Report: NFL investigating whether Patriots purposely deflated footballs during win over Colts

CM28

Why would it bother me that people who can't even defend their own arguments accuse us of cheating?

You're just mad about our dominance and try to find tin foil hat conspiracy theories to justify it.

As far as I'm concerned it's great and hilarious and I look forward to watching people cry after every single game.

Legal formations are cheating, a ball that was low on air is taken out of the game and replaced and now that's Deflategate, etc etc.

Keep it coming man. I love it.

Oh yea it's just us with this right?

NFL reportedly investigating if Patriots used deflated footballs in AFC Championship game

Jan. 18, 2015: New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady (12) passes against the Indianapolis Colts during the second half of the NFL football AFC Championship game in Foxborough, Mass. (AP)

No sooner did the New England Patriots clinch a trip to the Super Bowl than fresh allegations of cheating emerged against the franchise late Sunday, this time involving deflated footballs.

A reporter from Indianapolis, whose Colts were annihilated by Bill Belichick, Tom Brady and company, tweeted after the 45-7 loss that the NFL had seized at least one game ball from the AFC championship game to examine whether pigskins were intentionally deflated to make them easier to throw and catch.

“The NFL is investigating the possibility,” Bob Kravitz, of WTHR, tweeted, adding that, “at one point the officials took a ball out of play and weighed it.”

New York Newsday confirmed the report in a tweet early Monday, saying that NFL spokesman Michael Signora saying the league is looking into whether footballs were properly inflated during the game.

“The NFL is investigating the possibility."

- Bob Kravitz, WTHR

If the Patriots did cheat, it would not be the first time. The team was penalized a first-round draft pick, fined $250,000 and head coach Belichick was personally fined $500,000 after an investigation by the NFL determined the team had illegally videotaped their opponents hand signals during a 2007 game.

And unsubstantiated accusations of cheating have long dogged the team, stemming from their Super Bowl wins in 2002, 2004 and 2005. The St. Louis Rams claimed the team illegally videotaped their walk-through practices prior to the 2002 game, and players on the other defeated opponents have said the Patriots seemed to have inside knowledge of their playbooks.

The Patriots lost the Super Bowl in 2008 and 2012, both times to the New York Giants.

Deflating footballs would theoretically have made it easier for quarterback Tom Brady, who completed 23 of 35 passes for 226 yards and three touchdowns, to throw and for his receivers to catch in the bad weather of Sunday’s game in Foxboro. But it also should have benefited Colts' quarterback Andrew Luck, who had a miserable game, completing 12 of 33 passes for a mere 126 yards.

According to NFL rules, home teams are required to provide 36 balls for outdoor games and make the balls available for testing with a pressure gauge prior to the game.

The Patriots were also accused of flouting the rules in the game before Sunday’s contest, in which they beat the Baltimore Ravens using unorthodox formations that Ravens Coach John Harbaugh said were designed to confuse the officials and his defense.

However, the margin of victory and the fact that the Colts used the same game balls make it unlikely the cheating, if it occurred, had much of an impact on the game’s outcome. If the allegation is proven, the NFL could take away draft picks from the Partriots.

The University of Southern California, under Lane Kiffin, was fined for deflating footballs in 2012 against arch-rival Oregon. Kiffin blamed a student-manager, who was fired.

Super Bowl XLIX takes place Feb. 1 in Glendale, Arizona. The defedning champion Seattle Seahawks, who punched a return ticket with a 28-22 win over the Green Bay Packers prior to the Patriots-Colts game, are a two-and-a-half-point favorite in early betting.

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Report: NFL looking into whether Patriots “deflated footballs” in AFC title game

Getty Images

As the attention of the football world turns to Super Bowl XLIX, there is reportedly some question about the game balls used in the AFC Championship.

Bob Kravitz of WTHR.com and NBC’s WTHR-TV in Indianapolis reports the NFL is looking into whether the Patriots “deflated” game balls during their 45-7 victory over the Colts on Sunday night. Kravitz reports a ball was taken out of action to be weighed.

According to the NFL’s 2014 rule book, game balls are to be inflated with between 12.5 and 13.5 pounds of air. Per NFL rules, home and road teams must provide 12 game balls apiece to be tested and approved by the league 135 minutes before game time. The home team also has to have 12 reserve game balls on hand to be tested, with the road team also having that option in outdoor games.

Kravitz reports punishment for deflation could involve the NFL taking away draft selections. That prospect, however, would seemingly have to be tied to having proof of intent to deflate the ball with an eye on getting an edge, perhaps by making the ball easier to grip.

