Bring Back Fireman Ed

Make me idSICK

talked to him on the phone today for over an hour.. he is definitely open to the idea of coming back but some details need to be ironed out… I just wanted to thank everybody here for their support of the petition.

Sar - I will definitely come drink some beers and eat your steaks.. just don't tell anyone because I don't want anyone to call me a sellout for getting "perks"… lol

you guys are always welcome at L7 as well

• Replies 682
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the 100th time, it's not jealousy.  No one dreams of being a 60 year old who flaps his arms and does the alphabet in public when they go to bed at night.

The word you are searching for is "disingenuous".  It is perfectly fine for an average fan to do something goofy and have everyone else follow his lead as long as his heart is in the Jets and not himself.  Ed got perks from the Jets, he is a Dolphins fan, he called radio stations, he created his own app, he tried to monetize something that he didn't earn.

Ed represented Mr. Blue Collar Jets Fan and those types aren't in the new stadium, once the Jets instituted PSL's and asked for a few dollars they bolted for their flatscreens and their basements.  Ed could sense the shift, the cheer wasn't important to most, and despite his efforts and the Jets efforts to force it down our throats it fizzled out.  Ed's hissy fit on national TV was contrived, was another "look at me" moment, and he did it at the expense of Jets fans during the worst defeat in team history.  "Look Al, even the mascot is walking out on the Jets!" said Chris Collinsworth as we vomited our Thanksgiving turkey in our mouth.

Fireman Ed and the chant is a charming throwback to our Giants Stadium past.  It's over.  It's not jealousy.  It's just over.

SAR I

"For the 100th time"? When have I ever had this conversation with you? Please, show me a link. Better yet, when have I ever had this conversation with anyone? And you've had to address this 99 prior times? Well, if you're not jealous of him being a 60 year old flapping his arms and yelling the alphabet it sure seems like it because for a guy that you make sound like some nobody you surely know alot of things that he's done or has received from the Jets that you feel he wasnt "worthy" of having. And you're more than willing to complain about it and say its not "jealousy" over 99 times lol.

He tried to monetize something he didnt earn? The whole f'ing planet has been monetized based on sh*t people didnt earn, I mean really dude, who cares? This 60 year old moron who yells the alphabet was smart enough to make an app too? Would you like to hear something crazy? All this stuff that you've told me just now about Firemen Ed I never knew? You know why? Because outside of the Jets chant I could care less about what this guy does. 

talked to him on the phone today for over an hour.. he is definitely open to the idea of coming back but some details need to be ironed out… I just wanted to thank everybody here for their support of the petition.

Sar - I will definitely come drink some beers and eat your steaks.. just don't tell anyone because I don't want anyone to call me a sellout for getting "perks"… lol

Understand two things:

1. The majority of Jets fans do not want Fireman Ed back and you are going down the wrong path personally and professionally.

2. The "boos" will rain down and/or the apathy will send Ed packing again.

It amazes me how you could be so correct and so helpful with the Idzik situation and how wrong and unhelpful you are being in the Firefraud situation. The Jets make a few moves to become competitive again and Ed wants to crawl back out and get attention again. Shocker.

You will find that the 24 hours of newspaper articles and publicity weren't worth it. You're on the wrong side this time.

SAR I

Understand two things:

1. The majority of Jets fans do not want Fireman Ed back and you are going down the wrong path personally and professionally.

It amazes me how you could be so correct and so helpful with the Idzik situation and how wrong and unhelpful you are being in the Firefraud situation. The Jets make a few moves to become competitive again and Ed wants to crawl back out and get attention again. Shocker.

You will find that the 24 hours of newspaper articles and publicity weren't worth it. You're on the wrong side this time.

SAR I

As has been said a few times already, your opinion doesn't speak for all Jets fans, or Jets fans at every game. I would welcome Ed leading the stadium, and would be happy to share a burger and some Jets talk in the lot before the game. Whether or not he chooses to officially return, he is welcome to hang with the TailgateJoe fan club crew in the lot.

Understand two things:

SAR I

Dude I have a picture of you encouraging young women to pull their tops up in the Gate D spiral from back in 2007. :) do you want me to post them as proof that youre the same kind of ''old school Jets fan'' that everybody else is?

I wont embarrass you asd long as you stop this dumb ass charade :)

As has been said a few times already, your opinion doesn't speak for all Jets fans, or Jets fans at every game. I would welcome Ed leading the stadium, and would be happy to share a burger and some Jets talk in the lot before the game. Whether or not he chooses to officially return, he is welcome to hang with the TailgateJoe fan club crew in the lot.

Now the "Make Money On The Backs Of Jets Fans" contingent has hit the trifecta:

Fireman Ed

Fire Idzik guys

Tailgate Joe

Who's next? Some startup making Todd Bowles ice cube trays? The Jets are newsworthy and it's time to make money. I wish you folks would just buy banner ads to generate revenue like everyone else.

