*****THE OFFICIAL SEASON OPENING RAIDERS SUCK GAME THREAD****

ZachEY

Telling an older Jets fan that he should be more positive is like trying to sell a $300 pair of Air Jordans to someone who lived through the Great Depression.

You, sir, will break one day. They all do. Like YoungJetsFan (RIP probably), you will crumble and look back on this time of naïveté with shame and regret. See you on the other side, dawg.

Ha ha ha, listen I realize that my posts the last day or so make it seem like I have rainbows shooting out of my ass, but I do try to claim that I am a level headed poster and not someone with green shades on. I know that despite Geno's nearly perfect passing yesterday he absolutely has to clean up those fumbles and the"trying to do too much" sacks. 

With that said, I look forward to shining some light into this dark cesspool for as long as my young spirit will allow. Don't worry it probably won't be too long, once the newborn arrives in March I will probably be too sleep deprived/drunk on Sundays to make any coherent posts. :animal0029:  

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Jets have a very good defense and a great running attack. For all the naysayers about the OL, they looked pretty good yesterday. Most weeks against half the teams in the NFL that will be enough to win or at least be competitive. And next week with a Packers defense that is ridiculously overrated they should make a game of it. Fully expect the Jets to hang 200+ rushing yards on the Hawk/Matthews blond hair club for men crappy Pack defense.

Problem is when they get in a game when thety need to score 27-35 points, Geno Smith is not gonna get it done. The margin for error is next to nothing,which is how one circus catch TD by the Raiders at the end was so scary. This should have been a blowout, and it wasn't because of mistakes by Smith. That last sack was disgace that cost them 3 points and made what should have been a  3 score game a 2 score game.  We have learned need superior QB play to beat the better NFL teams. And we have seen enough bad QB play to know what we saw yesterday is not gonna get it done. Further when the CS running Wildcat down by the goalline they think that too. There is no other team in the NFL taking out it's starter in those situations.

There are some here who (young, new , what ever) who see Geno Smith not crap himself and think it's grounds for a Thanskgiving Day Parade. That's insane. The Report Card grade is is correct. This was a C to C minus. Is it so much to want a QB who is an asset rather than a lialbility?

A bit revisionist. Smith clearly made mistakes, but that was not the "only" reason they scored only 19. He probably had another good 100 yards through the air, including a 30 yard TD, taken away by penalties and drops. Not to mention the lost points as a result of those plays (the Salas TD mentioned, plus the Decker BS call made it 3rd & 16 on our 45 instead of 1st & 10 on Oakland's 27.

The fumbles are fixable. Probably the most fixable parts of a QB's game. The first one would have never been if he slid; the second one if he threw it away or just took the (shorter) sack. Both of those things come with experience and just gaining general awareness. If he was still doing that stuff by the end of the season, or into the next season or two, then it's inexcusable. But it's game 1 of his 2nd year. Young players make dumb mistakes.

I'd be much more concerned if he had serious accuracy problems, which he looked like he might have at times last year. The one thing I was hopeful for, last year, was that is passes were usually off-target by being consistently thrown behind his receivers. Consistently is good: it's fixable. If he was all over the place with the ball that's different, and a much bigger problem to fix. 

On his most off-target throw of the game, by far, Cumberland was still able to get a hand or two on it. Had he timed his jump differently it could have still been a catch. For the least-accurate throw of the game, that's pretty good IMO.

Go ahead and make a thread about the myopia of the team not going with Matt Simms over both Smith and Vick. 

A bit revisionist. Smith clearly made mistakes, but that was not the "only" reason they scored only 19. He probably had another good 100 yards through the air, including a 30 yard TD, taken away by penalties and drops. Not to mention the lost points as a result of those plays (the Salas TD mentioned, plus the Decker BS call made it 3rd & 16 on our 45 instead of 1st & 10 on Oakland's 27.

The fumbles are fixable. Probably the most fixable parts of a QB's game. The first one would have never been if he slid; the second one if he threw it away or just took the (shorter) sack. Both of those things come with experience and just gaining general awareness. If he was still doing that stuff by the end of the season, or into the next season or two, then it's inexcusable. But it's game 1 of his 2nd year. Young players make dumb mistakes.

I'd be much more concerned if he had serious accuracy problems, which he looked like he might have at times last year. The one thing I was hopeful for, last year, was that is passes were usually off-target by being consistently thrown behind his receivers. Consistently is good: it's fixable. If he was all over the place with the ball that's different, and a much bigger problem to fix. 

On his most off-target throw of the game, by far, Cumberland was still able to get a hand or two on it. Had he timed his jump differently it could have still been a catch. For the least-accurate throw of the game, that's pretty good IMO.

Go ahead and make a thread about the myopia of the team not going with Matt Simms over both Smith and Vick. 

It's hard to believe that only 2 years ago we were all collectively holding our breath every time Sanchez dropped back to pass with a legitimate fear that he would throw an interception to a ******* defensive lineman...and that was in his FOURTH year. 

