Smith Has Edge, but Fitz Looking Better and Better

flgreen

That has nothing to do with it, I stopped reading your posts days ago bro-sorry.

You started an idiotic thread because you lack reading comprehension skills to get a point I made that was on point and continue to post my name or try to convey what you think I said in other posts, including the one I responded too above.

But hey you stopped reading what I write yet somehow responded to me. Makes sense bro

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He started 3 years for Gailey in Buffalo and 11 games in Houston last year when Macc was the GM. Just because he isn't a great option doesn't make him the weaker option or the option the HC/OC/GM would mind sending in there.

I don't think he's any better than Geno, hope I'm wrong. But it's been reported that when he was brought in that it was to be the backup. If true it tells you what Macc thinks of him. As does the fact that after three years with Chan, Chan announced that Geno is and should be the starter.

I don't think he's any better than Geno, hope I'm wrong. But it's been reported that when he was brought in that it was to be the backup. If true it tells you what Macc thinks of him. As does the fact that after three years with Chan, Chan announced that Geno is and should be the starter.

It tells me very little.  Just because they'd like for Geno to be the guy doesn't mean he will be the guy.  Rarely have what coaches and front offices said before a season started matter when the games actually get played.  If he can't prove he deserves to be the guy in these 2+ months of practice and preseason he'll sit.   Nothing is getting handed to him.

As for Fitz, it doesn't matter if you think he isn't better than Geno.  The numbers say otherwise.  It takes more excuses and rationalization to say why Geno is better than it does Fitz.  The only legitimate arguments that can be made for Geno is that he's young, has a prototypical build, and thus has some "upside" in that sense. 

People who want Geno to start are operating on blind faith he'll get significantly better than he has been.  Have at it, I say, just don't get too disappointed if he does get named starter and begins the season once again as a turnover machine, costing us chances at W's.  I would LOVE to be wrong on this one, and will gladly eat crow if it does happen the way people would like it to.  But it won't.

It tells me very little.  Just because they'd like for Geno to be the guy doesn't mean he will be the guy.  Rarely have what coaches and front offices said before a season started matter when the games actually get played.  If he can't prove he deserves to be the guy in these 2+ months of practice and preseason he'll sit.   Nothing is getting handed to him.

As for Fitz, it doesn't matter if you think he isn't better than Geno.  The numbers say otherwise.  It takes more excuses and rationalization to say why Geno is better than it does Fitz.  The only legitimate arguments that can be made for Geno is that he's young, has a prototypical build, and thus has some "upside" in that sense. 

People who want Geno to start are operating on blind faith he'll get significantly better than he has been.  Have at it, I say, just don't get too disappointed if he does get named starter and begins the season once again as a turnover machine, costing us chances at W's.  I would LOVE to be wrong on this one, and will gladly eat crow if it does happen the way people would like it to.  But it won't.

It tells you very little because you refuse to listen. The GM brought Fitzpatrick in to be the backup. The OC all but anointed Geno as the starter, and while the head coach backtracked a little bit he still said it's Geno's job to lose. In OTA's, Geno got the lion's share of the first team reps, while Fitzpatrick was splitting second team reps with Petty. Everything they're both doing and saying indicates that they intend for Geno to start opening day.

They're not going to cut Geno's reps with the first team while trying to install an offense around him. The only way for Fitzpatrick to overtake Geno before then would be for Geno to completely fall on his face in the first couple preseason games. Maybe they shift gears in that event, and prepare for Fitz to start the third preseason game (a.k.a.: the regular season tune-up) and go from there. But, sorry, that's not likely. You can dismiss it all you want, but the coaches prefer Geno's upside to Fitzpatrick's known quantity, and will continue to do so until Geno proves that he'll never live up to that upside. 

If it doesn't work out, and Geno does cost the team wins, even that isn't the worst thing in the world. Fitzpatrick isn't leading this team to the Super Bowl. If they're out of the playoffs, they can throw Petty in for a couple games to close out the year. Maybe even lose a couple more games. Which, again, would be fine - because the team would likely be looking to the draft in 2016 for a new QB, anyway. As we heard all the complaints about winning meaningless games last year, and the consequences thereof. 

Geno Smith Pulls Away in New York Jets QB Competition

Jun 15 2015 12:00 AM | Views: 801 | Dan Salem in New York Jets

937dede3b2c7970d80d155b2416cb6fa.jpeg

The New York Jets had a QB competition entering minicamp, but Geno Smith has officially pulled away. Dan Salem @thedansalem talks Jets' football. (Photo Credit: metro.us)
The New York Jets had a quarterback competition entering minicamp, but Geno Smith has officially pulled away. After some ups and downs, interceptions and touchdowns, Smith leaves Jets camp with confidence, poise, and the starting quarterback job in New York.

