Cromarties gaffe

Jetster

I wasn't happy with Cromartie before I watched INSIDE THE NFL. Have to say I'm really, really not happy with his play after hearing Bowles on the show.

Bowles literally tells Cro to watch the out & up. Seconds later Cro bites & the Brownies score a TD. No wonder Bowles answered so frankly when asked if Cro was expecting help. He threw him right under the bus.

My fear is that Cro came back for the money & his head isn't "in the game" like it should be. He's gotten lax & is just going through the motions. I'm hoping Bowles makes him EARN his job back if Marcus is playing well. I actually think Cro still has something left in the tank, I just think he's a coasting a bit & taking advantage of his relationship with Bowles. He got a wakeup call with getting burned right after Bowles told him exactly what was coming & then got injured. 

This just might be the motivation Cro needs to get back in the game & pick it the hell up.

After reading Collision Low Crossers, it became clear that Cro is what he is.  He has all the athleticism in the world, and actually is pretty likable.  However, he's not really coachable at all. 

For years with the Jets the coaches tried to get him to use his long arms to press receivers at the line, and he just wouldn't do it.  Coaches would be watching film with him explaining what he needed to do better, and he'd literally respond by saying "F*ck you".  He doesn't trust a lot of people and refuses to take any kind of constructive criticism.  He's going to just do what he does out there and it's just the way he is.  However, Bowles also would not have brought him over from Arizona if he didn't think the pros outweighed the cons.

After reading Collision Low Crossers, it became clear that Cro is what he is.  He has all the athleticism in the world, and actually is pretty likable.  However, he's not really coachable at all.  For years with the Jets the coaches tried to get him to use his long arms to press receivers at the line, and he just wouldn't do it.  He's going to just do what he does out there.  However, Bowles also would not have brought him over from Arizona if he didn't think the pros outweighed the cons.

This seems to be the company line around here...there is a chance that he's wrong. Age happens quickly to guys like this, maybe Bowles gambled that he could get another year out of him and lost.

After reading Collision Low Crossers, it became clear that Cro is what he is.  He has all the athleticism in the world, and actually is pretty likable.  However, he's not really coachable at all.  For years with the Jets the coaches tried to get him to use his long arms to press receivers at the line, and he just wouldn't do it.  He's going to just do what he does out there.  However, Bowles also would not have brought him over from Arizona if he didn't think the pros outweighed the cons.

I think Cro needs to be paying more attention. While I'm sure all corners take chances knowing the situation & being aware are vital in this sport. What I'm saying is if your heads not in the game than your totally betting on your athleticism to compensate.

While a lot of us are talking about Cro losing his athleticism, the real barometer for how well he'll do this year I believe is does he still have the passion to do it. Once you lose the gleam as Marty liked to say you can call it a day.

This seems to be the company line around here...there is a chance that he's wrong. Age happens quickly to guys like this, maybe Bowles gambled that he could get another year out of him and lost.

You definitely could be right.  Plus my guess is Bowles wanted a guy who understands his system.  He probably also wanted someone who could help bridge the gap since our 2 young corners (Milliner and McDougle) can't seem to stay healthy.  Yes, we all love Marcus Williams right now, but no one would have been comfortable with him being named our starting # 2 corner over the summer.  There were a lot of good reasons to bring in Cro, not the least of which being his good relationship with Revis, but that doesn't preclude Bowles from also hoping someone on the roster would supplant him midseason.

You definitely could be right.  Plus my guess is Bowles wanted a guy who understands his system.  He probably also wanted someone who could help bridge the gap since our 2 young corners (Milliner and McDougle) can't seem to stay healthy.  Yes, we all love Marcus Williams right now, but no one would have been comfortable with him being named our starting # 2 corner over the summer.  There were a lot of good reasons to bring in Cro, not the least of which being his good relationship with Revis, but that doesn't preclude Bowles from also hoping someone on the roster would supplant him midseason.

