Jets 2016 Salary Cap

j4jets

SNAPSHOT
We currently stand at around $135.8 million with 40 players under contract. We had $2.4 mil in cap space left over from 2015 that will get pushed to 2016. All indications are that 2016 cap will be above 150 mil, and possibly around $153 mil. Jets cap would then be 155.4 mil (NFL cap + previous year's rollover). Jets' 2016 free cap space would then be 19.6 mil.

POTENTIAL AND PROBABLE CUTS (Cap Saving)

Cromartie (8 mil)
Cumberland (1.9 mil)
Kerley (1.3 mil)

Total cap savings: 11.2 mil

RESTRUCTURE/PAYCUT CANDIDATES
Restructuring deals by simply converting base salary in to bonus and spreading that amount over the remainder of the contract.
Darrelle Revis (can save as much as $12 mil but that can be suicidal for future cap. Probably savings could be 6-8 mil)
D'brickashaw (He's a prime candidate for a paycut. Theres a possibility he retires. He can possibly save about 2 mil as paycut)
Dee Milliner (He's a potential trade candidate, as his salary is guaranteed. Can save $4mil)

Total cap savings: Roughly 13 mil

NET CAP SPACE AFTER CUTS/RESTRUCTURES
$44 mil with 36 players under contract.

2016 JETS FREE AGENTS

Ryan Fitzpatrick, Mo' Wilkerson, Calvin Pace, Damon Harrison, Chris Ivory, Bilal Powell, Jaiquawn Jarrett, Stevan Ridley, Leger Douzable, Darrin Walls, Willie Colon, Stephen Bowen, Kellen Davis, Jamari Lattimore, Ben Ijalana, Antonio Allen, Erin Henderson, Demario Davis, Kenbrell Thompkins, Randy Bullock, Zach Sudfeld and Ryan Quigley.

Fitzpatrick should re-sign. His contract should be slightly above the range of McCowns last deal of about $4mil per. I'd say about $6 mil per year plus some incentives.
Harrison should be re-signed and should make about $4 mil a year imo.
Ivory, while I love his style, may not be resigned unless its for $3-4 mil per year. He'll test the FA and I feel he'll come back and take that deal.
Powell's deal should also be around $3 mil a year. His last extension was $2mil per year. I don't want anything to do with Stacey or Ridley. We need to draft an RB in the middle rounds.
Darrin Walls is a quality depth imo. Not a starter, but he's a good #5.Should sign for about a mil.
Antonio Allen - He's a very good backup. Shouldn't cost an arm and a leg. $1.5 mil should do the trick.
Demario Davis was being phased out of the D as the season went on, but if he can take a cheap deal, I'd take him back for couple of mil a year.

Thats about $20 mil for 7 players. Puts our cap space to around $24 mil with 43 players under contract.  We need about $10 mil to sign draftees and keep the rest as buffer for in-season injury pickups. Erin Henderson and Thompkins might come back at around vets minimum. Others on that list I don't care much for and will not make much more than vets minimum anyways.

KEY ISSUE
Mo Wilkerson. His tag will be around $14 mil, and piecing everything together in this post, I strongly feel like he will be traded as we simply can not survive with that tag and be competitive by not being able to pickup a few decent players. If we sign and keep Mo, we will not have the opportunity to upgrade our roster via the FA. If we can get Mo to sign an extension, we can keep his 2016 cap charge to a very modest number, regardless of the total deal. Jets would be smart to keep 2016 figure to about $4-5 mil to leave about $10 mil to spend in the FA.

CONCLUSION
With the moves I suggested, and with Mo leaving, we'll have about $14 mil in cap space to fill a couple of cheap starting positions (TE, P) and possibly upgrade a position or two, as we also need to pickup Cro and Pace's replacements. I can see us picking up a CB and OLB early in the draft, followed by OL. The rest can be covered by the draft or some cheap backup signings via FA.

Thoughts?...

