Lots of hate for Idzik today on a national level

AFJF

Everyone wants to trash Idzik, because Idzik is a faceless boring office drone, and is not winning a title in his 2nd year after being forced to keep Rex and many of "Rex's guys".

Everyone (seems, IMO) to want to protect Rex Ryan, the REAL problem of this franchise today, because he is a like-able, entertaining clown-car of a quote-dropping car wreck, because he's fun, he sells NY papers and he wins over gullible fans who like rah rah college-style bullsh*t.

It's a joke.

The problem is not how the team is built the last year and a half or planned going forward, or how we operated last offseason, we operated the right way, signing BAP veterans at positions of need (#2 QB, #1WR, #1RB), and drafting to fill other positions considered to be lesser need (#2 CB, #1 Safety, #3/#4 WR). we didn't overspend, we didn't go all Dan Snyder, we held back some to build for the future while trying to put a competitor on the field now.

Had Geno not been a total crock of sh*t, we might just have been ok. Had we not lost BOTH Milliner and the Rookie CB, we might have been ok.

It's the clown Head Coach, and the 2nd round pick nobody QB that was best available in a bad lot and forced to play because Rex's OTHER guy was such a colossal failure.

It's stunning to me the mass-effort to protect Rex from Rex's record, and to blame anyone and everyone for the problems OTHER than the guy most culpable for them, Rex Ryan.

The problem is that Izdick sucks at drafting. Geno was a bad pick, Milliner is looking like a bad pick, Saunders was a crap pick, and Pryor is looking like utter sh*t. The dude sucks on drafting, which is a major problem since his entire plan is to build through the draft.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They need to overhaul the scouting department.  How Terry Bradway is still around with his utter failure to identify any mid-round talent is baffling.

They fired nearly the whole scouting department last season after the draft.  This is Idzik's scouting department.  They need to overhaul the GM

Idzik deserves the blame for right now a terrible draft this year.  Whiffing on  a draft is not good in any sport to be competitive. Rex is a likeable guy- have some beers with that is one reason some like him no matter what.

it is worse than whiffing. i can understand if denver "whiffs" on some WRs or the don't make an impact year one (their second round WR hasn't been active for all/most games) because it is already a talented group to begin with. but failing to land offensive players to supplant the trash we are currently fielding? that actually has to be pretty tough to do.

I could live with bad draft picks; even the good teams have their share of busts. On the other hand, Whiffing on known players in free agency is unacceptable.

Chris Johnson was signed to reignite our offense as a 200 carry back in a favorable system, now he is barely getting a handful of carries a game. he is the kind of guy that quits when things don't go his way, so good luck with managing him from now on.

less said about the patterson thing, the better. What a pathetic attempt to shore up a weakened secondary.

giving vick $5 million for holding a clipboard, nice move.

and then $20 mil left over.

I could live with bad draft picks; even the good teams have their share of busts. On the other hand, Whiffing on known players in free agency is unacceptable.

Chris Johnson was signed to reignite our offense as a 200 carry back in a favorable system, now he is barely getting a handful of carries a game. he is the kind of guy that quits when things don't go his way, so good luck with managing him from now on.

less said about the patterson thing, the better. What a pathetic attempt to shore up a weakened secondary.

spot on. We have like four separate people in the building making personnel decisions. 

yup and it was 12 picks in a historically deep draft. Teams get 7 picks a year 2014 is almost two whole drafts worth of failure.

I giggle a little bit when I see people use the term "historically deep draft." Because it's a stupid, unquantifiable thing with no meaning. What position group is yielding superstars drafted beyond the third round this year?

They fired nearly the whole scouting department last season after the draft.  This is Idzik's scouting department.  They need to overhaul the GM

No argument on Idzik, he has left this team with huge holes and it was his job to plug them.  The draft was a disaster.  Idzik may have tossed some people overboard, but the Jets never seem to get any stud sleepers in the middle rounds and this has been going on since Bradway appeared on the scene.  I'm sure Idzik is going nowhere, so he needs to give Bradway two behind the ear asap.  

Everyone wants to trash Idzik, because Idzik is a faceless boring office drone, and is not winning a title in his 2nd year after being forced to keep Rex and many of "Rex's guys".

Everyone (seems, IMO) to want to protect Rex Ryan, the REAL problem of this franchise today, because he is a like-able, entertaining clown-car of a quote-dropping car wreck, because he's fun, he sells NY papers and he wins over gullible fans who like rah rah college-style bullsh*t.