The Patriots lost their 2008 first-round pick as punishment for taping Jets signals. Head coach Bill Belichick was fined $500,000, and the Patriots were docked $250,000.

Deflate-gate? Report says NFL investigating Pats

Foxboro, MA (SportsNetwork.com) - The New England Patriots are reportedly being investigated by the NFL for deflating footballs during Sunday's AFC Championship Game.

The Patriots beat the Indianapolis Colts, 45-7, at Gillette Stadium in a game that was played in a rainstorm, especially in the second half.

A source within the NFL told WHTR.com's Bob Kravitz that the league was investigating the possibility the Patriots deflated footballs. A source told Kravitz, officials took a ball out of play at one point and weighed it. He said more should be heard Monday on the subject.

According to the NFL rule book, in a game played outdoors, the home team will have 36 balls "available for testing with a pressure gauge by the referee two hours prior to the starting time of the game to meet with League requirements."

Kravitz noted a deflated football could be easier to throw and catch in inclement weather than a properly inflated ball. He also was told that if the NFL confirms the Patriots deflated the footballs it would result in the team losing draft picks.

Taking the air out of Patriots’ victory?

Hours after New England’s obliteration of Indianapolis in Sunday’s AFC Championship Game, Bob Kravitz of Indianapolis TV station WTHR reported that according to a source, the NFL is investigating whether the Patriots deflated footballs during the game.

Why deflate the ball? The reason apparently is because it could become easier to throw and catch.

As for its impact on the game, here’s what Kravitz said on Twitter:

Nobody is suggesting this is why the colts lost obviously. They were manhandled.

— Bob Kravitz (@bkravitz) January 19, 2015

On Monday morning, Newsday’s Bob Glauber confirmed what Kravitz initially reported:

NFL spokesman Michael Signora confirms the NFL is looking into whether footballs were properly inflated in Patriots-Colts game.

— Bob Glauber (@BobGlauber) January 19, 2015

Bill Belichick’s Patriots, of course, are no strangers to controversy. The infamous “Spygate” scandal, in which it was revealed New England videotaped opponents’ defensive signals, erupted during the season. New England was fined $250,000 and stripped of their 2008 first-round draft pick. That campaign ended with the Patriots’ bid for a perfect season fizzling in a stunning Super Bowl loss to the New York Giants. Coincidence or not, New England hasn’t won a Super Bowl since Spygate occurred, with losses to New York following the 2007 and 2011 seasons.

Expect Deflate-gate, as it’s already been dubbed on social media, to generate plenty of chatter leading to the Super Bowl against Seattle on Feb. 1 in Glendale, Ariz.

If you’re wondering, deflating the ball isn’t a foreign concept in sports. Check out this excerpt from Sam Smith’s “The Jordan Rules,” which chronicled the 1990-91 Chicago Bulls seasons.

"They are cheaters," Williams said of the Patriots back in training camp. "They are."

Tell us something we DON'T KNOW. The Pats are the most despicable franchise in NFL history with a murderous TE that they had to know was a ticking time bomb with all the security measures they use in sports these days. I am from Bristol, CT originally and played basketball with Aaron Hernandez uncle Dennis. Aaron is a known gang member who takes his allegiance with his gang seriously. The Pats had to know that, yet gave him a 40 million contract. Then they act surprised when he gets in serious trouble. Hope the Seahawks squash them and break Brady's leg and end this "dynasty" once and for all. Once Brady is gone Belicheat will follow since he is in reality a pi$$ poor HC. Just ask Cleveland.

BREAKING: New England Patriots Being Investigated for Cheating Again

On a night that his Patriots trounced the Colts 45-7 en route to the Super Bowl, we learn that Belichick and company may have been cheating yet again. Take a look at this Tweet from Bob Kravitz, a reporter from Indianapolis:

Breaking: A league source tells me the NFL is investigating the possibility the Patriots deflated footballs Sunday night. More to come.

— Bob Kravitz (@bkravitz) January 19, 2015

Kravitz went on to state that if the NFL finds that the Patriots did, in fact, deflate footballs, they could lose draft picks.

Obviously this is not the reason for the loss. The Patriots outplayed the Colts in all aspects of the game. They whipped them. But, just the fact that Belichick may have cheated in some way is deplorable. He has a terrific football team, whether we want to admit it or not. His team is good, they don’t have to cheat. Yet they continue to cheat, with fairly little push back from the NFL.

