Jets Season Already Successful

House Jet

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is kind of bullsh*t. The Jets have games left against the Giants, Pats, and Bills. Sorry, but they need to win some of those games. Sweeping the Fish is fantabulous, but if they get swept across those three it's certainly going to be one hell of a kick to the taint.

I agree. 1-2 more wins are needed to get out of the double digit loss column and ensure some improvement

How were they handcuffed by the cap rules that every other team in the NFL has to adhere to with more space that 28 or 29 other teams?

They were forced to spend money and figured out a way to do it and properly fix certain aspects of the team on the fly without many quality 2nd and 3rd year guys to reinvest in due to lousy drafting by prior regimes.

SAR I

They were forced to spend money and figured out a way to do it and properly fix certain aspects of the team on the fly without many quality 2nd and 3rd year guys to reinvest in due to lousy drafting by prior regimes.

SAR I

They didn't have to spend to that level.  They spent big money on great players to win now.  If they felt forced to spend and weren't worried about winning now, they could have taken a pass on a player like Cro and given his money to a yonger, more dynamic  player in Mo Wilk.

SAR I

Correct! Sar I - 1 point!

They didn't have to spend to that level.  They spent big money on great players to win now.  If they felt forced to spend and weren't worried about winning now, they could have taken a pass on a player like Cro and given his money to a yonger, more dynamic  player in Mo Wilk.

WRONG! AFJF - TO THE CORNER! ;-P

A look at how much money Jets must spend, and why

2/24/2015

• comment

From the moment he was hired as general manager, Mike Maccagnan has been saying he plans to be "very active" in free agency. In terms of bold predictions, it's about as daring as forecasting the color of the red carpet at the Oscars.

By rule, the New York Jets must spend a lot of money. They have no choice. There's something called the "89-percent rule," which mandates that teams spend 89 percent of their salary-cap dollars over a four-year period -- 2013 to 2016.

As you might have guessed, the Jets have some serious catching up to do. According to the NFLPA, they spent only 81.16 percent the last two years, having doled out the following cash totals:

2013: $101,549,147

2014: $106,230,662

Last year's cap was $133 million. This year's cap is expected to be $143 million or slightly higher. Next year it will increase again. So, according to the NFLPA, the Jets have to spend an average of about $141 million over the next two seasons to be in compliance with the 89-percent rule.

Right now, they have a cash payroll of $84.1 million for 2015, according to overthecap.com.

So get the checkbook ready, Woody.

What happens if they fail to reach the plateau? The team isn't fined and it doesn't get penalized a draft pick. The shortfall is allocated to players who were on the roster from 2013 to 2016. In other words, the NFLPA will spread it around as it sees fit.

"What happens if they fail to reach the plateau? The team isn't fined and it doesn't get penalized a draft pick. The shortfall is allocated to players who were on the roster from 2013 to 2016. In other words, the NFLPA will spread it around as it sees fit."

I see that last part as weird. Why does the NFLPA discern who gets what on a team? Should be equally allocated per Season's Roster tenure.

When did anyone in the organization say that 2015 was a must win now year? They may have, but I don't recall that. 

That was a terrible play call plus the Bills didn't beat the Jets they beat themselves..

Which was a worse call? The pass to Davis or the Vinny T pass to Jumbo Elliot that Tuna called?

:Savage's eyes bulge, his heart races, his fingers feel as though they're aflame. Slowly, he brings a Pall Mall to his lips and sucks deeply on the filter. "Tuna..." he mumbles, his lips pursed, smoke escaping between them and getting hung up in the ragged hairs of his graying mustache. "Tuna."

And then he begins to type...:

Which was a worse call? The pass to Davis or the Vinny T pass to Jumbo Elliot that Tuna called?

:Savage's eyes bulge, his heart races, his fingers feel as though they're aflame. Slowly, he brings a Pall Mall to his lips and sucks deeply on the filter. "Tuna..." he mumbles, his lips pursed, smoke escaping between them and getting hung up in the ragged hairs of his graying mustache. "Tuna."

And then he begins to type...:

The pass to Jumbo was a Dan Henning call Groh was the HC in 2000 and I don't smoke..LOL

Correct! Sar I - 1 point!

WRONG! AFJF - TO THE CORNER! ;-P

A look at how much money Jets must spend, and why

2/24/2015

• comment

From the moment he was hired as general manager, Mike Maccagnan has been saying he plans to be "very active" in free agency. In terms of bold predictions, it's about as daring as forecasting the color of the red carpet at the Oscars.

By rule, the New York Jets must spend a lot of money. They have no choice. There's something called the "89-percent rule," which mandates that teams spend 89 percent of their salary-cap dollars over a four-year period -- 2013 to 2016.

As you might have guessed, the Jets have some serious catching up to do. According to the NFLPA, they spent only 81.16 percent the last two years, having doled out the following cash totals:

2013: $101,549,147

2014: $106,230,662

Last year's cap was $133 million. This year's cap is expected to be $143 million or slightly higher. Next year it will increase again. So, according to the NFLPA, the Jets have to spend an average of about $141 million over the next two seasons to be in compliance with the 89-percent rule.

Right now, they have a cash payroll of $84.1 million for 2015, according to overthecap.com.

So get the checkbook ready, Woody.

What happens if they fail to reach the plateau? The team isn't fined and it doesn't get penalized a draft pick. The shortfall is allocated to players who were on the roster from 2013 to 2016. In other words, the NFLPA will spread it around as it sees fit.

I was actually correct.  I said they didn't have to spent it all this off-season.  The spending window was through next season which means they have this coming off-season to spend as well.

