The Consequence of Winston?

win4ever

I've watched Jimbo as the OC and QB coach for my favorite team for the better part of the 2000s, you don't operate in his system without having enough football IQ.  You hear Winston speak and read about his off-the-field actions, but the kid is a phenomenal football talent and is running Fischer's offense as well as anyone in a long time.  Winston is not only pro-ready, he's more pro-ready than Mariota. Kid is gonna be a good one.

Ahh, now the over-the-top lobbying for this soon-to-be bust begins to make more sense...

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ahh, now the over-the-top lobbying for this soon-to-be bust begins to make more sense...

Yea, I'm an LSU fan, I despise FSU and actually quite dislike Winston, I just happen to think he's going to be a very good football player.  I'm tired of liking players and having them suck.  I despise Roethlisberger, who I think is the best Jameis comparison, but would kill for him to be the Jets' QB. And what over-the-top lobbying? I think he's going to be a good QB and I said I'd like him to be ours, but I'd also be pleased with Mariota if Winston was off the board. The only thing over-the-top is you guys who can't handle someone with a differing opinion.

Jameis just has that it factor. He plays his best during big games, on big stages and when his team needs him. His career numbers for when his team is trailing is just stupid, like 80-108. 1104 yards, 12 TD, 1 INT.  Last year against Clemson, second half of the Auburn game, the Oklahoma game this year and then of course the second half against ND last week.  I just think the kid has it.

I still think they sucked on purpose to get luck.

Of course they did, it's what any smart organization in their position would do. If the Jets were a smart organization (which we aren't), we'd be playing the kids right now and tanking for Mariota, instead of trying to squeeze out an extra win or two in a lost season with guys like Vick.

Of course they did, it's what any smart organization in their position would do. If the Jets were a smart organization (which we aren't), we'd be playing the kids right now and tanking for Mariota, instead of trying to squeeze out an extra win or two in a lost season with guys like Vick.

there's a huge diff between Luck and Mariota. Luck is a once in a generation prospect. Guys like Mariota come around every year.  

there's a huge diff between Luck and Mariota. Luck is a once in a generation prospect. Guys like Mariota come around every year.  

He may not be a once-in-a-generation prospect like Luck, but I still think Mariota's the only potential franchise caliber QB in this class, and that's worth tanking for IMO.

Do you guys know that Winston is on the ACC academic honor roll right? To years in a row right??

As much as I support going after Winston if Mariotta is off the board, I don't really put much weight into these grades for high end athletes.  The amount of media, the amount of practice these guys have to take part in, and then lets be honest, the amount of partying and women are just going to leave you no time to really study and get good grades legitimately.  From my experience, anyone with an iota of fame (or a nice rack) at college pretty much got everything ghost written for them, which they copied to make it into their own handwriting, and really just worried about the tests.  Saw a few guys have perfect scores on everything, except tests, where they get like a 55, but all the other grades push them up to a decent grade.  

There are exceptions for sure, like the guy that played at FSU and then passed on the NFL to become a doctor I believe, but just from personal experience, it's just a bit too suspect to me.  The only reason the idiots at UNC got caught was because they actually changed the system by eliminating the middle men, and tried to just make it easier on an administrative level.  

Saying all that, I would take him after Mariotta because there are some dumb guys that play well at the NFL as well.  

He may not be a once-in-a-generation prospect like Luck, but I still think Mariota's the only potential franchise caliber QB in this class, and that's worth tanking for IMO.

Beggars can't be choosers. I'd be happy with either. there's alot to like about both guys and both have flaws. 

80-108 1104 yards 12TDs and 1INT when trailing. Kid is a winner and has ice in his veins. Kid is able to block out all of the scrutiny and perform.

And rocks in his head. No thanks.

Beggars can't be choosers. I'd be happy with either. there's alot to like about both guys and both have flaws. 

I'm not wasting a top 3 pick on a headcase who's a virtual lock to bust and will set us back years. If Mariota's off the board, the pick should be Peat or Cooper.

Winston=Vince Young

Bingo. Or JaMarcus Russell - take your pick.

I'm not wasting a top 3 pick on a headcase who's a virtual lock to bust and will set us back years. If Mariota's off the board, the pick should be Peat or Cooper.

Mariota is just as likely to bust. Maybe more.