Oh absolutely...I still actually think signing him wasn't a bad idea...but the reality is that it was an insurance policy.  I really hope Bowles sticks to that mentality and doesn't give him a long leash.

He doesn't look like he has fallen off a cliff athletically to me.  That was pretty much par for the course with Cromartie.  The team also may feel that Revis is a good influence on him.  Revis takes the number one and Cromartie is an excellent match up guy to use with Skrine, Williams and the rest.

Williams has really looked good, but I don't think he can give you what Cromartie does.  He certainly didn't Sunday.  Williams played off and faced the WR/QB.  Book was that was how he played in college - never backpedalled.  Part of it may be style, what they do best. It also may be that most of the time they were up against a sh*tty QB.  Play off and face him and wait for the mistakes to come.  Keep the ball in front of you and hammer the WR if he catches it.  Williams did that very well, but I don't know that will be how they want him to play against Luck.

He doesn't look like he has fallen off a cliff athletically to me.  That was pretty much par for the course with Cromartie.  The team also may feel that Revis is a good influence on him.  Revis takes the number one and Cromartie is an excellent match up guy to use with Skrine, Williams and the rest.

Williams has really looked good, but I don't think he can give you what Cromartie does.  He certainly didn't Sunday.  Williams played off and faced the WR/QB.  Book was that was how he played in college - never backpedalled.  Part of it may be style, what they do best. It also may be that most of the time they were up against a sh*tty QB.  Play off and face him and wait for the mistakes to come.  Keep the ball in front of you and hammer the WR if he catches it.  Williams did that very well, but I don't know that will be how they want him to play against Luck.

Yep.  Very hard for me to write off Cro and thus put Williams on a pedestal just yet.  The QB's were McCown and Manziel and the WR's were Travis Benjamin, Andrew Hawkins, Brian Hartline and Taylor Gabriel.  Even without TY Hilton, things will look completely different when you have Andrew Luck throwing to Andre Johnson, Donte Moncrief, and Phillip Dorsett.  Not to mention on Monday Night Football.  On the road.  In a dome. 

One way or the other it will be pretty big if Cro can play this week (this hasn't been ruled out yet).  6-2 deep threat Moncrief would likely be the guy he needs to take on if he plays (the type of WR Cro has thrived against in the past and who Revis struggles with).  Skrine is 5-9 and Williams is 5-11....anyone here think Luck won't be licking his chops if one of them covers Moncrief or Andre Johnson (6-3) at any point in time?

Cro has never been a technician. He's solely relied on his SUPERLATIVE athletic talents to carry his career. Once his body betrays him his career is done. Cro is, at best, a #3 or #4 CB on this roster behind Revis, Skrine, and possibly now even Marcus Williams. He's great depth at this stage of his career, but his refusal to improve his technique and listen to the CS with a broken down body  is why we saw him get BURNT in 2013 and why he was burnt last Sunday. 

I like Cro, but he seems cooked if he doesn't improve his technique. 

Or maybe, some of you are overreacting after 1 game. The Jets have incredible depth at CB with Cro/Williams/Mcdougle and eventually Milliner. I personally don't care who plays, but I am not about to give up on Cro because he got beat on a play. He was very good last year in arizona (graded at 45th among CBs) and I doubt he went from good to cuttable in 1 offseason. 

And I also saw Revis get  beat on 3 big 3rd downs in week 1 against CFL level WRs, should we start talking about whether he is also toast?

One comment I want to make about Cro without getting into the is he still as good as he once was or was he even ever good or whatever. He is not just here for a paycheck. The man gets paid whether he is on the field or not. And when he went down Sunday, the whole world could see on his face the look of heartbreak that his season might be over.

No one should be given anything in this league, a roster spot or starting job or anything, the best guy should play. But it's below the belt to say Cro doesn't care about anything but getting paid. Let's also consider that he virtually begged the Jets to be brought back last year and even offered a home town discount to stay.

