the real reason why the jets lost to the pats

ylekram

The game was over when we decided to sit on the ball at the end of the 1st half.  That was herman edwards, eric mangini and rex rolled into 1.  

We coached scared and lost because of it.  

And its not an isolated incident.  We sat on the ball in the 2nd half of the colts game and needed a sick late drive by fitz to put that one away.

Bowles need to wake up and realize that u need to score to win.  The days of getting a lead and playing d are over.  Bellichek realized that a long time ago.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

his offensive game plan worked besides the run game. fitz= 300 yards, 5 scoring drives, zero interceptions, on the road. not sure how much more you want considering the offense was 1 dimentional, on the road, against the super bowl champs

The Pats letting up a ton of yards is a weekly occurrence, they play bend don't break force you to kick FG's, everyone gains yards on them inside the 20's it's like clock work every week.

Todd Bowles coached soft and scared?   I don't think so.  Play aggressive?  Yeah that helps until they make adjustments.  It's hard to fathom this crap but Brady is like Michael Jordan on the field.  Whatever game plan you come up with, he will eventually figure a way to beat it. In the two losses to the Giants in the Super Bowl, the GMen had a great game plan but in the 4th Brady got his offense down the field and scored late in both games.  Manning mania is what did the Pats in.  Last year he looked bad vs Seattle's defense and in the 4th he carved them up like he did to the Jets on Sunday.  The man doesn't throw picks and you never see the games that they loss look like blow outs. Bowles is just another head coach or defensive coordinator that falls victim to this dude.    

They are not invincible but there really is no blue print for how to stop this dude just like you couldn't stop MJ.  You can only hope to slow him down and then play weel enough on offense to beat the cheaters.

Fire away!

there are many reasons posted on this message board describing why the jets lost sunday. offense couldn't keep up, its brady "why even bother", special teams, dropped passes, officiating, etc. the list goes on and on

but the real reason is that bowles just got out coached by the best in the business. belichick came in with a masterful game plan and executed it. take away Brandon marshall, take away the jets running game (although, mostly thru injury) make Fitzpatrick beat you, and keep brady upright. he succeeded.

part of bowles game plan went to hell with the injury to ivory. I am sure he planned on establishing the run. the other plan should have been to shut down brady and which that didn't happen. decent job early on, but when tom started getting into his groove, bowles didn't make the proper adjustments. kept a tired defensive front rushing all game with no blitz help. in the 4th quarter, they might as well not of been playing

to beat brady, you need to pressure him. something the jets didn't do well after early on in the game. ya some say rex has success with coverage against brady, but that's when the pats oline was virtually impenetrable. now the pats oline is make shift, and I saw very little blitzing.

some say that the pats oline was holding all game. fine. you send 1 more rusher than they can hold. adjustments

he coached a soft & scared game when an aggressive game plan was needed. very apparent at the end of the half. he could have called a time out at 2:35 with 2 time outs left after the pats drive had stalled. way too conservative. you cannot play the pats at home with this mindset. an aggressive game plan wins this game

i really like todd bowles. he gets to redeem himself the next time and i think he will. hell, maybe 2 more times. but as it stands, i hope he learns. you can beat most of the teams in this league, with the talent the jets have, with limited mistake football. to beat the pats, you have to be aggressive

now on to oakland

I agree. I think Bowles was exposed a little bit as having a lot to learn about beating the Patriots. You MUST be aggressive because they will be. The Pats would have NEVER wasted the two minutes they had in the first half down by three. The Jets gave away the possession and used up all but 12 seconds and the Pats didn't take a knee. You cannot give potential points away in that manner. I also like Bowles and want him to be successful, but you can't show any weakness against those guys.

Ivory getting nicked was a huge blow. Chris had been explosive running inside out & getting the edge. Whatever he hurt it completely took away his burst. Once BB realized Ivory was hurt the Pats defense didn't have to defend the edges because our backup is plodding horse Stacy who's zero threat to get outside. Then they squeezed everything inside & started batting passes down. We still came on dropped TD away from being up 8 & anything could have happened, no one really knows.