Not all interceptions carry the same weight.  I can't find the numbers on pick sixes Geno threw last year, but I did find some articles about them:

Denver pick 6:  http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/geno-smith-late-pick-costs-bettors-picked-jets-article-1.1972066

Minnesota pick 6:  http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24872733/jets-qb-geno-smith-throws-pick-six-on-first-play-vs-vikings

There may have been more than just 2.  And I do know he threw 5 of those in 2013, leading the league in that category. 

In addition, several of Geno's picks have occurred when we were deep in opposing territory, thus directly taking points off the board.  So when Geno threw picks, it either ended up as points the other way or prevented us from even getting a field goal.

Fitz's picks, for the MOST part (not all, I'm aware), have more or less been on "jump balls" to one of our big receivers.  I don't think he's had a single pick 6, and at most I believe 1 or 2 of his picks were deep in opposing territory, if any.

Fair points. That is certainly important. I agree. It's like the guys who get sacks on a first down in the 1st then get shut out all game compared to a great player who gets the big sacks when the team needs it on 3rd and 8 with 2 min to go in the 4th. The stat looks the same.

Stats can be misleading.

Geno's, and sanchez for that matter, would be life crushing picks or pick 6's right when you didn't need it.

I surely do see the improvement even if the numbers look similar.

I can't help but laugh when people say "This was a four win team last season"....it's insane.  If they'd added a middling CB and an O-lineman then fine, but they spent tens of millions on top-tier talent while bringing in a guy who many considered to be the best defensive mind in the NFL.  If you gotta spend that kind of money and bring in that kind of coach to get an additional two wins, then what's the point?

Because that's how it works. Throw money at it.....Championship! LOL

Ask the Redskins about that approach. Or the 2011 Eagles " Dream Team ".

New GM. New HC. New O. New D. New Culture after 6 years of zero accountability. Different Blocking scheme for the Online. Starting QB gets knocked out at the end of preseason  because he's a moron. 

LOL. This may not be a rebuilding year, but its definitely a BUILDING year. For this team, an 8-8 season without any Buttfumbles, further embarrassment, or rank incompetence is a success as long as there's a coherent plan and growth moving forward. Anything more is gravy, and moving past the black hole that was Geno Smith is probably the most important thing to happen moving forward since beating the Pats in The playoffs

New GM. New HC. New O. New D. New Culture after 6 years of zero accountability. Different Blocking scheme for the Online. Starting QB gets knocked out at the end of preseason  because he's a moron. 

LOL. This may not be a rebuilding year, but its definitely a BUILDING year. For this team, an 8-8 season without any Buttfumbles, further embarrassment, or rank incompetence is a success as long as there's a coherent plan and growth moving forward. Anything more is gravy, and moving past the black hole that was Geno Smith is probably the most important thing to happen moving forward since beating the Pats in The playoffs

You are absolutely correct. A playoff run, while being a nice bonus this year is not what this season was about. The Jets need to establish a new core, and a new direction. Still a work in process. 

Anyone expecting automatic 10 win season on paper is mining fool's gold.

after being 4-1, 6-5 is not a success

we still have to go to buffalo week 17

that game will probabaly dictate how we end up feeling about this season

We have 3 teams that on paper we should be Giants, Cowboys & Titans; we should win at least 2 of them; that would be 8-8.  I would love to kick Buffalo's butt (and knock Brady on his).  But, considering our start and the fact that we face relatively soft teams, 6-10 would be a disaster.

It's not about what you spend, but how you spend it.  The top two problems for this team last season was QB play and secondary.  They spend a mint on improving the secondary and got the best QB they've had since Favre.  If that high-dollar secondary doesn't come out and play worse than last year's group against some of the worst QB's in the NFL and lose to a team with the worst coach in the NFL who knows nothing about football, this team is a lock for double digit wins.

after being 4-1, 6-5 is not a success

we still have to go to buffalo week 17

that game will probabaly dictate how we end up feeling about this season

Not just 4-1, but 4-1 with the schedule laid out to play terrible QB's, inexperienced QB's, worst head coach in the NFL, etc...

Terrible that this team doesn't have at least 8 wins right now.

Lost to Sam Bradford and the Eagles who had 8 yards rushing the previous week and Sam Bradford averaging around 4 YPC and not a single legit threat at WR.

Lost to the Raiders with over TWENTY missed tackles.

Lost to Yates.

Lost to the Bills.

I have a hard time calling that a success.

Taking this week into account, if we win this game against The Blue we will access the season again. Have a good weekend Jets fanatics . I will be at this game. The last Green/ Blue game I was at the Salsa man ran a ten yard pass 99 yards saying "later" to the great Eric Smith.

We shall see.

Fair points. That is certainly important. I agree. It's like the guys who get sacks on a first down in the 1st then get shut out all game compared to a great player who gets the big sacks when the team needs it on 3rd and 8 with 2 min to go in the 4th. The stat looks the same.

Stats can be misleading.

Geno's, and sanchez for that matter, would be life crushing picks or pick 6's right when you didn't need it.

I surely do see the improvement even if the numbers look similar.

Stupid, busted quote feature.

Kinda the wrong week for the pro-Rex revisionist mythology set to rear their pointy little heads, no?

Not surprisingly, the Strawman All-Stars have now reset the bar at "worst coach in the NFL who knows nothing about football," which even Rex can clear at least five or six times a season.

Not surprisingly, the Strawman All-Stars have now reset the bar at "worst coach in the NFL who knows nothing about football," which even Rex can clear at least five or six times a season.

I guess they have a point in that had we only given DRC that huge contract last year everything would have been different. 

How did we get to talking about Rex? I forget.

I was recapping some disappointing losses, one of which was to Buffalo.  That was pretty much all it took to take it from a conversation about whether or not this season is a success for the Jets, to yet another Rex thread.

Archived