Bring Back Fireman Ed

Make me idSICK

A few things I had heard over the years that are in this article:

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/01/22/fireman-ed-sits-out-a-big-one/

1.  He was transferred from his job for abuse of sick leave.

2.  He was a Dolphins fan even in high school.

If you ask any NYFD what they thought of him most would say they couldn't stand him and had no respect for him.  That's NYFD not Jets fans.  He's a phony and a clown.  While I was unhappy with him after his West Side Stadium rants I still respected the way he got the crowed fired up.  In 2011 it became different and then he ditched us in 2012.  If he felt threatened why not go to the papers about it?  Instead he ditched us.  Begging him to come back is like a fool who has no self esteem and begs their ex girlfriend who cheated on them to come back.

I don't know about the fire department stuff so I am not going to comment on any of that.

I do know that I have asked Ed to do some charity things in private. The kind of stuff that he wouldn't get any exposure for. And all I know is that he went out of his way and was always willing to give up his own time. He never once came off as phony in the few dealings I have had with him.

• Replies 682
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Fireman Ed decides to come back once the team starts winning again, look for a chorus of boos raining down.  We're not going to forget how he added humiliation on Buttfumble night, made it about him, and abandoned us.

SAR I

We have threads thanking Woody Johnson.  Please don't tell me that Jets fans aren't willing to move past stuff lol.

We have threads thanking Woody Johnson. Please don't tell me that Jets fans aren't willing to move past stuff lol.

Further proof of this is the number of people messaging me saying, "i hated what you guys did with the Idzik campaign but I fully support this effort".

Booing a fan?! Seriously?! What is this, Philadelphia!!

Further proof of this is the number of people messaging me saying, "i hated what you guys did with the Idzik campaign but I fully support this effort".

Booing a fan?! Seriously?! What is this, Philadelphia!!

IDZIK HAD A PLAN. YOU DIDN"T GIVE HIM TIME. 

If Idzik had 4 more years, with all the roll over money, the Jets would have had 4.2 billion available against the cap.

IDZIK HAD A PLAN. YOU DIDN"T GIVE HIM TIME.

If Idzik had 4 more years, with all the roll over money, the Jets would have had 4.2 billion available against the cap.

3.1 billion if Fireman Ed comes back - gotta pay his salary, am i right?! Lol

You know what's funny... I actually am .0001% curious if Idzik wasn't fired - who would be our coach and what would he have done with the money considering they were forced to spend it.

3.1 billion if Fireman Ed comes back - gotta pay his salary, am i right?! Lol

You know what's funny... I actually am .0001% curious if Idzik wasn't fired - who would be our coach and what would he have done with the money considering they were forced to spend it.

He would have been too cute in negotiations and lost out on the top free agents. Then he would have been forced to overpay for the B Guys in a panic move.  Panic move....like bringing Percy Harvin in here last year.

I don't know about the fire department stuff so I am not going to comment on any of that.

I do know that I have asked Ed to do some charity things in private. The kind of stuff that he wouldn't get any exposure for. And all I know is that he went out of his way and was always willing to give up his own time. He never once came off as phony in the few dealings I have had with him.

I've personally witnessed him do something pretty cool right in front of me too. A guy who sits next to me had his father with him who was facing a tough battle with cancer. I watched the guy walk down a few rows to were Ed was , talk to him for a second, and Ed shake his hand. A few minutes later between quarters I see Ed come bounding up the stairs 2 at a time and stop at my row, find the guys Father, and embrace him and speak in his ear and hug him. There were no cameras there, no grandstanding for any type of attention. I am as cynical as the next guy but it seemed pretty genuine to me.

That year Ed left was a really rough one in the stadium. The Tebow/Sanchez argument was completely destroying the mood in the stadium. Never before had I seen so many Jets fans in the stadium fighting with each other. Everyone seemed to have a strong opinion about who should be playing qb, and tempers really boiled over. It was a miserable season to be in the seats not only because of the play on the field but because of the pissed off fans in the seats. I saw some real classless jerks giving Ed a hard time as I shared the same aisle with him. The mini revolt against Ed in my opinion was all about the Tebow mess.

I've personally witnessed him do something pretty cool right in front of me too. A guy who sits next to me had his father with him who was facing a tough battle with cancer. I watched the guy walk down a few rows to were Ed was , talk to him for a second, and Ed shake his hand. A few minutes later between quarters I see Ed come bounding up the stairs 2 at a time and stop at my row, find the guys Father, and embrace him and speak in his ear and hug him. There were no cameras there, no grandstanding for any type of attention. I am as cynical as the next guy but it seemed pretty genuine to me.