DB's get beat - it happens.  Players get hurt - that happens too.  Truth is the other guys are professionals too.  With regards to Cro, what we've heard from Bowles with the Geno incident is that if the replacement player comes in, performs and the team is winning that there's no guarantee your spot will be there when you get healthy.

I expect the same with this situation.  Let's see what Marcus can do.  He now has his chance.  

I truthfully believe this coaching and FO staff could care less who you are, etc.  You perform, you play.  You don't, you sit.  

Or maybe, some of you are overreacting after 1 game. The Jets have incredible depth at CB with Cro/Williams/Mcdougle and eventually Milliner. I personally don't care who plays, but I am not about to give up on Cro because he got beat on a play. He was very good last year in arizona (graded at 45th among CBs) and I doubt he went from good to cuttable in 1 offseason. 

And I also saw Revis get  beat on 3 big 3rd downs in week 1 against CFL level WRs, should we start talking about whether he is also toast?

Uhhh 45th isn't very good at all and let's also not take PFF as gospel.  All I'm saying is that yeah, it's very possible that the 31 year old corner who relies on his athleticism and has bad hips might have taken a big step back...I don't think that is an unreasonable hypothesis.  Let's also talk about how he wasn't passing the eye test in: Game 1, The entire Preseason, practices.  That's a much bigger sample size than your "3 downs for revis" nonsense.

Cro is one of those athletes that seems to think they never lose a step as they get older.  He is still a fast guy but that does not make you a good CB.  He needs to play smarter and be less cocky.  It's ok to be confident but don't fool yourself.    

Cro actually looked very good in the 3rd preseason game including a pick 6. And how do you know how Cro did in practices versus guys like Williams and Mcdougle? For some  reason Bowles chose to start Cro and I think he knows a little more than you. And being ranked 45th by PFF holds more weight than whatever your untrained eye tells us.  

Cro actually looked very good in the 3rd preseason game including a pick 6. And how do you know how Cro did in practices versus guys like Williams and Mcdougle? For some  reason Bowles chose to start Cro and I think he knows a little more than you. And being ranked 45th by PFF holds more weight than whatever your untrained eye tells us.  

I follow every Jet reporter/analyst on the face of the earth on twitter because I'm really ******* bored at work.

Btw:  Cromartie graded out as -1.3 in that preseason game.  ^_^

Cro has never been a technician. He's solely relied on his SUPERLATIVE athletic talents to carry his career. Once his body betrays him his career is done. Cro is, at best, a #3 or #4 CB on this roster behind Revis, Skrine, and possibly now even Marcus Williams. He's great depth at this stage of his career, but his refusal to improve his technique and listen to the CS with a broken down body  is why we saw him get BURNT in 2013 and why he was burnt last Sunday. 

I like Cro, but he seems cooked if he doesn't improve his technique. 

No, the reason he got burnt in 2013 is because he was playing with a hip injury that most other guys wouldn't have played with.  Your hips are important when you're a CB.  Any CB would have played poorly with that injury, great technician or not.  

Chromate has never missed a game due to injury.  He even played 2008 with a broken hip.

One comment I want to make about Cro without getting into the is he still as good as he once was or was he even ever good or whatever. He is not just here for a paycheck. The man gets paid whether he is on the field or not. And when he went down Sunday, the whole world could see on his face the look of heartbreak that his season might be over.

No one should be given anything in this league, a roster spot or starting job or anything, the best guy should play. But it's below the belt to say Cro doesn't care about anything but getting paid. Let's also consider that he virtually begged the Jets to be brought back last year and even offered a home town discount to stay.

Wait, I figured you'd go on about how Marcus Williams gave Cro the old Wally Pip?

On a serious note your post is dead on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After reading Collision Low Crossers, it became clear that Cro is what he is.  He has all the athleticism in the world, and actually is pretty likable.  However, he's not really coachable at all. 