It's a joke.

The problem is not how the team is built the last year and a half or planned going forward, or how we operated last offseason, we operated the right way, signing BAP veterans at positions of need (#2 QB, #1WR, #1RB), and drafting to fill other positions considered to be lesser need (#2 CB, #1 Safety, #3/#4 WR). we didn't overspend, we didn't go all Dan Snyder, we held back some to build for the future while trying to put a competitor on the field now.

Had Geno not been a total crock of sh*t, we might just have been ok. Had we not lost BOTH Milliner and the Rookie CB, we might have been ok.

It's the clown Head Coach, and the 2nd round pick nobody QB that was best available in a bad lot and forced to play because Rex's OTHER guy was such a colossal failure.

It's stunning to me the mass-effort to protect Rex from Rex's record, and to blame anyone and everyone for the problems OTHER than the guy most culpable for them, Rex Ryan.

POTMFY

Typical blame the mistress/forgive the husband nonsense, as if all of the Jets personnel problems began 20 months ago. It's six years of the same crap. Connect the dots, morons.

What players would you have bought with $20 mil this past offseason that would be making a difference right now?

It's a joke.

Who is protecting Rex Ryan in this entire mess? His short-comings are well documented and just because one spends their time focusing on Idzik's failures doesn't mean they're absolving Rex from responsibility in this mess.

I'm fine with Rex being fired after this year, but only if Idzik gets fired along with him. Idzik has had two years and 19 draft picks to improve this roster. This team, talent wise, is in worse shape today than it was two years ago. The only saving grace is that we have cap room, which should make this an attractive destination for the next GM.

They can both be at fault. Here's a fact, the GM has fielded one of the worst rosters in football in year 2

Agree to disagree. I don't think it's close to "the worst roster in football" as it was built.

Losing your #1 and (rookie) #2 CB, and your #1 WR and #3 WR's thus far, is a hard pill for any team to swallow. If we had a HOF QB, we might have been ok....

Combine with having a complete bust of a #1 QB, as well as the new RB being a bust, and Rex being completely incaappable of coaching up "his guys" left in the D-backfield, and here we are.

Not rocket science.

Yes, Geno is on Idzik (what was the alternative really?), as are the mid-round WR busts. Completely.

If watching Rex fail utterly (again) is enough, in year 2, to want to fire Idzik, so be it.

But he isn't going to be fired. Rex is. That's just the way it is, and the way it should be. Rex got six years to fail. Idzik will get at least three, and at least one with HIS own guy coaching the team, not the guy he inherited. That's how the NFL works most times.

looks to have completely whiffed on the draft

#1 Safety Pryor looks like he'll be fine in time, and is likely a reliable starter going forward.

#2 TE Jace Amaro has looked good (and would look better with a decent QB) and is likely a reliable starter going forward.

#3 McDougle is hurt, call that a "don't know", but no reason to expect his career to be over yet.

#4 on.....looks pretty bad, I agree. 9 mid to late picks, most non-entities. Not good, no.

But if we get three reliable/quality starters, that's not a whiff IMO.

And that comes after picking 5 starters in 7 picks the year before.

It's tough to lay the Best Avilable FA guys on him frankly, I expected more from Decker than an injury, and more from Vick and C.J. that total abject sh*t.

Almost everyone agreed with these pickups at the time, now they want to claim they didn't....

and his hand chosen Qb and has 20M sitting on the sidelines.

"hand chosen" is a bit of an exaggeration, isn't it?

Stopgap investment is more like it. He picked a "fell out of the first" 2nd round guy in a spot where that guy was BAP/Value at a position we were transitioning at. That's hardly picking Geno Smith #1 Overall. I fully expect Geno Smith to be either gone, or the #2/#2 next year.

You don't get a pass for all that, despite the attempts to completely blame a coach who has had success at this level.

Rex's only success was inheriting another Coaches roster, and making the D and running game work.

Since then, he's taken a four year nosedive of failure, where it's clear he's outmatched.

Rex needs to go, but defending Idzik is absurd

Rex is all but gone.

Idzik won't be. Hope you can come to terms with that, or you're in for a bad short-term future.

idzik has blame to take, but nothing approaching our clown-car checked-out already Head Coach.

What players would you have bought with $20 mil this past offseason that would be making a difference right now?

the 10 mill devoted to Vick and CJ wouldnt have happened to start- so were at 30 mill.