He comes from the same program as Kellen Clemens, Joey Harrington and Akili Smith. 

Mariota is just as likely to bust. Maybe more.

He comes from the same program as Kellen Clemens, Joey Harrington and Akili Smith. 

And Winston comes from the program that produced Christian Ponder. Basing whether or not a qb will bust based on past qbs is frankly speaking retarded.

80-108 1104 yards 12TDs and 1INT when trailing. Kid is a winner and has ice in his veins. Kid is able to block out all of the scrutiny and perform.

I'm all about how you perform under the lights. But the difference between Manziel doing that last year under scrutiny and Winston is that Manziel is just too much of an a$$hole to let it affect him. Winston may just be too dumb.

And Winston comes from the program that produced Christian Ponder. Basing whether or not a qb will bust based on past qbs is frankly speaking retarded.

Maybe. But basing whether or not a QB will bust based on sexual assault allegations isn't much better. There's a sexual assaulter coming to town this week who could throw 10 touchdowns. 

Vince young? It's like you guys don't even watch college football. There's next to nothing that's similar about Young and Winston's game, mariota compares more closely to young. Mariota is the one who's much more apt to pull it down and run, not Winston. Kelly's offense is predicated on ore-snap reads and quick decisions, not sitting in the pocket and going through multiple progressions.

The QB that you're describing you want is more Winston than Mariota.

Vince young? It's like you guys don't even watch college football. There's next to nothing that's similar about Young and Winston's game, mariota compares more closely to young. Mariota is the one who's much more apt to pull it down and run, not Winston. Kelly's offense is predicated on ore-snap reads and quick decisions, not sitting in the pocket and going through multiple progressions.

The QB that you're describing you want is more Winston than Mariota.

They have a personal agenda against winston..thats all

They have a personal agenda against winston..thats all

If Winston was as articulate as Russell Wilson he'd be the consensus #1 pick around this place. Shoot, imagine if he was articulate and white!? The kid has made numerous egregious errors, that's obvious, but people see a poorly articulated, seemingly dumb black QB and automatically compare him to Vince Young and Jamarcus Rusell. Meanwhile, his game isn't remotely close to the former and his work ethic has never been questioned like the latter.  He's an F off the field, but an A+ on it.  He has a great work ethic, loves to win and is a great leader. 

Some clips from Rangers Camp:

“Our scouts raved about his personality and the winning feeling he has,” assistant general manager A.J. Preller said. “Jameis is the kind of guy that whatever he wants to do, run for political office or play pro baseball or whatever, he’s going to do.”

“Very charismatic personality and very confident in his abilities,” Rangers scouting director Kip Fagg said. “It’s getting tougher and tougher to do both in modern-day specialized athletics, but I would not bet against him.”

The Rangers brought Winston into Arlington along with other top picks in that draft. Preller was struck by how easily Winston took over the group with his powerful personality.“Everything was in fun,” Preller said. “But you could see that he knows how to push guys, in a good way.”

“If two professional organizations were committed to giving him the opportunity, there is no doubt in my mind that Jameis could do it,” Johns said. “It’s not just raw ability. It takes a passion for both sports, and Jameis has that.

The Winston college QB's style of play is not what the Jets need, we need a guy who will make all the reads on every play and hopefully find the open man and if not THEN run, not a 1, 2, oh well see ya kind of player.

:disgust:

The last thing I want to see is a 3rd and 10 and having Mariota try to run for the first down

:puke:

The more he runs the more he gets hit, the more he gets hit the more gun shy or even worse injured he becomes, look at RG3, I want NO part of that.

A mobile Pocket Passer who gives his receivers a better chance to get open is the key, not a ******* dual threat QB which doesn't work in the NFL. 

If Winston was as articulate as Russell Wilson he'd be the consensus #1 pick around this place. Shoot, imagine if he was articulate and white!? The kid has made numerous egregious errors, that's obvious, but people see a poorly articulated, seemingly dumb black QB and automatically compare him to Vince Young and Jamarcus Rusell. Meanwhile, his game isn't remotely close to the former and his work ethic has never been questioned like the latter.  He's an F off the field, but an A+ on it.  He has a great work ethic, loves to win and is a great leader. 

Exactly, on the field there is no question he is the best prospect in the draft.

Rangers scouting director Kip Fagg 

Life has got to be extra tough when that's your name.  

Archived