QBs we're linked to...

Integrity28

Where is the Kaepernick being likely talk from, your head? 

Bleacher Report's Jason Cole reports Colin Kaepernick's teammates want him benched so he can "clear his head."

Cole reports two 49ers texted him their desire to see Kaepernick benched after the offense failed to score a touchdown for the second time in as many games against the Rams. Kaepernick threw for just 162 yards on 41 attempts against St. Louis, and he is averaging just 4.4 yards per attempt over his last two games. Kaepernick could probably use some time out of the limelight, but it is unlikely backup Blaine Gabbert would have any more success behind a bad offensive line and without any real playmakers. The good news is the 49ers are bad enough to get a shot at the top quarterbacks in next year's draft.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bleacher Report's Jason Cole reports Colin Kaepernick's teammates want him benched so he can "clear his head."

Cole reports two 49ers texted him their desire to see Kaepernick benched after the offense failed to score a touchdown for the second time in as many games against the Rams. Kaepernick threw for just 162 yards on 41 attempts against St. Louis, and he is averaging just 4.4 yards per attempt over his last two games. Kaepernick could probably use some time out of the limelight, but it is unlikely backup Blaine Gabbert would have any more success behind a bad offensive line and without any real playmakers. The good news is the 49ers are bad enough to get a shot at the top quarterbacks in next year's draft.

I read that today too. So again I ask, where is the information that it is likely we will trade for Colin Kaepernick coming from? Because that article, is not an indication of that.

that doesn't make him available and w/ his contract I don't think there is any chance we could trade for him even if we wanted to.

My wish list:

1. Glennon (if he can be had for a 4th, which is in no way certain). He's in game shape and would be playing for a new contract. I'm sure he'd love to get off Tampa now. Would cost us virtually zero cap-wise, since he'd be taking the roster space of another minimum-salary player on the roster.

2. Orton. Hard to say, because I don't know what type of shape he's in and don't know if he's too far gone as far as being mentally checked-out of being a QB. I'd throw him $3M to mop up the season if he's willing and if he can be in game-shape within 2 weeks.

3. Daniel. For all I know he's the best of the 3, but of the top 3 he's also the biggest risk of being totally worthless in live action. At the same time, $4M is a high salary for a backup QB with his body of work (or his lack of a body of work) in meaningful snaps. So Reid thinks he was worth retaining at that level. We'd be on the hook for half that.

Other theoretical names:

- RGIII. Guarantee he's available and we could get him for next to nothing. Like a 7th rounder in 2017. We'd have to move some things around to make him fit under the cap this season. If he gets hurt, though, we're on the hook for his $16.2M salary next year. He might be willing to negotiate that down a little bit, in exchange for getting to play for a contender with a damn good receiving corps before getting cut by Washington in March, but I wouldn't expect much more than a nominal amount (and can hardly blame him, given his injury history). Not saying I like the move, given the risk, but technically he's an option.

- Schaub. OK, forget I said that. Other than the obvious (he's so terrible I'm sure we're better off with Geno), he's a veteran backup QB on a 2-6 team that's all but mathematically eliminated now (and who just lost Steve Smith, their only serious receiving threat, for the year). No way Ozzie would pass up on a "free" 6th rounder for a guy my spell check just tried to auto-correct to "Schlub" (no joke lol). 

- Sanchez! Technically we have to make this call if the Eagles are willing to part with him for a reasonable (read: low) pick. Despite my extreme dislike of him as a QB during his first stint here, and my equally extreme happiness when he was released, even I'd have to admit it would be a great story if this somehow turned into a success. He'd be pretty expensive since he'd get bumped up to the starter-money part of his Philly deal, not the backup one he's collecting presently. 

- Manziel. Another train wreck. Probably not much less of a prayer-gamble as Sanchez. Don't know what Cleveland's asking price is, but it's higher than it was when he was still in rehab. One of the few QBs available who (like Ryan Mallett) might actually be more dislikable than Geno Smith.

