If this was Dan Quinn's Defense

TomsRiverJet

I'm glad we went the way we did with Todd Bowles. I saw "jet like" mistakes with the glaring ones being a LB mismatch with Gronk especially on the TD Pass. No adjustments, even Collingsworth called them out on it.

Biggest Glaring Deer in the headlights was whoever was covering that worm, Edelman. How many times did u see him line up in the slot and the DB line up just like our buddy Kyle Wilson and give the cushion. The WR clears out his man, The worm is unchallenged turns towards the sideline, ducks the first tackle and gains 3 - 8 yards including a few for 1st down. It was toss and catch all night and a quick pickup. No answer for it. How many catches did the worm have last night, 15 ? Sad things were there didn't seem to be any adjustments. I know they lost a guy with the broken arm ( did u see the photo... ugh ). How about press coverage, in his face? 

If this is what we would have looked forward to 2x a year next season, no thanks... The more I hear about Todd the more I love the move we made.

I'm glad we went the way we did with Todd Bowles. I saw "jet like" mistakes with the glaring ones being a LB mismatch with Gronk especially on the TD Pass. No adjustments, even Collingsworth called them out on it.

Biggest Glaring Deer in the headlights was whoever was covering that worm, Edelman. How many times did u see him line up in the slot and the DB line up just like our buddy Kyle Wilson and give the cushion. The WR clears out his man, The worm is unchallenged turns towards the sideline, ducks the first tackle and gains 3 - 8 yards including a few for 1st down. It was toss and catch all night and a quick pickup. No answer for it. How many catches did the worm have last night, 15 ? Sad things were there didn't seem to be any adjustments. I know they lost a guy with the broken arm ( did u see the photo... ugh ). How about press coverage, in his face? 

If this is what we would have looked forward to 2x a year next season, no thanks... The more I hear about Todd the more I love the move we made.

The Jets did a better job against Tom Brady with Darrin Walls, Marcus Williams, Calvin Pryor and Dawan Landry than Quinn did the legion of boom. 

Honestly, I don't think there was much Quinn could've done to fix the match-up problems they had. Seattle loves man coverage and Amendola, Gronk, and Edelman were crushing their match-ups all night no matter who was on them. That, and their secondary was banged up. Once Lane came up injured, it was not good as Martin got picked on repeatedly. 

Either way, happy with Bowles over Quinn for now. It sounds like Quinn is getting a lot of personnel control in Atlanta, which is scary to me since he's a first-time HC and I think it's problematic to have a HC making drafting and personnel calls anyways since they can't nearly devote the time and don't necessarily have the expertise to scout players as a GM might.

Agreed!!!  NE offense is based on tons of "rub routes" and "dink & dunk" passes, they rarely ever

challenge you down the field.  SEA should have done a better job taking the underneath stuff away 

and forcing Brady to go deep where Sherman, Thomas & Chancellor could have impacted the game.

I wasn't impressed at all with the scheme Quinn put together, we played NE way better than they did

Rex-like D in the 4th quarter giving up a 2 score lead.  Rex's always bragged about his D but far too often we fell short in crunch time.

That's alway's been Rex's story...Brag about the defense..and then in a key crucial time during the game we give up the big play to lose..or the defense is staunch for most of the game..and the other team just drive's down the field on us..i cant wait to hear those press conferences when we beat them twice next year...........and "MY GOD"...last nite the "CATCH TYREE"...allover again ...the beast crack's it to the one...20sec's,2 timeout......What were they thinking....Bellechek must to have gone to Mass yesterday morning.....?

Agreed!!!  NE offense is based on tons of "rub routes" and "dink & dunk" passes, they rarely ever

challenge you down the field.  SEA should have done a better job taking the underneath stuff away 

and forcing Brady to go deep where Sherman, Thomas & Chancellor could have impacted the game.

I wasn't impressed at all with the scheme Quinn put together, we played NE way better than they did

I agree with this, especially after the first quarter when it became evident that Brady was throwing wobbly passes and couldn't make an accurate throw down the field. 

The Jets did a better job against Tom Brady with Darrin Walls, Marcus Williams, Calvin Pryor and Dawan Landry than Quinn did the legion of boom. 

In the 4th quarter alone against the Legion of Boom defense, supposedly the best defense since the '85 Bears, Brady overcame a 10 point deficet by going 13/15, 128 yards and 2 TD's.

Offense deserves the majority of blame. Defense was unimpressive though. 

Overall Belicheck >>>> Carroll, Quinn and Bevell yesterday.

Both D's were terrible.  Both D's allowed end of half drives that changed everything and one should have cost the other team the game.  Long, easy drives, etc.  One created turnovers, the other didnt.

BB would have looked like an idiot sitting there not using a time out on the goal line if the Seahawks scored.  So I dont see how you're crediting BB for that win.  He got extremely lucky.  

Both D's were terrible.  Both D's allowed end of half drives that changed everything and one should have cost the other team the game.  Long, easy drives, etc.  One created turnovers, the other didnt.

BB would have looked like an idiot sitting there not using a time out on the goal line if the Seahawks scored.  So I dont see how you're crediting BB for that win.  He got extremely lucky.  

I think you're misinterpreting what I'm getting at.

