And just like that, Rex Ryan is officially eliminated from playoff contention.

RutgersJetFan

No surprise about any of this.

Team revolts once they realize Rex is a fraud that feels his schemes are more important than really putting players in their best spot to succeed.

GM is going to get it in the neck even though half the moves of the team have Rex's prints all over them.

Some assistants will be tossed to appease the powers that be but Rex will survive.

Rex being handed a top 3 NFL defense and fing it all up kind of makes all the blame Idzik took for not giving rex any players moot.  Rex can't win with hole sin his D and can't win with a ready made established top 3 D now.

Just a massively overrated defensive coach to go along with his joke of a head coach credentials.  I've said it before, he is his brother.  Give him the kind of shi* his brother has been asked to coach whit for years and he'd have the same results.

More than his brother, he's his father.  See Buddy's second shot at HC with the Cardinals:

Arizona Cardinals
After being given a large share of the credit for the success in Houston in 1993, he was named head coach of the Arizona Cardinals in 1994. "On arriving in Phoenix, Buddy Ryan announced, 'You've got a winner in town.'" Also named general manager of the Cardinals, Ryan went 8-8 his first year, but had a 4-12 nosedive the following season, rife with criticism that he ran his two drafts poorly and mishandled Arizona's quarterback situation as a GM. He lasted only two seasons there — where he had a record of 12-20 — before being fired again. He would subsequently retire to his farm in Kentucky, where he breeds race horses.

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"You saw the game, and you're trying to switch personnel as they're coming out of the huddle," Williams said after the game. "I don't know who in the world is calling, saying what personnel they're in or whatever, or how is that confusing. But apparently it is.

"My mindset is, if you're an attack defense, you don't let anything else dictate what you do. We're gonna put who we're gonna put out there, and then we're gonna execute and make plays with the guys out there. I don't care -- I don't need to wait on you to make a decision. And whoever seems to be missing personnel, so that we're actually trying to switch. So we're trying to switch men. It's not like we're trying to switch plays. We're trying to switch men as they're coming out of the huddle.

"That's happened a few times in 10 years with me. A few times. That's 10 years. But like you said, game in, game out, I don't know how in the world that keeps happening."

Wow. Not sure I've ever seen a player call out a coach like that.

"You saw the game, and you're trying to switch personnel as they're coming out of the huddle," Williams said after the game. "I don't know who in the world is calling, saying what personnel they're in or whatever, or how is that confusing. But apparently it is.

"My mindset is, if you're an attack defense, you don't let anything else dictate what you do. We're gonna put who we're gonna put out there, and then we're gonna execute and make plays with the guys out there. I don't care -- I don't need to wait on you to make a decision. And whoever seems to be missing personnel, so that we're actually trying to switch. So we're trying to switch men. It's not like we're trying to switch plays. We're trying to switch men as they're coming out of the huddle.

"That's happened a few times in 10 years with me. A few times. That's 10 years. But like you said, game in, game out, I don't know how in the world that keeps happening."

That's just the Dennis Thurmond Shuffle.  Mario needs to get with the Program.

Asked if he felt he had something to prove over the final two games of this season to Bills owners Terry and Kim Pegula, Ryan said: "Well, no. Well, I guess, yes," he said. "Everyone has to."

His immediate reaction to that quote means he knows he'll be back next season and that he can throw everyone else under the bus.  The 2nd part was him trying to cover up his gaffe.

One time I was in Florence drinking a Fernet Branca while waiting for an old friend, and this brunette sat down next to me and started waxing philosophical how one could like money and fight crime all at the same time. Weird sh*t. Then some old guy nodded at me from across the patio.

Jaws?

The Rex effect is cumulative once he gets his input into a few drafts in a row.  One of the biggest problems when he was here was that almost no young talent was ever developed under Rex.  Maybe he has learned his lessons and it will be different for you guys but I think not.

now he has Mario Williams talking smack in the press. When will backslappers realize that being a buddy doesn't get you respect. To be a leader you need respect, not friendship. No one ever said "bellichick/Lombardi/Landry/noll man he was one of us farting in the locker room and playing towel tag with the guys in the shower."

now he has Mario Williams talking smack in the press. When will backslappers realize that being a buddy doesn't get you respect. To be a leader you need respect, not friendship. No one ever said "bellichick/Lombardi/Landry/noll man he was one of us farting in the locker room and playing towel tag with the guys in the shower."

