Sammy Watkins unhappy in Buffalo

Matt39

Unofficial cheerleader  :D

Kudos to you Jeanie. You come on to a Jets message board, have flaming arrows shot at you from dozens of rival fans and always keep your composure. You are always, polite and respectful, and keep coming back. You are truly a great Bills fan and I respect you for supporting your team and having the fortitude to withstand the criticism.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's cool and all, but Rex engineered the Shady deal and handpicked Tyrod Taylor, did he not?  Some semblance of knowledge of what you're doing is necessary if you're going to pick the players you bring in.  I get the whole idea that the HC needs to be the CEO and not necessarily involved in the day-to-day stuff.  But the best HC's are able to step in when necessary.  Bowles strikes me as the type that can do that when needed.

Sounds like coachy type activities, and all that kind of stuff

Apparently,  Greg Roman addressed Sammy's concern right away.  Then,  Sammy got injured and was out.   He should see a lot more targets Sunday.

And then two weeks later Sammy went to his agent and they both went to the press.

So apparently Roman thinks he addressed their concerns.

Apparently in Buffalo this translates to being happy

I think one can be frustrated but still like their job.    When I was in sales,  I became frustrated because of the amount of time it took to close a sale.  This didn't mean I was unhappy with my job,  

:man answers phone: "Hello?"

Jeanie: "Hi, this is Jeanie with SuperVac and I'm calling today to offer you an amazing deal on the amazing SuperVac 3000....

Man: "God no. Those are awful, horrible machines."

Jeanie: "No, they're great."

Man: "Literally every review ever written about those vacuums has destroyed it, saying it's awful. It's documented everywhere you look."

Jeanie: "That's not true at all. It says right here on this flyer from SuperVac that it's amazing."

Man: :click:

I think one can be frustrated but still like their job.    When I was in sales,  I became frustrated because of the amount of time it took to close a sale.  This didn't mean I was unhappy with my job,  

:Man answers phone: "Hello?"

Jeanie: "Hi, this is Jeanie from SuperVac and I'm calling today to offer you an amazing deal on the amazing SuperVac 3000."

Man: "We actually purchased a SuperVac 3000 and it exploded in my living room, killing my wife and dog."

Jeanie: "That sounds like something Mike Rodak would say."

Man: "Who?"

Jeanie: :click:

Kudos to you Jeanie. You come on to a Jets message board, have flaming arrows shot at you from dozens of rival fans and always keep your composure. You are always, polite and respectful, and keep coming back. You are truly a great Bills fan and I respect you for supporting your team and having the fortitude to withstand the criticism.

Thank you TJ.  I joined this forum shortly after Rex Ryan was hired by the Bills. I wanted to see what the Jets' fans had to say.  I grew to enjoy posting here so I decided to stay.   As a member of a rival's forum,  I anticipate much of the criticism I get.  I don't take anything personal .  I really like  the Buffalo Bills and have been a fan for a long, long time.  Thank you again for your kind post.

And then two weeks later Sammy went to his agent and they both went to the press.

So apparently Roman thinks he addressed their concerns.

Apparently in Buffalo this translates to being happy

I read a lot of articles about this today.  Apparently, Sammy got the attention of Rex Ryan, Sanjay Lal as well as Greg Roman.  All have said that Sammy will receive more targets.

good info, this should help the bengals gameplan

Larz:  It doesn't make much of a difference.  This may be the only time you hear me say this during the season.  The Bills are not going to win on Sunday.  My only hope is that there are no further injuries.  They should really keep McCoy, Watkins and T-Mobile out until after the bye week.

Jeanie: "Hi, this is Jeanie with SuperVac and I'm calling today to offer you an amazing deal on the amazing SuperVac 3000....

Man: "Literally every review ever written about those vacuums has destroyed it, saying it's awful. It's documented everywhere you look."

Jeanie: "That's not true at all. It says right here on this flyer from SuperVac that it's amazing."

I said it before and I'll say it again.  Tom,  you're the best.  :)

:Man answers phone: "Hello?"

Jeanie: "Hi, this is Jeanie from SuperVac and I'm calling today to offer you an amazing deal on the amazing SuperVac 3000."

Man: "We actually purchased a SuperVac 3000 and it exploded in my living room, killing my wife and dog."

Jeanie: "That sounds like something Mike Rodak would say."

Man: "Who?"

Jeanie: :click:

ROFLMBO:D

I read a lot of articles about this today.  Apparently, Sammy got the attention of Rex Ryan, Sanjay Lal as well as Greg Roman.  All have said that Sammy will receive more targets.

