Vick: Maybe We Would Have Won More If I Started Earlier

flgreen

Michael Vick: Maybe we would have won more if I started earlier

Posted by Josh Alper on November 10, 2014, 8:50 AM EST

Pittsburgh Steelers v New York Jets

The Jets ended their eight-game losing streak against the Steelers on Sunday afternoon to give the team their first win since turning the offense over to Michael Vick in Week Nine.

Vick wasn’t spectacular on Sunday, but he didn’t turn the ball over and connected with T.J. Graham on a 67-yard touchdown that was the biggest passing play of the season for the Jets. After the game, Vick was asked if he thought the Jets would have more wins this season if they’d turned to him early in the year rather than sticking with Geno Smith. Vick answered honestly — “In my heart, yes” — and explained that he believed that because he’s confident in his abilities as a starting quarterback.

“So me saying that, please don’t get it misconstrued. Please don’t go out and say, ‘Mike Vick felt like if he was the starter, then we would be winning,’ because that’s not what I’m saying right now,” Vick said, via NJ.com. “I’m saying in front of all these cameras that, if given an opportunity, yeah, I believe our team would’ve maybe won some games. That’s speaking from experience and playing in the league for a long time.”

Their decision to give Smith more chances than he might have deserved can be defended by the fact that Vick isn’t a realistic long-term answer at quarterback for the team and no quarterback may have been able to overcome the poor play of the Jets secondary over the long term, but Vick’s turnover-free play in two starts does support the notion that the Jets may have a few more wins if he’d been in the lineup earlier. Now that he’s in, the Jets might see some of those wins although it seems far too late in the game for them to change to overall picture of this season.

It would seem Vick was reading the game day thread and was convinced by the 500 or so times this statement was made.  While they likely would have picked up a couple of more wins, the truth is Vick has had some pretty awful games himself and the team still wouldn't be particularly good this season under those circumstances.  The reality is that Jaiquawn Jarrett had more to do with this win than anyone else on the field for the Jets, including Vick.

In truth, even despite the disaster it was, I'm still glad the Jets did what they did.  The last thing the Jets needed to do is have a mediocre 6 or 7 win season (instead of an awful 3 or 4 win season) in which they still had no idea what was going on at their QB position, making them ready to give Geno another chance next year.  They have their answers on Geno now and will move the hell on, which while painful, is ultimately worth a few wins.

JETS would have been a solid 3-6 with Vick finally breaking down physically and Geno who would have benefited from all the sideline coaching given to him would be ready to take over and be ready to lead us to the playoffs.

If only Vick had separated himself from Geno in training camp.

if only it was a real competition.

Wish Parcells were still the coach. We wouldn't be having this problem

You mean, wish Parcells were still the GM. He's too old to coach, he can still run a front office.

Two years of pain all because an unqualified John Idzik is hired by a head hunter and he knee-jerk impulse picks a quarterback that fell like a brick out of the first round who he never wanted in the first place. Instead of investing in Mark Sanchez, the Jets did everything they could to ruin him and then replace him before even seeing if he was salvageable under a proper OC with a proper set of WR's.

SAR I

Motto of the fan base since Parcells. The excuses we make for awful coach after awful coach and sh*t quarterback after sh*t quarterback is unparalleled in sports.

Jets fans shake their fists and demand change, but fear change and are outraged by the mere mention of it.

no disrepect meant.  Just stating that this "competition" in camp was no more real than HGT/WG. 

yep that was my point also............vick knew the score.........he was prob told after he signed that he was their to help geno and we need to see what we have in him.

Oh...i forgot that. It wasn't real. Thats why there were murmurs from the coaching staff  that Vick didn't try hard for getting the starting job.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000381818/article/report-vick-disappointed-jets-coaches-by-taking-qb2

Despite Smith’s shaky rookie season in 2013, the Jets staged a non-competitive, so-called competition between him and Vick in training camp. There was never any doubt that Smith would have the job in Week 1.

Not that Vick did a whole lot last year with the Eagles to demonstrate he could still start in this league. Teams who needed starting quarterbacks last offseason passed on Vick, who wound up as a mentoring backup with the Jets. That was telling.

But here we are, 10 games into the season, and Vick has gotten a chance to start, and he’s doing a nice job with it.

He punted on the question of whether he should continue to start if he plays strongly again in Buffalo. He offered a more direct answer to another hypothetical question. While this might not have impacted the Jets’ commitment to Smith as their starter over the summer, does Vick wish he had pushed harder to have that job?

“I don’t feel like I should’ve pushed harder,” he said. “If I would’ve done that, I would’ve been a distraction to this team. I think the coaches saw everything that I was able to bring to the table in the spring, in training camp, and in the preseason, which was all solid for me, and I was happy with the body of work.