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I pretty much agree with all of this but I think you may have figured just a bit low in salaries we would offer Ivory, Fitz and Allen but a few mil here and there wont make that huge an impact Unless they really value Fitz more than you think at the 6 mil mark ... I think he can approach 10 mil so that will be a wait and see it may come down to what Fitz does for the team with how much he wants to win and save the team money to add other parts. 

As to when we pick a RB, which I believe we must do, will depend on how the GM value's the position on a team ready to win NOW with a few pieces added. I also believe a number 3 WR who could actually play special teams might be a target in the draft. We need to upgrade the specials in a big way since you can't win in this league with terrible starting field position on a weekly basis. Specials cost us 2 games this year for various reasons and that needs to stop.

LB over all is a team need, they have to get faster. I think this year we target either a RB or LB in round 1 simply because they can have the biggest impact on a win now team that's getting old. I think a dynamic young RB can vault this team into a top five offense along with a decent pass catching option as the number 3 WR . With Amaro coming back at least we will have a decent to good option at TE where we currently have nothing.

As to Mo and Harrison I think Harrison is the more important signing for obvious various reasons

Yes it sounds very plausible, I do see Mac making brave decisions with Brick and Mo.

Mo can be replaced with Leo, paying another 15 mill per for a player when we are already paying Brick 14 and Revis 17 is nuts. I also see money shuffling, changing salarys into guaranteed. to lower the cap hits.

That's the most realistic I've seen a plan so far. Great Job.

I don't see any reason to bring back both Ivory and Powell. Stacy is already signed and is young. Bring in a FA and a draft pick with Powell and the RB group will be fine.

Trading Milliner is not smart. You won't get value back and it creates another hole. Might be best to keep him and see him try to be healthy.

Antonio Allen might be the odd man out in the safety ranks. With the cap the way it is and the Jets having Gilchrist, Pryor, Miles, Martin, etc in the fold I don't see the point. He could be a solid special teams player, but I don't see him jumping the other guys on the depth chart. 

Resigning Erin Henderson is more important than Demario Davis. The former was so much better on the field than the latter that it wasn't close. 

I could see Pace back on a veteran's minimum salary to help groom some OLB youth and be a situational rusher. Depends on what the Jets address in FA and the draft. 

Darrin Walls is not coming back to play #5 CB and special teams for a million dollars when he can get more money and a chance to start elsewhere. There are some putrid pass defenses in the league and he is a solid player and showed it this year when he had to step in and play big minutes. He's likely gone. Which is another reason you don't trade Milliner. 

If Fitzpatrick & his agent want 10 million & Mac pays it I'm not even watching the season! Fitz is a stopgap QB who needs everything else firing on all cylinders to have consistent success, and we won't have success with a strapped salary cap.

This teams depth already reared it's ugly head in our special teams & having Ivory dinged up and especially not having Powell for the Bills game (Powell plays I'm positive we win that game). He was sorely missed.

If Mac gives in to Mo & his agents demands we're f*cked. You can't have 2 defensive players making close to 16 million. Especially when you already have Williams & Sheldon. I think Resigning Harrison for 4 million is a no brainer. 

Anyone could see that the Jets biggest problem is defending the short spaces of the field. We were better off in 3rd & 2, than 3rd & 7. At least 3rd & 2 teams were stupid enough to try and run.

Fix the speed at LB, and it will change the entire dynamic of our defense. We have enough good CBs & safeties. We have enough muscle up front & in the trenches. We need a player that can bend the edge & LBs that can cover in short spaces. Even Bowles mentioned we need more speed. Obviously he's talking about LB & pass rushers.

I would trade Mo if possible & make a run at Danny Trevathon of Denver. Than I look for another LB & a stud RB that can catch out of the backfield in the 1st round. I resign Powell & let all the the other RBs go. I go Powell, 1st round pick, then see who's left after free agency fallout & also try to sign an UDFA after the draft for the practice squad (Mac found Foster). 

Finally, I get tough with Dbrick & his agent. Great Jet, great career, 14 million is ridiculous for the 6th worst LT in giving up QB pressures. Keep in mind, Fitz was getting rid of the ball quickly & running, which is another indictment of DBricks overall play.

