NY Times: "Jets’ Rex Ryan and John Idzik in Tug of War to Salvage Some Dignity"

IPBanBadPosters

THRIVING WITHOUT SPENDING MONEY IS A GREAT STRATEGY. SPENDING IS BEST WHEN YOU ARE COMPLETING YOUR TEAM AND FILLING THE HOLES TO GO FOR THE SUPERBOWL. Spending 9m a year for DRC, cro and a guard doesn't get you to 20m. Right, it gets you to 17-18m. Whats that? No more room to resign Mo? Another 1st round draft pick spent on a DE? Or another hole? There should not be any rebuttals. Idzik's strategy is a good one, he just has to nail his picks. Which he hasn't done. If he has another year, he'll have to nail them next year or he's gone. No question. Spending this year to go 8-8 would have been real stupid.

Why can't they resign MO?  Is he going to get the whole $17M?  The entire thing is thrown out the window with Harvin.  They spent $6M to have the guy for half a season when the playoffs were already out of the question.  They could have signed an actual NFL CB for 16 games for $3M and had $3M left over for another CB, G or whatever else you want.  Spending to go 8-8 makes at least as much sense as giving a top 5 pick to a guy that has drafted this poorly and has made almost no change to the scouting staff.   

Why can't they resign MO? Is he going to get the whole $17M? The entire thing is thrown out the window with Harvin. They spent $6M to have the guy for half a season when the playoffs were already out of the question. They could have signed an actual NFL CB for 16 games for $3M and had $3M left over for another CB, G or whatever else you want. Spending to go 8-8 makes at least as much sense as giving a top 5 pick to a guy that has drafted this poorly and has made almost no change to the scouting staff.

I agree completely

Problem is I don't trust idzik to draft, acquire free agents, evaluate existing talent, or spend money. He is a cap wonk--nothing more nothing less--who needs to work for a personnel man to be of any use. If woody had balls to bring in a real GM this year then idzik being ebaneezer Scrooge was a good thing. But trusting him to now deploy it correctly I do not trust

Why can't they resign MO?  Is he going to get the whole $17M?  The entire thing is thrown out the window with Harvin.  They spent $6M to have the guy for half a season when the playoffs were already out of the question.  They could have signed an actual NFL CB for 16 games for $3M and had $3M left over for another CB, G or whatever else you want.  Spending to go 8-8 makes at least as much sense as giving a top 5 pick to a guy that has drafted this poorly and has made almost no change to the scouting staff.   

No, his post before was saying that he didn't spend 20m and that a guard, DRC and Cro wouldn't cost 20m. I made the point about how they would cost around 17m, and by spending that money would create more holes. Thus needing yet another DE. If we were to go for another DE in the first round I'm sure we'd all be so happy. And I said he hasn't been great on drafting. It benefits whoever is making the picks next year. And like I said, it's a good strategy but you have to hit on the draft picks and get the best out of your rookies.

No, his post before was saying that he didn't spend 20m and that a guard, DRC and Cro wouldn't cost 20m. I made the point about how they would cost around 17m, and by spending that money would create more holes. Thus needing yet another DE. If we were to go for another DE in the first round I'm sure we'd all be so happy. And I said he hasn't been great on drafting. It benefits whoever is making the picks next year. And like I said, it's a good strategy but you have to hit on the draft picks and get the best out of your rookies.

Yes, well how does $6M for a half season of Harvin fit in that scenario?  

the truly sad part is i don't know if Woody even cares. he pocketed that 20+ mil they could have used on players. the seats may be filled with Dolphins fans but they are still sold out. the latest deal with Directv is obscene and the Jets get that money win or lose. Why is it better to try? Woody might just keep everyone around and make us eat this s--t sandwich for another year.  He would have to buy out Rex. And buy out Idzik (a guy he spent 6 figures to Korn Ferry to find). It's in his financial interests to do nothing. We are in part to blame cause we keep watching and talking and posting about it. In fact the ratings on SNY's post game show go up when the Jets are bad. 

The TV money funds the entire Jets' budget before they sell ticket 1. Merchandising money is also split 32 ways, so buying a jersey really helps the entire NFL rather than the Jet directly . But really there  is a lot of debt service on half of the stadium. Hurt Johnson in the most obvious place; his wallet. Everyone on this board can do one simple thing-do not renew unless and until your season tickets until this team cleans house. 

If you are a season ticket holder(and I am no longer one), cal the Jets' office and tell them if Idzik, Ryan or Bradway in any combination  are back in 2015, you are not renewing, PSL be damned. 

You're right, we should focus on winning meaningless games with Vick at the helm  :roll:

You either throw Geno out there and see if he shows anything (either to see if he's backup material or to showcase him in case another team wants to take a late round flyer on him via trade, a la Gabbert), or he sh*ts the bed and you lose games and improve your draft position. It's win-win, and if Rex could play the good soldier role, in subsequent job interviews he can say "I was just doing what my GM wanted," but now he'll be viewed as toxic and a pariah. You're too enchanted with him to see it, but every FO in the league saw what he did last night and he's as radioactive as one can be in this league. He'd be lucky to land a job as a DC at this point.