“But I knew what I was here for. I played in the league for 13 years. I wanted to see a young guy become the best football player that he can be, because I lived those moments, and played in NFC Championship games. That’s what I wanted for Geno and that’s what I signed up for – and in the back of my mind, knowing that one day I may have to play, and I may be put in this situation. I was up for it.”

Despite Smith’s shaky rookie season in 2013, the Jets staged a non-competitive, so-called competition between him and Vick in training camp. There was never any doubt that Smith would have the job in Week 1.

Not that Vick did a whole lot last year with the Eagles to demonstrate he could still start in this league. Teams who needed starting quarterbacks last offseason passed on Vick, who wound up as a mentoring backup with the Jets. That was telling.

But here we are, 10 games into the season, and Vick has gotten a chance to start, and he’s doing a nice job with it.

He punted on the question of whether he should continue to start if he plays strongly again in Buffalo. He offered a more direct answer to another hypothetical question. While this might not have impacted the Jets’ commitment to Smith as their starter over the summer, does Vick wish he had pushed harder to have that job?

“I don’t feel like I should’ve pushed harder,” he said. “If I would’ve done that, I would’ve been a distraction to this team. I think the coaches saw everything that I was able to bring to the table in the spring, in training camp, and in the preseason, which was all solid for me, and I was happy with the body of work.

“But I knew what I was here for. I played in the league for 13 years. I wanted to see a young guy become the best football player that he can be, because I lived those moments, and played in NFC Championship games. That’s what I wanted for Geno and that’s what I signed up for – and in the back of my mind, knowing that one day I may have to play, and I may be put in this situation. I was up for it.”

Wow.....pretty much the whole article needed to be bolded ? I did not read. But with so many bolded lines i am sure whatever you are saying is spot on.

Bbbbbbbbut we hadnt yet fully evaluated just how much geno sucked! We had to know where he slotted relative to jamarcuss russell and ryan leaf

The guy came into the league nowhere near ready to play at the NFL level, and was thrown into the lineup prematurely as a result of Sanchez's injury (yes, that was Rex's fault). But he did finish last year (relatively) strong, and with an otherwise crap roster, it was worth it to give him a long look this year and see if he was gonna build on that, or regress. Michael Vick might've won another couple games here, but he -with his 5.2 ypa and 5 fumbles so far this year- wasn't going to drag this roster into the post season.

Now they know that they have to address the long term QB situation for certain. If Vick had started the year, they may not've known that.

That's worth something.

Let's face it, you're Vick's biggest fan here, and I doubt that even you expect him to last the season. He was never gonna be the answer.

You mean, wish Parcells were still the GM. He's too old to coach, he can still run a front office.Two years of pain all because an unqualified John Idzik is hired by a head hunter and he knee-jerk impulse picks a quarterback that fell like a brick out of the first round who he never wanted in the first place. Instead of investing in Mark Sanchez, the Jets did everything they could to ruin him and then replace him before even seeing if he was salvageable under a proper OC with a proper set of WR's.SAR I

Parcells was a pretty crappy GM, so is Idzik.

This pining for Mark Sanchez stuff definitely feels like troll bait to me. The idea that they didn't invest in him is ludicrous. The massive extension that Tannenbaum gave him is the primary reason he's gone now. I'll give you this: his development was completely mismanaged. Rex shares blame in that, no doubt, but let's not forget that Tannenbaum and the rest of the Jets brain trust at the time loved Brian Schottenheimer (the runner-up for the head coaching position when Rex was hired) and they basically saddled Rex with him.

Rex then put the final nail in the coffin with the Sparano hire. That was Sanchez's last chance, but he had no chance under Sparano. No one did. It looked like he might get another last chance with Morhinweg, but again, that was cut short in the Snoopy Bowl. It's a pretty lonely position to take to suggest that the team should've retained Mark, and gone into this year with him and Geno as your QBs. Sanchez blooper-reeled himself out of here. It was the right move for the team, and the right move for him.

I always thought he was a guy who could get it together later in his career a la Rich Gannon. If he gets it together sooner, good for him. I like the kid, but his time was done here.

if vick started day one I think we maybe beat GB, Det, Chi, Den, NE, aka 6-4, or 7-3. We still need QB of future, but many of our early 'less than 8 pt losses' were Geno Playbook IQ/zero progression understanding inflicted. It was obvious on several occasions  vs Pitt. Vick calmly saw the 2nd/3rd option, something we NEVER saw w/Geno. Geno ran backwards like a scared Deer when Primary covered :(

But who knows, we could be 0-10, :)

What surprises me is a whole lot of people were bummed yesterday we won because Vick is not the long term answer at QB, he is old  and winning impacts out draft position and ability to draft a elite QB prospect BUT at the same time some of these very people are bummed that Vick did not start earlier in the season.

:confused0082:

I hate Vick and wish he were on IR.

Archived