For years with the Jets the coaches tried to get him to use his long arms to press receivers at the line, and he just wouldn't do it.  Coaches would be watching film with him explaining what he needed to do better, and he'd literally respond by saying "F*ck you".  He doesn't trust a lot of people and refuses to take any kind of constructive criticism.  He's going to just do what he does out there and it's just the way he is.  However, Bowles also would not have brought him over from Arizona if he didn't think the pros outweighed the cons.

Wow, if this is true.  Although I guess I shouldn't be surprised.  He walks in a room and someone usually gets pregnant.

I was worried about bringing Cromartie back.

He absolutely sucked during his last season with the Jets.  Yeah, I know he was supposedly injured.  If you're injured to the point where it's affecting your play to that extent, then get out of the game.  He was awful.

I didn't watch enough Cardinals games to know how he played over the course of the season.  I saw them a couple of times and he looked decent.  Nothing special, but good.

I don't trust him out there at all.  I'd rather see Williams starting.

I wasn't happy with Cromartie before I watched INSIDE THE NFL. Have to say I'm really, really not happy with his play after hearing Bowles on the show.

Bowles literally tells Cro to watch the out & up. Seconds later Cro bites & the Brownies score a TD. No wonder Bowles answered so frankly when asked if Cro was expecting help. He threw him right under the bus.

My fear is that Cro came back for the money & his head isn't "in the game" like it should be. He's gotten lax & is just going through the motions. I'm hoping Bowles makes him EARN his job back if Marcus is playing well. I actually think Cro still has something left in the tank, I just think he's a coasting a bit & taking advantage of his relationship with Bowles. He got a wakeup call with getting burned right after Bowles told him exactly what was coming & then got injured. 

This just might be the motivation Cro needs to get back in the game & pick it the hell up.

Gotta disagree with you on this one. I watched that Mic'd up clip, Bowles was shouting at Cro from the sideline & Cro probably didn't hear him on the field between the crowd noise and everything else. This wasn't Cro ignoring his coach, he just got beat.

It was pretty cool though seeing how Bowles himself recognized the play (and a couple others)- shows his smarts  

I'm still worried about his athleticism, since he relies on it, and he's getting hurt more, and recovering slower. On that play, however, he was going for the big play, trying to jump the route. Stupid yes, but doesn't show lack of effort, or talent. As I said, He may no longer have the make up speed, but that play proved nothing except that he can be fooled. That's always been the case.

He was very good the first half, and pretty bad the 2nd last year. He was nicked up last year as well. Think it was a high ankle sprain. Just make sure Cro fully heals before he comes back. I'd rather have him healthy for 8 games, than 80% for 15. An 80% Cro is a lousy player. He needs to be able to make up for his mistakes with his speed, and reach, because he is going to make mistakes.

Maybe he just needed to be hungry to play hard... he played great for us at first and fantastic when Revis went down, then he got paid and regressed, got cut and played great for peanuts with Zona, now he has been paid again and the jury is out, the less he is paid the better he plays...   so cut his salary

You guys realize the rules are designed for WRs to score, right?

He got beat. In the first half of game 1, when every team across the league was knocking off rust.

We won. We allowed 10 points. 

Give the team some time to finish gelling before bugging out.

Maybe he just needed to be hungry to play hard... he played great for us at first and fantastic when Revis went down, then he got paid and regressed, got cut and played great for peanuts with Zona, now he has been paid again and the jury is out, the less he is paid the better he plays...   so cut his salary

LMAO! Great perspective.

Gotta disagree with you on this one. I watched that Mic'd up clip, Bowles was shouting at Cro from the sideline & Cro probably didn't hear him on the field between the crowd noise and everything else. This wasn't Cro ignoring his coach, he just got beat.

It was pretty cool though seeing how Bowles himself recognized the play (and a couple others)- shows his smarts  

unless he guesses on every play and they just show the two times he got it right!

Archived