Jerry Hughes to Buffalo Bills "I never heard of a hometown discount"

Patriot Killa

The next coach of the Buffalo Bills might have to make do without one of the team's top pass rushers in 2015.

Impending free-agent defensive end Jerry Hughes made it clear that he won't accept a hometown discount to return to Buffalo.

0ap2000000374401.jpg

"That's a nice little deal to throw out there," Hughes quipped, via The Buffalo News, "but yeah, I've never heard of a hometown discount in the business world."

Hughes is "definitely" interested in re-signing at the market rate because he has built up "so much camaraderie" with Mario Williams, Kyle Williams and Marcell Dareus on the NFL's most disruptive defensive line.

Hughes has averaged 10.0 sacks and 40 quarterback hurries over the past two years -- numbers that place him just below Pro Bowl level. For the first half of the 2014 season, he outplayed more ballyhooed first-team All-Pro Mario Williams.

"We'll do everything we can to keep him," general manager Doug Whaley said at his season-ending news conference.

Armed with a first-round pedigree, Hughes will likely seek an annual salary in the range of $7-8 million with a guaranteed number north of $12-15 million.

If Whaley doesn't meet Hughes' asking price, the 26-year-old pass rusher will go to the highest bidder on the open market.

No sh*t. Would you take less money than you're worth so you can keep living in Buffalo?

the only real hometown discount is a married guy who has a wife who don't want to move... it's worth a few mil not to have to listen to thier bs

Hughes was largely considered a bust for 3 out of his 5 years in the league. There's a reason Indy gave up on him and swapped him for another player. Like Pace last year, Hughes sacks in Buff are due to his playing along an ELITE defensive line and FINALLY playing the correct position in the proper system (OLB in a 3-4 ) which didn't occur until he landed with Pettine in Buffalo in '13

Hrs not worth that dime and is FOOL'S GOLD as a FA.

No sh*t. Would you take less money than you're worth so you can keep living in Buffalo?

Buffalo is on the rise. Pegula (and others) have made tons of investment downtown and lots of NYC'ers (mostly Brooklynites) are flocking there because of the cheap living. It's still a dump, but it's getting better.

Hughes was largely considered a bust for 3 out of his 5 years in the league. There's a reason Indy gave up on him and swapped him for another player. Like Pace last year, Hughes sacks in Buff are due to his playing along an ELITE defensive line and FINALLY playing the correct position in the proper system (OLB in a 3-4 ) which didn't occur until he landed with Pettine in Buffalo in '13

Hrs not worth that dime and is FOOL'S GOLD as a FA.

This makes a lot of sense.

Then you have to listen to the bs about the few mil. Can't win.

lmao that's a good point and actually a solid definition of marriage from the male perspective .. =  "Can't win"

Much more fun to play around with girls in their early 20's

Buffalo is on the rise. Pegula (and others) have made tons of investment downtown and lots of NYC'ers (mostly Brooklynites) are flocking there because of the cheap living. It's still a dump, but it's getting better.

I think the tide is turning also, Even Detroit is coming back around. 30 years ago most of Boston was a dump, 15 years ago the same With Providence. It is just too cheap to live there compared to the costs and time of commuting. Closer to home look at the change in some of the neighborhoods in NYC in the last 20 years. Places that cops lived, judges now do. 

And to think, we could have had him a few years ago, but we decided to pick a CB by the name of Kyle Wilson instead.

This made me go back and look at 2010 draft. In the 1st 5 rds that year, Seattle got Earl Thomas, Golden Tate, Walter Thurmond, and Cam Chancellor.Pretty nice haul.

Being a hipster city = being on the rise?  You ******* nerds are killing Brooklyn.  Everywhere I go (including Milan and Turin) I meet people from "Brooklyn" aka people from Kansas that have spent 8 months living in a loft in Williamsburg.  I don't even say I am from Brooklyn anymore.  I say Bensonhurst.  Thank God they have stayed the **** out of there for the time being.  My Dad does not interact well with them.

Archived