2015 Mets thread!

adb280z

He's decent but Torres has put in a lot of work this season.  I'm guessing they think they can spell him a little bit with Clippard.  Have another option to be first out when they need him early.

Mejia's may have served his regular season suspension, but he would not be eligible for the post season, so Clippard would be an extra arm they might need if they get that far.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep.  And it was completely awful timing too.  A record 8 shortstops went in the 1st round of the '15 draft and we didn't have a 1st to use on one.  On the heels of Carlos Correa's emergence we're about to see a mid-90's-esque renaissance of sorts at the SS position, but we may have missed the boat.  Gotta hope that Amed Rosario and/or Gavin Cecchini work out so we won't regret that.

Mets probably would not have gone shortstop in the first round regardless. 

Mejia's may have served his regular season suspension, but he would not be eligible for the post season, so Clippard would be an extra arm they might need if they get that far.

Good point. Familia is up there in most innings pitched for a reliever too...so I kind of getting wanting to add someone else out of the bullpen. 

So looking at the numbers, the Cy is definitely Greinke's to lose, but I'd have deGromm, Scherzer, and Kershaw tied for second. Out of those three I think deGromm has probably been the best over the past two months or so. Greinke has been Hershiser levels of good this season, but if he lets up the deGromm has a serious shot at this.

Trying to squeeze a few more games out of the starters with innings limits, too. With Clippard, you can pull Harvey out after 7 without breaking into a flop sweat.

In all seriousness, best part about the past week is that the Mets haven't used any of their bigger trade pieces yet. I still say something big happens closer to zero hour. Sellers are finally coming around which means prices are going to drop. Especially with Oakland and Cinci. And the good news is we've been talking to both a lot.

Man, I'm still holding out some hope for Cespedes. It's not gonna happen but come oooooon. Bullpen's shored up and we added some depth offensively, Cespedes makes us a legit contender.

Two trades in 3 days. I think this is more fun than Tyson Chandler because you're essentially trolling yourself at this point.

1. While Chandler we better than a PUDG, your boy Melo ran him straight out of town like a one-man zombie apocalypse.

2. The Mets made two trades that added $5 mil in salary, or roughly 1/3rd of the money they clawed back from Wright's insurance payoff. I dig both moves, though, so kudos to Sandy for not gripping dick entirely.

3. These are also the types of moves I said they should be making, upon which you and Dierking repeatedly engaged in a sapphic scissor-grind while telling me that they would deplete an entire farm system.

4. If Sandy pulls Tulo or Upton, then you can mock me, but not until then.

5. True Detective S2 is meh and you should admit that you're hoping S3 rewards you for your misguided fanboyism.

In all seriousness, best part about the past week is that the Mets haven't used any of their bigger trade pieces yet. I still say something big happens closer to zero hour. Sellers are finally coming around which means prices are going to drop. Especially with Oakland and Cinci. And the good news is we've been talking to both a lot.

Man, I'm still holding out some hope for Cespedes. It's not gonna happen but come oooooon. Bullpen's shored up and we added some depth offensively, Cespedes makes us a legit contender.

Wheeler had a "throwing session" yesterday and says he's feeling good, fwiw.

Wheeler had a "throwing session" yesterday and says he's feeling good, fwiw.

I saw that, and logic says he's the most tradable asset. Keith Law is ripping the Mets for dealing Meisner but come on, he's a marginal 3rd to 5th starter who won't be ready until 2018 at the earliest. The Mets are good on pitching of that caliber for a long time, on both the current roster and the minors. If they make the postseason and/or resign Clippard it's a good deal for both sides.

Looking at the schedule I actually think we need to pull off whatever deal by Wednesday night at the latest. The Mets have a huge opportunity against the Nats this coming weekend. They have the big 3 going and are at home. If they can take 2 out of 3 against the Padres they can put themselves in a position to have a huge opportunity to make up for last week's debacle in DC. This is a must-win series, the Nats are only going to get healthier and catching them is only going to get harder.