The only other free agency splash would be looking for a older hold the fort RT after cutting Breno (who's been horrible). I don't know who's available but we need to draft someone to groom, but if we want to COMPETE next year, we need someone with experience that can step right in. So, 2 minor free agent splashes at LB, RT, drafting top 3 picks, LB, RB, OT, in whatever order it works out. Mac will figure out CBs, safeties, we have plenty of bodies to pick from. Go Mac! 

Good write up OP except I think you're low balling some of the $ like for Snacks and Fitz.  We're not exactly in cap hell but it's closer than some might think.  Due to cap I'm a Snacks over Mo guy too.  Pity we have to lose Mo but them's the breaks.  Maybe Mac spent a bit too much last year and should have saved more cap for roll over.  20/20 hindsight, we would have done just fine w/o Cro.  

The way I see the cuts, signings, and trades going, other than bringing back our own we're not making more than one FA move.  I think there is a chance we see some sort of blockbuster trade this year.   

gotta find a way to lower mangolds cap number also

not gonna happen. He scheduled to make slightly more next year, final year of his deal. We can move like 3 mil to 2017 for him but then he'll count 12 mil against the cap next year. Same situation is true with Brick. I can see us possibly moving a couple mil from Harris though. 

not gonna happen. He scheduled to make slightly more next year, final year of his deal. We can move like 3 mil to 2017 for him but then he'll count 12 mil against the cap next year. Same situation is true with Brick. I can see us possibly moving a couple mil from Harris though. 

couldnt extending his deal by one year help that though?

I don't see any reason to bring back both Ivory and Powell. Stacy is already signed and is young. Bring in a FA and a draft pick with Powell and the RB group will be fine.

Trading Milliner is not smart. You won't get value back and it creates another hole. Might be best to keep him and see him try to be healthy.

Antonio Allen might be the odd man out in the safety ranks. With the cap the way it is and the Jets having Gilchrist, Pryor, Miles, Martin, etc in the fold I don't see the point. He could be a solid special teams player, but I don't see him jumping the other guys on the depth chart. 

Resigning Erin Henderson is more important than Demario Davis. The former was so much better on the field than the latter that it wasn't close. 

I could see Pace back on a veteran's minimum salary to help groom some OLB youth and be a situational rusher. Depends on what the Jets address in FA and the draft. 

Darrin Walls is not coming back to play #5 CB and special teams for a million dollars when he can get more money and a chance to start elsewhere. There are some putrid pass defenses in the league and he is a solid player and showed it this year when he had to step in and play big minutes. He's likely gone. Which is another reason you don't trade Milliner. 

Letting Ivory walk creates an opening for starting RB. Powell is a great 3rd down back. Ivory and Powell were at their best when both played together. Im all for drafting an RB early, just not in the first. LB is way higher on the list of needs. I do think Pace will be back at vets min. 

Milliner was a healthy scratch at times this year. And that guaranteed 4mil salary won't help his cause to stay with the team much. He'll most likely get traded just to get his contract off the books, even if it's for like a 6th round pick. Walls isn't starting material, but I'd offer as much as 1.5 mil a year to bring him back, especially with Crimwrtie also leaving. Anything more than that and you have to find a way to incorporate Milliner into the D. 

Henderson is on the wrong side of 30. He shouldn't command much more than couple mil though and I don't mind seeing him back on a one year deal. We're trying to get faster n younger at LB so we may just take a flyer on a high risk high reward rookie in later rounds. 

couldnt extending his deal by one year help that though?

Yes, that's one way of doing it. But don't see him asking for anything less than 8mil a year on extension. You don't wanna extend him for too long though. But yes, we can save 2-3 mil if need be. 

Gilchrist saves $2 mil if cut. Was his play all that great? Have Dion Bailey or Rontez Miles shown us enough over the season to step into his position?

I'm sure Bowles (who's Defensive schemes heavily rely upon good S play) would want tokeep the veteran.

Always liked Allen.... hope we can bring him back.

I'd really like to see Marcus Williams incorporated more in the defense next year. He's just a ball hawk who's coverage skills really improved. Can't keep for at $8 mill and he could really be the guy to step in a replace him. 