- Flynn, Josh Johnson, Ryan Mallett = I don't even care (and the Jets already said they're not interested in Mallett). They'd be here serving one purpose: make sure Petty doesn't see the field. If they liked Petty at all to play this season, they wouldn't be looking at either of these 2 scrubs. In fact, put Schaub on this list. 

My wish list:

1. Glennon (if he can be had for a 4th, which is in no way certain). He's in game shape and would be playing for a new contract. I'm sure he'd love to get off Tampa now. Would cost us virtually zero cap-wise, since he'd be taking the roster space of another minimum-salary player on the roster.

2. Orton. Hard to say, because I don't know what type of shape he's in and don't know if he's too far gone as far as being mentally checked-out of being a QB. I'd throw him $3M to mop up the season if he's willing and if he can be in game-shape within 2 weeks.

3. Daniel. For all I know he's the best of the 3, but of the top 3 he's also the biggest risk of being totally worthless in live action. At the same time, $4M is a high salary for a backup QB with his body of work (or his lack of a body of work) in meaningful snaps. So Reid thinks he was worth retaining at that level. We'd be on the hook for half that.

Other theoretical names:

- RGIII. Guarantee he's available and we could get him for next to nothing. Like a 7th rounder in 2017. We'd have to move some things around to make him fit under the cap this season. If he gets hurt, though, we're on the hook for his $16.2M salary next year. He might be willing to negotiate that down a little bit, in exchange for getting to play for a contender with a damn good receiving corps before getting cut by Washington in March, but I wouldn't expect much more than a nominal amount (and can hardly blame him, given his injury history). Not saying I like the move, given the risk, but technically he's an option.

- Schaub. OK, forget I said that. Other than the obvious (he's so terrible I'm sure we're better off with Geno), he's a veteran backup QB on a 2-6 team that's all but mathematically eliminated now (and who just lost Steve Smith, their only serious receiving threat, for the year). No way Ozzie would pass up on a "free" 6th rounder for a guy my spell check just tried to auto-correct to "Schlub" (no joke lol). 

- Sanchez! Technically we have to make this call if the Eagles are willing to part with him for a reasonable (read: low) pick. Despite my extreme dislike of him as a QB during his first stint here, and my equally extreme happiness when he was released, even I'd have to admit it would be a great story if this somehow turned into a success. He'd be pretty expensive since he'd get bumped up to the starter-money part of his Philly deal, not the backup one he's collecting presently. 

- Manziel. Another train wreck. Probably not much less of a prayer-gamble as Sanchez. Don't know what Cleveland's asking price is, but it's higher than it was when he was still in rehab. One of the few QBs available who (like Ryan Mallett) might actually be more dislikable than Geno Smith.

- Flynn, Josh Johnson, Ryan Mallett = I don't even care (and the Jets already said they're not interested in Mallett). They'd be here serving one purpose: make sure Petty doesn't see the field. If they liked Petty at all to play this season, they wouldn't be looking at either of these 2 scrubs. In fact, put Schaub on this list. 

No Schaub. Please, my heart can't handle it. And I will take Manziel before I watch Sanchez come back. That would just be too much if he came back, I would be forced to laugh as I cry into my cereal. Orton likes football as much as Tom Brady likes women, he doesn't. I'd rather see Kerley take snaps before I want to see Geno take one ever again. End of my rant.

I didnt post anywhere that he was AVAILABLE I posted an article linked to Kaepernick. 

The Jets are not linked to him. I had hoped to constrain this thread to rumors that actually link us to players, not bickering about Geno, and not more joewilly fapping over the same guys you fap over in every thread.

The Jets are not linked to him. I had hoped to constrain this thread to rumors that actually link us to players, not bickering about Geno, and not more joewilly fapping over the same guys you fap over in every thread.

Fap over nothing talk about football yes. 

I didnt initiate the Kaepernick talk. 

