Smith Has Edge, but Fitz Looking Better and Better

flgreen

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol

I read earlier that Fitzy's conditioning isn't where it needs to be yet, given the broken leg recovery. Seems like he's giving it everything he's got to get back to 100%.

I imagine the prospect of playing in Chan's offense again (which is how he gained value as a QB in the first place) with players of the caliber we have now has him chomping at the bit. If he doesn't overtake Geno before the season starts, I'd be shocked.

ZAn endorsement of sorts but hardly a ringing one given the hedging that has already taken place.  This starting position also makes the public relations exercise easier for the Jets in the event that a change becomes necessary because it is difficult to make the case that they were biased against Geno from the start.

His football IQ seems low because his decision making has been quite poor.  Fitzpatrick has the same issue no matter how smart he is although he does not seem to have the problem to the same degree that Geno does.

I am comfortable with where we are at this point although I wonder to what degree the new administration will allow the season to fail or begin to fail with Geno before they decide to pull the plug on him.  The new administration can reasonably expect at least one honeymoon year given the steaming QB mess that they inherited even if the defense turns out to be all world as I expect.

Exactly. He's here, in the very unlikely event the lightbulb goes off above his head, great. If not, why badmouth a guy you might explore dealing sometime in training camp or September when(this is not an if thing) Fitz takes the job. 

Lol. Figures? What the hell are you talking about?

Your opinion aside, it is Geno's job to lose. I'm rooting for the kid, not because I have any connection or affection for him, but because -like the Jets new coaching staff- I recognize that he has greater upside than Fitzpatrick. That's the beginning and the end of it.

And yeah, if he doesn't get it together this year, he can sit if Fitzpatrick proves to be the better option. I have a lot of the same complaints about Geno as you have, despite your efforts to set me up as your strawman. But, recognizing what the new regime has planned for him this year, I'd rather root for that new regime and their inherited QB than be a cantankerous prick about it. :)

Well seeing that its his job to lose, and how good Geno is at losing, then its hearsay that he'll lose the starting job. This is not Idziot's team anymore where he bullied Rex into starting Smith.  So you go ahead and root for him - go get yourself some pom poms while you're at it.  He's a POS on so many  levels its not even funny; an immature, self centered idiot the movie Draft Day was inspired by his pompous attitude.  I'll be rooting for The Jets and rooting for Geno to fall slat on his face.  Best of both worlds. And I didn't know we could say prick on here. Can we say dick? What about penis? Schlong? I like that better. Please refer to me as a cantankerous schlong instead. Better to be a cantankerous schlong than acting like a pom pom wielding schlort. One good dick comment deserves another, don't ya think.       

I'd take Carr in a micro second over Geno. And where has Geno shown any glimpse of intelligence?  I know 5th graders who have a better command of the English language. 

Geno is a blithering idiot.  Intelligent? Hardly.  Definition: the ability to acquire and apply knowledge and skills.  Geno is the antithesis of this.  Wisdom, kindness, humility, acceptance, sacrifice are qualities I believe are more important.  Regardless, Geno hasn't displayed any of these attributes either.  He isn't a leader, he doesn't learn from his mistakes, he's self centered, his teammates for the most part lack confidence in him, he hasn't grown in any of these areas over the last 2 years either statistically or emotionally.   

And the coaching staff really has zero investment in this bum.  He unfortunately was the only 'experienced' QB on the roster inherited by Mac and Bowles.  They have no choice but to go all in on Smith this year until Petty is ready.  There really were no other options.  But to say 'the CS recognizes his physical abilities, and believes he has the intelligence to to do the job' is really comical.  With comments like this you're jeopardizing your reputation as moderator!  I understand you're biased towards Smith BUT try and be objective.     

By week 3 or 4, I could care less about the preseason, Geno will FALL SLAT on his face! and FItzMagic will take over. WATCH!

Browns Colts Eagles Dolphins - 2 Wins 2 Losses and Smith does absolutely nothing but suck. CS pulls the plug and hands over the reigns to Fitz.

