Is Today's NFL All About The QB?

TuscanyTile2

We know it is but is the ONLY way to win to have a good QB (rather than mediocre like Fitz)?  Is having a dominant D a potential path to a Superbowl?  If we were the '85 Bears or '00 Ravens of course it would be.  But barring that type of defensive greatness are we just waiting around for a QB to show up?

Nope. Teams win without truly elite quarterbacks all the time. Flacco, Wilson, Eli, etc. Teams win by playing complete football.

Would the Patriots have won the Superbowl last season if they didn't have Revis?

The QBs you mention are top 10 QBs.  iF you say no..please tell us who is in the top 10 if they aren't 

QB is still the most important position by far and the Pats have won many SBs without Revis. 

The QBs you mention are top 10 QBs.  iF you say no..please tell us who is in the top 10 if they aren't 

QB is still the most important position by far and the Pats have won many SBs without Revis. 

Those guys are in the bottom half of the top 10 (Wilson is definitely the best of the bunch). Not elite quarterbacks. There's only 2 in today's NFL - Brady and Rodgers. Guys like Kaepernick and Hasselbeck also went to Superbowls.

I do not argue that quarterback isn't the most important position in the NFL... but this is the ultimate team game and just because you have a quarterback doesn't mean you're guarunteed a win or a championship. It takes complete football teams to win.

Let's not forget how the Patriots won their previous 3 titles. They were very defensive driven with strong run games. In 2007 when they were essentially purely quarterback driven they fell short to a team that played more complete football. When they became more well rounded and got themselves a defense again they won again last year.

It's easy as Jet fans who haven't had a quarterback in so many years to think that it's purely about the quarterback, especially when we've had so many good defenses in the green and white.. but it's not.

I don't think fitz played mediocre today..if Marshall catches that td pass and Cumberland makes a play on a great throw in the end zone, that's FOUR touchdowns

+1

Fitz played awesome today. Outside of his fumble, we couldn't have asked for much better.

I don't think fitz played mediocre today..if Marshall catches that td pass and Cumberland makes a play on a great throw in the end zone, that's FOUR touchdowns

I think that Fitz played about as well as he can play, and it was not enough. He is just too limited to really open up the offense and score points consistently. He has to play almost perfectly for us to score. Sad thing, Jets staff knows this as was very evidenced by not even trying to score with 2 minutes and 3 timeouts before the half.

This again? Of course. 

Short attention spans, a need to appeal to a broad audience, and what happens when guys like Jerry Jones and Robert Kraft are invested in DFS sites. 

This league is a shell of its former self.

I agree w/ you on this.  I still watch the NFL but I really think the quality has fallen significantly.  It's much more "arena league" now.

It's always been a QB's league. Bart Starr, Terry Bradshaw, Roger Staubach, Joe Montana. The rules have changed a bit. The better QB can win the tough games for a team like Brady did today. That throw over the middle for the TD was a Bob Gibson fastball.

Fitz played awesome today. This is on the secondary and d line. d line had zero pass rush in the second half ... against a rookie OL (I suspect the pats line was holding all day)

It's more about passing and the QB than every before. 

The Patriots ran the ball 6 times today (technically 9, but I'm not counting three of Brady's scrambles). That's insane and Arena-League like. QBs like Brady and Rodgers rarely throw picks because the rules allow them to do shorter passes and the receivers can get more open. Plus, they can play longer because of less hits they take. It's silly in my opinion, but it's the way the league is heading.Hopefully we can find our next quarterback in Petty.

Those guys are in the bottom half of the top 10 (Wilson is definitely the best of the bunch). Not elite quarterbacks. There's only 2 in today's NFL - Brady and Rodgers. Guys like Kaepernick and Hasselbeck also went to Superbowls.

I do not argue that quarterback isn't the most important position in the NFL... but this is the ultimate team game and just because you have a quarterback doesn't mean you're guarunteed a win or a championship. It takes complete football teams to win.