This is why everyone hates the Patriots. This is the team that called out the Jets for tampering? Talk about hypocrisy…

Why would it bother me that people who can't even defend their own arguments accuse us of cheating?

You're just mad about our dominance and try to find tin foil hat conspiracy theories to justify it.

As far as I'm concerned it's great and hilarious and I look forward to watching people cry after every single game.

Legal formations are cheating, a ball that was low on air is taken out of the game and replaced and now that's Deflategate, etc etc.

Your dominance will last only as long as Brady is elite, which is not much longer. Then you lose both him and your beloved HC, who will walk away to preserve his legacy, which is simply one of cheating better than everyone else.

Tell us something we DON'T KNOW. The Pats are the most despicable franchise in NFL history with a murderous TE that they had to know was a ticking time bomb with all the security measures they use in sports these days. I am from Bristol, CT originally and played basketball with Aaron Hernandez uncle Dennis. Aaron is a known gang member who takes his allegiance with his gang seriously. The Pats had to know that, yet gave him a 40 million contract. Then they act surprised when he gets in serious trouble. Hope the Seahawks squash them and break Brady's leg and end this "dynasty" once and for all. Once Brady is gone Belicheat will follow since he is in reality a pi$$ poor HC. Just ask Cleveland.

My god, you guys cry and whine more every day.

Your dominance will last only as long as Brady is elite, which is not much longer. Then you lose both him and your beloved HC, who will walk away to preserve his legacy, which is simply one of cheating better than everyone else.

What dominance? All they've done in the last 10 years is lose two Super Bowls! I feel like I am taking crazy pills!

"our"

LMFAO you Masshole's and your inadequacy issues. The only redeeming quality of this state is that it's halfway between New York and Maine, and has a strong innovation economy. Otherwise, it is the equivalent of a lactose intolerant bowel movement.

Hey Schmuckboy! If you had actually bothered to read my posts in this thread. I've actually been defending the Pats and saying that the deflated balls had little to no impact on yesterday's game. 

It must suck to root for a team that you constantly feel the need to defend, even against someone who is not attacking them. 

Dude, save your breath, he's not even a Cheatriots fan.  He's a Brady fan.  He's admitted he wont even root for the team after he retires.  He could care less about the fact he roots for a team embedded in systematic cheating because he's not a fan of the team. He wants suck the sweat off Brady's balls.

The real question is--Can the Patriots NOT cheat?

It's like an addiction for Belichick.  Even when it doesn't give them a discernible advantage Belichick will still break the rules.

Yeah, he's addicted to it. Like men who cannot stay faithful in their marriage, many cheat because of the "rush" it gives them to get away with it, no other reason. Same thing happens with people who steal, they get addicted to getting away with it. 

What an empty human being.

Dude, save your breath, he's not even a Cheatriots fan.  He's a Brady fan.  He's admitted he wont even root for the team after he retires.  He could care less about the fact he roots for a team embedded in systematic cheating because he's not a fan of the team. He wants suck the sweat off Brady's balls.

Yeah, him and Jim Nantz. 

geez... the Patriots cheat even when they don't have to.  It's systemic throughout that organization.  Belichick is a born cheater.  Must be in his genetics.  Very sad how his unscrupulous actions besmirch the entire league.  Shame on the NE Patriots and shame on Robert Kraft for condoning it.  A slimey, corrupt organization to the end.

Man, this is terrible, there is nothing worse than trying to play with deflated balls. No wonder Luck looked so emasculated.

The Colts bring their own footballs and use them exclusively.

Some surmise they had helium in them the way they were floating up towards the bleachers.

First Spygate and now we have Deflate-Gate......way to go Cheatriots.

I cant wait for the ESPN 30 for 30 special 10 years from now about the tarnished and tainted legacy of Belicheat/Brady.  Its gonna be a great watch!  I wonder what the title of the show will be....maybe "Wicked Cheaters" or "Cheaters Do Actually Win"

Yeah, he's addicted to it. Like men who cannot stay faithful in their marriage, many cheat because of the "rush" it gives them to get away with it, no other reason. Same thing happens with people who steal, they get addicted to getting away with it. 

What an empty human being.

Yes.  Dishonesty is in his blood and the drunken team owner condones it apparently.

There has not been a more corrupt, despicable organization in professional sports since the Blacksox scandal.  Patriots bring cheating to a new level.  What an embarrassment to the true fans and to the NFL.  Have another drink Mr. Kraft.  

Archived