How the hell do you know how smart someone is or isn't? His struggles are enough ammo, why go over the top

Well seeing that its his job to lose, and how good Geno is at losing, then its hearsay that he'll lose the starting job. This is not Idziot's team anymore where he bullied Rex into starting Smith. So you go ahead and root for him - go get yourself some pom poms while you're at it. He's a POS on so many levels its not even funny; an immature, self centered idiot the movie Draft Day was inspired by his pompous attitude. I'll be rooting for The Jets and rooting for Geno to fall slat on his face. Best of both worlds. And I didn't know we could say prick on here. Can we say dick? What about penis? Schlong? I like that better. Please refer to me as a cantankerous schlong instead. Better to be a cantankerous schlong than acting like a pom pom wielding schlort. One good dick comment deserves another, don't ya think.

I never called you a cantankerous prick, all I said was that I'd rather not behave like one.

It's crazy, though, right? I root for the players on my favorite team to be successful. It's so counter-intuitive. What I should be doing instead is get all twisted up in an angry knot over imperfections and flaws both real and imagined and lash out at other posters on a message board. That would be mature, and not the least bit self-centered, idiotic, or pompous (or pom pom!). Those should be my goals.

I read earlier that Fitzy's conditioning isn't where it needs to be yet, given the broken leg recovery. Seems like he's giving it everything he's got to get back to 100%.

I imagine the prospect of playing in Chan's offense again (which is how he gained value as a QB in the first place) with players of the caliber we have now has him chomping at the bit. If he doesn't overtake Geno before the season starts, I'd be shocked.

#1   Way to show that competitive drive Geno... letting some white guy nearly 10 years older than you beat you in gassers.

I'm sure your teammates understand that you are pacing yourself... saving it for the "games that count"

#2  Looks like my bet with Raiderholic will pit Fitzpatrick against Carr. My odds just improved!

I got it like that.  And no his struggles aren't enough. He must be banished.

Don't get all riled up - I just don't consider him an NFL QB and I'm sick and tired of losing.

He won 8 when the team was picked to win 4. Won 4 when they were a 4 win roster. What do you think his teams would have won with someone else?

You think we need to give Petty time to develop. Why? Because he came from a spread O? Because he too the ball out of the shotgun every play? So he needs time? Why don't you want to give Geno the same time, he played in the same kind of offense. Why time for one not the other?

And this might be his last chance to compete for a starting job in his career.

He won 8 when the team was picked to win 4. Won 4 when they were a 4 win roster. What do you think his teams would have won with someone else?

You think we need to give Petty time to develop. Why? Because he came from a spread O? Because he too the ball out of the shotgun every play? So he needs time? Why don't you want to give Geno the same time, he played in the same kind of offense. Why time for one not the other?

He didn't win 8. Rex had more to do with winning 8 than Geno. And Smith's tendencies have been fully exposed.  He continues making the same mistakes.  He has had time to develop - 2 years and really hasn't shown any consistent progress.  Nobody was asking Smith to win a SB, just show progress.  Petty will have has the luxury Smith didn't. So what. Either put up or shut up.  When it comes time for Petty to perform, he will be subjected to the same litmus test.  My feeling is Petty's upside is greater than Smith. He has a better arm and has shown to have that 'it'.  Even Gruden was very impressed with him.  I think we may just have had the two steals of this draft in Petty and Williams after all is said and done.      

Well seeing that its his job to lose, and how good Geno is at losing, then its hearsay that he'll lose the starting job. This is not Idziot's team anymore where he bullied Rex into starting Smith.  So you go ahead and root for him - go get yourself some pom poms while you're at it.  He's a POS on so many  levels its not even funny; an immature, self centered idiot the movie Draft Day was inspired by his pompous attitude.  I'll be rooting for The Jets and rooting for Geno to fall slat on his face.  Best of both worlds. And I didn't know we could say prick on here. Can we say dick? What about penis? Schlong? I like that better. Please refer to me as a cantankerous schlong instead. Better to be a cantankerous schlong than acting like a pom pom wielding schlort. One good dick comment deserves another, don't ya think.       

You sir are fast becoming one of my favorite new guys-not for how you are talking to my buddy slats who is a good dude but with how you and I BOTH see this POS scrub pretending to be the QB for the past 2 seasons.

