NEED TO REPLACE REX AND GENO - Who are the Candidates?

Latinlawyer

Ok, So I think a vast majority of fans awoke this morning with a severe hangover after watching that garbage the Jets spewed in SD.

Since it looks like we need a HC and QB replacement, I ask all of you, who would you hire/draft/sign as an FA to replace these two?

Coach wise, Harbaugh (SF), Chucky (Espn) even Cowher has to be discussed.

QB wise...I have no clue, who is a pocket QB with presence who is not the product of a gimmicky offense? Is there a FA QB the Jets should target?

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like Chucky...w/o the tuck rule  he would have taken two different teams to the SB in two seasons...pretty damn impressive IMO.  He knows offense and did wonders for Rich Gannon's career.  Chucky as HC, Gannon to run the offense or at least be QB coach.

Hey. A new topic. Interesting.

It is new in the sense that it's not just saying "let's fire Rex", but it's asking for top choices to replace him and offers some suggestions.  I like that idea rather than going through pages and pages of "fire Rex" stuff to find preferred candidates.  JMO of course.

I like Chucky...w/o the tuck rule  he would have taken two different teams to the SB in two seasons...pretty damn impressive IMO.  He knows offense and did wonders for Rich Gannon's career.  Chucky as HC, Gannon to run the offense or at least be QB coach.

I agree. Chucky would never have put up with the whole "Sorry Coach, I was watching a movie and was late to meetings." The penalties, sloppy play and overall bad management lands squarely on the coach. Get Chucky in here.

It is new in the sense that it's not just saying "let's fire Rex", but it's asking for top choices to replace him and offers some suggestions.  I like that idea rather than going through pages and pages of "fire Rex" stuff to find preferred candidates.  JMO of course.

My apologies, then. Bouncing back and forth between these and the Miami Hurricane forums I can't remember which 'fire this guy and hire this guy' threads I've read. Sad football season, indeed.

Its easy to say Fire Rex and Geno but you also should be prepared to at least ask or recommend who replaces them. Its better to discuss how we make this situation better. Idzik is not going anywhere. He is here for 5 years at least so you have to address the areas that can be replaced...namely the HC and QB.

My apologies, then. Bouncing back and forth between these and the Miami Hurricane forums I can't remember which 'fire this guy and hire this guy' threads I've read. Sad football season, indeed.

Yup...gonna' be a long one.

Ok So Gruden, some support for Bevell, any others?

What about QB's? Any FA QB's hitting the market? Which college QB looks good in the college ranks that comes from a pro-set offense school?

Mariota seems like a consensus #1 at this point.. I wasn't sold on him but after seeing the hype I'm a little more open. I'm just concerned about the dual-threat aspect. Hope he's more Andrew Luck than RGIII, I guess.

Edit: Not from a pro-style offense, either.

And keep Jameis Winston as far as possible away from this team, while we're on the matter.

NO JAMEIS WINSTON...THAT GUY IS A HEAD CASE. Mariota seems like the best QB on the board...however, the fact that he does not come from a Pro-set O gives me agita....however, what if we draft Mariota AND hire that school's O Coordinator? That would ensure he has the same system in the NFL as well....continuity.

Thoughts?

Idz needs to be fired before anyone else. It all starts at the top

Disagree. This is a coaching issue. Ryan has been very inflexible with his defense constantly calling these exotic blitzes that everyone blocks effectively giving up the big play and 3rd downs. Needs to tone it down on 3rd downs and play more straight up smashmouth defense. Offensively I really don't know what the Morningafter is doing - particularly with a bull like Ivory.

"Connor Halliday (WSU) QB - When pundits talk about the best quarterbacks in the country, the usual names include Oregon's Marcus Mariota, Florida State's Jameis Winston (NO WAY WE PICK THIS GUY...he is radioactive trash), UCLA's Brett Hundley and Baylor's Bryce PettySo it's no wonder that Halliday's name comes up less often in that discussion. He's not even considered the top guy in his own league."

Is Halliday a sleeper?

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/24739572/mock-draft-three-qbs-projected-in-top-10-but-not-at-no-1

LOL...they have us not choosing a QB in rd 1..instead its:

5. New York Jets - Randy Gregory, DE, Nebraska: Gregory may line up as a traditional 4-3 defensive end for the Cornhuskers but he's also capable of rushing out of the two-point stance. Adding playmakers on offense would seem to be the logical route for the rocket-fuel-needy Jets, but as long as Rex Ryan is calling the shots, the focus will be on defense.

Bye Bye Rex, we need a HC who doesn't focus on the D to the detriment of the O.

My thought at the beginning of the year was Bevell out of Seattle as the next coach. Ties to Idzik, offensive-minded. Groomed Russel Wilson.

So Idzik should stay and provide more product like we had on the field yesterday?

Honestly, in our position, we'd be best drafting an offensive lineman

Not in Rd 1. We need a FRANCHISE QB and unless we can get one through FA then we need to draft one in Rd. 1.

Looks like we would need to finish in top 3 to get Mariotta...however, other teams could jump up to get him.

Not in Rd 1. We need a FRANCHISE QB and unless we can get one through FA then we need to draft one in Rd. 1.

Looks like we would need to finish in top 3 to get Mariotta...however, other teams could jump up to get him.

Mariota is not going to declare if it means getting drafted by the NY Jets

Besides, what QB has a shot with our offensive line anyway? Mangold, Ferguson, both coming into their twilight. The rest of the line is patchwork and the depth is even worse.

We need line

So Idzik should stay and provide more product like we had on the field yesterday?

The argument will always be that he was saddled with a coach and deserves a shot with his own guy. Terrible personnel decisions and drafting notwithstanding.. that's still the argument. I don't see him going anywhere.

Archived