"More Probable Than Not"

AFJF

This is great if for no other reason than I saw obnoxious gasbag Peter King on TV this morning saying Brady shouldn't be suspended because they don't have definitive proof.

His other, insanely nonsensical argument for no suspension was that it would tarnish Brady's legacy to have the league suspend him for cheating. Two points on that one: 1. The commissioner should in no way consider anyone's legacy when determining punishment. 2. Tom Brady tarnished his own legacy by cheating. 

Brady tarnished his own legacy by lieing about it. Especially the ridiculous claim he could not tell the difference.  Trying to get an edge most people would forgive, being an ahole about it tarnishes you to no end. See Barry Bonds.

I actually heard a great point on sports radio this morning.  Not out of the question to think Goodell essentially added the release of the report to his own personal league calendar.  No need to release it before the draft because the draft itself was already keeping the NFL in the news.  Then after giving fans/media a chance to talk about the draft for a week, you release this report on a Wednesday.  Remember, big news on the Ray Rice situation was often released on a Friday afternoon so it would be hot for a few hours and then significantly die down during the weekend.

Now, this report comes out on a Wednesday afternoon so the talking heads can blab about it for the rest of the week? 

I wouldn't be surprised if the league announces tomorrow that there will be a decision by next week...keep it hot, keep people talking, then release penalties early/mid week to stay in the spotlight.

Yea, I said something along these lines yesterday. 

The NFL marketing department uses controversy to stay in the national conversation, especially during the off-season. There's literally no incentive for them to handle disciplinary action within the game what it is, they use it instead as publicity stunt. It's disgusting really.

Funny that you wrote this.  The café had CNN on and some "sports reporter" was talking about how nothing would come of this because the NFL did not have evidence "beyond a reasonable doubt."  I was literally screaming to myself -"They don't need proof beyond a reasonable doubt!"  It must have come out as at least a mumble because a few people started staring at me...

You didn't see the pat on the back that reporter got from Robert Kraft.

deflating footballs

spying on the other team's practices

endless camera feeds during the games to steal calls

jamming the other team's radio headsets on key 3rd downs

microphones on the DTs to pick up the OL blocking calls

giving the home QB an extra few seconds on his headset before the snap

in the last 14 years, the Patriots at home are 3 standard deviations from the norm when it comes to covering the spread.

3 standard deviations is more than 99.7% from the mean. It's like the very edge of the bell curve. 

Tom Brady a miracle 6th round pick, skinny beanpole with zero athleticism

10631045-large.jpg

he's either the smartest QB to ever play the game or just the best cheater in the history of professional  sports. 

Maybe both.  

Look at that picture, doesnt even look like an athlete. Hey, enough cheating can make any scrub a champ. 

Shady ass loser, fake champions. 

Whatever the league does, the Jets and every other team the Pats face this year should do their talking on the field. Should be fun seeing how Brady tosses that pumpkin at 13.5 ppsi. Honestly, I don't see how the league wiggles out of laying down something half-way serious on him. He lied, he was arrogant, he refused to provide phone records and texts to investigators which were later validated through the low-level employees' records. The Pats will be punished as well. And should be simply for taking the low-road of denying any responsibility, taking no action of their own, and still owning nothing even after the events were confirmed. If this was in a real court, Brady's records would have been subpoenaed, the texts that they already have would be a matter of record, the staff would be under oath, and the whole organization would be fried. It really couldn't be more obvious.

You really think they want to keep this in the news?  I am sure the league will want this to die down as soon as possible.  It's not exactly a feel good story.  They release this sh*t at this time of year because it is the dead zone.  That doesn't have anything to do with a Pats loving conspiracy, but it is like the steroid story.  I am sure they don't want it out there any more than necessary.

But then there's the old show biz addage: any news is good news. Baseball season is just getting started, hockey and basketball are in their postseasons, and ESPN is talking about the NFL. I gotta agree with Glenn, when you wanna bury something, you drop it on Friday afternoon. The league knew exactly what they were doing with the timing of this report.