That year Ed left was a really rough one in the stadium. The Tebow/Sanchez argument was completely destroying the mood in the stadium. Never before had I seen so many Jets fans in the stadium fighting with each other. Everyone seemed to have a strong opinion about who should be playing qb, and tempers really boiled over. It was a miserable season to be in the seats not only because of the play on the field but because of the pissed off fans in the seats. I saw some real classless jerks giving Ed a hard time as I shared the same aisle with him. The mini revolt against Ed in my opinion was all about the Tebow mess.

I was talking to him one time and in the span of a few minutes it seemed like 10 people stopped by to take pictures and tell him how much they loved him. He was gracious to everyone.  

The only problem with this is if Ed does come back these Fire Idzik guys are going to be hard to deal with.  Idzik - check. Ed - check.

What's next? When does this internet vigilante system end? Hey bad boys, whatcha gonna do when they come for you? :)

Where Ed gets a real bad rap is when people question his "fandom". First of all...that just isn't cool in my opinion.

But since Ed stopped doing the chant he moved his seats. He is at every game. He is a die-hard fan...I have seen him at games. Screaming his head off, cheering and supporting the Jets.

I really think one time he is going to just get so excited at a game that he is going to do the chant without even realizing it. The dude still gets seriously pumped up.

I was talking to him one time and in the span of a few minutes it seemed like 10 people stopped by to take pictures and tell him how much they loved him. He was gracious to everyone.

The only problem with this is if Ed does come back these Fire Idzik guys are going to be hard to deal with. Idzik - check. Ed - check.

What's next? When does this internet vigilante system end? Hey bad boys, whatcha gonna do when they come for you? :)

We don't take - or want - any credit for Idzik getting fired. Never have. That campaign - however - created a platform and a way for Jets fans to organize and publicly voice their opinion.

This Fireman Ed petition wasn't even our idea. Somebody tweeted to us that we should try and bring Ed back. I loved the idea so i slapped together a quick 3 page website in an hour and started a petition in 5 minutes. These campaigns are driven by the fans who are supporting the message. Without the 1100 people who signed this petition already, this wouldn't be a story.

If Ed does come back, we don't care about taking any credit for that either. Our reward will be an improved game day experience.

We don't take - or want - any credit for Idzik getting fired. Never have. That campaign - however - created a platform and a way for Jets fans to organize and publicly voice their opinion.

This Fireman Ed petition wasn't even our idea. Somebody tweeted to us that we should try and bring Ed back. I loved the idea so i slapped together a quick 3 page website in an hour and started a petition in 5 minutes. These campaigns are driven by the fans who are supporting the message. Without the 1100 people who signed this petition already, this wouldn't be a story.

If Ed does come back, we don't care about taking any credit for that either. Our reward will be an improved game day experience.

I was teasing. Remember we aren't the forum that banned you haha.

Did you read that thread?! Lol... I am still trying to figure out why they banned me... And the thread is still open - if anyone stands up for me or Ed is getting harassed and the mods are doing nothing about it. Where do these people come from? I undersfand not agreeing with us - but the way they act in there is like a bunch of wild animals.

He didn't want to do it last year, he shouldn't be doing it at any point in the future either. I'm sure he's a great guy and a true Jets fan(atic) like most of us here but it's time to turn the page. We all knew sooner or later we'd get to this point where he would quit, for whatever reason. He quit, move on. There's no point in him doing this one more time or two or four more times before he quits again. We're past the strange time that makes us feel like something is missing. If he comes back now we'd go through the same crap again the following year when he quits. Just not necessary. And let's face it, he's no spring chicken, he can't do this forever. And you can't plug in a new fireman everytime one of them quits or dies or what have you. It was a tremendous thing while it lasted, probably the best chant in football. But it's time to move on. Either do it via jumbotron if you don't want to lose the Jets chant or figure out a new thing, it can't be that difficult.

I really don't know what is so hard to understand! The J E T S chant worked because it was a grass roots home grown phenomena ... Once you try to organize it or put corporate sponsorship behind something like that , it's doomed to failure.

Bringing him back WILL NOT be successful. Do I miss the amazing chant of the past ?? Absolutely ? Can we force its return ... No way in hell ...

The Chant became the football fan equivalent of post godfather Pacino ... A parody of itself.

The crowd that can afford the good seats in the new stadium are imports from Wall Street's corporate culture ... More interested in the texture of their Silian Rail Bone colored business cards than the product on the field.

I'm afraid that until the masses take over those champaign and caviar filled seats ... There will be no home field advantage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This Fireman Ed petition wasn't even our idea.

Dude, you are a GOD in the eyes of Jets fans for helping us rid the world of John Idzik and Rex Ryan.  Find me in Lot E and I'll buy you a BMW.

Don't ruin it by being associated with bringing back Fireman Ed.  You were so right last year; don't be so wrong this year.  Take the poll down.

