Maccagnan.. NFL Executive of the Year ? ? ?

kelly

Darrelle Revis has an opinion on Executive of the Year, and in his mind it's not even close.

"No doubt about it -- Executive of the Year for (Jets GM Mike Maccagnan)," Revis told the New York Daily News. "I think he would be the front-runner. The moves that he made to bring guys here and win now, especially after going 4-12 last year, it's pretty good. It's pretty great."Revis is obviously the beneficiary of one of Maccagnan's moves, but this is an interesting situation to break down. Maccagnan should get the most credit for trading a fifth-round pick to theBears for Brandon Marshall and a conditional seventh-round pick to the Texans for Ryan Fitzpatrick. The two are gargantuan pieces of a team that can walk into the playoffs with a win over the Billson Sunday.

But the rest ? Revis might actually have to credit a guy he doesn't like much: former GM John Idzik.

Idzik was hired with the directive to trade Revis and usher in some financial conservatism in New York. He got an additional first-round pick that ended up being Sheldon Richardson and he set the team up with more than $50 million in salary-cap space. Maccagnan had about $49 million to spend when he took the job.We're not saying Idzik deserves to be in the chair still. There were some fairly egregious shortcomings in the personnel department that led to some massive draft whiffs, and Idzik did not have the two Super Bowl rings like the other general manager in town -- Giants GM Jerry Reese -- to survive it. But we're certain that Idzik doesn't deserve the label that he's been given as one of the worst executives of the last 10 years.

We don't know if Idzik would have spent lavishly in free agency this past year and we don't know if he would have picked Todd Bowles. We don't know if he would have dealt for Brandon Marshall, but we do know that all of it was possible because of the way he left the office before someone else sat in the chair.Kudos to Maccagnan for putting all the pieces together, but let's not bury a decent GM who was fired for doing what he was told to do.

>     http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000612379/article/revis-touts-maccagnan-as-nfl-executive-of-the-year

Turning a 5th rounder and a future 6th rounder into The Marshall and Fitzpatrick duo alone has to put him in the running.  The fact that he added different pieces on the defense: Revis, Cromartie, Skrine, Gilchrist, and Mauldin elevate him even more.  Mac may not win it but he definitely should be in the running.

Tannebaum and Suh take a sip from the Mohito they are sharing and say,"uh huh"

Lol. Watching both Tanny and Rex work their magic within the division, their inability to learn from their own mistakes is amazing to me. 

If the jets make the playoffs, sure why not. However, I believe it'll be the panthers GM that'll get it

i respectfully disagree. i think he got bailed out by Cam playing out of his mind after neglecting the WR position

Mozeliak is the GM of the St. Louis Cardinals. Easy mistake, don't worry. Steve Keim is the GM of the Arizona Cardinals

thanks bud i googled it

Me and my boy got to meet him after the game, seems like a great guy. Although after a big win everyone is happy. I normally swing and miss with my words when I meet a sports personality. Like when I met jeter I said " hey derek, ur the man" In this case I said , " thanks for putting together this team, u just made my buffalo trip more expensive " wtf was that. He replied with the standard " thanks for being a fan"

image.jpeg

Darrelle Revis has an opinion on Executive of the Year, and in his mind it's not even close.

"No doubt about it -- Executive of the Year for (Jets GM Mike Maccagnan)," Revis told the New York Daily News. "I think he would be the front-runner. The moves that he made to bring guys here and win now, especially after goin:)4-12 last year, it's pretty good. It's pretty great."

I give you credit for spelling his name right 

If the jets make the playoffs, sure why not. However, I believe it'll be the panthers GM that'll get it

Eh, not sure about that.  Ron Rivera deserves the bigger chunk of praise for that team's success this year.  He's winning with spare parts at WR.  The defense has been really good for a while, so I guess the GM could be rewarded for the years of solid work there. 

But if we're just talking this year, Macc took over a true 4-12 roster and transformed it overnight.  Bowles is obviously a big part of it too, but he's not doing what he's doing, especially on offense, without Fitz, Marshall, and Carpenter, who were had for a 5th & 7th rounder and some FA dollars, respectively.  Hard to argue against him.

Me and my boy got to meet him after the game, seems like a great guy. Although after a big win everyone is happy. I normally swing and miss with my words when I meet a sports personality. Like when I met jeter I said " hey derek, ur the man" In this case I said , " thanks for putting together this team, u just made my buffalo trip more expensive " wtf was that. He replied with the standard " thanks for being a fan"

image.jpeg

They wisely kept you on the other side of the railing. :)

image.jpeg

poor kid. you must not love your son ;)

Props to MaccDaddy for Marshall & FitzMagic. Mauldin looks like he can become a solid LB.

I was disappointed that we traded down and lost a shot @ Eli Harold but 12 picks later MacDaddy took Mauldin. Looks like he nailed that one.

Had a few misses in the draft. Not the players he took(hoping Smith can develop)

I would have liked to see a RB taken.... Langford, David Johnson and Duke were available at certain points when we picked.

image.jpeg

how is your buffalo trip more expensive?

how is your buffalo trip more expensive?

it probably wasn't, that's the point. Not really sure why I said that. 

I guess I figured that since the game matter to us ticket prices would rise. 

Although after I checked  prices since I was looking for between six and eight tickets some of the batches in decent locations did rise a little bit or were selling more .making them a little more expensive. My guess is Buffalo fans might be holding out for a few more dollars hoping that jet fans will overpay. But the prices will go a lot lower headed towards the game.

Archived