Schefter: Idzik is "under assessment" by Woody

dbatesman

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thats a really good idea and it's possible that he will be gone from Atlanta this year as they look to clean house.

I dig it, too. I think Idzik is a legitimately smart guy who has good ideas, and I think Pioli can help identify decent talent, and I also think that the Jets GMS job is going to be a hornet's nest next year with all the attention paid to it. Bringing in a guy who has been through the wars could help, imo.

I dig it, too. I think Idzik is a legitimately smart guy who has good ideas, and I think Pioli can help identify decent talent, and I also think that the Jets GMS job is going to be a hornet's nest next year with all the attention paid to it. Bringing in a guy who has been through the wars could help, imo.

Yeah, it totally makes sense to have a guy like Pioli in Bradways role. It would help attract a better head coaching candidate as well. At least if Idzik doesn't do well Pioli is a good back up plan. He can slide into that role instantly. And Pioli won't be looking to undermine Idzik because he will want to rebuild his reputation as a great talent guy. Honestly with the cap room, the potentially high draft picks and the young talent on this team, if the right people are put in place (including coaches and assistants), this team can be a serious contender perhaps even next year - but definitely in two years. 

Oh and I agree Idzik is a smart guy. He would be a fine, even great GM with the right personnel guy in place. These drafts have been the same since Bradway got here. Blow a high pick on Gholston and Robertson, etc.

It's not a bad idea. Maybe get rid of Graves, and make Pioli Assistant GM.  This way, he doesn't have to be the guy who picks the head coach.

Lot's of smart guys aren't good at their jobs. Any football fan could come up with the idea to build thru the draft, and complement that with inexpensive free agents. Executing that plan, however, is significantly more difficult. Changing out someone on his staff and keeping the top guy around is the same sort of thing you argue strongly against when it comes to the head coach. What makes you think that's gonna work in the front office? Idzik is out of his depth as a GM. Improving his underlings isn't going to help. This team needs a capable guy at the top, not at the lieutenant level. 

Lot's of smart guys aren't good at their jobs. Any football fan could come up with the idea to build thru the draft, and complement that with inexpensive free agents. Executing that plan, however, is significantly more difficult. Changing out someone on his staff and keeping the top guy around is the same sort of thing you argue strongly against when it comes to the head coach. What makes you think that's gonna work in the front office? Idzik is out of his depth as a GM. Improving his underlings isn't going to help. This team needs a capable guy at the top, not at the lieutenant level.

Idzik is a capable guy who got stuck with Rex--twice. Once that cancerous lesion is excised, we'll learn what Idzik is and isn't.

there is only 1 guy that woody need to fire. just 1. and that 1 person is john idzik. then he needs to find a real gm. after that, its the new gm's job to keep or replace anyone that he sees fit. woody needs not  complicate things with firing this guy and that guy. find the right gm and everything else will fall into place

In six years as an NFL head coach, Rex Ryan has never gotten a draft pick to the Pro Bowl. That's almost impossible.

Could also be the sort of thing that happens when you work for successive accountants doing a personnel job. 

Rex is gone- you can talk all you want about him in his next job-

faba I hope your right but Rex is playing the sad clown to perfection right now , his postgame yesterday was nothing more than well hidden " hey Idzik is the problem not me " statements..the media loves Rex like I've never seen a ny coach or manager in my life...I've never rooted against the jets for one snap not even in the Reggie Bush year when the whole world wanted him, but I'm terrified , absolutly terrified that if we somehow win a couple November -December games that Rex's media army of drinking buddies and softball teammates will convince woody to keep him.

faba I hope your right but Rex is playing the sad clown to perfection right now , his postgame yesterday was nothing more than well hidden " hey Idzik is the problem not me " statements..the media loves Rex like I've never seen a ny coach or manager in my life...I've never rooted against the jets for one snap not even in the Reggie Bush year when the whole world wanted him, but I'm terrified , absolutly terrified that if we somehow win a couple November -December games that Rex's media army of drinking buddies and softball teammates will convince woody to keep him.

I've pointed stuff like this out before, so even though I missed his press conference, I would guarantee you are spot on. Rex's knack for self-preservation rivals anything else he's done in the past 6 years. Dude is like a ******* cockroach.

As I see your concern- I would think even Woody can see all the negativity surrounding his teams play and media bashing of it- to keep Rex and or idzik

What happens to Graves?  

I want Idzik gone.  If Woody wants to get something out of the money he is paying Idzik, let him do Mike T's old job of playing with cap numbers.   Fire Graves, and Bradway, bring Pioli in as chief of football operations

I've pointed stuff like this out before, so even though I missed his press conference, I would guarantee you are spot on. Rex's knack for self-preservation rivals anything else he's done in the past 6 years. Dude is like a ******* cockroach.

This is my greatest fear, and the reason I want Rex fired now as opposed to Black Monday. Mehta & co. will be pulling out all the stops to keep Buffoon Boy on the job while making Idzik the sacrificial lamb (not that he doesn't deserve the boot as well).

This is my greatest fear, and the reason I want Rex fired now as opposed to Black Monday. Mehta & co. will be pulling out all the stops to keep Buffoon Boy on the job while making Idzik the sacrificial lamb (not that he doesn't deserve the boot as well).