So the HC buckled under to pressure from his prima donna WR and his agent?

Good move Rex.  Bellichick would sit him or give him 0 targets for shooting his mouth off and complaining to the press.  Seriously, how can any of this be a good thing? 

“Everybody looks at you getting zero catches, zero yards but when you look on film 90 percent of the time you’re open,” said Watkins, who is represented by Eugene Parker. “I understand that these guys are young and they need some time to trust me. Once we get that trust, it’ll be different. But for me, I need the ball at least 10 times — I need 10 targets — and I’ll be fine with however many yards I get. And that’s what I addressed in talking with my agent. We reached out to a couple people and tried to pull some strings like, ‘Hey, I need my targets. You came up to draft me and I’m not getting targets — that’s a problem. You’re making me look bad and you’re making yourself look bad. Why not make both of us look good?’”

“You really just put it on film," Watkins said, "and go to the coach like, ‘Hey, I’m getting open. What’s the deal here?’ Don’t be an (expletive) about it, just go talk to him about the situation.

"I see the bigger picture. I enjoy spreading the ball around. It makes my job easier. But at the same time, for a guy you go up in the draft to take as your No. 1 receiver, you would love those 15 targets that Julio gets, those 20 targets that Odell gets. Of course I’d have 100 yards every game and a TD, if I’m getting 20 targets."

Make no doubt about: Watkins would love to square off with Cincinnati's Green. Relish it.

The beauty in a conversation with Watkins is that he never hides from comparisons. Where other NFL receivers would deflect such a narrative, Watkins doesn't flinch. He makes eye contact and answers directly. Yes, Watkins realizes the name "Odell Beckham Jr." will follow him his entire career. Because Beckham, of course, is the receiver the Bills could’ve drafted by staying put at ninth overall.

Beckham — with a punch or two along the way — has asserted himself as a phenom, a one hand-catching human highlight. He also has a two-time Super Bowl MVP in Eli Manning at quarterback throwing him the ball 11 times per game.

Watkins? He's had Kyle Orton, Manuel and Taylor and is averaging seven targets per game. In time, Orton took a few more chances in close coverage and it paid off.

“I understand that these guys are young," Watkins said. "What you really have to look at is in five or six years, no, they’re not going to be Eli but they’re going to be elite. When you look at Eli, he might be out of the league in four or five years. So when I’m healthy and I’m going into my years, I’ll have a top quarterback who can throw the ball. So that’s how I look at these guys.

“If you take away Eli, I don’t see another quarterback stepping in and making those reads and making those checks at the line. Once these guys grow the next three or four years, if they’re still here, you’ll definitely see those high numbers.”

“Don’t be scared to make plays," Watkins said. "I think they’re young and they don’t want to make that mistake."

“I was told, ‘Look, you’re going to get the targets that you need. You’re going to start getting 100 yards every game,’” Watkins said. “That’s really the focus: winning. If I get 80, 90, 100 yards, we’re winning the majority of our games. That helps, not only me, but the whole offense click. Then I start getting more double-coverage and you run the ball to the right and Percy’s going over the top. That’s the biggest thing.”

Last week, with zero hesitation, Bills cornerback Stephon Gilmore claimed that Beckham was no Watkins. The one-liner raised eyebrows outside of Western New York, but Gilmore has seen Watkins at his best. In camp, when he was healthy, Watkins hauled in acrobatic catches over the lockdown corner.

“That’s the bad part,” Watkins said. “Everybody knows. It’s just, we’ve got to get it clicking.”

So the HC buckled under to pressure from his prima donna WR and his agent?

Good move Rex.  Bellichick would sit him or give him 0 targets for shooting his mouth off and complaining to the press.  Seriously, how can any of this be a good thing? 

Rex never talked to Sammy' agent.

Just because it doesn't pick up dirt does not mean it's not a good vacuum

Rex never talked to Sammy' agent.

????

His agent made remarks through the media.  He put the pressure on Rex and the Bills to get the ball into his clients hands to keep him happy.  Sammy didn't talk to Rex either, he also pressured the Bills by going through the press.  Rex should have responded with a "we'll make the call, not an agent".  Should have nipped this as soon as it happened.  The inmates arent supposed to run the asylum.  

No doubt Sammy made a mistake by going to the media.  As I mentioned in an earlier post,  Sammy is interviewed quite often by the press.  His interviews are always positive.   He screwed up once here.  The kid has been benched (due to injuries). He anxious and wants to get back on the field.  Think we should give him a pass on this one.  

Archived