I would also really prefer to keep Ivory and Powell at the right price but it's time to bring in a young dynamic rb Ivory and Powell both just get dinged up too much and we really need a solid third option that could hopefully takeover the starting role in 2017. 

SNAPSHOT
We currently stand at around $135.8 million with 40 players under contract. We had $2.4 mil in cap space left over from 2015 that will get pushed to 2016. All indications are that 2016 cap will be above 150 mil, and possibly around $153 mil. Jets cap would then be 155.4 mil (NFL cap + previous year's rollover). Jets' 2016 free cap space would then be 19.6 mil.

POTENTIAL AND PROBABLE CUTS (Cap Saving)

Cromartie (8 mil)
Cumberland (1.9 mil)
Kerley (1.3 mil)

Total cap savings: 11.2 mil

RESTRUCTURE/PAYCUT CANDIDATES
Restructuring deals by simply converting base salary in to bonus and spreading that amount over the remainder of the contract.
Darrelle Revis (can save as much as $12 mil but that can be suicidal for future cap. Probably savings could be 6-8 mil)
D'brickashaw (He's a prime candidate for a paycut. Theres a possibility he retires. He can possibly save about 2 mil as paycut)
Dee Milliner (He's a potential trade candidate, as his salary is guaranteed. Can save $4mil)

Total cap savings: Roughly 13 mil

NET CAP SPACE AFTER CUTS/RESTRUCTURES
$44 mil with 36 players under contract.

2016 JETS FREE AGENTS

Ryan Fitzpatrick, Mo' Wilkerson, Calvin Pace, Damon Harrison, Chris Ivory, Bilal Powell, Jaiquawn Jarrett, Stevan Ridley, Leger Douzable, Darrin Walls, Willie Colon, Stephen Bowen, Kellen Davis, Jamari Lattimore, Ben Ijalana, Antonio Allen, Erin Henderson, Demario Davis, Kenbrell Thompkins, Randy Bullock, Zach Sudfeld and Ryan Quigley.

Fitzpatrick should re-sign. His contract should be slightly above the range of McCowns last deal of about $4mil per. I'd say about $6 mil per year plus some incentives.
Harrison should be re-signed and should make about $4 mil a year imo.
Ivory, while I love his style, may not be resigned unless its for $3-4 mil per year. He'll test the FA and I feel he'll come back and take that deal.
Powell's deal should also be around $3 mil a year. His last extension was $2mil per year. I don't want anything to do with Stacey or Ridley. We need to draft an RB in the middle rounds.
Darrin Walls is a quality depth imo. Not a starter, but he's a good #5.Should sign for about a mil.
Antonio Allen - He's a very good backup. Shouldn't cost an arm and a leg. $1.5 mil should do the trick.
Demario Davis was being phased out of the D as the season went on, but if he can take a cheap deal, I'd take him back for couple of mil a year.

Thats about $20 mil for 7 players. Puts our cap space to around $24 mil with 43 players under contract.  We need about $10 mil to sign draftees and keep the rest as buffer for in-season injury pickups. Erin Henderson and Thompkins might come back at around vets minimum. Others on that list I don't care much for and will not make much more than vets minimum anyways.

KEY ISSUE
Mo Wilkerson. His tag will be around $14 mil, and piecing everything together in this post, I strongly feel like he will be traded as we simply can not survive with that tag and be competitive by not being able to pickup a few decent players. If we sign and keep Mo, we will not have the opportunity to upgrade our roster via the FA. If we can get Mo to sign an extension, we can keep his 2016 cap charge to a very modest number, regardless of the total deal. Jets would be smart to keep 2016 figure to about $4-5 mil to leave about $10 mil to spend in the FA.

CONCLUSION
With the moves I suggested, and with Mo leaving, we'll have about $14 mil in cap space to fill a couple of cheap starting positions (TE, P) and possibly upgrade a position or two, as we also need to pickup Cro and Pace's replacements. I can see us picking up a CB and OLB early in the draft, followed by OL. The rest can be covered by the draft or some cheap backup signings via FA.