So with 30 mill, there were a ton of guys. Brandon Flowers we didnt even blink at...

the 10 mill devoted to Vick and CJ wouldnt have happened to start- so were at 30 mill.

So with 30 mill, there were a ton of guys. Brandon Flowers we didnt even blink at...

Vick and CJ are fill-ins who won't be here next year. Their signings were meant to get the team through 2014. And Brandon Flowers was on the street a year after sucking in the same defense that's currently being run here. Bob Sutton is their DC.

The problem is that Izdick sucks at drafting. Geno was a bad pick, Milliner is looking like a bad pick, Saunders was a crap pick, and Pryor is looking like utter sh*t. The dude sucks on drafting, which is a major problem since his entire plan is to build through the draft.

Maybe the guy in charge of coaching/developing the players is incompetent. Don't think Idzik picked Pryor without Rex's input / blessing. Please.

Vick and CJ are fill-ins who won't be here next year. Their signings were meant to get the team through 2014. And Brandon Flowers was on the street a year after sucking in the same defense that's currently being run here. Bob Sutton is their DC.

Seems the fill in players were to get butts in seats if anything- pointless moves if you ask me. Flowers would have been at least a fill in move that made sense.

You don't think there was anyone available in this FA class that was worth us going after to be here for the long term? 

Forfeiting the remainder of the season would actually be in our best interest. Not even kidding...there is no one on this roster we're currently developing. I'd rather save the 4 or 5 ok players we have for next year.

No argument on Idzik, he has left this team with huge holes and it was his job to plug them.  The draft was a disaster.  Idzik may have tossed some people overboard, but the Jets never seem to get any stud sleepers in the middle rounds and this has been going on since Bradway appeared on the scene.  I'm sure Idzik is going nowhere, so he needs to give Bradway two behind the ear asap.  

Hard to figure out what is going on with Bradway.  He was a Parcells guy who came to the Jets with a great rep as a talent finder.  Sucked as GM, but in a very unusual move stayed on after Mike T took over.

If I had to guess I suspect it was Bradway who leaked to the press that everyone was not on board with Smith

Agree to disagree. I don't think it's close to "the worst roster in football" as it was built. Losing your #1 and (rookie) #2 CB, and your #1 WR and #3 WR's thus far, is a hard pill for any team to swallow. If we had a HOF QB, we might have been ok.... Combine with having a complete bust of a #1 QB, as well as the new RB being a bust, and Rex being completely incaappable of coaching up "his guys" left in the D-backfield, and here we are. Not rocket science. Yes, Geno is on Idzik (what was the alternative really?), as are the mid-round WR busts. Completely. If watching Rex fail utterly (again) is enough, in year 2, to want to fire Idzik, so be it. But he isn't going to be fired. Rex is. That's just the way it is, and the way it should be. Rex got six years to fail. Idzik will get at least three, and at least one with HIS own guy coaching the team, not the guy he inherited. That's how the NFL works most times.

Relying on a third round pick to be you #2 CB is dumb

Relying on a second year guy who spent 12 games looking like horsecrap last year to be your #1 CB  is also dumb

Decker isn't a #1 and they had 0 behind him other then Kerley, and wiffed on 3 draft picks in a WR heavy draft. Although, Decker is the only thing he did right the entire off season

Idzik signed the RB who sucks

Idzik drafted the QB who sucks, and failed to get a reasonable alternative

#1 Safety Pryor looks like he'll be fine in time, and is likely a reliable starter going forward. #2 TE Jace Amaro has looked good (and would look better with a decent QB) and is likely a reliable starter going forward. #3 McDougle is hurt, call that a "don't know", but no reason to expect his career to be over yet. #4 on.....looks pretty bad, I agree. 9 mid to late picks, most non-entities. Not good, no. But if we get three reliable/quality starters, that's not a whiff IMO

A "reliable" safety in mid first round is not fine, particularly when that is the top thing you can say about a draft with 12 picks. 

"hand chosen" is a bit of an exaggeration, isn't it? Stopgap investment is more like it. He picked a "fell out of the first" 2nd round guy in a spot where that guy was BAP/Value at a position we were transitioning at. That's hardly picking Geno Smith #1 Overall. I fully expect Geno Smith to be either gone, or the #2/#2 next year.

Handpicked =  i have yet to see him bring in a viable alternative in 2 off seasons. Kyle Orton just won a game for buffalo. Did Vick even complete a pass?

