Overreacting

stevegrunder

I will admit, I am as disappointed as any Jets fans with the start.

I am not thrilled with Rex's coaching, nor Marty's offense, nor Geno's QB play.

That said, we could very easily be 2-2 or 3-1 right now, and while we are not, I don't think things are as bad as everyone is making them out to be.

I think SD is a very winnable game next week. I watched that SD Jax game yesterday and I was not at all impressed with SD. I actually think we match up very well with them.

We have a few more tough games left, but then the schedule is far easier towards the end. Our division is really weak, even the Pats look like garbage.

There is plenty of time to turn this thing around right now, we have played well enough to be in every game, but had enough mistakes to lose them all. If we can cut out the BS mistakes, we can right the ship.

In Rex I still trust.

That said, we could very easily be 2-2 or 3-1 right now, and while we are not, I don't think things are as bad as everyone is making them out to be.

I think SD is a very winnable game next week. I watched that SD Jax game yesterday and I was not at all impressed with SD. I actually think we match up very well with them.

We have a few more tough games left, but then the schedule is far easier towards the end. Our division is really weak, even the Pats look like garbage.

There is plenty of time to turn this thing around right now, we have played well enough to be in every game, but had enough mistakes to lose them all. If we can cut out the BS mistakes, we can right the ship.

In Rex I still trust.

Even when the Pats look like they're going to have a down year, we always seem to suck just that much more than them.

You can't be serious with that post, can you?

Rivers went 29/39, for 377 yards, 3 TD's and 0 INT and the offense put up over 400 yards of total offense. And you were not impressed?

I'd love to hear your analysis as why this is a great match up for the Jets.

In Rex I still trust.

You also think the Jets are wining the division this year. :face: It's one thing to be optimistic, it's something completely different to be completely out of touch with reality, the Chargers could be the worst match up the Jets have faced yet.  

Really.....  you think that Geno, shaky confidence and happy feet can stand in against the Chargers?

Ok...

In Rex I still trust.

In Rex I still trust.

I guess I just have to ask.......why?

He hasn't won a thing since his second year here.  He (and his teams) have been on a consistent downswing from day one till now, worse almost every year than the year before.

He's avoided being fired, by costing literally everyone else around him their jobs.

He's missed the playoffs three years in a row, is now 1-3 and looking at a very real 1-6 start.

His Defenses, while highly ranked due to being very stout against the run, are pathetic against the predominant weapon in the NFL today, the pass.  They're decent on paper, but crack and fail, often giving up long drives to lose games, right when they're needed most.

His Offenses have been universally offensive, no matter who plays or who runs them.

I appreciate a desire for consistency, and I appreciate back-to-back AFCCG was very nice.

But at this point, are you really saying no other person in the entire world of Football Coaching could maybe, just maybe, do better here?

Rex has already gotten more chances than 90% of NFL first-time Head Caches have. 

No, losing year in 2014, means Rex is gone, and fantasies of sweeping our division to salvage this 'orrid start is just that, fantasy.  Right now we're the 4th team in our Division, not the best. 

In Rex I still trust.

When it comes to this team I am overly optimistic by nature. As disgusted as I am, and as much is this team makes me want to throw up, I dont see headed to SD and getting our doors blown off. My negative thoughts that I had last night and that I have the last 3 weeks are based on the direction of the team and the lack of a franchise type QB. Also knowing Rex will be gone and I just long for stability. As far as the next 3 games go I think we win 1. SD and NE are beatable. But to not be impressed with the Chargers is nuts. And to say we match up well is lip service. Can we win? Yes. In the NFL anything is possible. ( Bucs beating Pitt)  Be optimistic all you want, but dont fool yourself, this isn't a good matchup.

The Chargers are the best team the Jets have faced all season and will absolutely destroy the Jets in embarrassing fashion.

Its is completely as bad is as everyone is making it out to be.   Nobody is overreacting.  The Jets will be 1-6.  100% guaranteed.  Pretty sure fans are accurately upset right now.   Over the past 2 seasons the Jets have had 20 draft picks and a sh*t ton of money in cap space and they managed to field a bottom 5 roster in the NFL.

Love the optimism but I cant share it.  This team blows.