Thoughts?...

You left out Demario Davis. I don't think he will be back.

Gilchrist saves $2 mil if cut. Was his play all that great? Have Dion Bailey or Rontez Miles shown us enough over the season to step into his position?

I'm sure Bowles (who's Defensive schemes heavily rely upon good S play) would want tokeep the veteran.

Always liked Allen.... hope we can bring him back.

Gilchrist was probably the most consistent defensive back that the Jets had this season. 

If you want to win the Superbowl EVER you don't let Elite 26 year old lineman get away from you. No Offense, but any plan involving letting him walk is a terrible one. Him and Fitzpatrick are the only two non replaceable players we have. The rest of these guys are absolutely replaceable with draft picks/young players. 

What possible reason that Brick would restructure?

More guaranteed money, perhaps a contract extension.  Also if the Jets cut him, he will not get a $14M salary from other teams.  If the Jets offer $10M with guaranteed salary he probably would take it.

More guaranteed money, perhaps a contract extension.  Also if the Jets cut him, he will not get a $14M salary from other teams.  If the Jets offer $10M with guaranteed salary he probably would take it.

No way the Jets extend Brick.

But I do agree with you, offer up some guaranteed money and that should get it done.

If you want to win the Superbowl EVER you don't let Elite 26 year old lineman get away from you. No Offense, but any plan involving letting him walk is a terrible one. Him and Fitzpatrick are the only two non replaceable players we have. The rest of these guys are absolutely replaceable with draft picks/young players. 

if we don't get a deal done with him, his tag is 14+ mil. Right off the bat, without signing or releasing anyone,  we would have 5 mil of cap space for the entire off season to sign our own FAs, draft and other UFA. It's not feasible to keep him on a tag. If we don't sign up long term, we most likely tag n trade him. We should get a first for him, which can be used to pick up two Edge rushers in the first, if we wanted to go that route. I don't want him gone, but he's not playing here on a tag, that's almost guaranteed. 

Good write up , I would disagree about MO though , gotta keep him. 

honestly everyone would love to keep MO in the perfect world but the DL is our deepest position, some would argue a bit too deep, and when that happens you just cant start dishing out 15 mil salaries to a position that does not have such a glamorous outcome in a 3-4 defense. If this team starts to target fast LB's in the draft/FA and speeds up the middle of this defense you WILL start to see the money shift to the areas this current GM/HC philosophy's dictate. It may not be the popular decision to let MO go but it may be the best to get this defense where they want it to be. Keep in mind the most important part of a good 3-4 defense is the LB's, history tells us that and not much has changed in that respect over the past 20 years. Good fast LB's can help against quick slants, cover RB's and TE's out of the backfield, and can keep runners from attacking us on the outside with speed . DLine in the 3-4 have a very different job and as I said its not glamorous and in no way does it include paying players 15 mil a year. Mo would do much better in a 4-3 scheme. Right now I feel our most important player on the DL is Harrison he is a damn good football player and he's that rare NT that's very hard to find that anchors most of what a 3-4 is all about

If Fitzpatrick & his agent want 10 million & Mac pays it I'm not even watching the season! Fitz is a stopgap QB who needs everything else firing on all cylinders to have consistent success, and we won't have success with a strapped salary cap.

This teams depth already reared it's ugly head in our special teams & having Ivory dinged up and especially not having Powell for the Bills game (Powell plays I'm positive we win that game). He was sorely missed.

If Mac gives in to Mo & his agents demands we're f*cked. You can't have 2 defensive players making close to 16 million. Especially when you already have Williams & Sheldon. I think Resigning Harrison for 4 million is a no brainer. 

Anyone could see that the Jets biggest problem is defending the short spaces of the field. We were better off in 3rd & 2, than 3rd & 7. At least 3rd & 2 teams were stupid enough to try and run.

Fix the speed at LB, and it will change the entire dynamic of our defense. We have enough good CBs & safeties. We have enough muscle up front & in the trenches. We need a player that can bend the edge & LBs that can cover in short spaces. Even Bowles mentioned we need more speed. Obviously he's talking about LB & pass rushers.

