START MATT SIMMS

CobraVerde

the only thing left to give meaning to this season is if Simms gets some run.  I can't remember the last time we were playing meaningless games early in October. At least give us a chance to check out if we have something in Simms. He has a great arm, is mobile... why not us? (getting lucky and finding lighting in a bottle).  I admit I was psyched for Clemens, and Brooks Bollinger and Tim Tebow- because the seasons were lost and there was nothing to lose anyway.  Just because those guys didn't pan out, doesn't mean we shouldn't try the next bum, er guy and see what he's got. We kinda know what we got in Geno and Vick.  C'mon, put Simms in so at least for one game (or quarter) I'll have a reason to get psyched.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why is Simms on the roster at all?

The #3 QB spot is supposed to be your Developmental/Future QB spot.

I get that the NFL basically works under the "The Future is Now, Start the Rookie" mentality, but we don't.....so again, wtf is Simms on the roster if he's a total non-entity never worth playing when those in front fail to perform utterly?

I don't think Simms is any answer. But the guy in that sport should be a potential answer, so why isn't he?

Simms isn't on the roster, he's on the practice squad. 

Great points by cobra.

IMO, when they didnt put Vick in to start the second half against Detroit, I interpreted that to mean they're going with Geno the ENTIRE season.

Why play Vick? He was here in case Geno went down injured. He didnt get injured; he just proved himself incapable an unreliable.

What happens if he gets injured now? You start Vick, the one year rental and go back to Geno next year? What's the thought process? Start Simms and see what you have.

I'm watching the rest of the season for the same reason I rubber neck at this point.

Wouldn't be the least bit surprised if NE snatched him off the PS so they'd be an injury away from not having a second QB.

Aty a loss why Simms is not on the 53. The Jets told us they needed several spots for special teams, but they have the worst special teams in the NFL. So right now there is a very good chance the Jets could lose Simms to protect the likes of Nick Bellore or Tommy Bohannon. That is really, Really, REALLY f__ing stupid.

I have never seen Gino as a starting NFL qb and supported  the less than accurate Sanchez over him last year.  The G man has done nothing to show he is an NFL caliber QB. He was successful at WV with two NFL caliber pass catchers and even his successes here were generally not the result of great throws. Simms seems to be a nice kid but hasn't shown much either although he seems to have the head of NFL qb-its at least worth a shot. A parting shot at Itzik-he got the job here because he was hanging around the draft room in Seattle seems to have interviewed well with the man born to the right family. All that being said -by a matter of elimination Simms is the only viable alternative at the moment so it is not an outrageous idea to give him a legitimate shot. Unfortunately it is probably not going to happen.

I have never seen Gino as a starting NFL qb and supported  the less than accurate Sanchez over him last year.  The G man has done nothing to show he is an NFL caliber QB. He was successful at WV with two NFL caliber pass catchers and even his successes here were generally not the result of great throws. Simms seems to be a nice kid but hasn't shown much either although he seems to have the head of NFL qb-its at least worth a shot. A parting shot at Itzik-he got the job here because he was hanging around the draft room in Seattle seems to have interviewed well with the man born to the right family. All that being said -by a matter of elimination Simms is the only viable alternative at the moment so it is not an outrageous idea to give him a legitimate shot. Unfortunately it is probably not going to happen.

The fact that it isn't going to happen, is a reflection of our decision makes and how closed minded they are. Woody leads the charge. The choice like Idzik over Tom Gamble is inexplicable.  

I don't think Simms is a starting NFL QB. That said, another two weeks of Geno sucktitude and you might as well start Simms and see if he has anything at all.

Vick is worthless, was another in a long line of dumb, pointless Idzik moves, and even if we split the next two and are 2-5, we are not making a playoff run.

Aty a loss why Simms is not on the 53. The Jets told us they needed several spots for special teams, but they have the worst special teams in the NFL. So right now there is a very good chance the Jets could lose Simms to protect the likes of Nick Bellore or Tommy Bohannon. That is really, Really, REALLY f__ing stupid.

then they would sign another mediocre super backup QB.

I don't think Simms is a starting NFL QB. That said, another two weeks of Geno sucktitude and you might as well start Simms and see if he has anything at all.

Vick is worthless, was another in a long line of dumb, pointless Idzik moves, and even if we split the next two and are 2-5, we are not making a playoff run.