As easy as it is to argue that we could be 2-2 or 3-1 right now, it is also just as easy to argue that we could be 0-4.  If we were playing a better team than the Raiders week 1, we probably would have lost that one also with all of the penalties and turnovers.  Right now, this is just a bad, mistake prone football team.  Most of us that are down on the team are not just reacting to 4 games this year, but to a trend that we have seen over several years. Turning the ball over, making mistakes and giving up big plays while not forcing turnovers.  In the last 52 games, the Jets have had a positive turnover margin 13 times.  Once out of every four games.  Not good enough to win consistently in this league.

We're going 4-12.

If they dont bring in vick, yes. But after 1-5 or 1-6 (crystal ball hazy) they will bring vick in.

The Chargers are the best team the Jets have faced all season and will absolutely destroy the Jets in embarrassing fashion.

Its is completely as bad is as everyone is making it out to be.   Nobody is overreacting.  The Jets will be 1-6.  100% guaranteed.  Pretty sure fans are accurately upset right now.   Over the past 2 seasons the Jets have had 20 draft picks and a sh*t ton of money in cap space and they managed to field a bottom 5 roster in the NFL.

Love the optimism but I cant share it.  This team blows.

The jets are gonna quit in san diego. Theyve miraculously kept these games close but this is the one where the tape and pipe cleaners holding the team together disintegrate

The jets are gonna quit in san diego. Theyve miraculously kept these games close but this is the one where the tape and pipe cleaners holding the team together disintegrate

In the past few years, these are the games the Jets win which makes for reason for Rex to keep his job.  The guys won't quit against San Diego.  I'm kind of taking a blind leap of faith and saying that they will win this one.  San Diego is good though. No doubt about it

Rex Ryan's solution to the Jets' false start problems is to make the water boys and trainers do pushups.

Yes. Yes they are. Things are every bit as bad as everyone is making them out to be.

I don't think they are either.  We knew this stretch of games were going to be tough.  

In the past few years, these are the games the Jets win which makes for reason for Rex to keep his job.  The guys won't quit against San Diego.  I'm kind of taking a blind leap of faith and saying that they will win this one.  San Diego is good though. No doubt about it

I will grant you that jets under rex do have a habit of surprising your right before the last shovel of dirt goes into the grave, but this is a great football team on the road against an mvp-calibre qb that will blast our secondary into dust while our qb enjoys the final pieces of a complete meltdown

The overreaction is all these cries to start VIck over Geno. Sorry its too early for that. The JETS have to evaluate Geno who is only in his second year and the JETS need to see what he has got.

Where the JETS have got it wrong in this evaluation process is not surrounding him with enough talent. But what baffles me is the total lack of confidence shown by the coaching staff. Right from the first game in this season the unnecessary red zone trickeration which fooled no one and infact led to a turnover  has been baffling. The unnecessary introduction of Vick six times in six drive killing plays over three games has contributed to the struggles of the JETS offense.  And its the timing of when Vick has been introduced. Like in the game against GB Vick was introduced on the drive subsequent to Geno's turnover where Geno was hit due to Winters screw up. Not really Geno's fault. But the coaching staff shows how confident they are in Geno leading this team by introducing Vick on a play that went no where and killed the next drive.

It also showed in the yesterdays game plan in the first half which was super conservative. We were supposed to run the ball. Again on top of that we mismanage who amongst our RB's gets to see the field. Yesterday Ivory started hot and then was not on the field till the middle of the 2nd quarter. We sure do a great job of cooling the hot hand.

So we ask a QB to be super conservative with limited weapons at his disposal, mismanage who runs the ball and when our defense cannot hold the other team we ask him to be the next coming of Brett Favre.

I am not at all glad about the turnovers. The one INT was on Geno. He has to make better decisions. The fumble was one of the those bang bang calls where we have not been getting the refs call it our way. If the play had been called incomplete pass on the field it would have stayed as incomplete pass on review. But it was called a fumble and that's the way it stayed.

Despite that Geno did make some key plays. Converted some key third downs in the 2nd half. And when he found a somewhat reliable weapon in Amaro the offense looked more fluid. We only scored 3 points in that super conservative first half. But had two TD's in the second.

Losing is never fun. But if you think that the only reason we lost was Geno and replacing Geno fixes everything that you are way wrong. Unless Geno really melts down there is no point replacing him. The JETS needs to see if he can be the guy. I think that is the sane approach witht he long term in view.  I think its in the JETS interest to find that Geno is the guy and they can spend all the minimum required cap space building around him. If not they have to draft a QB in the next seasons draft.