Todd Bowles coached soft and scared?   I don't think so.  Play aggressive?  Yeah that helps until they make adjustments.  It's hard to fathom this crap but Brady is like Michael Jordan on the field.  Whatever game plan you come up with, he will eventually figure a way to beat it. In the two losses to the Giants in the Super Bowl, the GMen had a great game plan but in the 4th Brady got his offense down the field and scored late in both games.  Manning mania is what did the Pats in.  Last year he looked bad vs Seattle's defense and in the 4th he carved them up like he did to the Jets on Sunday.  The man doesn't throw picks and you never see the games that they loss look like blow outs. Bowles is just another head coach or defensive coordinator that falls victim to this dude.    

They are not invincible but there really is no blue print for how to stop this dude just like you couldn't stop MJ.  You can only hope to slow him down and then play weel enough on offense to beat the cheaters.

Fire away!

Agree. Excellent post!

We along with the rest of the NFL has seen this exact game play out many times before. The team with the Brady, Manning or Rogers behind center wins these type games the majority of the time.

It's a message board so let our resident armchair Head Coaches have some fun I guess by attacking Bowles.

Agree. Excellent post!

We along with the rest of the NFL has seen this exact game play out many times before. The team with the Brady, Manning or Rogers behind center wins these type games the majority of the time.

It's a message board so let our resident armchair Head Coaches have some fun I guess by attacking Bowles.

Agree. Excellent post!

nobody is attacking bowles. don't be so dramatic. he played the pats soft. he lost because of it. hopefully he learns from his mistake. that is all

sincerely

arm chair gm

there are many reasons posted on this message board describing why the jets lost sunday. offense couldn't keep up, its brady "why even bother", special teams, dropped passes, officiating, etc. the list goes on and on

but the real reason is that bowles just got out coached by the best in the business. belichick came in with a masterful game plan and executed it. take away Brandon marshall, take away the jets running game (although, mostly thru injury) make Fitzpatrick beat you, and keep brady upright. he succeeded.

part of bowles game plan went to hell with the injury to ivory. I am sure he planned on establishing the run. the other plan should have been to shut down brady and which that didn't happen. decent job early on, but when tom started getting into his groove, bowles didn't make the proper adjustments. kept a tired defensive front rushing all game with no blitz help. in the 4th quarter, they might as well not of been playing

to beat brady, you need to pressure him. something the jets didn't do well after early on in the game. ya some say rex has success with coverage against brady, but that's when the pats oline was virtually impenetrable. now the pats oline is make shift, and I saw very little blitzing.

some say that the pats oline was holding all game. fine. you send 1 more rusher than they can hold. adjustments

he coached a soft & scared game when an aggressive game plan was needed. very apparent at the end of the half. he could have called a time out at 2:35 with 2 time outs left after the pats drive had stalled. way too conservative. you cannot play the pats at home with this mindset. an aggressive game plan wins this game

i really like todd bowles. he gets to redeem himself the next time and i think he will. hell, maybe 2 more times. but as it stands, i hope he learns. you can beat most of the teams in this league, with the talent the jets have, with limited mistake football. to beat the pats, you have to be aggressive

now on to oakland

I don't know about all of that.  It's easier to "coach" when you have Tom Brady.  I mean, do you think Belicheat would have thrown it 95% of the time if Mark Sanchez was his QB?

The Jets converted a ton of third and longs on the defensive mastermind.  

The Pats letting up a ton of yards is a weekly occurrence, they play bend don't break force you to kick FG's, everyone gains yards on them inside the 20's it's like clock work every week.

Their defense isn't any good.  They force you to kick FGs?  What did they do to make Marshall drop that TD pass?  How about the pass interference on Cumberland? That's not good defense.  That's luck. 

Other teams usually make mistakes trying to play catch up with the Patriots offense.  Their defense isn't good.  Look at how sh*t they are in tight games.  They choked against the Giants twice.  They let the Seahawks drive the length of the field against them in the last SB.  They would have blown that game, too, if not for the moronic play calling by Bevel.

