Chan Gailey to be OC (per SNY) (MERGED)

David Harris

Really hoping this is the case. If so, it means this organization is finally done with forcing people to work with each other, which has led to so much of the awfulness the past decade. Forcing coordinators on coaches and coaches on GMs...etc. In this instance we hired the GM, who hired the coach, who is hiring his staff. It is mind boggling to think that it took Woody 10 years to realize that is how you do sh*t.

I don't think they quite did that. Looked to me like Casserly, Wolf, and Woody had settled on Bowles, and brought Maccagnan in on the second interview just to make sure the two men could work together, share a vision. The coach doesn't report to the GM here, they each report directly to Woody. I still haven't decided how I feel about that. My hope is that they work together as equal partners, my concern is that there's a potential for a power struggle.

Anyway, yeah, I like that both men are putting together their own staffs. Maccagnan recommending assistant coaches and/or Bowles suggesting front office guys would make for nice cross pollination, too.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gailey is a mistake IMO, too old, You would think Bowles has more offensive contacts than a 63 yr old retread. Not impressed with the staff so far. I think Quinn's staff would have been better. Who cares what Cowher thinks, he has been out of the league for so long and is friends with Chan.

How do you know Quinn's staff would be better?

Too old? Why?

Perhaps Bowles wants an experienced voice on his staff.

A look at new Jets offensive coordinator Chan Gailey and his philosophy
January, 15, 2015

The most important decision a defensive-minded head coach can make is selecting an offensive coordinator. Todd Bowles has decided to ride with Chan Gailey. 

On the surface, it's a curious choice for the New York Jets. Bowles never has worked with Gailey, 63, who went off the radar after sitting out the past two seasons. His last job was coaching the Buffalo Bills in 2012, so the initial thought is that Bowles is dusting off an antique.

But, after digging a little deeper, a different picture emerges. Gailey is described as a flexible coach who knows how to maximize modest talent. Consider:

nfl_a_gailey_ps_300x200.jpg
AP Photo/Gary WiepertChan Gailey, 63, has spent the past two seasons out of the NFL after coaching the Buffalo Bills in 2012.

In 10 seasons as a coordinator and head coach, Gailey presided over only two top-10 offenses -- the 1997 Pittsburgh Steelers and 1998Dallas Cowboys. That would seem to be a red flag, but check out the quarterbacks he's had: Ryan FitzpatrickTyler Thigpen. Jay Fiedler. Kordell Stewart. Mike Tomczak. Except for a two-year run with Troy Aikman, who was at the tail end of his Hall of Fame career, Gailey hasn't worked with any elite quarterbacks. Nevertheless, his offense was good enough to make the playoffs in six of the first 10 seasons. He had no shot in Buffalo (2010-12) because he had the worst defense in the league.

• Former Steelers coach Bill Cowher swears by Gailey, and the thing he likes most about his former coordinator is that he's flexible. Said Cowher: "He's not married to a system. The one thing I like about Chan is he tries to stay unpredictable." Gailey operated a run-oriented attack with the Steelers. When he coached the Bills, he did a 180-degree turn, employing a spread passing attack that featured short, quick throws out of a one-back set. His pass-run ratio during that three-year stretch was 58-42.
  • A spread passing attack could be good for Geno Smith, who thrived in West Virginia's Air Raid attack. Obviously, systems aren't identical, but it could put Smith back into a comfort zone. Cowher suggested that Smith might have been overwhelmed by Marty Mornhinweg's complicated offense, saying, "They did a lot of different things, and it's almost one of those things where I think sometimes less is better. I think sometimes you try to do too much, too many different things. You become OK at all of it, but not really good in any one thing." Interesting take.
  • The recurring theme among people who talk about Gailey is that he adapts his scheme to suit the personnel. On that note, Cowher said he wouldn't be surprised if Gailey continues to feature the running game. After all, that's what the Jets do best. Said Cowher: "You don't have to go full-fledged into a wide-open spread offense. Let it continue to grow with the quarterback. Continue to utilize the strengths you have on the team. I don't think they're that far away."
  • The concern with Gailey is that he hasn't been in the league for two years, which means he's not as familiar with the personnel as he needs to be. He has a lot of catching up to do.
  • The Jets will look to add a veteran quarterback, and the obvious choice is Fitzpatrick -- assuming the Houston Texans are willing to let him go. He ran Gailey's spread offense in Buffalo, and he ran it well enough to land a six-year, $60 million contract. Fitzpatrick spiraled after signing the big deal, but he showed last season he's still a functional quarterback. Remember, too, that new general manager Mike Maccagnan, a former Texans executive, is familiar with him.
  • Another player to watch in the offseason is Bills running back C.J. Spiller, who will be a free agent. Under Gailey, he rushed for 1,244 yards in 2012, ripping apart defenses that were stretched thin by the three- and four-receiver packages. The Jets probably will release Chris Johnson, so they could be looking for a speed back to pair with power backChris Ivory.