He didn't win 8. Rex had more to do with winning 8 than Geno. And Smith's tendencies have been fully exposed. He continues making the same mistakes. He has had time to develop - 2 years and really hasn't shown any consistent progress. Nobody was asking Smith to win a SB, just show progress. Petty will have has the luxury Smith didn't. So what. Either put up or shut up. When it comes time for Petty to perform, he will be subjected to the same litmus test. My feeling is Petty's upside is greater than Smith. He has a better arm and has shown to have that 'it'. Even Gruden was very impressed with him. I think we may just have had the two steals of this draft in Petty and Williams after all is said and done.

So to sum up, he wasn't the QB who won games two years ago. But he was the QB who lost games last year?

And no, I see Smith has gotten any leeway on his learning curve. As in you telling you s all he has to do is show progress. It's impossible to not see that he improved over his rookie season a year ago.

Petty's upside is higher than Smiths because you haven't seen him yet. It's what we do, fall in love with backups, especially ones we have never seen throw a pass. It even makes us imagine that they have better arms, better skills and the all time joke "it"

The one good thing about the internal battle waging among us Jets fans is that now I don't want to speak too soon but I haven't noticed any Pats fans around lately

Are they all banned or something? I noticed that too.   Lets enjoy it while it lasts... 

You sir are fast becoming one of my favorite new guys-not for how you are talking to my buddy slats who is a good dude but with how you and I BOTH see this POS scrub pretending to be the QB for the past 2 seasons.

Easy now - slats may cut you loose. But seriously if you feel slats is a cool dude then I will go with your lead.  And who you calling sir? lol 

So to sum up, he wasn't the QB who won games two years ago. But he was the QB who lost games last year?

And no, I see Smith has gotten any leeway on his learning curve. As in you telling you s all he has to do is show progress. It's impossible to not see that he improved over his rookie season a year ago.

Petty's upside is higher than Smiths because you haven't seen him yet. It's what we do, fall in love with backups, especially ones we have never seen throw a pass. It even makes us imagine that they have better arms, better skills and the all time joke "it"

do yourself a favor and see Petty in his Bowl game last year - he was phenomenal.  I was stunned he lasted till round 4.  As far as Smith improving, how could he not have improved from year one - he was that bad.  And his progress was minimal at best. Not nearly enough to get excited about unless you work for the unemployment office.  

I never called you a cantankerous prick, all I said was that I'd rather not behave like one.

It's crazy, though, right? I root for the players on my favorite team to be successful. It's so counter-intuitive. What I should be doing instead is get all twisted up in an angry knot over imperfections and flaws both real and imagined and lash out at other posters on a message board. That would be mature, and not the least bit self-centered, idiotic, or pompous (or pom pom!). Those should be my goals.

You know you really should major in political science. You missed your calling. You're such a politician.  Truly, I am so envious.  But lets put these differences aside. I do believe you're an earnest Jet fan. I hope you trust I am.  Anyone who remembers The Diesel is ok in my book.    

Easy now - slats may cut you loose. But seriously if you feel slats is a cool dude then I will go with your lead.  And who you calling sir? lol 

Also, anybody who uses George Sauer Jr.'s picture under his name knows what's (and who's) good and what ain't

Also, anybody who uses George Sauer Jr.'s picture under his name knows what's (and who's) good and what ain't

He is my favorite WR of all time. I patterned my game after him.  Was lights out in SB III.  I had NFL.com customize a George Sauer jersey. Its da bomb.   :cool0043:   

It warrants mentioning that Geno's best game as a Jet was his debut vs. the Buccaneers. He won the game after getting shoved after the whistle after foolishly electing to run the ball with final seconds counting down - the 15 free yards put us into fg and we won.  

That was awesome and I credit forever Geno winning us the "Revis bowl".  

But that was the last time he ever did the team a lick of good. And I don't consider engineering a "perfect QB rating" (whatever) over the Dolphins to take us to 4-12 as doing much of anything for anyone but someone dumb enough to have Geno on a fantasy football roster.

Geno is an opposing team's def coordinator's dream.  

Archived