The feeling with Gang Green early on was that Ryan Fitzpatrick would give Smith a run for his money, pushing the third year player into the backup role with his experience and stronger command of Chan Gailey's new offense. Not so. It's clear after Jets' minicamp that both Smith and Fitzpatrick honestly want what's best for the team, and that means teamwork comes first.

An NFL quarterback competition usually means two players butting heads for one starting job. But in New York Geno Smith entered camp in 2015 as the starter, carried himself as if there was no competition, and left camp riding higher than before. As Jets' Quarterbacks Coach Kevin Patullo put it in an interview for NewYorkJets.com:

"Geno’s working hard. He's doing all the things we're asking of him. He's working hard in the classroom and on the field, he's practicing well, he's taken leadership."

Patullo went on in his interview to praise Geno's quick feet and command of the huddle, stating how he's "feeding off of Fitz," referring to Jets' backup quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick. This is great news for New York Jets' fans. The starter is taking control and working with his veteran backup. There is harmony in the locker room, and that equals wins on the field.

Last season Geno Smith and Michael Vick always felt like adversaries, at least from the outside looking in. The media wanted Vick to start for the Jets. The team waffled with its belief in Geno. The entire mess equaled two men wanting one job and not finding much middle ground. So long controversy. Michael Vick is gone and Ryan Fitzpatrick is a very different player. This is not to say that Fitzpatrick doesn't want to start in the NFL, but it appears the dynamic with Geno is quite different and starting on a positive note.

Besides his work ethic and leadership, Geno Smith has also been excelling in the shotgun formation, a major part of New York's new offense. If there was a quarterback competition before, it appears all but dried up. Head coach Todd Bowles even found some positives to discuss on offense by the time Jets' minicamp ended.

Bowles was focused on offensive execution throughout minicamp and found it got "a lot better" from day one until camp wrapped up. Much of this improvement has to fall on the shoulders of the quarterback. As Geno Smith improved, so did the overall execution on offense.

There's still many more practice days before the season kicks off, but I'm infinitely more confident in the 2015 New York Jets, knowing that Geno Smith is owning the starting job. No more quarterback competition means a greatly improved Geno. It means that for all the skills Fitzpatrick brings to the table, Smith is a step ahead. Time to rock and roll.

http://network.yardbarker.com/author/article_external/18971287?widget=true

Funny.  I remember the press saying Vick was giving Geno support when he first got to camp.  That all changed when Geno started being well, Geno.

I don't know what to believe when it comes to Vick; I do remember alot of media expected him to start.  All I know is the guy looked shot when he finally did play; there is a reason he is still waiting for a team to call.   Him saying he "wasn't prepared to play" when Geno got benched, spoke volumes.

You started an idiotic thread because you lack reading comprehension skills to get a point I made that was on point and continue to post my name or try to convey what you think I said in other posts, including the one I responded too above.

But hey you stopped reading what I write yet somehow responded to me. Makes sense bro

Your English teacher must be turning over in their grave.

That the GM told Fitz he's the backup and the OC looks at Geno as the starter says a lot. Says a lot more than Fitz played 3 years under Chan. Your assumption is that's an advantage to Fitz, unless of course Chan isn't s fan. So no all this says a lot. Even the half hearted attempt to somewhat say there's a competition from Bowels says a lot.

Sorry I don't agree Fitz is better. We can agree to disagree, there's no clear cut set of long term statistics to back either argument. I don't see any advantage for Fitz and all things relatively equal there's not s compelling argument for Fitz other than if you hate Geno and want anyone other than Geno, I do get it

yea every post you write is like a dissertation all saying the same thing, obviously I'll read if someone responds to me directly it's the other 173 posts where you're continually saying it over and over and over again that has been ignored, besides how do you know I was even referring to you when I said the person has "jet" in their name? There ARE others I could mean Jet Blue could I not? 

yea every post you write is like a dissertation all saying the same thing, obviously I'll read if someone responds to me directly it's the other 173 posts where you're continually saying it over and over and over again that has been ignored, besides how do you know I was even referring to you when I said the person has "jet" in their name? There ARE others I could mean Jet Blue could I not? 

Hey don't bring me into this, lol.  

Interesting, I responded to you once when you said Genos 3 INTS against the Bills is all you need to know he won't make it. That was it, generated a response. You telling others what I wrote. A thread and another post the other day. And s comment that what I think makes me delusional. Now I write the same things over and over.

