Who is Mike Maccagnan? A look at the Jets' top GM candidate

F.Chowds

Mike Maccagnan, the Houston Texans' director of college scouting, has emerged as the frontrunner for the New York Jets' general manager position. On Friday, he will meet for the second time with team officials. He's not a household name, not even in the scouting community. Some background:

• He's a native of Hightstown, New Jersey, and earned a degree in economics from Trinity (Connecticut) College. After graduating from Trinity, he served as an intern in the Washington Redskins' scouting department in 1990. From there, he went to the World League. He worked in the league's Dallas office as a scout before becoming the personnel director for the London Monarchs in 1991. He jumped to another league -- the CFL -- and spent three years in the personnel departments of Ottawa and Saskatchewan. This is what you call humble beginnings.
  •  
  • In 1994, Charley Casserly -- then the Washington Redskins' GM, now consulting for the Jets -- hired Maccagnan as a college scout, the start of a 20-year friendship. He moved to pro scouting the following year. When Casserly took over the expansion Texans in 2000, he brought along Maccagnan as a pro scout. A few months later, he was promoted to coordinator of college scouting. One promotion later, he was named director of college scouting in July 2011.
  •  
  • If Maccagnan is hired, he won't light up the news conference. People in the scouting community describe him as quiet and unassuming, most comfortable in a background role. He's had limited exposure to the media throughout his career. Some wonder whether he'll be able to handle the pressure of the New York spotlight. His supporters say claim that, while he doesn't have a dynamic personality, he has the ability to work well with people and isn't afraid to admit when he's wrong -- a quality former GM John Idzik never mastered.
  •  
  • One person who knows Maccagnan had this to say: "He's not a Hollywood type, but I've seen Hollywood types who couldn't stand in the middle of the Alabama locker room and pick out a single player."
  •  
  • Ultimately, the job comes down to finding talent. It's difficult to say how much input Maccagnan has had into the Texans' drafts; all we can do is judge the outcome. A recent study of the 2009-2013 drafts, conducted by USA Today, rated them 15th in the league. Obviously, they hit the jackpot with J.J. Watt (2011). Nearly all of their first- and second-rounders from 2009 to 2012 have panned out, but their two most recent drafts haven't yielded much at all. The last five drafts have produced only one Pro Bowl player -- Watt, who could be an all-time great.
  •  
  • The Texans haven't used a high draft pick on a quarterback since 2002, when they drafted David Carr No. 1 overall in the franchise's first year. If hired, Maccagnan could find himself in a position where he might have to pull the trigger on a quarterback. You'd certainly like to have someone who has been there, done that.
  •  
  • Maccagnan is the anti-Idzik in that he has no experience with the salary and negotiating contracts.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This article gets better and better every time it's posted.

Meh.... It had a couple of interesting side notes. But, overall, we continue to regurgitate news while we wait for the GM and HC to be hired.

If I have to read another "Quinn has the inside track for HC" article again I'll puke.

Just curious how the board feels about Maccagnan? The only Candidate I was intrigued by was Trent Kirchner from Seattle.

Don't know a lot about him...Seems relatively inexperienced to be a GM and being a personal guy from a team that, overall,  has been very mediocre in the draft.

With that said, if Casserly and Wolf think he's the guy then I will take their word for it and jump on the Maccagnan bandwagon.

This would be an interesting hire. I've said from the first time his name was mentioned that Casserly has had an agenda with this guy. Considering how unqualified he is you must ask the question: is Casserly going to come aboard in a full time capacity. Some sort of advisor, team president, something like that. It's very odd to go for a guy with such limited experince dealing with the press in the biggest media market in the NFL. His non experince negotiating contracts or working the free agent market really makes you think Casserly will be holding his hand in some way.

The reason I say it's interesting is because Woody isn't trying to make a big splash. I really hate that approach. Sometimes it feels like teams make moves for the benefit of the media.

If Casserly stays on full time we will be ok hiring his protege, but if it's just Mccagan on his own, I see no way this works out. He will be more over his head that Idzik.

How exactly is Maccagnan so unqualified?

Don't know a lot about him...Seems relatively inexperienced to be a GM and being a personal guy from a team that, overall,  has been very mediocre in the draft.

With that said, if Casserly and Wolf think he's the guy then I will take their word for it and jump on the Maccagnan bandwagon.

Hopefully they are right.

This would be an interesting hire. I've said from the first time his name was mentioned that Casserly has had an agenda with this guy. Considering how unqualified he is you must ask the question: is Casserly going to come aboard in a full time capacity. Some sort of advisor, team president, something like that. It's very odd to go for a guy with such limited experince dealing with the press in the biggest media market in the NFL. His non experince negotiating contracts or working the free agent market really makes you think Casserly will be holding his hand in some way.