Whatever the league does, the Jets and every other team the Pats face this year should do their talking on the field. Should be fun seeing how Brady tosses that pumpkin at 13.5 ppsi. Honestly, I don't see how the league wiggles out of laying down something half-way serious on him. He lied, he was arrogant, he refused to provide phone records and texts to investigators which were later validated through the low-level employees' records. The Pats will be punished as well. And should be simply for taking the low-road of denying any responsibility, taking no action of their own, and still owning nothing even after the events were confirmed. If this was in a real court, Brady's records would have been subpoenaed, the texts that they already have would be a matter of record, the staff would be under oath, and the whole organization would be fried. It really couldn't be more obvious.

The lying -and continuing to lie thru his agent!- and refusing to hand over his phone should be huge factors in determining punishment if past precedent is taken into account. In the Ray Rice case, we heard a lot about how the commissioner demands honesty in his office, and is harsh when he doesn't get it.

Tom Brady and the Patriots organization feel they're above the rules. It's up to Goodell to prove them wrong on that count, too.

Good catch on this- yes we all have to remember this is not a court of law we are talking about. How much time before we hear a decision by Goodall on this.

Actually, "more probable than not" is the standard they use in a court of law.

Just not in criminal cases.

But then there's the old show biz addage: any news is good news. Baseball season is just getting started, hockey and basketball are in their postseasons, and ESPN is talking about the NFL. I gotta agree with Glenn, when you wanna bury something, you drop it on Friday afternoon. The league knew exactly what they were doing with the timing of this report.

The lying -and continuing to lie thru his agent!- and refusing to hand over his phone should be huge factors in determining punishment if past precedent is taken into account. In the Ray Rice case, we heard a lot about how the commissioner demands honesty in his office, and is harsh when he doesn't get it.

Tom Brady and the Patriots organization feel they're above the rules. It's up to Goodell to prove them wrong on that count, too.

That right there is the heart of this whole matter. 

This organization and this player in particular think they are bigger than the game. I, for one, think they are overdue to be shown that they are not. 

Sean Payton got suspended for a year for something he didn't even know about how can BB escape clean from this??

This is great if for no other reason than I saw obnoxious gasbag Peter King on TV this morning saying Brady shouldn't be suspended because they don't have definitive proof.

His other, insanely nonsensical argument for no suspension was that it would tarnish Brady's legacy to have the league suspend him for cheating. Two points on that one: 1. The commissioner should in no way consider anyone's legacy when determining punishment. 2. Tom Brady tarnished his own legacy by cheating.

Peter King is a Boston Homer. Typical media sycophant of the Patriots.

I have very little respect for him. If you want to be a Pats fan fine but try to sound semi-objective as a reporter.

The arrogance and combativeness of Kraft, Brady and Brady's idiotic agent is nauseating. Their statements have been completely delusional. The agent essentially said we were cheating, someone caught us but the NFL is at fault because they did not warn us so we could stop cheating, and because of that it was a "sting" of Brady. WTF?

This crime is SIGNIFICANTLY worse than Bountygate. Year suspension for Brady, Bellichick, maximum fine for corrupt Kraft and a complete overhaul of the ball handling procedure. If the NFL goes soft it will be a travesty.

That right there is the heart of this whole matter. 

This organization and this player in particular think they are bigger than the game. I, for one, think they are overdue to be shown that they are not. 

From the report it sounds like Brady is a complete arrogant douche to deal with,

Peter King is a Boston Homer. Typical media sycophant of the Patriots.

I have very little respect for him. If you want to be a Pats fan fine but try to sound semi-objective as a reporter.

God I hate King. Everyone knew he would defend his beloved patsies. F him in his ear.

God I hate King. Everyone knew he would defend his beloved patsies. F him in his ear.

Gary Myers is even worse OMFG you should have heard him on Boningo's show he sounded suicidal over Revis leaving New England for the Jets.

I didn't see Brady's agent yapping. But did anyone ask him why brady didn't turn over the phone ?