I've said repeatedly that this game was about 2 coaches trying to give this game away. Not so much crediting Beli, as much as saying Carol's group ultimately gave the game away harder.

In the 4th quarter alone against the Legion of Boom defense, supposedly the best defense since the '85 Bears, Brady overcame a 10 point deficet by going 13/15, 128 yards and 2 TD's.

Yep...no idea how the Jets played Brady far better than the LOB.

Brady had a great 4th qt no doubt, but the Hawks D is not even close to the 2000 Ravens.

don't agree, Seattle came out with much better adjustments and should've won the game until Bevell happenned

Not letting Bevell off the hook at all. He should be skewered for that call.

But they also had a ten point lead, and let the Pats dink and dunk their way to pull ahead. That was a Rex-like late game letdown on defense.

We lost both games by a combined 3 points.  I will never get tired of cursing Idzik; the idiot who could have signed both Revis and Cro for 15 million and another 5 million to WR Emmanuel Brown.  Instead the imbecile while building thru the draft went with Shaq Evans, Mcdougle and the 5'6 Sounders and spending "smart” went with David Nelson, Paterson, Walls and the 6th round safety playing CB.  A player or two could have been the difference in 10 games last season. .

We lost both games by a combined 3 points.  I will never get tired of cursing Idzik; the idiot who could have signed both Revis and Cro for 15 million and another 5 million to WR Emmanuel Brown.  Instead the imbecile while building thru the draft went with Shaq Evans, Mcdougle and the 5'6 Sounders and spending "smart” went with David Nelson, Paterson, Walls and the 6th round safety playing CB.  A player or two could have been the difference in 10 games last season. .

Historically bad off-season for Idzik, although I still think some of his picks will work out.

Not letting Bevell off the hook at all. He should be skewered for that call.

But they also had a ten point lead, and let the Pats dink and dunk their way to pull ahead. That was a Rex-like late game letdown on defense.

See this is where I disagree, while NE was coming back, the Seattle offense went 4 and out, 3 and out and 3 and out... No defense stops NE in that spot when the offense keeps giving it right back.

"Rex-like" defensive breakdowns are often traced back to offensive ineptitude

don't agree, Seattle came out with much better adjustments and should've won the game until Bevell happenned

Beli's offensive adjustments in the 2nd half were better than Seattle's defensive adjustments. 

Let's put it this way, if the Kearse play doesn't happen, then we're only talking about how the vaunted Seattle D couldn't contain Brady in the 2nd half, not about the Bevell/Carol decision to pass.

I think you're misinterpreting what I'm getting at.

I've said repeatedly that this game was about 2 coaches trying to give this game away. Not so much crediting Beli, as much as saying Carol's group ultimately gave the game away harder.

Maybe, you made it seem like ultimately BB is the reason they won...and I just dont see it that way, but yes...clearly that was gift wrapped.

Beli's offensive adjustments in the 2nd half were better than Seattle's defensive adjustments. 

Let's put it this way, if the Kearse play doesn't happen, then we're only talking about how the vaunted Seattle D couldn't contain Brady in the 2nd half, not about the Bevell/Carol decision to pass.

People acting like that Kearse play was the only reason they'd get there aren't paying attention. Seattle was on the 38, with 2 timeouts and a 1:14 to go. They had just driven 42 yards in 38 seconds, and had plenty of time to get down there.

btw.. the big play = Belicheat had Collins #91 on Lynch for a 31 yard gain, how that's not an indictment of belicheat I don't know

Seattle doesnt make adjustments.  They literally just line up the exact same way every play.  Its bizarre.  They literally do nothing different at all throuhgout the course of a game except maybe blitz a LB'er or a S occasionally...otherwise its cover 2 or cover 3, all game long.

Honestly, I don't think there was much Quinn could've done to fix the match-up problems they had. Seattle loves man coverage and Amendola, Gronk, and Edelman were crushing their match-ups all night no matter who was on them. That, and their secondary was banged up. Once Lane came up injured, it was not good as Martin got picked on repeatedly. 

Either way, happy with Bowles over Quinn for now. It sounds like Quinn is getting a lot of personnel control in Atlanta, which is scary to me since he's a first-time HC and I think it's problematic to have a HC making drafting and personnel calls anyways since they can't nearly devote the time and don't necessarily have the expertise to scout players as a GM might.

Rex loves man coverage too, but he had the Pats in check with sh*t for secondary last year. Quinn failed to make simple adjustments in the biggest (or 2nd biggest) game of his career so far.

Rex-like D in the 4th quarter giving up a 2 score lead.  Rex's always bragged about his D but far too often we fell short in crunch time.

Think about when Rex had Revis in his first year.  We had Pouha, DeVito, and Douglas upfront.  Zero pass rush and still somehow Rex was able generate pressure.  That defense was ranked #1 in spite of Sanchez putting the defense in difficult situation because Rex could buy some time on the outside to confuse QB.   Who did the Jets had this past season? Walls and Allen playing CB, Landry and Pryor playing safeties, Pace, Harris, Couples and Davis at LB and still his defense was ranked #4.  How many times our QB gave us a chance as you said?  It is not like we got Tannehill 28 TD and 12 int last season as oppose to Geno 13 td and 13 int.  

Archived