Rex's only success was inheriting another Coaches roster, and making the D and running game work. Since then, he's taken a four year nosedive of failure, where it's clear he's outmatched.

And Idzik has had 0 success at this level, which is the only point I made, which you admitted by ignoring.

Rex needs to go, but defending Idzik is absurd Rex is all but gone. Idzik won't be. Hope you can come to terms with that, or you're in for a bad short-term future. idzik has blame to take, but nothing approaching our clown-car checked-out already Head Coach.

I'm sure I'll survive, but I do believe Idzik has done enough to earn a ticket out of here and hope the press keeps beating that drum so Woody will pull the trigger

Agree to disagree. I don't think it's close to "the worst roster in football" as it was built.

Losing your #1 and (rookie) #2 CB, and your #1 WR and #3 WR's thus far, is a hard pill for any team to swallow. If we had a HOF QB, we might have been ok....

Combine with having a complete bust of a #1 QB, as well as the new RB being a bust, and Rex being completely incaappable of coaching up "his guys" left in the D-backfield, and here we are.

Not rocket science.

Yes, Geno is on Idzik (what was the alternative really?), as are the mid-round WR busts. Completely.

If watching Rex fail utterly (again) is enough, in year 2, to want to fire Idzik, so be it.

But he isn't going to be fired. Rex is. That's just the way it is, and the way it should be. Rex got six years to fail. Idzik will get at least three, and at least one with HIS own guy coaching the team, not the guy he inherited. That's how the NFL works most times.

#1 Safety Pryor looks like he'll be fine in time, and is likely a reliable starter going forward.

#2 TE Jace Amaro has looked good (and would look better with a decent QB) and is likely a reliable starter going forward.

#3 McDougle is hurt, call that a "don't know", but no reason to expect his career to be over yet.

#4 on.....looks pretty bad, I agree. 9 mid to late picks, most non-entities. Not good, no.

It's tough to lay the Best Avilable FA guys on him frankly, I expected more from Decker than an injury, and more from Vick and C.J. that total abject sh*t.

Almost everyone agreed with these pickups at the time, now they want to claim they didn't....

Stopgap investment is more like it. He picked a "fell out of the first" 2nd round guy in a spot where that guy was BAP/Value at a position we were transitioning at. That's hardly picking Geno Smith #1 Overall. I fully expect Geno Smith to be either gone, or the #2/#2 next year.

Rex's only success was inheriting another Coaches roster, and making the D and running game work.

Since then, he's taken a four year nosedive of failure, where it's clear he's outmatched.

Rex is all but gone.

Idzik won't be. Hope you can come to terms with that, or you're in for a bad short-term future.

idzik has blame to take, but nothing approaching our clown-car checked-out already Head Coach.

You state that Geno is a bust and then you defend Idzik by saying that he picked five starters out of seven picks (Geno being one of them) in the draft from two years ago. Which one is it? 

Just because a guy is starting doesn't mean our GM is some savant. Geno starts and sucks. Brian Winters starts and sucks. Dee Milliner, when not on the sidelines, starts and has mostly sucked outside of a handful of games. Tommy Bohanon starts and sucks. 

Calling a guy a bust in one breath and then, with the same breath, using him as an example of why Idzik doesn't suck is silly.

RB was a need?

In a Rex Ryan team, absolutely. Ivory and Powell were both very hit or miss last year, and CJ was the unquestionable BAP in FA this year, and didn't cost much.

The hindsight amongst fans is pretty funny. We take a flyer on Geno Smith at a spot of value (2nd) and everyone is happy. 2 years later, everyone who was happy forgets they were happy, and says the sh*tty GM makes sh*tty picks (that they loved back when).

5 of 7 starters year one.

Aquired 3 need FA BAP's and resigned a ton of "Rex's Guys" this year.

Drafted 3 (of 12) starters this year, with one hurt early.

Is idzik perfect? Hell no.

Is Idzik to blame for some of our on-field problems? Yes.

But to fire a GM after two years, being saddled with the previous guys Coach and system, is laughable. It's the mark of sh*t teams and impatient fans.

We gave Rex Ryan SIX FULL YEARS. Sanchez four. Idzik does not deserve to be fired after two, and it's not his fault that guys got hurt, and that Rex can't ******* coach the guys who are left, or that Rex hates Offense and has run the worst offense around for most of the last 6 years.