SAR I

Dude I have a picture of you encouraging young women to pull their tops up in the Gate D spiral from back in 2007. :) do you want me to post them as proof that youre the same kind of ''old school Jets fan'' that everybody else is?

Naked girls are cool. If some hot babe wanted to lead a chant I'd be all for it. I think I speak for all 82,500 on that one.

Ed quit on the Jets and their fans at our lowest moment. Now he wants to crawl back the moment the team looks decent again? Tell me you aren't falling for this too.

SAR I

PLEASE post those pics up and this guy has the nerve to talk about blue collar fans when he's a corporate slob who pays for sex

PLEASE post those pics up and this guy has the nerve to talk about blue collar fans when he's a corporate slob who pays for sex

Nah I won't. because even though his online persona is that of being a dick SAR is an alright guy and I have nothing against him. he made his point and I'm done. and btw a lot of us had fun at the gate d spiral (joebaby too). you can blame your dick hero woody for ruining that ;)

Naked girls are cool. If some hot babe wanted to lead a chant I'd be all for it. I think I speak for all 82,500 on that one.

Ed quit on the Jets and their fans at our lowest moment. Now he wants to crawl back the moment the team looks decent again? Tell me you aren't falling for this too.

SAR I

LOL good answer!

Ed is an unwelcome relic from the past.

He quit on the Jets because the fans quit on him first. The new stadium population doesn't need an old man in a helmet to tell us when to cheer. The Jets tried everything to push him on us. Stadium screen clips. Nope. Pregame events. Nope. Organized on-field pregame cheers. Nope. TV appearances. Nope. Signings. Nope. Lots of attempts, lots of fail.

We don't want him. It's proven. Some need to get the memo.

SAR I

we don't need you... go away. please... go.

Fireman Ed

Fire Idzik guys

Tailgate Joe

Who's next? Some startup making Todd Bowles ice cube trays? The Jets are newsworthy and it's time to make money. I wish you folks would just buy banner ads to generate revenue like everyone else.

SAR I

Clueless, classless.

RIGHT!

I was there. I attended every home game in the 2010 and 2011 seasons and despite our on-field success and the popularity of the team Ed's cheers were watered-down versions of what they used to be. People simply didn't want to do it anymore. It became boring to older fans and a curious distraction to younger fans.

Another reason why? The MetLife PA system is a loud mess. Commercials, public service announcements, loud metal music, helmet races, military recognition, tee boys, from the minute the game starts to the second it ends your ears are bombarded with noise and marketing. In fact, the only time you get a chance to hear yourself think or speak to a guy sitting next to you is during plays and that's when Ed is trying to squeeze his chant in. It's not happening.

You have to let this Fireman Ed thing go. The fans don't want him. It's great that you do, but paying customers in the seating bowl don't want his schtick any more. That's a fact. That's proven. I'll find the YouTube video of the big Fireman Ed event that took place 5 minutes before kickoff where he and 1000 fans were on the field spelling out "JETS" and leading the world's biggest Jets chant. No one cared. No one cheered. Ed was begging for participation.

We don't want him. It's simple as that.

SAR I

He quit on us. Why would any fans degrade themselves by beging this guy to come back?

The crowd has been stagnant becuase the team has sucked. If they play well people will show up and make noise.

clueless

I speak for the 82,500 fans in MetLife Stadium who were given a ton of opportunities to embrace Fireman Ed and chose not to. We saw this first hand for three years. The crowd wasn't responding to him anymore. He used the Thanksgiving game on national TV to make a scene to embarrass the fans the way they embarrassed him, and that's unforgivable to most Jets fans. It's for the best that he's done.

SAR I

you ONLY speak for your own warped self

He didn't want to do it last year, he shouldn't be doing it at any point in the future either. I'm sure he's a great guy and a true Jets fan(atic) like most of us here but it's time to turn the page. We all knew sooner or later we'd get to this point where he would quit, for whatever reason. He quit, move on. There's no point in him doing this one more time or two or four more times before he quits again. We're past the strange time that makes us feel like something is missing. If he comes back now we'd go through the same crap again the following year when he quits. Just not necessary. And let's face it, he's no spring chicken, he can't do this forever. And you can't plug in a new fireman everytime one of them quits or dies or what have you. It was a tremendous thing while it lasted, probably the best chant in football. But it's time to move on. Either do it via jumbotron if you don't want to lose the Jets chant or figure out a new thing, it can't be that difficult.

BRING HIM BACK!!!!

Dude, you are a GOD in the eyes of Jets fans for helping us rid the world of John Idzik and Rex Ryan.  Find me in Lot E and I'll buy you a BMW.