3. These are also the types of moves I said they should be making, upon which you and Dierking repeatedly engaged in a sapphic scissor-grind while telling me that they would deplete an entire farm system.

I fail to remember you drawing up any scenarios as to what the Mets should or could do. AlI remember was the incessant whining. And now you call that you plan. Interesting.

Jetlife just wanted to add my thanks for all your hard work. As a Mets fan since 64/65 your info is greatly appreciate. Many a day I ask myself why wasn't I born a Yankees and Giant fan, but I guess that would ha e been too easy.

Jetlife just wanted to add my thanks for all your hard work. As a Mets fan since 64/65 your info is greatly appreciate. Many a day I ask myself why wasn't I born a Yankees and Giant fan, but I guess that would ha e been too easy.

Hey no problem! Glad I can help inform. I have the best of both worlds, I'm a Yankees fan and Jets fan. Yankee fan because my grandmother was die hard, she was a Brooklyn Dodgers fan and even dated one of the players, but when they moved to LA she could never forgive them and became a Yankee fan to get back them and her ex. She was one of a kind. And I'm a Jets fan because of my uncle and father. I get to see both ends of the spectrum. Glad I can help inform.

Interesting pickup, and he's making $3 mil the rest of the way, too. Not sure if this was the "one big move" Sandy hinted at last week, but it'd be preeeetty sweeeeet to find a real shortstop ASAP, even at the cost of Daniel Murphy.

5:35pm: New York will receive $1MM in the deal, meaning that they’ll pay Clippard just over $2MM the rest of the way, Ken Davidoff of the New York Post tweets.

The New York Mets are "going for it," if by going for it we mean acquiring fringe pieces and, at least in the deal for Tyler Clippard, now surrendering legitimate top-10 prospects. Sandy Alderson just dubbed Mets fans the "citizens of Panic City," but with this move he has just declared himself mayor.

Kieth Law killing the Mets for the deal, kind of silly me thinks. It's an "insider" article so I can't read the rest but wonder what the bashing is about. 

The New York Mets are "going for it," if by going for it we mean acquiring fringe pieces and, at least in the deal for Tyler Clippard, now surrendering legitimate top-10 prospects. Sandy Alderson just dubbed Mets fans the "citizens of Panic City," but with this move he has just declared himself mayor.

Kieth Law killing the Mets for the deal, kind of silly me thinks. It's an "insider" article so I can't read the rest but wonder what the bashing is about.

In the long run they probably overpaid. A good bat does a lot more for this team then a reliever.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

If the Mets resign Clippard, I don't think they overpaid. And in the event that they do make the playoffs, a great bullpen can be an absolute godsend. Couple that with Familia and Parnell looking awfully shaky and Mejia not being available in the postseason, when all is send and done we may be looking back at this one as the most necessary move they made.

Also, Meisner isn't even going to be ready to be evaluated for the show until 2017-18. And according to everyone his upside is that of somewhere between a 3rd to 5th starter in your rotation. Not sure why that's not worth an elite middle reliever/solid closer. but what would we be as Mets fans if we weren't complaining?

Also, Meisner isn't even going to be ready to be evaluated for the show until 2017-18. And according to everyone his upside is that of somewhere between a 3rd to 5th starter in your rotation. Not sure why that's not worth an elite middle reliever/solid closer. but what would we be as Mets fans if we weren't complaining?

Was Meisner getting rated a top-10 prospect in the system?  If what you describe is his upside I can't imagine him being a top guy....

I fail to remember you drawing up any scenarios as to what the Mets should or could do. AlI remember was the incessant whining. And now you call that you plan. Interesting.

His deal involved trading a top pitcher for Todd Frazier and prospects.  I never heard a single scenario from Shane where the Mets make a move for a couple decent veteran bats.

I wasn't born this way, my dad forced this life on me when I was too young and innocent to know any better, I learned so much from his mistakes that I turned around and did the same thing to my son…we are all going to burn in hell.

Archived