All those guys who are rooting for Vick to start have to answer what happens if Vick fails or turnovers the ball like he has done the past two seasons. What will you suggest we do then ? And keep in mind Matt Simms is not the correct answer.

The overreaction is all these cries to start VIck over Geno. Sorry its too early for that. The JETS have to evaluate Geno who is only in his second year and the JETS need to see what he has got.

Where the JETS have got it wrong in this evaluation process is not surrounding him with enough talent. But what baffles me is the total lack of confidence shown by the coaching staff. Right from the first game in this season the unnecessary red zone trickeration which fooled no one and infact led to a turnover  has been baffling. The unnecessary introduction of Vick six times in six drive killing plays over three games has contributed to the struggles of the JETS offense.  And its the timing of when Vick has been introduced. Like in the game against GB Vick was introduced on the drive subsequent to Geno's turnover where Geno was hit due to Winters screw up. Not really Geno's fault. But the coaching staff shows how confident they are in Geno leading this team by introducing Vick on a play that went no where and killed the next drive.

It also showed in the yesterdays game plan in the first half which was super conservative. We were supposed to run the ball. Again on top of that we mismanage who amongst our RB's gets to see the field. Yesterday Ivory started hot and then was not on the field till the middle of the 2nd quarter. We sure do a great job of cooling the hot hand.

So we ask a QB to be super conservative with limited weapons at his disposal, mismanage who runs the ball and when our defense cannot hold the other team we ask him to be the next coming of Brett Favre.

I am not at all glad about the turnovers. The one INT was on Geno. He has to make better decisions. The fumble was one of the those bang bang calls where we have not been getting the refs call it our way. If the play had been called incomplete pass on the field it would have stayed as incomplete pass on review. But it was called a fumble and that's the way it stayed.

Despite that Geno did make some key plays. Converted some key third downs in the 2nd half. And when he found a somewhat reliable weapon in Amaro the offense looked more fluid. We only scored 3 points in that super conservative first half. But had two TD's in the second.

Losing is never fun. But if you think that the only reason we lost was Geno and replacing Geno fixes everything that you are way wrong. Unless Geno really melts down there is no point replacing him. The JETS needs to see if he can be the guy. I think that is the sane approach witht he long term in view.  I think its in the JETS interest to find that Geno is the guy and they can spend all the minimum required cap space building around him. If not they have to draft a QB in the next seasons draft.

All those guys who are rooting for Vick to start have to answer what happens if Vick fails or turnovers the ball like he has done the past two seasons. What will you suggest we do then ? And keep in mind Matt Simms is not the correct answer.

So if the lack of talent makes evaluation of geno impossible, what is to be gained by continuing to roll him out there with the same cast? Thats why i cant accept the lack of weapons thing, although i understand its appeal, because it is entitely circular in nature and suggests that because evaluations are impossible (of the skill players because of poor qb play, and of the qb because of lack of talent among the skill players), that the team is basically paralyzed from making any changes whatsoever.

So if the lack of talent makes evaluation of geno impossible, what is to be gained by continuing to roll him out there with the same cast? Thats why i cant accept the lack of weapons thing, although i understand its appeal, because it is entitely circular in nature and suggests that because evaluations are impossible (of the skill players because of poor qb play, and of the qb because of lack of talent among the skill players), that the team is basically paralyzed from making any changes whatsoever.

Did a Patsie troll hijack your account. This kindda response would have made a Patsie troll proud.

Hard to differentiate the darksiders from the patsies sometime, i will agree with you, but doesnt make it innaccurate.

That was the mother of all pointless arguments and accuracy does not even come into play.

I wont expect to get trolled like that on a JETS website. :)

Atleast if its a Patsie troll i can abuse the eff out of them.

That was the mother of all pointless arguments and accuracy does not even come into play.

I wont expect to get trolled like that on a JETS website. :)

Atleast if its a Patsie troll i can abuse the eff out of them.

I request and receive no protection, abuse away

But at this point, are you really saying no other person in the entire world of Football Coaching could maybe, just maybe, do better here?

Remember when everyone said Schotty was terrible and no one could be worse? And then Sparano was actually much worse? 

Yes there are better coaches than Rex Ryan out there. There's like a dozen maybe. None of them want this job. 