• Another player to watch in the offseason is Bills running back C.J. Spiller, who will be a free agent. Under Gailey, he rushed for 1,244 yards in 2012, ripping apart defenses that were stretched thin by the three- and four-receiver packages. The Jets probably will release Chris Johnson, so they could be looking for a speed back to pair with power backChris Ivory.

Ya I see Spiller being  a major target,, will Rex sign him just to spite us and at same time keep a AFC-E team weaker?

Ya I see Spiller being  a major target,, will Rex sign him just to spite us and at same time keep a AFC-E team weaker?

Maybe. 

I think right now I'd prefer us taking RB in the draft. I'm just not a fan of giving a 2nd contract to an injury prone RB. Third round RBs can start from D1 the way the league is now.

Todd Haley did not like working with him, which means Gailey is probably awesome.

....“The best year Kordell Stewart had was in 1997. Chan did a fantastic job that year of taking his skill set and developing a very good offense around him. We went to the (AFC) championship game.” – Bill Cowher

January, 15, 2015

The most important decision a defensive-minded head coach can make is selecting an offensive coordinator. Todd Bowles has decided to ride with Chan Gailey. 

On the surface, it's a curious choice for the New York Jets. Bowles never has worked with Gailey, 63, who went off the radar after sitting out the past two seasons. His last job was coaching the Buffalo Bills in 2012, so the initial thought is that Bowles is dusting off an antique.

But, after digging a little deeper, a different picture emerges. Gailey is described as a flexible coach who knows how to maximize modest talent. Consider:

AP Photo/Gary WiepertChan Gailey, 63, has spent the past two seasons out of the NFL after coaching the Buffalo Bills in 2012.

In 10 seasons as a coordinator and head coach, Gailey presided over only two top-10 offenses -- the 1997 Pittsburgh Steelers and 1998Dallas Cowboys. That would seem to be a red flag, but check out the quarterbacks he's had: Ryan FitzpatrickTyler Thigpen. Jay Fiedler. Kordell Stewart. Mike Tomczak. Except for a two-year run with Troy Aikman, who was at the tail end of his Hall of Fame career, Gailey hasn't worked with any elite quarterbacks. Nevertheless, his offense was good enough to make the playoffs in six of the first 10 seasons. He had no shot in Buffalo (2010-12) because he had the worst defense in the league.

• Former Steelers coach Bill Cowher swears by Gailey, and the thing he likes most about his former coordinator is that he's flexible. Said Cowher: "He's not married to a system. The one thing I like about Chan is he tries to stay unpredictable." Gailey operated a run-oriented attack with the Steelers. When he coached the Bills, he did a 180-degree turn, employing a spread passing attack that featured short, quick throws out of a one-back set. His pass-run ratio during that three-year stretch was 58-42.
  • A spread passing attack could be good for Geno Smith, who thrived in West Virginia's Air Raid attack. Obviously, systems aren't identical, but it could put Smith back into a comfort zone. Cowher suggested that Smith might have been overwhelmed by Marty Mornhinweg's complicated offense, saying, "They did a lot of different things, and it's almost one of those things where I think sometimes less is better. I think sometimes you try to do too much, too many different things. You become OK at all of it, but not really good in any one thing." Interesting take.
  • The recurring theme among people who talk about Gailey is that he adapts his scheme to suit the personnel. On that note, Cowher said he wouldn't be surprised if Gailey continues to feature the running game. After all, that's what the Jets do best. Said Cowher: "You don't have to go full-fledged into a wide-open spread offense. Let it continue to grow with the quarterback. Continue to utilize the strengths you have on the team. I don't think they're that far away."
  • The concern with Gailey is that he hasn't been in the league for two years, which means he's not as familiar with the personnel as he needs to be. He has a lot of catching up to do.
  • The Jets will look to add a veteran quarterback, and the obvious choice is Fitzpatrick -- assuming the Houston Texans are willing to let him go. He ran Gailey's spread offense in Buffalo, and he ran it well enough to land a six-year, $60 million contract. Fitzpatrick spiraled after signing the big deal, but he showed last season he's still a functional quarterback. Remember, too, that new general manager Mike Maccagnan, a former Texans executive, is familiar with him.