Can't beleive we wasted $5mil in cap space on the dog-killer and still took a pass on Desean Jackson and Revis or Cro.

We were lucky to beat the Raiders and would have absolutely lost to them if we had played in Oakland. This franchise is a disaster from top to bottom.

bad season =/= disastrous franchise. take a good look at the Browns. the Jets' biggest misfortune for the last 14 years is being in the same division as Tom Brady.

could we try to maintain some perspective?

bad season =/= disastrous franchise. take a good look at the Browns. the Jets' biggest misfortune for the last 14 years is being in the same division as Tom Brady.

could we try to maintain some perspective?

And the Browns are currently a better than us with two QB's more talented than Geno.  The Raiders are arguably a more talented team - they would have crushed us if we played that game in Oakland.  If you want to dwell on us making the playoffs a couple times the previous decade fine I'm talking about now and moving forward. 

The Jets are currently the worst run franchise in the NFL.  No playoffs for 4 years and bottom 5 talent on the roster with an incompetent GM and Head Coach who is incapable of coaching up a bad roster.

Stupid Owner

Lame GM

Head Coach way over his head

Lousy Roster

And the Browns are currently a better than us with two QB's more talented than Geno. The Raiders are arguably a more talented team - they would have crushed us if we played that game in Oakland. If you want to dwell on us making the playoffs a couple times the previous decade fine I'm talking about now and moving forward.

The Jets are currently the worst run franchise in the NFL. No playoffs for 4 years and bottom 5 talent on the roster with an incompetent GM and Head Coach who is incapable of coaching up a bad roster.

Stupid Owner

Lame GM

Head Coach way over his head

Lousy Roster

perspective: it's one season during a rebuilding phase. this team OVERACHIEVED last season. the head coach will be gone at the end of the season. the GM has had one real offseason and it's actually too early to entirely evaluate the drafts. the owner is dumb, but he's not going anywhere.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/evaluation/_/id/103632/matt-simms

" Simms is an accurate pocket passer who understands timing and rhythm. Obviously comes from a solid QB pedigree and understands the game. Has solid size. He gets set quickly and works through his progressions. Sees the field well and does not hold onto the ..."

Can  someone post the full report? I dont have insider.

[

perspective: it's one season during a rebuilding phase. this team OVERACHIEVED last season. the head coach will be gone at the end of the season. the GM has had one real offseason and it's actually too early to entirely evaluate the drafts. the owner is dumb, but he's not going anywhere.

We're 4 years into this "rebuilding plan."  Jets fans acting like this organization has any clue how to fix itself are delusional.  The owner, GM, coaching staff are all lost in their own world.  What in the name of Tim Tebow has to happen for Jets fans to realize this team is lost cause until the owner sells the team or at least gives the keys to someone with some credibility.

4 years with no playoffs and the worst team in the NFL = Jets fans have no right to point fingers at Oakland or Cleveland and say "we're better than u" we are not.

[

We're 4 years into this "rebuilding plan." Jets fans acting like this organization has any clue how to fix itself are delusional. The owner, GM, coaching staff are all lost in their own world. What in the name of Tim Tebow has to happen for Jets fans to realize this team is lost cause until the owner sells the team or at least gives the keys to someone with some credibility.

except we're NOT 4 years into a rebuilding plan. Tanny was never rebuilding, he was desperately clinging to his position with gimmicks and cap busting FA signings. last year's team was a direct result of Tannenbaum's ineptitude.

except we're NOT 4 years into a rebuilding plan. Tanny was never rebuilding, he was desperately clinging to his position with gimmicks and cap busting FA signings. last year's team was a direct result of Tannenbaum's ineptitude.

Idzikiot has actually managed to make the team worse after 2 years.  Great rebuilding plan.

Idzikiot has actually managed to make the team worse after 2 years. Great rebuilding plan.

Idzik had absolutely no money to work with last offseason because Tannenbaum was an atrocious GM who killed our cap, and then Rex managed to land Sanchez on the IR when Smith really needed to ride the bench. you're being hysterical.

• 3 weeks later...

Jets are waiting for some other team to sign him off their practice squad so they can hang onto the likes of Tommy Bohannan, The Terminator or Nick Bellore instead. So they can whine like girls how nobody signs away the PS 3rd QB. 

Archived