The head coaching market is as poor as the free agent QB market. Good teams don't usually let their good coaches go.  And good coaches usually don't leave on their own.  It's a supply and demand situation. 

Remember when everyone said Schotty was terrible and no one could be worse? And then Sparano was actually much worse? 

Yes there are better coaches than Rex Ryan out there. There's like a dozen maybe. None of them want this job. 

The head coaching market is as poor as the free agent QB market. Good teams don't usually let their good coaches go.  And good coaches usually don't leave on their own.  It's a supply and demand situation. 

so keep Rexy???? what for?

I am as darksider as they come and i dont want rex gone, i just want vick in to accomplish two things: see how geno reacts to being benched and see if vick has enough in the tank for one more year to start and groom our next high draft pick qb, if it comes to that

I'm just gonna go ahead and leave this here:

here's a question

if the Jets fire mangini

who are they gonna get who is guarunteed to be any better?

I am as darksider as they come and i dont want rex gone, i just want vick in to accomplish two things: see how geno reacts to being benched and see if vick has enough in the tank for one more year to start and groom our next high draft pick qb, if it comes to that

That's why I can't see the downside in benching Smith.  He seems totally rattled right now, and the fans have turned.  Another bad game and he will hit Sanchez status.  If Vick starts 1 of 3 things can happen.  All good for Smith and or the fan base

1)  Most likely Vick will be hurt shortly.  Smith is reinstated.  The fans have no one to chant for, and just don't show up.

2) Vick sucks.  Smith is reinstated.  The fans have no one to chant for, and just don't show up

3)  Smith is OK, but not good with the surrounding cast.  Jets pick Winston, who gets to sit behind Vick for a while, fans are excited when Winston gets to play.

Win- Win 

There is no such thing as overreaction. With only 3/4 of the season left to play and all the division and conference games, there's no coming back from this. As if losing to the Packers on the road wasn't enough....as if losing to a diabetic AT HOME wasn't enough....The LIONS? At home!?!? My god man...Mah gawd kang!

That's why I can't see the downside in benching Smith.  He seems totally rattled right now, and the fans have turned.  Another bad game and he will hit Sanchez status.  If Vick starts 1 of 3 things can happen.  All good for Smith and or the fan base

1)  Most likely Vick will be hurt shortly.  Smith is reinstated.  The fans have no one to chant for, and just don't show up.

2) Vick sucks.  Smith is reinstated.  The fans have no one to chant for, and just don't show up

3)  Smith is OK, but not good with the surrounding cast.  Jets pick Winston, who gets to sit behind Vick for a while, fans are excited when Winston gets to play.

Win- Win 

Florida biased aside, does Winston scream success to you in the NFL?  He's dumb as a box of rocks and he's not that special of a passer from what I've seen.  He reminds me of Lienart with USC.  Looks the part because they play the cream puffs of the NCAA week in week out, finding wide open receivers on his primary read.  I just dont see Winston dissecting a defense and putting the ball through a window which is necessary in the NFL.

That said, he's a hard talent to pass on...but I just dont see that guy panning out in the NFL.  He's really ******* stupid.

Florida biased aside, does Winston scream success to you in the NFL?  He's dumb as a box of rocks and he's not that special of a passer from what I've seen.  He reminds me of Lienart with USC.  Looks the part because they play the cream puffs of the NCAA week in week out, finding wide open receivers on his primary read.  I just dont see Winston dissecting a defense and putting the ball through a window which is necessary in the NFL.

That said, he's a hard talent to pass on...but I just dont see that guy panning out in the NFL.  He's really ******* stupid.

I'm a Canes fan so I should be biased against Winston (this is a tough football season for me).

I agree that Winston has showed that he has rocks in his head off the field.  Very immature.  But on the field he has shown excellent football instincts.   Seems to see the whole field, and has all the physical tools.  6' 4"  230, strong arm, ect.

I should hate this kid but every time I see him play I come away very impressed.  IMO I think with a lil maturity he is going to be an excellent NFL QB.

He would probably be best served staying in school one more year, but I doubt he will.  Don't think he is having as much fun as he did last year, and the lure of the money is going to the NFL next season.  I think he will be the best QB since Luck.

His off field non-sense might make him fall a few spots to where he might be in reach of the Jets.  Depending how long Rex waits to pull the cord on Smith.

JMHO

Archived