Thing is, Rex never even tried to be Mario's friend, or the rest of the DL for that matter.  He stated from Day 1 that he expected more out of his DL than under Schwartz despite leading the league in sacks.  Like his first task as soon as he arrived was to criticize the best unit on the field by far.  It was bizarre.

Of course there is no rift as far as REx is concerned, he's trampled over whaley since day one and likes this Tanny like relationship.   Whaley on the other hand is probably cursing under his breath about Rex and his horrible assistants.  Whaley can't do a blessed thing about it though because the owners got charmed by Rex and he won't talk about it after he gets fired or demoted because it would be a bad career move.

Thing is, Rex never even tried to be Mario's friend, or the rest of the DL for that matter.  He stated from Day 1 that he expected more out of his DL than under Schwartz despite leading the league in sacks.  Like his first task as soon as he arrived was to criticize the best unit on the field by far.  It was bizarre.

yeah but he said "talk in the press all you want I don't have the moral courage to enforce any discipline whatsoever."

as far as the anti-defense thing, as usual the only way Rex "learns" from a mistake is to laughably over correct. This was his way to combat criticism that he "plays favorites" with defense: coddle the offense and play fake mean to defense. Like when he put the offense against the 2nd string defense in practice because the first string defense was crushing them. His response should've been, "you think game will be easier?? Both units job here is to make themselves and each other better. First string plays first string. You don't like getting shut down then put the extra work in."

regarding schwartz I think Rex was just mad that someone else was playing with his Tonka truck and like the man child he is he shoved him out of the way the second he could run to management and pin something on Schwartz in a tattletale move. Just the first of many bus tosses before Rex rips a massive hole in that franchise when he is finally ejected from the building.

"Yes. But the person who will decide Rex Ryan's fate is not yet working for the team. #Bills"

If this is true,  the organization must plan on changing reporting procedure  because Rex currently reports directly to Terry and Kim Pegula.  

this is what Rex does. They will need to change the blood soaked tires on the team bus at least once before its Rex's turn to go under. 

Ozzie newsome, most respected front office exec in the league passed on Rex as an internal promotion. What else do you need to know.

Please, PLEASE PLEEEEEAAAASE Jeaniec, let the bills hire Rob Ryan as your DC.  That would be absolutely amazing!  Unlike some here(and in Buffalo) I like Rex and would absolutely love to see this happen!

Rex's tenure here ended with a dying sputter. If rob goes to buffalo it will be an epic supernova by comparison.

Thank you!

I dont think I have ever heard anything as damning coming from a DL player mid season.  Even Suh saying he runs the defense is less offensive than this.

this is what Rex does. They will need to change the blood soaked tires on the team bus at least once before its Rex's turn to go under. 

Ozzie newsome, most respected front office exec in the league passed on Rex as an internal promotion. What else do you need to know.

Rex's tenure here ended with a dying sputter. If rob goes to buffalo it will be an epic supernova by comparison.

I would watch buffalo games just to see the sideline shenanigans and eventual all out brawl that would ensue putting these guys on the same sideline!!!

His iron willed brilliance will propel Buffalo into the playoffs next year.

I would like to take a moment and thank you for being the Jetnation Captain for 2015.  I will be voting for you on next years ballot whether we make the playoffs or not.

We warned you, jeanie.  Wish it happened to a franchise/fan base that's a lot less likable.

What's likeable about the Bills franchise? They're a division rival and have given us trouble in the past. Jeanie is certainly cool, but not so sure about the rest of the fan base. Not from some of the stuff I've read and heard in the past. Plus they enjoyed a lot of success in kelly/levy years, so I don't feel sorry for them 

What's likeable about the Bills franchise? They're a division rival and have given us trouble in the past. Jeanie is certainly cool, but not so sure about the rest of the fan base. Not from some of the stuff I've read and heard in the past. Plus they enjoyed a lot of success in kelly/levy years, so I don't feel sorry for them 

bills did ask for this. At least when jets hired Rex the book was yet to be written on what kind of HC he would be. After his flameout he will definitely go to TV where he will host a segment called "BOOM! BOYITELLYA!" That will be like the Whammy! Guy in anchorman.