It would be awesome if we get C.J. Spiller----   he does get hurt a lot though.   Good Riddence to CJ000k  and Mick Vick,  all wasted dollars.

...“The best year Kordell Stewart had was in 1997. Chan did a fantastic job that year of taking his skill set and developing a very good offense around him. We went to the (AFC) championship game.” – Bill Cowher

I said this somewhere else, but I think Ryan Fitzpatrick is on our roster next year. Fitz, Geno and a rookie (probably taken later in the draft).

That first rounder is going to be used on an immediate impact player.

I like Matt Moore better than Fitz but it's 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other.   The Gailey hire is curious to say the least but at 63 this may be his last stop and be able to provide some stability to an offense that will have seen 4 OC's in 5 years.  

I see almost no reason to take a QB late in the draft.   They already have Simms who has 2 years of development with the Jets and seems to be improving.   In fact, Simms could be the long term answer as a backup when Geno's contract is up.  

I like Matt Moore better than Fitz but it's 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other. The Gailey hire is curious to say the least but at 63 this may be his last stop and be able to provide some stability to an offense that will have seen 4 OC's in 5 years.

I see almost no reason to take a QB late in the draft. They already have Simms who has 2 years of development with the Jets and seems to be improving. In fact, Simms could be the long term answer as a backup when Geno's contract is up.

I want to like Simms, I really do. He's never shown me much of anything though. McElroy was better.

Maybe. 

I think right now I'd prefer us taking RB in the draft. I'm just not a fan of giving a 2nd contract to an injury prone RB. Third round RBs can start from D1 the way the league is now.

Agreed. Unless it's somebody on the level of AP, it makes no sense.

January, 15, 2015

Good article.  Some people here were pining for Adam Gase because he was the coordinator of a really good Denver offense. Well, any coordinator will look good with Peyton Manning.

Gailey is a good offensive coach.  Not sure what people are complaining about.  In fact, every hire the Jets have made this offseason has been a good one.

Maybe. 

Normally I'd agree that we just take another RB in the mid-rounds.  However, I submit these as reasons to support a Spiller signing:

1.  He's only 27.

2.  Gailey runs a zone-blocking scheme that can be difficult for rookie RB's to pick up quickly.

3.  He could be a young QB's best friend if we're forced to put a rookie QB in action at any point in time next year.

4.  Spiller had his best year with Gailey.

5.  Unlike the typical mid-round guys we get in the draft, Spiller really is a 1st round talent, and was taken as such.  I like guys like Powell.  But Spiller takes us to the higher level at the RB position, unlike washed up Chris Johnson.

6.  We'd be stealing him from Rex and Buffalo, which would be nice for the "revenge factor".

Obviously all of this is contingent on price.  If he wants bell-cow starter money you tell him to take a hike.  But if he's willing to let 40 % of his touches go to Ivory/Powell and is only looking for "1a/1b" RB money, go for it.  We have $50M in cap space to play with so we can overpay just a little and it would be fine with me.

Gailey is a mistake IMO, too old, You would think Bowles has more offensive contacts than a 63 yr old retread.  Not impressed with the staff so far.  I think Quinn's staff would have been better. Who cares what Cowher thinks, he has been out of the league for so long and is friends with Chan.

From what I remember, Gailey the Offensive Coordinator has always been outstanding, his shortcomings have come as a Head Coach.

I used to love to watch the Steelers offense back then, very Urban Meyer like.

Oh, and I'll also add that whatever DeMarco Murray gets on the open market could go a long way towards determining how much Spiller would cost.

Compensatory picks would have to be a factor too.  Is Spiller worth a 2016 5th rounder on top of what we're paying him? 

Oh, and I'll also add that whatever DeMarco Murray gets on the open market could go a long way towards determining how much Spiller would cost.

Compensatory picks would have to be a factor too.  Is Spiller worth a 2016 5th rounder on top of what we're paying him? 

Comp picks aren't an issue. Almost impossible to imagine the Jets losing more free agents than they sign this year. 