I was a BIG Sanchez supporter and feel like he was handcuffed by Schotty's playcalling. With that said, just based off of this preseason and the first game, Geno is LIGHTYEARS ahead of where Mark was when he injured his shoulder vs. the Giants. 

did anybody happen to watch the highlight reel on NFLN? They showed 15 plays and all but 4 of them were negative Jets clips-unreal

I came into work this morning and a Cowboys fan, a friggin' Cowboys fan tried to talk smack to me as if beating the Raiders was somehow worse than getting trucked by the 49ers. 

The Jets are the only team that ever has to apologize for a win. 

I know Kleck...and believe me, I am not trying to divide our fan base into young(ers) vs old(er)s. Hell, I am 30 myself. I understand that I really started getting into football in around '98 which has really been somewhat of a golden era for Jets football (as much as we have had one at least).

While us younger fans have certainly had our fair share of heartbreak, it usually only has lasted 1 season or 2 at a time before the team is back in playoff contention, and the 2 AFC championship games were certainly a thrill of a ride to watch.

With that said, it gets pretty old that a handful of posters seemingly have to completely ignore statistics to take attempt to take away ALL of the positives out of a game that the Jets WON. Last time I checked, the amount of WINS determine who makes it into the playoffs, not the number of fumbles or ints, or the fact that the Jets played Oakland on the first day of the season.

Bottom line is that anyone who watched this team beat NO and NE last year knows that it isn't a stretch to say we could be coming out of Green Bay with a W next week. Certainly not an easy task and I wouldn't wager anything on it but to say we don't have a chance because we "barely" beat Oak this week is a flat out lie.  

a message board is a place for lunatics who have too much time to talk about a team who plays once a week.  If we only look at positives this place would be boring.  As fanatics, we focus too much on negatives because those are what are going to keep us from winning.  As much as it bothers you that some people only focus on negatives, it bothers us when people overlook the negatives and just live in the "we won a game be happy" world.  Of course we're all happy we're 1-0.  But its a boring circle jerk when there is no focus on the negative at all.  Its a message board, what the hell are we going to talk about if we are just happy every time we win???

a message board is a place for lunatics who have too much time to talk about a team who plays once a week.  If we only look at positives this place would be boring.  As fanatics, we focus too much on negatives because those are what are going to keep us from winning.  As much as it bothers you that some people only focus on negatives, it bothers us when people overlook the negatives and just live in the "we won a game be happy" world.  Of course we're all happy we're 1-0.  But its a boring circle jerk when there is no focus on the negative at all.  Its a message board, what the hell are we going to talk about if we are just happy every time we win???

Of you shouldn't just talk about positives. We can talk about negatives and we are. The difference is we don't think every minor negative is the end of the world. 

If the past 3 seasons set a trend for Jets fans, it's this:

1. Rex wins week 1 in an extremely unimpressive and unorganized fashion against a weak team.

2. One group of fans is concerned with how poor the team looked despite the W. Media doesn't think they looked all that great either. Other sect of fans on the board tells us we're all overreacting jerks who just don't know anything about sports and are big poopheads and if you win it's all that matters.

3. Rex holds at or around .500 through half of the season, continuously blowing opportunities that the first sect of fans predicted he'd do based on the problems observed in week 1.

4. Season finishes up, Rex finishes at or near .500 again, people forget by January how poorly coached the Jets look in too many games, we're told it's because weaponz and guys can't be coached up not to do this crap and that play calling doesn't matter and that it's not his fault that our offense runs insane sets inside the 5 like yesterday.

Rex dropped a wide open TD pass yesterday.

Rex threw an interception to Charles Woodson.

Rex fumbled on the 2 yard line.

Rex took a sack that put the team out of FG range.

Rex dropped a sure fire pick six and dropped another easy pick

Rex caused a fumble but its his fault the RB kicked it 30 feet in the air and the Jets didnt recover. 

Rex was also the reason for all the calls and non-calls from the refs.

1. Rex wins week 1 in an extremely unimpressive and unorganized fashion against a weak team.

2. One group of fans is concerned with how poor the team looked despite the W. Media doesn't think they looked all that great either. Other sect of fans on the board tells us we're all overreacting jerks who just don't know anything about sports and are big poopheads and if you win it's all that matters.

3. Rex holds at or around .500 through half of the season, continuously blowing opportunities that the first sect of fans predicted he'd do based on the problems observed in week 1.

4. Season finishes up, Rex finishes at or near .500 again, people forget by January how poorly coached the Jets look in too many games, we're told it's because weaponz and guys can't be coached up not to do this crap and that play calling doesn't matter and that it's not his fault that our offense runs insane sets inside the 5 like yesterday.

You've become adorable. 

It is fair to suggest master that if the Jets would had given Rex a decent QB over his tenure here, maybe just maybe this team wont be hob around 500?  To me, this year is very promising even with a safety playing CB in order to fill the most essential part of Rex's defense because ever since the last 5 games of last year and all the way thru the preseason and the first game;  This is the first time in a stretch where I seen the Jets offense driving across the field at will.  

Archived