Unless it was a criminal investigation, Brady wasn't letting anyone near his phone. I don't blame him for it. All those dic pics he's saved...

Circumstantial evidence can get you hanged in a court of law.  what  we have here is circumstantial stuff as well as some text evidence.  The fact that these guys were not fired for tampering with the balls indicates that the Pats know they know too much.  These guys references to Brady indicate that they know Tom well and despise him.

I was watching Sportscenter last night, and one of their guests brought up an interesting point. Even if the evidence is only circumstantial, the standard of proof as far as NFL procedure goes is based on preponderance of evidence. Basically, so long as it's greater than 50% likelihood that the Pats deflated the balls and knew about it, they are technically culpable of wrongdoing.

Therefore, even if Kraft and the Pats organization tried to exploit the wording of the report, they are dead in the water per NFL regulations. Open and shut case, just penalize Brady and get on with our lives.

Good points, but on an aside (as general commentary) I hate that "circumstantial evidence" has become a negative thing in popular culture compared to reality.

Aaron Hernandez is going to jail for the rest of his life based on circumstantial evidence.  Circumstantial evidence is usually the best evidence in any case, but the guilty have been permitted to exploit that because absolute proof rarely, if ever, exists.

btw way there IS a smoking gun

the text where scumbag equipment guy states "I'm not going to ESPN.....yet"

that is a smoking gun.  they knew it was against the rules, and they knew superstar QB shady was calling the shots

otherwise it wouldn't be ESPN worthy

Unless it was a criminal investigation, Brady wasn't letting anyone near his phone. I don't blame him for it. All those dic pics he's saved...

I heard on the radio the NFL lawyer even proposed letting brady's lawyer go through the phone and decide what they could see

and he still said no

that's some real "full cooperation" right there, lol

Has anyone seen Patman? He has been real quiet since the Wells report came out, maby he is embarrassed that his team actually got caught again? wonder how long it will take before he comes back to tell us how terrible our team is and how the Jets should give draft picks to the Patriots because we are a bunch of cheaters with all of our tampering and stuff.

More probable than not is the legal equivalent of preponderance of evidence, the standard in civil cases compared to criminal cases.

This standard was used for a reason. This is not a criminal case and the NFL wanted to use a universally accepted standard.

The whole thing is comical. A) The balls were deflated. B )Brady says he likes deflated footballs. And C) Text messages existing as if they can be interpreted any other way. If criminals received this type of due process the nation's prisons would be empty. But because he's a football star, the media people act like the standard of proof is beyond any possible or imaginary doubt.

I heard on the radio the NFL lawyer even proposed letting brady's lawyer go through the phone and decide what they could see

and he still said no

that's some real "full cooperation" right there, lol

I haven't had a chance to watch the TV (its actually burnt. Surged!). Right now, with the way ted Walls concluded his report, its leaving some doubt as to his full involvement. Common sense suggests the equipment douches didn't care what the ball psi was, but were being bullied by "**** Tom", so he had to be the main guy behind it. But thats a bunch of texts between two guys not so important in the NFL...until 4 months ago.

deflating footballs

spying on the other team's practices

endless camera feeds during the games to steal calls

jamming the other team's radio headsets on key 3rd downs

microphones on the DTs to pick up the OL blocking calls

giving the home QB an extra few seconds on his headset before the snap

Great post and don't forget the "Tuck rule" that started it all

The path to the Superbowl last year was illegal formations and deflated footballs, nice job Goodall

Would love to see a documentary on all of this; The Pats* "way" murder and cheating in the NFL

Starts with a video of the Rams walkthrough prior to the Super Bowl XXXVI

"they scored over 30 points in every game that year, yet only 17 points when the other team cheats"

More probable than not is the legal equivalent of preponderance of evidence, the standard in civil cases compared to criminal cases.

This standard was used for a reason. This is not a criminal case and the NFL wanted to use a universally accepted standard.

You are correct, SMC.

That's what I was going to say.

Archived