Normally I'd agree that we just take another RB in the mid-rounds.  However, I submit these as reasons to support a Spiller signing:

1.  He's only 27.

2.  Gailey runs a zone-blocking scheme that can be difficult for rookie RB's to pick up quickly.

3.  He could be a young QB's best friend if we're forced to put a rookie QB in action at any point in time next year.

5.  Unlike the typical mid-round guys we get in the draft, Spiller really is a 1st round talent, and was taken as such.  I like guys like Powell.  But Spiller takes us to the higher level at the RB position, unlike washed up Chris Johnson.

6.  We'd be stealing him from Rex and Buffalo, which would be nice for the "revenge factor".

Obviously all of this is contingent on price.  If he wants bell-cow starter money you tell him to take a hike.  But if he's willing to let 40 % of his touches go to Ivory/Powell and is only looking for "1a/1b" RB money, go for it.  We have $50M in cap space to play with so we can overpay just a little and it would be fine with me.

Fair enough. 

In my mind I have us finding a way to trade down, taking Gurley or Gordon. I think if we go from 6 to like 18 we can get one of them. That should give us 18, our 2nd early and then probably another 2nd, so I saw us coming out of it with Gordon, a stud OL and a QB of the future in the first 2 rounds. 

WR we sign in FA, because there are GOOD ones this year and we have the cap.

CB we sign in FA. 

Good article.  Some people here were pining for Adam Gase because he was the coordinator of a really good Denver offense. Well, any coordinator will look good with Peyton Manning.

Gailey is a good offensive coach.  Not sure what people are complaining about.  In fact, every hire the Jets have made this offseason has been a good one.

I could't agree with this more.  

What is there to complain about with this guy?  He's been a very successful OC in this league for years.  Has proven to be very adaptive to his talent and Has gotten a lot out of a little throughout his career.  He also brings HC experience which can be helpful to a first time HC.

Lastly, 63 really isn't that old, many of these guys coach into their 70's.  

Been holding back on this decision, but honestly I cannot say I'm particularly excited by old Chan Gailey.  

His resume isn't very impressive, he's rather old and may be schematically outdated at this point.

Just not the kind of hire that inspires a feeling of "This time, this time the Offense will get the attention, and fixes, it needs to be competitive".

I've been very supportive this offseason of Woody and how he's handled things, who he's hired, etc.

But this one.......this one both surprises me with it's boring lack of ambition and vision, and worries me that Bowles (who I like alot) might "need" an old man to babysit him in his first fulltime HC gig.

I expected better, honestly.  Even Kyle Shannahan-level better would have been more exciting/inspiring, and thats not saying much.

Is what it is I guess.

1.  He's only 27.

awesome take.  spiller also recently said that he's a perfect fit in Chan's offense and that he'd be foolish not to try FA.  although Gailey isn't the sexiest of names, maybe him being here can get us some good offensive players because of his propensity on offense.

Been holding back on this decision, but honestly I cannot say I'm particularly excited by old Chan Gailey.  

His resume isn't very impressive, he's rather old and may be schematically outdated at this point.

Just not the kind of hire that inspires a feeling of "This time, this time the Offense will get the attention, and fixes, it needs to be competitive".

I've been very supportive this offseason of Woody and how he's handled things, who he's hired, etc.

But this one.......this one both surprises me with it's boring lack of ambition and vision, and worries me that Bowles (who I like alot) might "need" an old man to babysit him in his first fulltime HC gig.

I expected better, honestly.  Even Kyle Shannahan-level better would have been more exciting/inspiring, and thats not saying much.

Is what it is I guess.

understood, it isn't too sexy.  but in all honesty, what has Shannahan done as an OC that makes you think he'd be a better choice?  i can't think of any of his offenses that were that amazing.

Is what it is I guess.

I felt the same way as you but read this article by Rich Cimini made feel a little better (plus having an experienced OC will help a rookie defensive minded coach in his first year):

Chan Gailey and his philosophy

January, 15, 2015
Jan 15
12:45
PM ET
By Rich Cimini | ESPN.com

On the surface, it's a curious choice for the New York Jets. Bowles never has worked with Gailey, 63, who went off the radar after sitting out the past two seasons. His last job was coaching the Buffalo Bills in 2012, so the initial thought is that Bowles is dusting off an antique.