IP did you see Mehtas gem today? I won't link it cuz I hate the bas##rd but the theme is " what did Rex do to deserve this raw deal?"...literaly talks about what poor poor poor Rex must've done in a previous life to deserve such a raw deal from the football gods ...we have a couple months of this coming and it's gonna get worse daily , I still say if we win a few games it's 50-50 woody brings him back which is why I fully support your 1-15 campaign

IP did you see Mehtas gem today? I won't link it cuz I hate the bas##rd but the theme is " what did Rex do to deserve this raw deal?"...literaly talks about what poor poor poor Rex must've done in a previous life to deserve such a raw deal from the football gods ...we have a couple months of this coming and it's gonna get worse daily , I still say if we win a few games it's 50-50 woody brings him back which is why I fully support your 1-15 campaign

No I didn't, but it's always the same with Mehta & co. - Rex is never to blame, it's always someone else's fault, etc.

To my eyes, Idzik's only redeeming quality is that he inspires such hate from the scummiest of beat writers. It's *almost* enough to make me want Woody to keep him on if Rex is fired. Almost.

I've been slow to the Fire Idzik camp, but I'm all in now.  Watching Sammy Watkins, Brandin Cooks, Kelvin Benjamin, Mike Evans, and now Martavis Bryant just light it up while we have NOTHING to show at the WR position from 12 draft picks is a clear indication that Idzik has to go.  Great, Percy Harvin is a stud.  He likely would have been FREE in a week or two vs. a 4th round pick...

Blow it up Woody.  Blow it up and start over...

For the record, I don't think Woody encouraged Idzik not to spend, and I don't think he suggested any trades. That's all on the guy who's under assessment. 

I agree. I dug this up last night but here was what I summarized about Idzik the day he was hired 

Will the Jets fanbase be willing to suffer through three bad seasons to fix things? I know its easy in February for all of us to say break it down we need to rebuild, but come December when you are 3-10 that type of thought goes out the window. Now Idzik should have more financial resources in New York than they had in Seattle, but I don’t know if that means that much in the NFL unless you are coming from the non-spending teams like the Chiefs and Bengals. Most teams are on a level playing field and its not like Seattle didn’t spend. 

On the plus side they have had some terrific draft picks which are really the backbone of the team up in Seattle. That has been a really bad area for the Jets and they desperately need improvement in that regard. That said it’s been their depth picks that have been great while their top picks have not panned out. Since 2007 you had Josh Wilson starting 24 games in 3 years before being traded. Lawrence Jackson was gone in two years. Aaron Curry was an epic bust. James Carpenter has started 16 games in two seasons and Bruce Irvin, picked in 2012, still has a ton of questions surrounding him. Russell Okung and Earl Thomas are both studs that were selected in the 2010 draft. No idea why they got it right there but in their other 5 tries all whiffed badly. Im not sure why its been so poor where their mid rounds have been spectacular, but that is a little worrisome. 

In terms of free agency I don’t see them being much more impressive than the Jets. The QB search has been awful before Wilson. Since 2009 starters included Matt Hasselbeck, Seneca Wallace, Charlie Whitehurst, Tarvaris Jackson, and in 2012 it was supposed to be Matt Flynn. The last three were handpicked guys to lead to Seahawks. Its bargain basement QB shopping and I dislike that idea in the NFL. They handed Sidney Rice a $41 million dollar deal with $15 million in guarantees and Zach Miller a $34 million dollar deal with $13 million in guarantees to which they have given the Seahawks 82/1232 and 63/629 respectively in two years with the team. While Marshawn Lynch did have a great season for the Seahawks they gave him $17 million in guarantees. I tend to think if this was the Jets we would have killed every one of those moves because they don’t sound much different than what the team has done in the past.

So as I finish writing this I can definitely see why this hire was made. There are a lot of areas where Idzik fits in very well with this organization and roster as presently constituted. I think he has been in a position where he has had to help tear down a roster before and the coaching situation is one he has been involved in before as well. Hes not afraid to trade away sunk cost players. I think the draft a lot of players philosophy is one the Jets need to take and that will fit nicely in with the way the cap will likely be run here. Hopefully some of that mid round magic comes with him because that is the area that worries me with the hire. It seems as if free agency will be minimized now so you cant swing and miss in the draft. Hopefully he can hit a home run in his first draft with the team… 

http://nyjetscap.com/2012_Articles/idzik.html

How much clout does Neil Glatt have here? Francesa is talking about how Woody's inner circle misguided him on the Idzik hire.

Starting to seem like this guy has Woodys ear similar to the way CAA had Dolans ear.

In title it sounds like Glatt is second in command here and he has zero football background. Fancy resume though...

How much clout does Neil Glatt have here? Francesa is talking about how Woody's inner circle misguided him on the Idzik hire.

Starting to seem like this guy has Woodys ear similar to the way CAA had Dolans ear.

In title it sounds like Glatt is second in command here and he has zero football background. Fancy resume though...

Woody needs to pull a Dolan and find someone with Phil-like cachet to put in charge of all football operations and hire new scouts, coaches, etc. while Woody just signs the checks.

How does one go about getting one of those, sounds kind of nice. 

I believe Glat is the finance guy who advises Woody on milking the fan base for every available penny. I believe he was the one who had to tell Woody to forget about charging PSLs for the upper deck when Woody was all set to threaten blackouts.

Archived