Bowles was awful in the last 4 or so minutes of the game and I think was just lost in the moment, but there was no issue with coaching much before that. I thought the Jets came in with a solid gameplan and used some pretty unexpected players to try to catch NE off guard. The Jets did great tackling the receivers as soon as they caught the ball which is always big against New England. That probably helped with causing some of the drops too because usually these guys drag with nobody around them for a few yards.They didnt do a great job adjusting to the Patriots halftime changes, specifically Amendola being used more late.

But I cant pin that loss on coaching. If Marshall catches that ball its probably a different result and that has nothing to do with Bowles. The Patriots are just a better team. Their receiving core meshes perfectly with Brady and Bradys style negates just about any pass rush unless you have one of those elite type edge rushers. They have run this bend but dont break defense for about 12 years now and teams always get stalled out by it.  

well part of what you say is true, but with Fitz there literally is not another game plan he can roll out and he cannot do anything to get NE to change the way they are game planning against him.

Bowles was very stubborn and quite uncreative in how he tried to create pressure in the game, and was way way too conservative.

This is my problem with Bowles. He is ultra conservative, especially with the lead in hand. And at times, he thinks it would be cool to blitz 9 and leave Gronk unaccounted for on a drive Jets couldn't afford to give up anything more than a FG.

So as much as we love Bowles, he hasn't proven to be a genius just yet. Yes, we won 4 games, but they were against sh*t teams and/or with lots of injuries, while Mr. Woody allowed him to spend what like $200+ mil in 2 weeks? This is a very talented roster all around, save for an average/below average QB and TE. OL - Check. RBs - Check. WRs - Check. DL - Check. LBs - Check. Secondary - Check. We have a decent kicker too and Quigley isn't nearly as bad as we think, seeing how awful Weatherford was.

Bowles has the Best DL and possibly the best secondary in the league right now. With all that, Brady had ZERO issues moving the ball in the 4th quarter against a fairly rested D that hadn't seen the field much in the first 3 quarters. So yes, his "exotic" blitzes didn't do anything to Brady, who not only killed us in the air, but also on the ground, which is very rare for that cheater. Hopefully this is a huge learning experience for the rookie HC. We do, however, tend to give him extra undue credit.

This is my problem with Bowles. He is ultra conservative, especially with the lead in hand. And at times, he thinks it would be cool to blitz 9 and leave Gronk unaccounted for on a drive Jets couldn't afford to give up anything more than a FG.

So as much as we love Bowles, he hasn't proven to be a genius just yet. Yes, we won 4 games, but they were against sh*t teams and/or with lots of injuries, while Mr. Woody allowed him to spend what like $200+ mil in 2 weeks? This is a very talented roster all around, save for an average/below average QB and TE. OL - Check. RBs - Check. WRs - Check. DL - Check. LBs - Check. Secondary - Check. We have a decent kicker too and Quigley isn't nearly as bad as we think, seeing how awful Weatherford was.

Bowles has the Best DL and possibly the best secondary in the league right now. With all that, Brady had ZERO issues moving the ball in the 4th quarter against a fairly rested D that hadn't seen the field much in the first 3 quarters. So yes, his "exotic" blitzes didn't do anything to Brady, who not only killed us in the air, but also on the ground, which is very rare for that cheater. Hopefully this is a huge learning experience for the rookie HC. We do, however, tend to give him extra undue credit.

Im optimistic about Bowles and think he is an upgrade over Rex, but I would have preferred an offensive minded guy that would be a little more balanced. Bowles has gotten more and more conservative as the year has gone on.

Most of the people I interact with daily openly admit Brady gets "great QB" affordances, that the Pats coach to hold more than could ever be flagged in a game, that they get an advantage for not being flagged for those pick plays, and that their corners get away with murder. They're all Pats fans. Some are reluctant to admit it, but they do.

Well, that settles it.

Well, that settles it.

lol, I'm not suggesting it does... you providing some anecdotal data.

All it actually settles is that I Pats fan demo I interact with is not the same as the demo that calls their radio station and trolls rival fan sites.

Brady is the best player in the league he will get the calls. MJ got the calls. Kobe got the calls. Jeter got the benefit of balls/strikes. It is human nature. Are we really discussing this? 