SAR I

It was a tremendous thing while it lasted, probably the best chant in football. But it's time to move on.

drunk-jets-fan_zpstwr3ttfu.jpg

The stadium used to be full of people on the left, it's now full of people on the right. 

The chant was offered to 82,500 people from 2010-2012, they didn't enjoy it as much as helmet races, pee wee games, and frisbee dogs so its not there any more.

SAR I

The stadium used to be full of people on the left, it's now full of people on the right. 

The chant was offered to 82,500 people from 2010-2012, they didn't enjoy it as much as helmet races, pee wee games, and frisbee dogs so its not there any more.

SAR I

The guy on the left is part of the new PSL crowd he would never have gotten away with that if the old crowd was in the stadium but because they have been replaced with the guy on the right that guy exists. 

SAR I

The guy on the left is a PSL or possibly even club holder in the new stadium.  See the gray seats and the upper deck way above him.  Guy on the right appears to be in the upper deck.  Look at how high up he is.

Dude, you are a GOD in the eyes of Jets fans for helping us rid the world of John Idzik and Rex Ryan.  Find me in Lot E and I'll buy you a BMW.

Don't ruin it by being associated with bringing back Fireman Ed.  You were so right last year; don't be so wrong this year.  Take the poll down.

SAR I

haha.. we aren't always going to be on the same side of the argument and I don't need a BMW - but I would definitely come over to Lot E and drink a beer with you. 

The guy on the left is a PSL or possibly even club holder in the new stadium.  See the gray seats and the upper deck way above him.  Guy on the right appears to be in the upper deck.  Look at how high up he is.

the guy on the right was photoshopped in there.. that isn't even a real picture but Sar is correct - plenty of die hards have been replaced by the sushi and wine crowd.

(and I love sushi and wine - just not at a football game)

SAR I

The guy on the right sold me cheap suits at men's warehouse. I think it was buy one, get one half off. The sale ended that day, if I recall correctly

I will keep this short. We started a petition to bring back Fireman Ed. I know some people love him and some people hate him.. Just throwing it out there that the petition exists incase anybody wants to sign it. We are already coming up on 600 signatures in the first day. 

https://www.change.org/p/fireman-ed-come-back-2

You can also read about it here. 

http://www.metro.us/sports/bringbacked-com-pushing-for-fireman-ed-return/zsJocl---sKbALRCKcDfY/

I - for one - am sick of how stagnant the crowd is and the absurd ways that Neil Glat tried to replace Ed with his dopey marching band and stupid fan contests.. putting any personal feelings about Ed aside, I am sure that nobody can argue that he is the only person who has proven that can get the chant going - and since he has been gone, the game day atmosphere has suffered because of it. 

I agree I miss him as well. Problem is the team didn't get rid of him, he left due to the fans. He wore an Sanchez jersey and was getting cursed at etc.. While he was with his kids. That is the reason he left, so the only way to get him back is if he feels like it. Meanwhile I do feel that if he sees petition he will think about it but honestly I don't see him coming back. Even though he still goes to all home games and sits in his normal seat at the end zone.

If it was because of the fans acting like asses, then put a Petition together stating that during the preparation of the kickoff they will chant "We want Ed back" and when the kickoff starts do the "Jets" chant.

Doing a petiton to have him come back is nice. Having the guy sit in his seat and witness 70,000 fans chant for his return will Trigger emotions that will be impossible to avoid.

We aren't reaching out to the Jets... We are reaching out to Ed. He turned down the team when they asked him to come back last year... We are hoping he won't turn down the fans.

I also hope this time around, it goes back to being the way it was in the 80s and 90s when he wasn't a character... He was just a fan who led the cheer... So no speaking engagements or team sponsored events... No autograph sessions.. Just coming back for the right reasons and not going out the way things ended.

Whats the Problem with him Doing speaking Engagements or sponsored Events? Why are People so overly concerned about what he does outside of the Jets chant? This is exactly why the guy doesnt want to come back. Whatever he does outside of the chant, big deal. Whats the issue, really? Seems like jealousy from other fans.

I love Ed. He still goes to all the games and he should come back. The Jets did the one fan a game thing last year for the chant and I am told it will be the same thing this year.

Time for Ed to take the chant back.

I am going to reach out to him and tell him he needs to come back. My vote means nothing but still, it is worth a shot.   :)

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that he will come back now.

I do think its pretty sad that Jets fans think they need a cheerleader though. the acoustics in the new stadium blows, and there hasn't been much to cheer about since what, 2010?

If they bring back a competitive team on the field I think the fans will get as loud as you possibly can in that garbage stadium with Fireman Ed on board or not.

haha.. we aren't always going to be on the same side of the argument and I don't need a BMW - but I would definitely come over to Lot E and drink a beer with you. 

