Williams Continues to Impress

JetNation

IMG_5515

As much as NFL fans enjoy watching their early season prognostications unfold exactly as they predicted to give themselves a well-earned pat on the back,  it’s never fun when you’re right about a doom and gloom scenario that painfully plays out as you saw it regarding your favorite team. For many New York Jets fans, their biggest concern on the defensive side of the ball as the season approached has largely come to fruition.  A half-hearted attempt to upgrade the cornerback position had Jets fans screaming before the season was even under way as they all but begged the Jets add an established CB to pencil in as a starter.  Those demands, however, fell on deaf ears.

Due to injuries, ineffectiveness, and a complete lack of interest in playing, the Jets have had to utilize several players whom many  Jets fans had never heard of, or who weren’t even cornerbacks to begin with.  Not only have the Jets been forced to use street free agents and undrafted rookies in their rotation, but they’ve had to use them in prominent roles.

Safety Antonio Allen was first up and had his moments but, all things considered, he’s been over-matched at the position. Phillip Adams, a six year journeyman has been inconsistent at best despite being one of the few DBs with an interception this season. As far as first round disappointment Kyle Wilson, as the year has progressed, his playing time has dwindled.  Wilson played a season-low four snaps on Monday night against the Miami Dolphins after playing only sixteen snaps the previous week against the Buffalo Bills.

One bright spot of late however, has been undrafted rookie free agent Marcus Williams.  Williams played his college ball at North Dakota State where he was named Associated Press FCS All-America First Team from 2011-2013.  Despite the accolades, the 5′ 11′ 196 pound Williams went undrafted largely due to his speed (4.60 40-yd dash) and having played at a small school. Some scouting reports suggested Williams would be a better fit at safety in the NFL due to suspect man-to-man coverage skills and stiff hips.  While it’s obviously far too early to anoint Williams a legitimate NFL starter just yet, the  early returns have been encouraging.

Williams got his first substantial game action in week nine against the Kansas City Chiefs and he hasn’t looked back. The youngster has started every game since then and according PFF.com, Williams has had just one game in which he didn’t earn at least an average rating.  A fairly impressive accomplishment for such a young player with little prior knowledge of the Jets defensive playbook.  While teams have been able to have some success throwing to his side, Williams has proven to be a more than capable tackler which has helped prevent any big yards after the catch.

In a lost season, any positive news is welcome news for Jets fans as all attention is already focused on the future.  After a draft that has been widely considered a disaster, Williams has been a breath of fresh air, and Jets fans will continue to watch and hope for this long-shot rookie to continue to develop.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
Vxh-14pxDeg

View the full article

Already better than K Wilson.  Nice job, kid.

K. Wilson not being the worst rated CB on PFF is the type of thing that makes me question their ratings.  How could there 44 CB's in the NFL worse than him?

K. Wilson not being the worst rated CB on PFF is the type of thing that makes me question their ratings.  How could there 44 CB's in the NFL worse than him?

its simple really. Wilson is not as bad as some make him out to be. he is an above average cover corner who lacks ball awareness. it has been said to death and is still true, people don't like Wilson because of where he was drafted. if only he was a mid round pick

its simple really. Wilson is not as bad as some make him out to be. he is an above average cover corner who lacks ball awareness. it has been said to death and is still true, people don't like Wilson because of where he was drafted. if only he was a mid round pick

You may be right.  I think Wilson is better than a lot of people (myself included) give him credit for.  While that may be met with laughs and eye rolls, here's my thought process on Wilson, if he was even half as bad as I have always believed him to be, there isn't a QB in the NFL who wouldn't throw to whoever he was covering every single time he's on the field.  The fact that he's not targeted as much as I would expect "the worst CB in the NFL" to be targeted and his mostly "average" PFF scores say that maybe he's not horrible.  Problem is, he never makes any impact plays, so any time he's on the field you're either not seeing him at all, or you're seeing him get beat.  If you saw him bat a pass or run back an INT every now and then, people might back off....and that stupid effing finger wagging makes me sick.

You may be right.  I think Wilson is better than a lot of people (myself included) give him credit for.  While that may be met with laughs and eye rolls, here's my thought process on Wilson, if he was even half as bad as I have always believed him to be, there isn't a QB in the NFL who wouldn't throw to whoever he was covering every single time he's on the field.  The fact that he's not targeted as much as I would expect "the worst CB in the NFL" to be targeted and his mostly "average" PFF scores say that maybe he's not horrible.  Problem is, he never makes any impact plays, so any time he's on the field you're either not seeing him at all, or you're seeing him get beat.  If you saw him bat a pass or run back an INT every now and then, people might back off....and that stupid effing finger wagging makes me sick.