No Schaub. Please, my heart can't handle it. And I will take Manziel before I watch Sanchez come back. That would just be too much if he came back, I would be forced to laugh as I cry into my cereal. Orton likes football as much as Tom Brady likes women, he doesn't. I'd rather see Kerley take snaps before I want to see Geno take one ever again. End of my rant.

LOL!!

— The sellers: The 49ers, Bears and Texans are "open for business," according to CBS Sports. San Francisco reportedly is willing to entertain offers for offensive tackle Joe Staley and tight end Vernon Davis, among others.

The Browns are also believed to be open to dealing their best linemen, as well as a couple linebackers. Keep an eye on Cleveland. 

— Jets' quarterback debacle: Sunday's loss in Oakland included not one, but two injuries to New York quarterbacks. Ryan Fitzpatrick suffered torn ligaments in his left thumb, and Geno Smith's shoulder/abdomen area was hurt on a big hit. The Jets, after the game Sunday, were already calling teams about potential trades in case Fitzpatrick and/or Smith must miss time, according to Pro Football Talk

I would give up a 4th or 5th rounder to save our season and acquire a guy that will ultimately be here next year with Petty, when Fitz and Geno may not be.

Daniel has legitimate long-term starter potential and, if not for Reid having put his job in the hands of the awful Alex Smith, should be given the Chiefs job. You could justify paying a 4th+ a conditional for him.

My wish list:

Other theoretical names:

Sanchez coming back here to save the season would be so much fun. So, so, so much fun.

Daniel has legitimate long-term starter potential and, if not for Reid having put his job in the hands of the awful Alex Smith, should be given the Chiefs job. You could justify paying a 4th+ a conditional for him.

You don't give up a 4th round pick for a guy who would be your backup when you have another 4th round pick QB you're developing. 

Man you guys are going to be disappointed when you see what they bring in here lol. 

Funny if Cutler comes to the Jets after Marshall did.

I am one of the few people around that actually like cutler.  He showed me something a few years back when in back to back years the bears had just AWFUL olines and he took a beating but kept making decent plays.  Another guy that every one hates RG3, I'd take a look at but only if finances were worked out that he was no big risk, other wise for get it.

Not sure what to make of Daniel just have not seen enough of he guy.

I am one of the few people around that actually like cutler.  He showed me something a few years back when in back to back years the bears had just AWFUL olines and he took a beating but kept making decent plays.  Another guy that every one hates RG3, I'd take a look at but only if finances were worked out that he was no big risk, other wise for get it.

Not sure what to make of Daniel just have not seen enough of he guy.

Cutler is playing the best I have seen him play this year but the majority of his career he's been a talented guy that cannot get the job done.

You don't give up a 4th round pick for a guy who would be your backup when you have another 4th round pick QB you're developing. 

Man you guys are going to be disappointed when you see what they bring in here lol. 

You keep adding QBs until you find one, dopey. 

RGIII intrigues me. Has a lot to prove, but despite 2 separate coaching staffs making him the bad guy he coming out of Baylor was seen as every good and coachable guy. His game needs to be retooled, but he's a smart fellow. Lot of dumb press people see dreads and forget he is a military brat who was loved by his college team and coaches.  Think he is primed to resurrect his career. And even if he fails you'd be giving up a conditional late rounder.

http://www.inquisitr.com/2329684/new-york-jets-rumors-rex-grossman-tyler-thigpen-candidates-to-fill-in-during-geno-smiths-recovery/

Rumors indicate that the New York Jets are looking into Rex Grossman, but wouldn’t have him immediately.

I shouldn't have eaten spinach with my lunch... it doesn't throw up into your mouth well.

Thigpen seems like the obvious top candidate if we don't make a trade.

We need a guy to back up Geno and make sure Petty doesn't see the field this year.  Having worked with Chan, Thigpen would seem to be a good choice. 

Now that's realistic.

Archived