There's no point in playing Vick and it's not like he has been good at all this year.  Vick was done last year.  The $5million contract Idzikiot gave him was his retirement check.  Vick may not even be in the league next year.

If we had signed Jon Asomoah to play Guard instead of relying on scrubs like Winters and Aboushi our OL would look a helluva lot better.

Thanks Idzik.

Yes, well how does $6M for a half season of Harvin fit in that scenario?  

The possibility to restructure his contract with first dibs for a great player in his prime, and to give geno the weapons for half a season to see if geno can actually do anything. And if it doesn't work out, no harm done and 6th round pick. But if it does work out, I trust Idzik to create a contract that we won't be tied to, for a 4th rounder. It's really not that bad. 

The possibility to restructure his contract with first dibs for a great player in his prime, and to give geno the weapons for half a season to see if geno can actually do anything. And if it doesn't work out, no harm done and 6th round pick. But if it does work out, I trust Idzik to create a contract that we won't be tied to, for a 4th rounder. It's really not that bad. 

The problem is we should have made this type of move during the previous off-season.  Eric Decker wasn't enough and it was obvious and the scrub WR's Idzik drafted aren't even on the roster.

The problem is we should have made this type of move during the previous off-season.  Eric Decker wasn't enough and it was obvious and the scrub WR's Idzik drafted aren't even on the roster.

So there was a problem, and he fixed it. Again, I've said he hasn't been hitting on all of his picks. There was a problem, he saw an opportunity, and he took it. Now we have a pretty great WR corp. If we can get a QB who can get the ball to these WRs then we're in really good shape for the passing game. 

Aboushi sucks.  Anyone compared to Winters looks like Larry Allen.

He's played 11 career games and hasn't sucked in any of them. Breno Brick and the penalty himself Colon are the problem. Winters is garbage but Oday has held his own since Winters has been out.

THRIVING WITHOUT SPENDING MONEY IS A GREAT STRATEGY. SPENDING IS BEST WHEN YOU ARE COMPLETING YOUR TEAM AND FILLING THE HOLES TO GO FOR THE SUPERBOWL. Spending 9m a year for DRC, cro and a guard doesn't get you to 20m. Right, it gets you to 17-18m. Whats that? No more room to resign Mo? Another 1st round draft pick spent on a DE? Or another hole? There should not be any rebuttals. Idzik's strategy is a good one, he just has to nail his picks. Which he hasn't done. If he has another year, he'll have to nail them next year or he's gone. No question. Spending this year to go 8-8 would have been real stupid.

Who's gonna take the head coaching job under those circumstances? 

His strategy is simple. There's no genius behind it. His execution has been terrible. He has to go. 

You're right, we should focus on winning meaningless games with Vick at the helm  :roll:

You either throw Geno out there and see if he shows anything (either to see if he's backup material or to showcase him in case another team wants to take a late round flyer on him via trade, a la Gabbert), or he sh*ts the bed and you lose games and improve your draft position. It's win-win, and if Rex could play the good soldier role, in subsequent job interviews he can say "I was just doing what my GM wanted," but now he'll be viewed as toxic and a pariah. You're too enchanted with him to see it, but every FO in the league saw what he did last night and he's as radioactive as one can be in this league. He'd be lucky to land a job as a DC at this point.

There is more then one way to look at what Rex just did.  Don't get me wrong, I think it's time for him to move on too.

Rex went back to ground and pound and had to game in hand right up to the end.  Nothing wrong with playing winning football.  At the critical moment he went to Geno.  Geno failed as we all knew he would.  Rex did have the game in hand though and can argue that he used the roster he had to the best of his (limited) ability.

Now, the fact that for the millionth time the Jets failed to make half time adjustments and/or react to the opponents half time adjustments is just one more reason why Rex is not HC material. 

Who's gonna take the head coaching job under those circumstances? 

His strategy is simple. There's no genius behind it. His execution has been terrible. He has to go. 

I'm not saying he's not getting fired, and I've said in the past I agree with this statement, but we'll see what happens.

Hate to say this but I have this feeling that Woody is going to fire Idziot and keep Rex

No GM would take the job under those circumstances, so we'd essentially be making Rex the HC/GM, coming off a ~2 win season.

We'd redefine the word 'circus,' but if nothing else, next season would provide plenty of lolz.

Hate to say this but I have this feeling that Woody is going to fire Idziot and keep Rex

There's no way this is happening.  Rex is already fired - it's over.  He knows it, everyone knows it...The only reason he hasn't been fired yet is because Woody still respects him and wants to give him the dignity of finishing the season.  But the Rex Ryan as HC of the NYJ ship has sailed.

Such a good idea hanging on to Rex two years ago. Who could have suspected that would fail?

if you bet on failure every year, chances are you are going to be right. there are 31 losers every year. the fact that they didn't win the SB doesn't make you a genius. It's the most likely outcome, every year. 

Archived