The reason I say it's interesting is because Woody isn't trying to make a big splash. I really hate that approach. Sometimes it feels like teams make moves for the benefit of the media.

If Casserly stays on full time we will be ok hiring his protege, but if it's just Mccagan on his own, I see no way this works out. He will be more over his head that Idzik.

This is a Woody M.O.

Who cares how he is with the press. If he chooses the right players I couldn't care less if I never hear from him again.

People do, and it's part of the job...The owner of the team certainly cares about it.

Isn't that one of the reason's people use to have fired Idzik?  That mid-season press conference?

The biggest problem with this team is and has been the lack of talent on the roster. So, I really struggle to give a sh*t that we might hire a GM who has shortcomings in experience doing press conferences and accounting work, so longs as the strengths he brings to the table are talent evaluation and scouting philosophy. 

hey, if we hire a team of advisors to work with him that's fine, but managing the cap and understanding how to manipulate the NY media a huge parts of doing the job.

It's not like we didn't just fire a guy that was not prepared to do the WHOLE job and got in over his head.

Think about the Revis debacle this past offseason. There were a ton of reasons to resign him, many of them PR related. Maybe we didn't have a chance, BUT a savvy PR guy would have understood that we should have publicly been trying everything possible to get him. It looked like we just passed, and that did huge damage to Idzik.

You are exaggerating the least important part if the job. A competent GM has a good team, a good team means you don't get used by Revis agent to force the Pats hand.

10 years between promotions and he's the #3 guy in the personnel department there

#friendsofcharlie

Hard for me to disagree with this sentiment. I also cant get over the fact no one else is knocking down the door to interview him. Correct me if I'm from, but he hasn't interviewed with anyone but us. 

10 years between promotions and he's the #3 guy in the personnel department there

#friendsofcharlie

What other promotion do you expect him to receive? The Texans are notorious for giving their GM's an insane amount of time at the job.

What other promotion do you expect him to receive? The Texans are notorious for giving their GM's an insane amount of time at the job.

director of pro peeps, asst GM. The guy you want from houston is brian gaine.  He probably turned us down.  Or he doesn't know charlie

scouting college kids isn't the only responsibility of the job.  heck, the jets have an in house candidate that is better qualified imho

For those concerned he's "only done" college scouting. Yes, it's the CFL/WFL , but he was still doing the job. He knows the responsibilities/ functions.

“Maccagnan is entering his 15th year in the Texans scouting department. For the last four years, he has been their director of college scouting, coordinating all of the Texans’ college scouting efforts. In his current role, he also involved with evaluating NFL teams and prospects in preparation for NFL free agency.

“Prior to his tenure with the Redskins, Maccagnan was the director of scouting and player personnel for the CFL’s Ottawa Rough Riders and Saskatchewan Roughriders (1994). He also was the director of player personnel for the World League’s London Monarchs when that franchise captured the league championship in 1991. In 1990, Maccagnan worked in the World League office as a league scout.”

director of pro peeps, asst GM. The guy you want from houston is brian gaine.  He probably turned us down.  Or he doesn't know charlie

scouting college kids isn't the only responsibility of the job.  heck, the jets have an in house candidate that is better qualified imho

Gaine interviewed w/Jets Jan 2013.

Casserly & Co. could conceivably bring in an experienced contract negotiator/front office executive to complement the new GM's skill set.

Quinn has told friends that he would like former Buccaneers GM Mark Dominik, who has been an ESPN analyst for the past year, to join the operation. The Jets have reached out to Dominik for a possible role, but have not yet scheduled an interview, according to sources.

Who cares how he is with the press. If he chooses the right players I couldn't care less if I never hear from him again.

Got to agree here. If he hits on his picks, he doesn't have to take shut from the press and answer to anybody as long as the players he plucks perpetually perform on the playing field.

Quinn has told friends that he would like former Buccaneers GM Mark Dominik, who has been an ESPN analyst for the past year, to join the operation. The Jets have reached out to Dominik for a possible role, but have not yet scheduled an interview, according to sources.

HELL NO!!!!!

That guy was a DISASTER in the contracts he signed for Tampa - VJax, Revis, Nicks, ugh!

this macaggnan guy is going to suck a$$hole

There is nothing very encouraging or inspiring about him from what's been written on him. I want Woody to lean more on the former Jets assistant GM Ron Wolf than Bowl-cut muppet head who seems to be spearheading the effort and dropping dimes for "his peeps"

I just hope this is not some good old boy network hire by Charlie. This franchise needs solid, respected, experienced, leadership in the GM's spot. It is something that has been lacking for too many years. We always seem to chose someone who may have a strong points in one area of the job, yet weak in the overall aspects of the position. For us older fan, those who saw Joe Wille play, we are running out of seasons to see our team become what we have all prayed it would be someday.

I sure hope they get it right this time

Archived