Fair enough.  We owe you a lot more than a beer, so I'll be buying.  Maybe I'll rent one of those tailgate setups and host a fete in your honor.

SAR I

Show me what percentage of voters are paying season ticket holders vs. stay-home-on-TV types who complain about everything.

The chant doesn't work in MetLife because there aren't enough drunks in the good seats to support it anymore.

SAR I

Wow, you really hijacked their effort.  You said your piece.  Multiple times.  Now move on and let them pursue what they feel is right.  If they want to promote a petition, then fine.  Just like the billboard people. If someone doesn't like it?  Fine too.  Express it and move on.  You really don't need to repeat it 50 times. It's annoying as hell when you want to follow the rest of the thread.  That was one of the the things that really fk'd up JI for a while.  It's nice not to have it here. I hope it stays that way.  My 2 cents. 

Whats the Problem with him Doing speaking Engagements or sponsored Events? Why are People so overly concerned about what he does outside of the Jets chant? This is exactly why the guy doesnt want to come back. Whatever he does outside of the chant, big deal. Whats the issue, really? Seems like jealousy from other fans.

For the 100th time, it's not jealousy.  No one dreams of being a 60 year old who flaps his arms and does the alphabet in public when they go to bed at night.

The word you are searching for is "disingenuous".  It is perfectly fine for an average fan to do something goofy and have everyone else follow his lead as long as his heart is in the Jets and not himself.  Ed got perks from the Jets, he is a Dolphins fan, he called radio stations, he created his own app, he tried to monetize something that he didn't earn.

Ed represented Mr. Blue Collar Jets Fan and those types aren't in the new stadium, once the Jets instituted PSL's and asked for a few dollars they bolted for their flatscreens and their basements.  Ed could sense the shift, the cheer wasn't important to most, and despite his efforts and the Jets efforts to force it down our throats it fizzled out.  Ed's hissy fit on national TV was contrived, was another "look at me" moment, and he did it at the expense of Jets fans during the worst defeat in team history.  "Look Al, even the mascot is walking out on the Jets!" said Chris Collinsworth as we vomited our Thanksgiving turkey in our mouth.

Fireman Ed and the chant is a charming throwback to our Giants Stadium past.  It's over.  It's not jealousy.  It's just over.

SAR I

For the 100th time, it's not jealousy.  No one dreams of being a 60 year old who flaps his arms and does the alphabet in public when they go to bed at night.

The word you are searching for is "disingenuous".  It is perfectly fine for an average fan to do something goofy and have everyone else follow his lead as long as his heart is in the Jets and not himself.  Ed got perks from the Jets, he is a Dolphins fan, he called radio stations, he created his own app, he tried to monetize something that he didn't earn.

Ed represented Mr. Blue Collar Jets Fan and those types aren't in the new stadium, once the Jets instituted PSL's and asked for a few dollars they bolted for their flatscreens and their basements.  Ed could sense the shift, the cheer wasn't important to most, and despite his efforts and the Jets efforts to force it down our throats it fizzled out.  Ed's hissy fit on national TV was contrived, was another "look at me" moment, and he did it at the expense of Jets fans during the worst defeat in team history.  "Look Al, even the mascot is walking out on the Jets!" said Chris Collinsworth as we vomited our Thanksgiving turkey in our mouth.

Fireman Ed and the chant is a charming throwback to our Giants Stadium past.  It's over.  It's not jealousy.  It's just over.

SAR I

No one dreams of being a Proctologist either give the guy a break SAR I 

Hate to say it but the new fans are boring reminds me of a Giants game where they read books and squat on their thermoses eating a stale reuben sandwich wrapped in tin foil 

The J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS chant was part of the Jets old stadium or new you dont like it you dont participate but the stadium is very boring without it and the futile attempt to bring it back was an embarrassment. 

Bring back Fireman Ed if you want the J-E-T-S chant back there is no substitute. 

When he says "buy you a BMW" what he actually means is "a bud light with ruffies in it". He's only got one BMW, it'll be the one with the duct tape, burlap sack and shovel in the trunk.

Maybe we should make a new chant. Something pathetically unoriginal and an obvious corny play on the old one. Like an NJ police officer doing something like "N Y JETS JETS YEAH YEAH YEAH!"

He'll feel so awkward on our collective behalves he'll have no choice but to come out of retirement.

talked to him on the phone today for over an hour.. he is definitely open to the idea of coming back but some details need to be ironed out… I just wanted to thank everybody here for their support of the petition.

Sar - I will definitely come drink some beers and eat your steaks.. just don't tell anyone because I don't want anyone to call me a sellout for getting "perks"… lol

Archived