Todd Bowles is a man of his word

AFJF

What's not to like about Bowles?  He told Williams that if he was there when the Jets were on the clock, he was going to take him and he did.

Can't knock 'em really...I don't think anybody saw this coming.

A few of us called thus and presented the question. Pick, Pass, Trade down. Fact it went down to the wire implies the Jets were fielding calls, but picked BPA and Media consensus #1 Football Player & immediate Clean impactful Talent.

NO ONE can knock the pick if they have 1/2 a brain, it's just raises more questions than answers and that's a bit frustrating.

A few of us called thus and presented the question. Pick, Pass, Trade down. Fact it went down to the wire implies the Jets were fielding calls, but picked BPA and Media consensus #1 Football Player & immediate Clean impactful Talent.

NO ONE can knock the pick if they have 1/2 a brain, it's just raises more questions than answers and that's a bit frustrating.

Yeah, I think Mac said there were trade offers but none worth making.

Macc alluded to the Pittsburgh pipeline of young OLB talent in his presser.  I see this draft pick as being of the same mindset; keep reinforcing an area of strength so that the young guns can take over when the contracts get too ripe.  The only difference here, of course, is that we are beefing up the DL.  I'm cool w it. 

Macc alluded to the Pittsburgh pipeline of young OLB talent in his presser.  I see this draft pick as being of the same mindset; keep reinforcing an area of strength so that the young guns can take over when the contracts get too ripe.  The only difference here, of course, is that we are beefing up the DL.  I'm cool w it.

2007 NY Giants

What's not to like about Bowles? He told Williams that if he was there when the Jets were on the clock, he was going to take him and he did.

So he told the best player in the draft that if he's available at 6, he'll pick him. How is that "man of his words"? It's more like, "I'll be a fool to pass up on you at 6th".

We will be seeing lots of 4-3.  

Wilk, Richardson, Williams, Coples where he should be

Now thats one nasty DL. With Snacks to rotate in.  

More like Williams Harrison Richardson Wilkerson in the 4-3 sets Coples lost a lot of weight and I do not think he will be effective going straight up with a LT . Rex ruined him and Im not sure what Bowles plans moving forward will be.

That is the other side of this.  Not necessarily a trade of Mo, but they could let him walk when his time comes and save a ton.

Yeah, we said the same to Kevin White. And pretty much all the other top 5-10 picks. You don't meet with guys and then tell them you're not gonna draft them, stop buying into everything you hear predraft from players and coaches. Nobody tips their hand, they're all bullsh*tting.

Yeah, we said the same to Kevin White. And pretty much all the other top 5-10 picks. You don't meet with guys and then tell them you're not gonna draft them, stop buying into everything you hear predraft from players and coaches. Nobody tips their hand, they're all bullsh*tting.

Not according to White.

So, when Rex plays Richardson, Harrison and Wilkerson he is putting a square peg in a round hole, when Bowles goes Williams, Richardson, Wilkerson and Coples, it is a "4-3 front"?  I've got news for you, it's the same ******* thing.  Coples said he was going to be coming forward this year, but it was because of all the secondary they signed, not the coaching change.  It will work much better because they will be able to cover.

What's not to like about Bowles?  He told Williams that if he was there when the Jets were on the clock, he was going to take him and he did.

I see what you did here

Can't knock 'em really...I don't think anybody saw this coming.

I have been all in for Gurley for the past 4 months but when Williams fell to us I was jumping up and down for joy, if I had to choose any other player in the draft it would have been Williams but I never really gave it any thought because I thought the idea of him falling our of the top 5 was absurd, Redskins gave us an early xmas gift and I am estatic that we took it with a smile on our faces.

I see what you did here

I like the pick but it was just hilarious.  Literally several years of hearing about how stupid the old regime was for taking D-linemen in rd. 1 every season, and how they showed their incompetence in telling a player they were going to take that they were going to take him and with the sixth overall pick...the new regime comes in and does the same exact thing.  If you didn't spend the past 2-3 years crying about D-linemen, how is it not funny?

Like I said though, Bowles is honest and Mac seems pretty up front too.  I really do like that and I do like the pick.

I have been all in for Gurley for the past 4 months but when Williams fell to us I was jumping up and down for joy, if I had to choose any other player in the draft it would have been Williams but I never really gave it any thought because I thought the idea of him falling our of the top 5 was absurd, Redskins gave us an early xmas gift and I am estatic that we took it with a smile on our faces.

It hadn't crossed my mind at all to be honest.  Everything I read said there was zero chance of him being there at six.  When the 'Skins took Scherff, I was shocked and thought it might happen.  Thought they'd trade back and it sounds like they fielded offers but obviously nothing they liked enough to do.