Instead of lying to ourselves we need to admit that Brady is awesome, the coaching staff is elite and we just need to get better to compete. Saying they win only because they cheat, get calls, have super powers, etc. is just a loser's mentality. They are a great team but not unbeatable.

lol, I'm not suggesting it does... you providing some anecdotal data.

All it actually settles is that I Pats fan demo I interact with is not the same as the demo that calls their radio station and trolls rival fan sites.

Maybe they are agreeing with you so youll quit complaining every day?

Just one question.

If Brady is releasing the ball in 2 - 3 seconds how can OL be holding at the rate the whiners claim?

Just one question.

If Brady is releasing the ball in 2 - 3 seconds how can OL be holding at the rate the whiners claim?

I've played and it takes less than a second to hold. But every team "holds" I don't think NE does any more than any other team or any less. 

Just one question.

lol, I don't complain - my everyday interactions in life are not message board posts. I have a great deal of tact, I let them bring up the game, let them talk about what they saw, let them ask me my thoughts, and then it's usually "teams cannot come into Foxboro and make any mistakes" and then I'll use that as a platform for comments like "Marshall can't drop that touchdown", the "defense can't give up a 3rd and 17", to which they agree, and "the official can't miss that PI call on Cumberland", to which an honest fan usually says "yeah, we got away with one there", and eventually I go the route of "it's remarkable, Bill basically coaches the OL to hold from the snap, because Brady gets the ball out so fast the officials don't have time to call it", and more often than not they agree... because it's true. Criticizing them getting away with the holds is a form of acknowledging Belichick's detail-oriented coaching. Smart fans can't argue with that angle.

Agree. Excellent post!

Yep and with all of that, we were a Marshall dropped touchdown from being up 8 points in the fourth.  Sometimes it is in the execution on the field. 

Who does Brady have problems moving the ball against?

Gronk was obviously a blown assignment and Bowles didn't fumble on the opening possession...Fitz did. Bowles also did not drop a sure TD in the 4th quarter....Marshall did. Bowles also did not pull up lame on his first carry of the game.....Ivory did.  Bowles didn't average around 30 yds a punt....his punter did.  I don't think Bowles is getting too much credit. Some times it comes  down to the players executing and tipping your cap to an upper echelon QB.

Bowles seems like a coach whose conservative plan with a lead is due to knowing he doesn't have a very good QB.

But again show me the list of HC's who consistently shut down Brady for four quarters. I'm waiting.

Just one question.

you're seriously asking how someone can hold in 2 - 3 seconds? 

Yep and with all of that, we were a Marshall dropped touchdown from being up 8 points in the fourth.  Sometimes it is in the execution on the field. 

it's always easier to say it's the HC.  Or that he's too conservative.  Or. Defensive minded HC.  Much easier to point to one person, someone no one has a clue of what he contributes or takes from a Sunday's score.  

Bowles is not ultra conservative.  That's wrong.  

Gronk was obviously a blown assignment and Bowles didn't fumble on the opening possession...Fitz did. Bowles also did not drop a sure TD in the 4th quarter....Marshall did. Bowles also did not pull up lame on his first carry of the game.....Ivory did.  Bowles didn't average around 30 yds a punt....his punter did.  I don't think Bowles is getting too much credit. Some times it comes  down to the players executing and tipping your cap to an upper echelon QB.

Bowles seems like a coach whose conservative plan with a lead is due to knowing he doesn't have a very good QB.

But again show me the list of HC's who consistently shut down Brady for four quarters. I'm waiting.

show me a list of teams that have the talent of this defense. front and back. I'm waiting

teams that apply pressure to brady

said qb put up 300 yards,  zero interceptions, 5 scoring drives, zero running game, on the road, playing the super bowl champs. seems adequate enough to me

said qb put up 300 yards,  zero interceptions, 5 scoring drives, zero running game, on the road, playing the super bowl champs. seems adequate enough to me

Pats defense sucks.  Who doesn't move the ball on them?  Are you saying Fitz is a very good QB?

Still waiting on that list of HC's who consistently shut Brady down sport.... Pete Carroll's 2014 Seahawks?.....Bills defense 2014 or 15?  Did those great Ravens defenses consistently shut Brady down?  I'm still waiting coach. 

Pats defense sucks.  Who doesn't move the ball on them?  Are you saying Fitz is a very good QB?

