Gruden's QB Camp

Dupe

I'm catching this tonight because we need a QB upgrade. Of course it may not come this year. I really enjoyed seeing what these guys are like. I'm probably wrong but I get the feeling I could get a sense for how bight/shap these guys might be by watching interactions. I'm really impressed by Brett Hundley and now like him a lot. I bet he could be a good qb and leader in time. Marcus is a really nice guy but there is something about his demeaner that makes me feel like he is not a qb I want.

After watching all 3 QB's tonight, I liked Hundley the most. He also appeared to have the most confidence of the three.

Agreed 100%.  I came away by far the most impressed (based on the show) with Hundley.  

It wasnt very flattering for Mariota.  He's just not a guy I can see commanding an NFL lockerroom.  He's too passive.  Too timid.  And when they broke down the way he handles the Football...wow, that's scary.  I honestly had no clue he was so terrible at taking care of the Football. 

Didnt really change my opinion much on Bryce Petty in that he's just not someone I'm taking in the first 2 rounds. 

Thank you for replying and not being turned off by my typeos. We as fans don't get to go to workouts and meet guys so these goofy interviews are one of the few ways to form an opinion. We take the crumbs where we can get em. Yea it's preposterous to judge a guy off of something like this but I'm a fan not a GM or co-player so its fun to help me decide who to follow a little more. I'd be pleased if we took Brett in the 2nd or better yet 3rd round.

For what it's worth, Geno was impressive on that show.

Good point.

I want no part of Hundley at all.

I think we are likely to choose a QB somewhere in the draft. Who would you pick and where do you feel it would be decent value to pick him?

I have come around to like Garrett Grayson, but I think our 2nd may be too early and the 3rd would be too late. Barring any trades, If the Jets really want him they would have to pick him at 2.

And BTW, I didn't care for Mariota either and I didn't like his attitude when Gruden put him on the spot regarding protecting the football. I got the impression he laughed it off and didn't take it too seriously.

For what it's worth, Geno was impressive on that show.

Creative editing.

Good point.

I think we are likely to choose a QB somewhere in the draft. Who would you pick and where do you feel it would be decent value to pick him?

I have come around to like Garrett Grayson, but I think our 2nd may be too early and the 3rd would be too late. Barring any trades, If the Jets really want him they would have to pick him at 2.

Grayson in the 2nd?  Seems a bit early to me.  From what I have read he isn't particular big, doesn't have such a strong arm and has a "unique" release.  I don't really want that in the 2nd.  

Agreed 100%.  I came away by far the most impressed (based on the show) with Hundley.  

It wasnt very flattering for Mariota.  He's just not a guy I can see commanding an NFL lockerroom.  He's too passive.  Too timid.  And when they broke down the way he handles the Football...wow, that's scary.  I honestly had no clue he was so terrible at taking care of the Football. 

Didnt really change my opinion much on Bryce Petty in that he's just not someone I'm taking in the first 2 rounds. 

Mariotta already looks homesick.

Eh, I wouldn't read too much into the show, it's basically a PR piece by the players and Gruden.  He gives out plays that may seem complicated to us, but for QBs that have been running plays since 6th grade, it's easy to come off as smart.  Then he takes select plays that they do good in, and some they do bad in, and just go dissect it a bit to give a feel of scouting, when the same can be done for a huge number of guys.  I remember the Geno Smith one, where he went and talked about a tap pass to Tavon and how it shouldn't count for 5 mins.  Last year, Manziel looked great as well, I believe Gruden loved him in his camp.   It's the same thing as Sports Science, they nitpick something the prospect does extremely well and highlight it, and then make it out like they are as good as some stud guys from the past.   

After the first two QBs, forget about the position, move on, and hope Geno/Fitz can carry this year and try again.  There is no need to waste limited picks on someone who is all but guaranteed to not be any good this year, when we can wait a year and try to find others with more upside.  

I really don't care if we draft a Qb until the 4th round or later.  I agree with what they said on path to the draft last night.  Only the top two QB's are long term starter caliber.

I do.  Mannion is far and away a better pro prospect than Matt Simms. What good does it do anyone to have a QB on the roster that has no chance at being anything.

I do.  Mannion is far and away a better pro prospect than Matt Simms. What good does it do anyone to have a QB on the roster that has no chance at being anything.

Mannion is better than Simms, does not make him a viable starter prospect.  If The Jets view a guy as a real option to someday be a starter then go for it.  Backups are a dime a dozen.

I'm catching this tonight because we need a QB upgrade. Of course it may not come this year. I really enjoyed seeing what these guys are like. I'm probably wrong but I get the feeling I could get a sense for how bight/shap these guys might be by watching interactions. I'm really impressed by Brett Hundley and now like him a lot. I bet he could be a good qb and leader in time. Marcus is a really nice guy but there is something about his demeaner that makes me feel like he is not a qb I want.

Welcome to the board.

Agree with everything you said. I hate a quiet, understated QB like MM. Bridgewater did wonders for QB's in this years draft. A bad pro day and no personality... No problem, Bridewater did OK. LOL

I was a real anti-Winston guy, but the more I watched his natural instincts and talent combined with all of his interviews, I think he may be worth a roll of the dice. It's risky, but he's a rare guy.

Thanks OuttaSight! I'm a long time Jets Insider convert. It seems many of my "friends" are here. I got hooked in the days of Joe Willie and Marty Glickman. Some highs and lows over the years but I've never been "suffering". If you're a moderator or admin thanks for the site.

Geno's a better prospect than these guys by far. He just had the terrible misfortune of having Rex the blowhard to develop under.

There just isn't anyone good in this draft class outside of Winston. Brandon Bridge in the 7th rd I would take on as a project he's a hand thrower and that's what is successful in the nfl not these system qb's who get to check it to the first read every. That doesn't just describe mariota it describes petty and hundley too.

As far as Gruden's interview I remember people being impressed with Brandon Weeden a few years ago. How'd he work out?

Could end up being the Tim Duncan of football though. 

Geno's a better prospect than these guys by far. He just had the terrible misfortune of having Rex the blowhard to develop under.

Yeah if we don't get Mariota or Winston (or Mac doesn't believe in them) there's no point in wasting our 2nd on a guy that isn't better than Geno when you can draft an impact player at another position with that pick.

We need another QB but if we can't get a top prospect this year we can always trade up for one next year. No point in reaching for a guy in the 2nd when you can take an impact player at a deep position like RB for instance.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Archived