Let's not forget how the Patriots won their previous 3 titles. They were very defensive driven with strong run games. In 2007 when they were essentially purely quarterback driven they fell short to a team that played more complete football. When they became more well rounded and got themselves a defense again they won again last year.

It's easy as Jet fans who haven't had a quarterback in so many years to think that it's purely about the quarterback, especially when we've had so many good defenses in the green and white.. but it's not.

Fair enough...id go on record stating that a  QB from 7 to 14 is all we need.  Our current team, with a solid QB like Wilson is a SB contender. 

Fair enough...id go on record stating that a  QB from 7 to 14 is all we need.  Our current team, with a solid QB like Wilson is a SB contender. 

we could win with a cutler or even a kapernick. meanwhile tannehill was 18/19 passing with 282 yards and 4 TD's today, and people are saying fitzpatrick with his 56% completion percentage and fumbling played a good game LOL

we could win with a cutler or even a kapernick. meanwhile tannehill was 18/19 passing with 282 yards and 4 TD's today, and people are saying fitzpatrick with his 56% completion percentage and fumbling played a good game LOL

ask Marshall about Culter, hence why he is with the jets now, and kapernick can only throw the ball one way and doesn't read defensives well

ask Marshall about Culter, hence why he is with the jets now, and kapernick can only throw the ball one way and doesn't read defensives well

either one of those guys can win the game with their arm. this jets team is good enough to be a serious contender if we had a QB who can push the ball downfield late in the game

either one of those guys can win the game with their arm. this jets team is good enough to be a serious contender if we had a QB who can push the ball downfield late in the game

What superbowl was Culter ever in? And he has played on some good chicago bears defensive teams. He wins some games with his arm and loses alot with his arms, check his ints....Kapernick does not win any game with his arm, it's more with his legs but since nfl defenses have caught up with the read option, all of Kapernick's weakness are getting exposed. If jet fans are complaining about the QB play now. I will bet my house you will have thread on top of threads complaining about these two at QB.

Jets lost that game in the final 10 minutes & Fitzy would have been the hero if that azzhole referee called a blatant pass interference on Cumberland (I have no idea what the ref was looking at? On replay the defender clearly pulls his arm down so he can't catch the ball way before the ball arrives & Fouts is extolling it as a great play). He hit Marshall right on his hands for a TD & he flat out dropped it (your big players have to make clutch plays at the end of the game, Amendola made a much harder catch on the go ahead TD. Fitz played good enough to win with a below average Ivory & run game.

Fitz came through in the final 10 but no one else did. Jets didn't close & they lost. Like Dennis Green once said, "we had em & we let em off the hook". Fitz didn't give up the 3rd & 17.

It's always been a QB's league. Bart Starr, Terry Bradshaw, Roger Staubach, Joe Montana. The rules have changed a bit. The better QB can win the tough games for a team like Brady did today. That throw over the middle for the TD was a Bob Gibson fastball.

Bart Starr?? He never had more then 16 td passes in a season or passed for 2500 yds.. Those were the days when QB's could get hit and DB's could really cover W/R's.. Terry Bradshaw never had a 3,000 yd season until  after the rule changes in 1978..Same with Staubach hell Vinny has more passing yardage and tds then Montana.. Today all the rules favor the offense and protecting the top QB's it wasn't always that way..

Bart Starr?? He never had more then 16 td passes in a season or passed for 2500 yds.. Those were the days when QB's could get hit and DB's could really cover W/R's.. Terry Bradshaw never had a 3,000 yd season until  after the rule changes in 1978..Same with Staubach hell Vinny has more passing yardage and tds then Montana.. Today all the rules favor the offense and protecting the top QB's it wasn't always that way..

....and those were the top QB's of their day. Always been about the QB. Always will be. The Jets game once again proved the QB who is better can win the game for the team.

On the Cumberland play the defender grabbed his arm without even looking back for the football right in front of the ref no way he catches that ball. The officiating in this game was a disgrace.

Archived