Still waiting on that list of HC's who consistently shut Brady down sport.... Pete Carroll's 2014 Seahawks?.....Bills defense 2014 or 15?  Did those great Ravens defenses consistently shut Brady down?  I'm still waiting coach. 

now I am coach? punk ass. I told you I am an arm chair gm. get it right. the answer to your question is nobody beats the pats consistently. thats why they are 5 time champs. but the last time I checked, they have never had an undefeated season. and yes, I do think Fitzpatrick played a very good game, so there's that.

when you play a team that lost its top 2 corners, and you have top receivers, the game plan should be to exploit that

when you play a team that lost its top run defenders, and you have a top running game,the game plan should be to exploit that

when you play a team that has a back up qb, you exploit that

then answer me this, why did bowles not call more blitzes against an offensive line that started its right tackle at left tackle, 2 4th round rookie guards, 1 second string rookie center, and a practice squad player at right tackle? especially in the 4th quarter when the d-lineman were obviously gassed to even the most novice eyes.

there is blame to go around for this loss. lets not exclude the main culprit

and I am still waiting for the list of defenses that have the horses to stop tom brady like the jets have.

now I am coach? punk ass. I told you I am an arm chair gm. get it right. the answer to your question is nobody beats the pats consistently. thats why they are 5 time champs. but the last time I checked, they have never had an undefeated season. and yes, I do think Fitzpatrick played a very good game, so there's that.

when you play a team that lost its top 2 corners, and you have top receivers, the game plan should be to exploit that

when you play a team that lost its top run defenders, and you have a top running game,the game plan should be to exploit that

when you play a team that has a back up qb, you exploit that

then answer me this, why did bowles not call more blitzes against an offensive line that started its right tackle at left tackle, 2 4th round rookie guards, 1 second string rookie center, and a practice squad player at right tackle? especially in the 4th quarter when the d-lineman were obviously gassed to even the most novice eyes.

there is blame to go around for this loss. lets not exclude the main culprit

and I am still waiting for the list of defenses that have the horses to stop tom brady like the jets have.

2014 Hawks, Bills just to name a few defenses as good if not better that Brady has beaten.  Bowles lost his RB and a big part of his game plan on the first play from scrimmage. You've complained about the missed assignment blitz that let Gronk score in the 4th and then out of the other side of your mouth you want more blitzing. As for the passing game, I think we did attack their corners when Fitz wasn't letting Ninkovich bat his passes down..

The Jets D  against the pass sucked for most of Sunday's game. The Pats dropped passes made it a close game. Our piss poor punting didn't help either in giving the Pats good field position. .

We just disagree and that's ok.

2014 Hawks, Bills just to name a few defenses as good if not better that Brady has beaten.  Bowles lost his RB and a big part of his game plan on the first play from scrimmage. You've complained about the missed assignment blitz that let Gronk score in the 4th and then out of the other side of your mouth you want more blitzing. As for the passing game, I think we did attack their corners when Fitz wasn't letting Ninkovich bat his passes down..

The Jets D  against the pass sucked for most of Sunday's game. The Pats dropped passes made it a close game. Our piss poor punting didn't help either in giving the Pats good field position. .

We just disagree and that's ok.

I never complained about the bolded. not one time. you have me confused with someone else. i only stated what it was.a blown assignment.I wouldn't use the 2014 hawks as a good example. besides a really good play by butler and bad throw, the hawks coaching staff had as much to do with the pats winning as the pats. kinda fits my argument more than yours. plus the bills and hawks have good defenses, but they don't have the depth on the front and the depth on the back like the jets do

the only real complaint I had about the offense was at the end of the half. 2:35 potentially with 2 timeouts. at least play for the 1st down. they might as well have took a knee. otherwise, I thought the offense, barring a few mistakes, played a valiant game considering there was no running game. but I don't think bowles has much to do with the offense. that's gaileys show. of course I could be wrong, but I don't think so

to beat brady in his house, you need to pressure him. the pats make shift oline gave brady time. again and again. no pressure on that line= my complaint about bowles. there really is no excuse. the defense should have been feasting on bradys ass all game

Archived