That's pretty much it right there.  He's actually not nearly as bad as many around here would have you believe, but certainly not what you hoped for from a first round pick and not in the least bit a playmaker.  He's a solid, albeit completely unspectacular, nickel CB.  He'll get picked up by another team in FA this year, but not to be anyone's starter.

If the queen had balls she'd be king. Wilson sucks, period.

yes. Wilson is the problem with the jets backfield

Wilson is a major problem in the Jets backfield.  He gives up third down conversions like its his job.  This nonsense about him being a "good cover corner with bad awareness" is laughable.  If you have bad ball awareness, then you aren't a good cover corner.  It's like having a mild case of the plague.  He couldn't win a starting corner spot over guys right off the street.  This Williams kid is playing corner, and Antonio Allen was converted to play corner.  If he's any good, at all, he'd be playing one of the two corner slots.  Now he isn't even getting on the field as a third corner.  Three snaps last week should tell you all there is to know about Wilson.  Nothing whatsoever about him is "above average".

This nonsense about him being a "good cover corner with bad awareness" is laughable.

did you get a good laugh,did ya? with all due respect, I disagree with your entire post. Antonio allen is a bad corner. Darren walls is a bad corner. Wilson is an above average cover guy who lacks ball skills. like I said above. would you prefer a corner who gets beat by 10 yards at a time, but occassionaly makes a play or a corner who is always in the receivers back pocket in tight coverage who hardly makes a play? forget it. I know your answer already

Wilson is a major problem in the Jets backfield.  He gives up third down conversions like its his job.  This nonsense about him being a "good cover corner with bad awareness" is laughable.  If you have bad ball awareness, then you aren't a good cover corner.  It's like having a mild case of the plague.  He couldn't win a starting corner spot over guys right off the street.  This Williams kid is playing corner, and Antonio Allen was converted to play corner.  If he's any good, at all, he'd be playing one of the two corner slots.  Now he isn't even getting on the field as a third corner.  Three snaps last week should tell you all there is to know about Wilson.  Nothing whatsoever about him is "above average".

I'm pretty sure he's a FA next season so he'll most likely be gone. Where are we going to all these CB's to fill these holes?

Milliner could be done. He tore an Achilles. That's serious business for a CB. McDougle? Guy hasn't played football in 2 years. This Williams guy is probably the teams best CB. He has 4.6 speed. Any other team he's probably 3 or 4

did you get a good laugh,did ya? with all due respect, I disagree with your entire post. Antonio allen is a bad corner. Darren walls is a bad corner. Wilson is an above average cover guy who lacks ball skills. like I said above. would you prefer a corner who gets beat by 10 yards at a time, but occassionaly makes a play or a corner who is always in the receivers back pocket in tight coverage who hardly makes a play? forget it. I know your answer already

I have stood up for Wilson a bit on here, but if he were a better corner than Allen or Walls, wouldn't he start?  Milliner, Walls, Williams, Philip Adams, Josh Thomas, and LeQuan Lewis all started and got run ahead of him.  I'm sure I am probably missing some guys.  He is not being kept on the bench by Revis and Cromartie anymore, he is sitting behind waiver wire pickups.  

I'm pretty sure he's a FA next season so he'll most likely be gone. Where are we going to all these CB's to fill these holes?

Milliner could be done. He tore an Achilles. That's serious business for a CB. McDougle? Guy hasn't played football in 2 years. This Williams guy is probably the teams best CB. He has 4.6 speed. Any other team he's probably 3 or 4

On most other teams he'd be a 5 or 6.

Above average? Yeah, above average CBs are not benched, especially on a team with ZERO starting CBs.

He's playing really, really well. I've said from the get go this kid looks like a legit starting corner. He has the physical and mental tools. He sticks with receivers, he understands zone concepts, great awareness, and he's got ball skills. Plus he's very physical and a willing tackler, decent run support corner. If he keeps it up I wouldn't mind having him return as our #2 corner next season based on his upside, because he still barely knows this defense and he still has so much to learn and get better at being an undrafted free agent in a new system in the NFL.

He's playing really, really well. I've said from the get go this kid looks like a legit starting corner. He has the physical and mental tools. He sticks with receivers, he understands zone concepts, great awareness, and he's got ball skills. Plus he's very physical and a willing tackler, decent run support corner. If he keeps it up I wouldn't mind having him return as our #2 corner next season based on his upside, because he still barely knows this defense and he still has so much to learn and get better at being an undrafted free agent in a new system in the NFL.

Upside?  He is not big and not fast.  I like him, but handing him a job is suicide.  The mantra was competition.  He should be allowed to compete.  Let him compete for #1 corner for all I care, but there had better be at least 2 guys the world would consider viable starting CBs for him to compete with and I am not talking about Milliner or McDougle.  