If you're going to attempt to run with you tail between you legs here's a hint don't use jet nut or JN in your posts when describing someone. Especially when you bring something I wrote up. You know the posts you didn't read but talk about

Keep up the fantasy life you live in. It sounds interesting.

Not insulting and certainly not insulted. He wants to follow me around calling me delusional, not smart etc I'm not insulted.

My post wasn't directed at any one person specifically/singularly. Just saying that the only people entertained in this type of back and forth are those involved and the rest of us just want to read and participate in Jets discussions.

My post wasn't directed at any one person specifically/singularly. Just saying that the only people entertained in this type of back and forth are those involved and the rest of us just want to read and participate in Jets discussions.

Got it, didn't mean to waste anyone's time having to explain my right to an opinion. Done

Me neither. I find it quite scintillating. Much more interesting than babbling rants as to how Geno has been anointed the starter for the next decade.  

I dunno. I find JetBlue trying to tell everyone what they are or aren't allowed to talk about pretty entertaining too. Great necro material for future trolling. He's like the new Smashmouth.

Any big chance to replace Geno was over by the draft.  We got Fitz who's a career backup and got Petty in the fourth round, not usually the round a team waits for if they truly believe the player is the franchise.  At this point, unless Fitz comes on very strong in preseason, the team has decided to give Geno a full set of receivers for the first time, a new OC, and see what happens.

It tells you very little because you refuse to listen. The GM brought Fitzpatrick in to be the backup. The OC all but anointed Geno as the starter, and while the head coach backtracked a little bit he still said it's Geno's job to lose. In OTA's, Geno got the lion's share of the first team reps, while Fitzpatrick was splitting second team reps with Petty. Everything they're both doing and saying indicates that they intend for Geno to start opening day.

No, it indicates that it's Geno's job to lose which he well might do at any time, and that it's also Fitz job to win which he might very well do with time as his leg strengthens.  Fitz was the only QB worth signing this off season, the cupboard was that bare.  He has a game leg.  How could they not name Geno as the first team rep guy.  They had no choice since Bowles (correctly) does not split first team reps.  This in no way is an indicator or anything; noting is set in stone going forward.    

They're not going to cut Geno's reps with the first team while trying to install an offense around him. The only way for Fitzpatrick to overtake Geno before then would be for Geno to completely fall on his face in the first couple preseason games. Maybe they shift gears in that event, and prepare for Fitz to start the third preseason game (a.k.a.: the regular season tune-up) and go from there. But, sorry, that's not likely. You can dismiss it all you want, but the coaches prefer Geno's upside to Fitzpatrick's known quantity, and will continue to do so until Geno proves that he'll never live up to that upside. 

I don't think the coaches give a crap about fantom upsides.  I think the coaches want W's.  Who ever wins the start by the end of the preseason with be the starter.  Geno hasn't won anything yet.  It's simply his to lose and nothing more.  And we all know how good Geno is at blowing it.  Further Fitz isn't as needy of reps as Geno is so first team reps in and of themselves is not a roadblock.

If it doesn't work out, and Geno does cost the team wins, even that isn't the worst thing in the world. Fitzpatrick isn't leading this team to the Super Bowl. If they're out of the playoffs, they can throw Petty in for a couple games to close out the year. Maybe even lose a couple more games. Which, again, would be fine - because the team would likely be looking to the draft in 2016 for a new QB, anyway. As we heard all the complaints about winning meaningless games last year, and the consequences thereof. 

I love this "Fitz can't get us the the SB" argument; NOT.  No QB on this roster can get us to the SB so even bringing it up is sophistry.  I do believe that this team has the talent that either QB (whoever wins the start) can get us to the post season and from there it's just "enjoy the ride"  I'm not yet prepared to envision the doomsday scenarios nor to address the 2016 draft. 

I dunno. I find JetBlue trying to tell everyone what they are or aren't allowed to talk about pretty entertaining too. Great necro material for future trolling. He's like the new Smashmouth.

JetBlue AKA Jet Mother Hen

I disagree.

I agree with your disagreement.  Perhaps we should have a thread that solely focuses on insults in response to posts that members feel the need to be 'expressive'. 

And we could have a single thread that fixates on how Geno sucks.  The Geno Sucks Thread.  It would be difficult to follow the context of such insults if taken out of their primary thread and would take the 'fun' out of it. But at least we wouldn't get these admonishments from the Sperm man.

Me neither. I find it quite scintillating. Much more interesting than babbling rants as to how Geno has been anointed the starter for the next decade.

Even better, the babbling rants of the Geno haters and their expert arm chair Madden Coach skills on full display!!

Archived