• [+] Enlargenfl_a_gailey_ps_300x200.jpg
    In 10 seasons as a coordinator and head coach, Gailey presided over only two top-10 offenses -- the 1997 Pittsburgh Steelers and 1998 Dallas Cowboys. That would seem to be a red flag, but check out the quarterbacks he's had: Ryan Fitzpatrick. Tyler Thigpen. Jay Fiedler. Kordell Stewart. Mike Tomczak. Except for a two-year run with Troy Aikman, who was at the tail end of his Hall of Fame career, Gailey hasn't worked with any elite quarterbacks. Nevertheless, his offense was good enough to make the playoffs in six of the first 10 seasons. He had no shot in Buffalo (2010-12) because he had the worst defense in the league.
    • A spread passing attack could be good for Geno Smith, who thrived in West Virginia's Air Raid attack. Obviously, systems aren't identical, but it could put Smith back into a comfort zone. Cowher suggested that Smith might have been overwhelmed by Marty Mornhinweg's complicated offense, saying, "They did a lot of different things, and it's almost one of those things where I think sometimes less is better. I think sometimes you try to do too much, too many different things. You become OK at all of it, but not really good in any one thing." Interesting take.
    • The Jets will look to add a veteran quarterback, and the obvious choice is Fitzpatrick -- assuming the Houston Texans are willing to let him go. He ran Gailey's spread offense in Buffalo, and he ran it well enough to land a six-year, $60 million contract. Fitzpatrick spiraled after signing the big deal, but he showed last season he's still a functional quarterback. Remember, too, that new general manager Mike Maccagnan, a former Texans executive, is familiar with him.
    • Another player to watch in the offseason is Bills running back C.J. Spiller, who will be a free agent. Under Gailey, he rushed for 1,244 yards in 2012, ripping apart defenses that were stretched thin by the three- and four-receiver packages. The Jets probably will release Chris Johnson, so they could be looking for a speed back to pair with power back Chris Ivory.

Has there ever been a truly "impressive" Coordinator?  All the best ones tend to be failed head coaches.  That's why we view them negatively.  Gailey is fine for this team.  The problem is talent.  McCagnan is who we need to be the MOST impressive right now, followed by Bowles. 

Gailey can't fix anything for this team if the guys above him don't do well here.  Yet because he's closest to the action on the side of the ball we've struggled on since 1998 and  the first 11 games of 2008, we view whoever we hire to that position as the savior.  Gailey is not, nor is any OC ever hired with that intent.

Fair enough. 

In my mind I have us finding a way to trade down, taking Gurley or Gordon. I think if we go from 6 to like 18 we can get one of them. That should give us 18, our 2nd early and then probably another 2nd, so I saw us coming out of it with Gordon, a stud OL and a QB of the future in the first 2 rounds. 

WR we sign in FA, because there are GOOD ones this year and we have the cap.

CB we sign in FA. 

Count me as one not all THAT impressed with Gurley.  Coming off a major injury and their current RB, Chubb, actually outperformed him before his injury.  We should be targeting Georgia's offensive linemen.

My initial reaction to Gailey was, blech.  But after doing research (articles have been posted earlier in

the thread) he was Chip Kelly before anybody ever heard of Chip Kelly.  The concepts Kelly is using now

Gailey was using 15 years ago.  Another thing I like about the Gailey hire is it already shows me Bowles

has a definite vision on what he wants his offense to look like because they have never worked together.

So that means Bowles has watched Gailey's schemes over the years and appreciates the effectiveness 

of them

Another thing I like about the Gailey hire is it already shows me Bowles

has a definite vision on what he wants his offense to look like because they have never worked together.

It also tells me that Bowles wanted a guy with HC experience to minimize his transition period for learning the job.  Smart.  I know the whole "Mentor" thing is overrated, especially since Gailey was a FAILED Head Coach, but it can't hurt either.

Sorry, if the Chan Gailey selling point is a "Fitzpatrick hands off to Spiller" offense.......well, ok.  Is what it is I guess.

I hope for better than the same offense and players we saw in Buffalo that was never, IMO, terribly impressive.

We'll see.

It also tells me that Bowles wanted a guy with HC experience to minimize his transition period for learning the job.  Smart.  I know the whole "Mentor" thing is overrated, especially since Gailey was a FAILED Head Coach, but it can't hurt either.

Failing as a coach doesn't = failing as a mentor.

Mentoring is should never be considered over-rated. 

Archived