Semi-Official Concert Review Thread

Bugg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Keep getting postponed notices from venues. Got tix to about 5 shows that keep getting kicked down the road, a lot of $$ invested that could go to Mr. Strymon. Refunds are never offered and I think that many of the small venues won't survive this.  One of the shows is Toxic Monkey which is Lukather's fusion band (w/ Will Lee and Bill Evans). They postponed that until 12/5/21, a Sunday right in the throes of the Jets 2021 division title race ... uh ... I mean wildcard run ... uh ... hmm ... nevermind.    

I can't even imagine how a car concert could work unless everybody had Miatas. 

Something will get invented. How about this:

Combine a mosh pit with a demolition derby. Gotta play real loud like the old days with stacks of Marshalls and Hiwatts. Kids can wreck mom's SUV. They'd love it. 

On 9/5/2020 at 2:20 AM, RutgersJetFan said:

I miss jazz clubs dearly and I think Shabaka Hutchings is one of the current greats. I regret never taking the opportunity to see The Comet is Coming live as they are my favorite project of his, and as soon as all this craziness is over it's a top priority. 

That in your mind is jazz?     I have a personal pet peeve that Jazz is played with an acoustic bass, acoustic piano. That to me is fusion.

I sound like Archie Bunker I know.

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

That in your mind is jazz?     I have a personal pet peeve that Jazz is played with an acoustic bass, acoustic piano. That to me is fusion.

I sound like Archie Bunker I know.

.... and sax, trumpet, vibes etc.

Plug in, break out the synths and solid bodies, mix rock and jazz elements, you have the very definition of fusion, so no Archieing here.

Can you imagine taking the old pros forward in time to see/hear it? 

• Upvote 1

• 2 years later...

Well, I must have seen this band over 20 times since I was 18 years old and saw them at the Bottom Line in the Village and My Father's Place where I could often be found those days.Here we go again.....   This Friday night in Carteret.   Lots of tickets.  Bored?  Got nothing better lined up?  Me and Mrs. Cat will be there, God bless her patience for me. 

• Upvote 1

I miss jazz clubs dearly and I think Shabaka Hutchings is one of the current greats. I regret never taking the opportunity to see The Comet is Coming live as they are my favorite project of his, and as soon as all this craziness is over it's a top priority. 

Thats pretty sick!

It started out as out there jazz and morphed into fusion prog

very nice and interesting

WTF is this?!  Very cool!

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Yes i did a golf cart concert during covid. I really hated it but good lineup with goose lettuce and unphreys mcgee and others

on a side note, the ladies seemed to love the covid square. we kept our coolers and chairs in the 8x8 taped off section. i hated it because im a first row rail rider and i cannot sit for any good concert but the ladies oh man they loved that spot but they dont have the passion that i do

• 6 months later...

Iron Maiden last night in Dublin. As per tradition, the support act were rubbish. Apparently they were Germany's entry in the Eurovision Song Contest. And came last. However, as a result of spending 50 minutes in a typically disorganised "queue" at the merch stall, missed most of their set. Could hear it though. Unfortunately.

Maiden on the other hand, probably the best I've seen them. Admittedly having Somewhere in Time (my favourite album of theirs) making up a large part of the set helped. Alexander the Great had to be the highlight of the night, though the songs from the current album sounded excellent too.

P1110411.JPG

• Upvote 2

I saw Robert Plant and Allison Krauss at Bethel Woods in Bethel, NY last night.

First off, Bethel Woods is an amazingly scenic outdoor amphitheater on the site of the original Woodstock concert. It has to be the cleanest, most well appointed outdoor venue I've ever been to (Saratoga Springs, Jones Beach and Xfinity Theater.) It has pavilion seating in the case of rain.

The opening band was JD McPherson who I never heard of. I didn't know what to expect but I was pleasantly surprised. It was a cross of rockabilly and rock and roll. He did a cover of Lust for Life that was outstanding. He is also the lead guitarist for Robert Plant and Allison Krauss.

Ok, now to Robert Plant. I haven't followed his solo offering since 1993's Fate of Nations. I saw him in 1988 when he was touring Now and Zen with Stevie Ray Vaughan opening. So it had been a while.

I had no idea what he collaborated with a country singer and violinist named Allison Krauss back in 2007. The album won a bunch of Grammys and was a huge success. Two years ago he reunited with her and put out an album entitled Raise the Roof. That is the album he is promoting.

So this was not a Led Zeppelin tour memory lane. Between the 2007 album and the 2021 album, it compromised the majority of the songs. He played 3 Zeppelin covers: Rock and Roll, When the Levee Breaks, Hallows Pole and Battle of Evermore (the best song of the night.) He did In the Mood from his second solo album and Read the Letter from his Page and Plant days. It was amazing.

I've seen over 150 concerts of major acts. This has to be one of the best I've ever seen. His band was phenomenal and he sounded as good as ever. Allison Krauss is the perfect compliment to his voice and her violin playing was outstanding.

I only recorded one song because I wanted to be in the moment. Here is Gallows Pole:

• Upvote 3

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm on a bit of an epic concert run this year.  More luck than anything making it all come together.

Green Day, Weezer, Smashing Pumpkins, Jane's Addiction, The Cure, Metallica already in the rearview mirror.  Metallica was most recent here in Phoenix.  Excellent show just over a week ago....

IMG_7297.thumb.jpeg.aa9a22af4f1b9b85d42dca492092ef25.jpeg

IMG_7320.thumb.jpg.08579adb2a5a46a74b73d6770dd6270e.jpg

Next up:  Foo Fighters on Oct. 3 here in Phoenix.  Tool on Oct. 20th in Tacoma, WA

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Gainzo said:

How was it? My friend went and said is was sensational.

it was unlike any other show.  the sound was quite good but the visuals were something else.  have to be careful about what seat to get because some don't have good view of the screen which is the big draw.

Bono sounded good for an aging rocker.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Always a great show.  And I love going to the Beacon.  Red Farm 1st.

Kenny Wayne Shepherd Band

More Info

Fri • Mar 15 • 8:00 PMBeacon Theatre, New York, NY

We are in Row B (6th row) Center.  Bought these like 6 months ago. LOL... Just looked at ticketmaster seating and there's a pair of seats right behind us in Row C (center).  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
59 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

not a concert per se but i saw jesus christ superstar last week. it was good! not superb but good!

My mom took me to see that when I was 11 or 12 during Christmas break. That's what Jewish kids from Queens did. I always liked the songbook for that musical.  It was well written.  Fond memories.

35 minutes ago, Dcat said:

My mom took me to see that when I was 11 or 12 during Christmas break. That's what Jewish kids from Queens did. I always liked the songbook for that musical.  It was well written.  Fond memories.

yea it kicked ass. jewish? all this time i had u pegged for a black dude. 

17 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

yea it kicked ass. jewish? all this time i had u pegged for a black dude. 

1/2 jewish 1/2 catholic puerto rican.  I am a fine NYC mutt. Baptized by one grandmother and barmitvahed by another.  I'm carrying most of the relevant cards.