Upside?  He is not big and not fast.  I like him, but handing him a job is suicide.  The mantra was competition.  He should be allowed to compete.  Let him compete for #1 corner for all I care, but there had better be at least 2 guys the world would consider viable starting CBs for him to compete with and I am not talking about Milliner or McDougle.  

He's not big? He's about 6 foot 200 pounds, what are you talking about? And from what I can tell he's plenty fast. He looks quick, sudden, explosive. I haven't seen him struggle in that area yet. There's more to playing corner than being 6'4 and being able to run a 4.2. He's bigger or just as big and probably just as fast as Revis, Haden, Verner, list goes on. And I agree, we need competition of course. I didn't say go into the season with Milliner and Williams as our cornerbacks. I want at least one stud corner (Pro Bowl caliber) to lock down the #1 job and then you let the rest of the guys compete for the #2 job. I have no faith in Dee, he can't stay healthy. If he does, great, we have a great 1-2 punch at corner. And if Williams keeps making progress he can be a solid #2 next year. That's what I was saying. Right now he's not, he needs to study more, get to know the rest of the DB's, get to know the playbook, learn the techniques etc.

He's not big? He's about 6 foot 200 pounds, what are you talking about? And from what I can tell he's plenty fast. He looks quick, sudden, explosive. I haven't seen him struggle in that area yet. There's more to playing corner than being 6'4 and being able to run a 4.2. He's bigger or just as big and probably just as fast as Revis, Haden, Verner, list goes on. And I agree, we need competition of course. I didn't say go into the season with Milliner and Williams as our cornerbacks. I want at least one stud corner (Pro Bowl caliber) to lock down the #1 job and then you let the rest of the guys compete for the #2 job. I have no faith in Dee, he can't stay healthy. If he does, great, we have a great 1-2 punch at corner. And if Williams keeps making progress he can be a solid #2 next year. That's what I was saying. Right now he's not, he needs to study more, get to know the rest of the DB's, get to know the playbook, learn the techniques etc.

He ran like a 4.6 and he was listed at 5'11" 192.  I kept hearing how McDougle is a smurf and he is 5'10" 196 at the combine. The kid belongs in camp next year, but while he has looked good it did seem they were rolling coverage away from Walls toward him to me.  I guess people at the game would know better.  

The kid is clearly a "football player"...sometimes we look at the numbers all too often and put too much into them.  Just being big and fast isn't enough....Sure you would like to have both..but if I had to choose a big fast guy that isn't a "football player" (think Hill) or a slower, smaller guy that knows how to play and gets the job done...

I know who I'm choosing every time.

yes. Wilson is the problem with the jets backfield

Wilson is just ONE of the problems in the Jets secondary. I think Williams has the best chance of this entire 'collection of talent' to be back next year. Wilson should have been dumped years ago.

please re-read my post

He's not an above average CB. Doesn't matter even if he was an undrafted rookie. He sucked n couldn't hit the starting lineup on the worst CB group in the league. Not even in nickel or dime. He's useless n his $2.4mil salary can come in handy picking up some good OL depth

My vitriol was intended toward Wilson, not you personally.  I've just never thought he was any good.  Agree to disagree.  Apologies if i came off like a prick.  

He's not an above average CB. Doesn't matter even if he was an undrafted rookie. He sucked n couldn't hit the starting lineup on the worst CB group in the league. Not even in nickel or dime. He's useless n his $2.4mil salary can come in handy picking up some good OL depth

ok. please re-re-read my post

ok. please re-re-read my post

Not sure why I should be re-re-re-reading that again n again. U called him an "above average cover corner". Not in the NFL. Maybe in the CFL. Maybe. 

Not sure why I should be re-re-re-reading that again n again. U called him an "above average cover corner". Not in the NFL. Maybe in the CFL. Maybe. 

that's because he is an above average in coverage. its other areas of his game that he lacks

that's because he is an above average in coverage. its other areas of his game that he lacks

He is NOT above average in coverage, ball hawk, tackling, seeing, hearing or breathing. If he was, he'd hand pick his starting position anywhere on this sh*tty secondary. 

Kyle Wilson is awful, like truly awful. He's made zero progress since his rookie year, still can't turn his head around.

He has 3 career picks in 5 freaking years!

Cromartie has more kids than Wilson has "passes defended" in the last 5 years...n thats after using a condom every time. 

Kyle Wilson is awful, like truly awful. He's made zero progress since his rookie year, still can't turn his head around.

He has 3 career picks in 5 freaking years!

He is NOT above average in coverage, ball hawk, tackling, seeing, hearing or breathing. If he was, he'd hand pick his starting position anywhere on this sh*tty secondary. 

ok

Archived