Ryan will be fired, rightfully so.

Geno will be dumped/demoted, rightfully so.

A new Head Coach, chosen by the GM and at whatever cost it takes, will be brought it. Rightfully so.

A new QB (or two) will be here next year, rightfully so. No more extended "just wait" bullsh*t for Geno. No Sanchez four-year-trail Part II.

And Idzik will get at LEAST 2015 and 2016 to build his team his way with his guy.

Get used to this idea my friends, or you'll be banging heads against walls for some time to come.

I'm not going to spend all day defending Idzik, because Idzik has his share of flaws thus far.

But firing a GM two years in, two years stuck with Ryan/Geno......give me a break. And lets be clear, half of Jets Fan Nation would keep Ryan and Geno, and fire Idzik, talk about pants-on-head retarded.

Not rocket science.

Rex is all but gone.

Very good post, agree on everything. Do you think that woody do too?

Chris Johnson has been trending downward for 3 years now. Pointless signing....malcontent player..and he isnt any good and hasnt been for a couple of years now. You acquire backs in the draft or you sign guys without a lot tread on the tires. I'm pretty certain at this point that both CJ and VIck were Woody saying "yeah get them...I've heard of them."

Seems the fill in players were to get butts in seats if anything- pointless moves if you ask me. Flowers would have been at least a fill in move that made sense.

You don't think there was anyone available in this FA class that was worth us going after to be here for the long term?

Forfeiting the remainder of the season would actually be in our best interest. Not even kidding...there is no one on this roster we're currently developing. I'd rather save the 4 or 5 ok players we have for next year.

I don't think there were a lot of guys out there that Idzik wanted to pay for that were also going to agree to play here. I don't blame him for not overpaying flakes like DRC and Vontae Davis at all. Every FA corner signing has looked bad so far, with the exception of Flowers. As for signing receivers, I don't know who we were going to con into playing here. IMO, the only reason Decker is here is because of his wife's career aspirations. I personally wanted Geoff Schwartz as a veteran OL, but even that signing looks awful (hasn't played a snap this year). Alterraun Verner was the other guy I wanted, and he's been getting lit up in Tampa. I guess I'm just hoping that Idzik simply didn't want to throw good money after bad just to appease a few beat guys. But, it's the long game, and it's a gamble, and it needs to start bearing fruit next year.

In a Rex Ryan team, absolutely. Ivory and Powell were both very hit or miss last year, and CJ was the unquestionable BAP in FA this year, and didn't cost much.

The hindsight amongst fans is pretty funny. We take a flyer on Geno Smith at a spot of value (2nd) and everyone is happy. 2 years later, everyone who was happy forgets they were happy, and says the sh*tty GM makes sh*tty picks (that they loved back when).

5 of 7 starters year one.

Aquired 3 need FA BAP's and resigned a ton of "Rex's Guys" this year.

Drafted 3 (of 12) starters this year, with one hurt early.

Is idzik perfect? Hell no.

Is Idzik to blame for some of our on-field problems? Yes.

But to fire a GM after two years, being saddled with the previous guys Coach and system, is laughable. It's the mark of sh*t teams and impatient fans.

We gave Rex Ryan SIX FULL YEARS. Sanchez four. Idzik does not deserve to be fired after two, and it's not his fault that guys got hurt, and that Rex can't ******* coach the guys who are left, or that Rex hates Offense and has run the worst offense around for most of the last 6 years.

Ryan will be fired, rightfully so.

Geno will be dumped/demoted, rightfully so.

A new Head Coach, chosen by the GM and at whatever cost it takes, will be brought it. Rightfully so.

A new QB (or two) will be here next year, rightfully so. No more extended "just wait" bullsh*t for Geno. No Sanchez four-year-trail Part II.

And Idzik will get at LEAST 2015 and 2016 to build his team his way with his guy.

Get used to this idea my friends, or you'll be banging heads against walls for some time to come.

I'm not going to spend all day defending Idzik, because Idzik has his share of flaws thus far.

But firing a GM two years in, two years stuck with Ryan/Geno......give me a break. And lets be clear, half of Jets Fan Nation would keep Ryan and Geno, and fire Idzik, talk about pants-on-head retarded.

If hit or miss equates to the 6th best rushing attack in the entire league, then I'll take that every day of the week and twice on Sundays.  Right now I wish those hit of miss guys got more touches than the BPA in FA.

Archived