Don't ruin it by being associated with bringing back Fireman Ed.  You were so right last year; don't be so wrong this year.  Take the poll down.

SAR I

LOL BRIERY... True colors...

Understand two things:

SAR I

Majority!?!? how do you "know" this??? Why do you hate Ed??? what happened? Did he take attention away from you??? awww  poor guy... You'll feel better when you sign the petition... go ahead... You know you want to... :-)

A few things I had heard over the years that are in this article:

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/01/22/fireman-ed-sits-out-a-big-one/

1. He was transferred from his job for abuse of sick leave.

2. He was a Dolphins fan even in high school.

If you ask any NYFD what they thought of him most would say they couldn't stand him and had no respect for him. That's NYFD not Jets fans. He's a phony and a clown. While I was unhappy with him after his West Side Stadium rants I still respected the way he got the crowed fired up. In 2011 it became different and then he ditched us in 2012. If he felt threatened why not go to the papers about it? Instead he ditched us. Begging him to come back is like a fool who has no self esteem and begs their ex girlfriend who cheated on them to come back.

This isn't true, I know several FDNY retired and active that would say differently.

I agree I miss him as well. Problem is the team didn't get rid of him, he left due to the fans. He wore an Sanchez jersey and was getting cursed at etc.. While he was with his kids. That is the reason he left, so the only way to get him back is if he feels like it. Meanwhile I do feel that if he sees petition he will think about it but honestly I don't see him coming back. Even though he still goes to all home games and sits in his normal seat at the end zone.

Extreme lack of awareness on his part to be wearing a Sanchez jersey at a time when the hate was an all time high. It would be like wearing an Idzik Jersey last year and not expecting to get harassed.

I hope the Jets don't bring him back. The Jets drum line doing the Jets chant is better. The Jets need to distance themselves from busch league amateur hour material such as Fireman Ed was with leading the Jets chant.

You don't want the Ed back because it's "Busch league amateur hour material" but you're okay with a drumline? Are you ok with the team shooting shirts into the crowds getting during the breaks or people throwing footballs into garbage cans on commercials, or are they okay? I ask because I feel we have very different definitions of "Busch league amateur hour material"

He should be able to wear any player jersey he chooses to but he is kind of the face of the Jets fans and with that comes some responsibilty. You will never be able to make all of us happy but as the face of the fans I would not have worn a sanchez jersey. I would put on a Namath jersey until our next super bowl winning QB's jersey becomes available.

I don't care whether he comes back or not. The only cheers for the Jets I care about are my own. 

I do however LOVE watching the rationalization of jealousy and envy as it plays out amongst other fans. 

Fireman Ed

Fire Idzik guys

Tailgate Joe

SAR I

barking up the wrong tree calling out tailgate joe........never screw with the guy that feeds the mods.

I speak for the 82,500 fans in MetLife Stadium ......

SAR I

No.  You don't.  You don't speak for anyone but yourself on this or any other issue.  

I've been a season ticket holder since Shea stadium, where the chant was spontaneous, loud and there was no Ed. It was the same in the mid 80's at Giants stadium, with no Ed.  The chant would be roused up in the upper deck of the East endzone and the two endzones would engage in dueling Jets-Jets-Jets chants.  It was fun.  And the East End Zone was always louder.  Ed evolved in the 90's and, sadly, the crowd became conditioned to wait for Ed.   I never minded Ed and thought he was sincere.  When my 25 year old son was 8, he was very nice to him and me when we met him.  If he wants to resume his cheer, then great.  If he doesn't, I'm fine with that too.  It's his life.

The reason why the chant has died down is that the Jets only score field goals and are trailing so much of the time that there is no excitement.  Had the team been outstanding, the chant would have been strong the past few years.

The other reason why the chant has died down is that Ed now sits in the freaking endzone.  He used to be on the 20 where everyone could see him without using the jumbotron.  Basically, ever since the new stadium went up, he was chanting from the bowels of an end zone corner, the suckiest place in the stadium where nobody ever pays attention.  Feels a lot different looking at the screen led chant versus a direct eye view.  

If the Jets really want him back, then they should move him from those crappy end zone PSLs and move him (at no charge) to section 134, 135, 142 or 143, where almost anyone can directly see him.

wow, SAR is a real person??  does his 318ti have the season ticket license plate frame on it?

Fireman Ed

Fire Idzik guys

Tailgate Joe

SAR I

How ******* transparent.

The fake rich guy who tries so, so hard to flaunt his imaginary wealth seems to be the one with the biggest issues around other people making money. You know who complains about people that have figured out how to turn a profit while doing something they love? Working class schlubs who blame their life outcomes on everyone but themselves.

SAR, in order for your schtick to be even semi-believable, you need to understand at an instinctive level that people with real money would be advocates of capitalism, not jealously whining about it.

Archived