I'm not here to say I told you so. Just to say I feel your pain.

If they retain him, it will get worse before it gets better. 

+1

Thing is, with the Jets it was always about Rex doing what was necessary to lengthen his career and set himself up for a DC position if the HC thing didn't work out.  All decisions were made to maintain his illusion of defensive greatness. 

Now that he's gotten past his rookie contract and has $27,500,000 of guaranteed Buffalo money he can just as easily orchestrate an epic flameout and retire in the Bahamas with his wife and tattoo artist 4 years early, no need to lift a finger or take the public shaming that's coming.  Everyone talks about how brilliantly Revis played his contract.  Ryan is the coaching equivalent.  Never has someone so bad gotten paid so much to do so little.

SAR I

Don't say I didn't warn ya.  I got torched on a Bills' board after Rex was hired for telling folks he was poison.  Wonder what all those folks are thinking today?

After he decimated our team, hiring Rex immediately after we fired him goes down as one of the most boneheaded moves ever in the NFL.  Second only to us rushing to ink Kotite after he was almost lynched in Philly.  Thanks, Leon.

But folks in Buffalo are blaming Williams who was playing great for them before Rex got there and are even saying lets get rid of Williams in order to keep up the fantasy that is Rex "the total coach."

It is sad....

+1

Thing is, with the Jets it was always about Rex doing what was necessary to lengthen his career and set himself up for a DC position if the HC thing didn't work out.  All decisions were made to maintain his illusion of defensive greatness. 

Now that he's gotten past his rookie contract and has $27,500,000 of guaranteed Buffalo money he can just as easily orchestrate an epic flameout and retire in the Bahamas with his wife and tattoo artist 4 years early, no need to lift a finger or take the public shaming that's coming.  Everyone talks about how brilliantly Revis played his contract.  Ryan is the coaching equivalent.  Never has someone so bad gotten paid so much to do so little.

SAR I

But Revis is actually very good at his job.

Don't say I didn't warn ya.  I got torched on a Bills' board after Rex was hired for telling folks he was poison.  Wonder what all those folks are thinking today?

After he decimated our team, hiring Rex immediately after we fired him goes down as one of the most boneheaded moves ever in the NFL.  Second only to us rushing to ink Kotite after he was almost lynched in Philly.  Thanks, Leon.

As I mentioned earlier,  I really thought we had a chance with all the talent we have. 

But Revis is actually very good at his job.

Definitely.

But in Ryan's case, he's figured out how to play the head coaching system as well as Revis figured out how to play the free agent system.  Turns out if you make a huge splash and become a dominant media personality in a decent sized market it can 1) buy you 3 years you don't deserve in your current job and 2) guarantees you'll get a crack at a second job in a smaller market.  The performance on the field never mattered, that's why we were so bad at it.  All that mattered were humorous press conferences in funny costumes, feeding the social media engine, selling tickets on Sunday's, making headlines on Monday's.

The tragedy for Buffalo fans is that this was all spelled out for them and they fell hard for it anyway.

SAR I

You do have talent the problem is you have a MORON for a head coach. :D

-  Don't know how much of a moron he is with a $27.5 Million Dollar 5 year contract.  :D  I don't know how true it is but I heard he didn't have to negotiate that,  it was just given to him.  

+1

SAR I

ouch! I would hate to think that the guy isnt legitimately try to win a SB.  He has more to learn as a HC but I dont think that he was building a team to protect his next job.

-  Don't know how much of a moron he is with a $27.5 Million Dollar 5 year contract.  :D  I don't know how true it is but I heard he didn't have to negotiate that,  it was just given to him.  

I still can't believe they gave him that many years and that much money.  I would think he would've been lucky to get a 2-3 year deal at $5 million per.  Maybe there were teams bidding on him.

Hes a moron of a football coach with a good line of BS. 

Buffalo got what they hired a MORON. 

Archived