It hadn't crossed my mind at all to be honest.  Everything I read said there was zero chance of him being there at six.  When the 'Skins took Scherff, I was shocked and thought it might happen.  Thought they'd trade back and it sounds like they fielded offers but obviously nothing they liked enough to do.

Yea I was literally jumping up and down when he fell to us, they obviously entertained calls as they waited to the last second to put the pick in, I actually at one point thought Chicago was going to jump us and take him but I am really estatic with how things panned out and I think if we keep wilk and get our hands on a decent pass rusher we could have the best defense the nfl has ever seen. if we get competent play (just average without a ton of turnovers) from whoever our qb is this season I actually believe we can be a superbowl contender.

I like the pick but it was just hilarious.  Literally several years of hearing about how stupid the old regime was for taking D-linemen in rd. 1 every season, and how they showed their incompetence in telling a player they were going to take that they were going to take him and with the sixth overall pick...the new regime comes in and does the same exact thing.  If you didn't spend the past 2-3 years crying about D-linemen, how is it not funny?

Like I said though, Bowles is honest and Mac seems pretty up front too.  I really do like that and I do like the pick.

Do you stalk old girlfriends on Facebook too, and ride by their house?

Yea I was literally jumping up and down when he fell to us, they obviously entertained calls as they waited to the last second to put the pick in, I actually at one point thought Chicago was going to jump us and take him but I am really estatic with how things panned out and I think if we keep wilk and get our hands on a decent pass rusher we could have the best defense the nfl has ever seen. if we get competent play (just average without a ton of turnovers) from whoever our qb is this season I actually believe we can be a superbowl contender.

It's all just on paper right now so we don't know how it'll pan out...but we do know that if the guys they brought in play to their potential, this should be one of the top defenses in the NFL.  Not sure he'll be there at no. 5 in rd 2, but if they were to add Gregory off the edge? 

I really like what these guys are doing.  

He was told that if he was "the best player on the Jets' board", they would take him.  He was not told that "if he was there", they would take him

Huge difference.  Totally different meaning from what you are inaccuratley posting.  You and the others who keep making this inaccurate claim really need to stop distorting the report.  

He was told that if he was "the best player on the Jets' board", they would take him.  He was not told that "if he was there", they would take him

Huge difference.  Totally different meaning from what you are inaccuratley posting.  You and the others who keep making this inaccurate claim really need to stop distorting the report.  

Dcat...I think you're talking about Kevin White.. the Jets did not draft Kevin White who was drafted by the Chicago Bears after playing his college football at West Virginia.

I was talking about Leonard Williams who is a defensive lineman who was chosen by the Jets with the sixth  overall pick.  At no point did I mention White's comments in my post so I would appreciate it if you wouldn't say I'm inaccurately posting, making an inaccurate claim or distoring a report.

Leonard Willaims' exact quote was "Talking to the head coach, he was telling me, he was like  remember I told you if you dropped to the Jets, I was going to get  you and he stayed to his word, so I appreciate it".

His exact words

Dcat...I think you're talking about Kevin White.. the Jets did not draft Kevin White who was drafted by the Chicago Bears after playing his college football at West Virginia.

I was talking about Leonard Williams who is a defensive lineman who was chosen by the Jets with the sixth  overall pick.  At no point did I mention White's comments in my post so I would appreciate it if you wouldn't say I'm inaccurately posting, making an inaccurate claim or distoring a report.

Leonard Willaims' exact quote was "Talking to the head coach, he was telling me, he was like  remember I told you if you dropped to the Jets, I was going to get  you and he stayed to his word, so I appreciate it".

His exact words

my mistake.  I should be more accurate.  Sorry.  I was responding to what I thought was about White.  I don't believe it anyway.  I'll bet the same language was used for every meeting: "If you are the best player on our board when our pick comes up, then we will take you".  Considering how many people here have misinterpreted that in the White scenario, then I can imagine players (like Williams) misinterpreted it as well.   Mac spent 10 minutes fielding trade offers.  So if he was going to do a "Rex" and blindly follow his alleged promise, then he would have run to the podium.  

So, when Rex plays Richardson, Harrison and Wilkerson he is putting a square peg in a round hole, when Bowles goes Williams, Richardson, Wilkerson and Coples, it is a "4-3 front"?  I've got news for you, it's the same ******* thing.  Coples said he was going to be coming forward this year, but it was because of all the secondary they signed, not the coaching change.  It will work much better because they will be able to cover.

The more things change, the more they stay the same?

Archived