I would trade Mo if possible & make a run at Danny Trevathon of Denver. Than I look for another LB & a stud RB that can catch out of the backfield in the 1st round. I resign Powell & let all the the other RBs go. I go Powell, 1st round pick, then see who's left after free agency fallout & also try to sign an UDFA after the draft for the practice squad (Mac found Foster). 

Finally, I get tough with Dbrick & his agent. Great Jet, great career, 14 million is ridiculous for the 6th worst LT in giving up QB pressures. Keep in mind, Fitz was getting rid of the ball quickly & running, which is another indictment of DBricks overall play.

The only other free agency splash would be looking for a older hold the fort RT after cutting Breno (who's been horrible). I don't know who's available but we need to draft someone to groom, but if we want to COMPETE next year, we need someone with experience that can step right in. So, 2 minor free agent splashes at LB, RT, drafting top 3 picks, LB, RB, OT, in whatever order it works out. Mac will figure out CBs, safeties, we have plenty of bodies to pick from. Go Mac! 

I got news for ya every QB in this league needs the whole offense firing on all cylinders not just Fitz ..... if you want a QB that does it all and wins a bunch of games every single year then gets exposed in the playoffs because one or 2 of those so called "cylinders" is not firing its going to be the same outcome . Would have been nice to have Dan Marino back in the day ...right ? would it also have been nice not to win a SB because we failed to surround said QB with what was necessary to win ? Think a QB like Aaron Rodgers is not missing Jordy Nelson ? It goes both ways you can't win without a QB and you can't win with a QB and no talent around him. QB's that so called "do it all" wind up getting their asses beat in the playoffs. They always do. We all know the Mannings Bradys Brees Rodgers Rothlesbergers of the world can win SB's but we have also seen them fail when the parts around them start to get older or traded or hurt. They can't do it themselves and the proof is out there every single year. Not to mention most NFL players get nic'd up and beat up year after year they just can't perform at the level they did when they won a SB. Sometimes everything needs to click just right to win a SB just ;look at the lucky ass Giants to figure that out .

if were talking "its all about the QB" then the greatest regular season QB should have a boat load of SB's right ? Well how many Does Peyton Manning have ? Dan Marino ?

Now in tha case of Fitz ...you know the guy you wont watch for 10 mil per ... he did what he did this year with no TE and no receiving back for about 80 percent of the season. He accounted for 33 TD's do you think that number wont go up if we fill those holes with some dynamic players ? Will he be worth 10 mil a year if he throws 30 + TD's every year ? I think he would because in reality who else you going to get that kind of production from on short notice ? The answer is no one. Also keep in mind the odds of drafting the next Tom Brady or any other elite QB for that matter are very very low and even if we do or even if Petty is that guy you may not see that for 2-4 more years if Fitz keeps up what he did this year .

if we don't get a deal done with him, his tag is 14+ mil. Right off the bat, without signing or releasing anyone,  we would have 5 mil of cap space for the entire off season to sign our own FAs, draft and other UFA. It's not feasible to keep him on a tag. If we don't sign up long term, we most likely tag n trade him. We should get a first for him, which can be used to pick up two Edge rushers in the first, if we wanted to go that route. I don't want him gone, but he's not playing here on a tag, that's almost guaranteed. 

I hate the term edge rushers I like the term LB . Edge rushers are always a gamble its much easier to target guys who can actually play the position all over the field rather than looking for some part time edge rushing specialist. In a defense that pushed the limits with aggressive play and blitzes you can create your own pressure with fast LB's that can play every down .... What that does is also help disguise such blitzes without having to bring in the edge rushers therefore losing the element of surprise. Sure in cases where you have a Charles Haley or another HOF type pass rusher where it does not matter are few and far between I think trying to draft those guys with all the projects we have seen fail in present years is a big mistake. Draft football players not projects and not edge rushers.

Oh, one more reason other that the cap (obviously) to prefer Harrison over Mo.  We will be (should be) getting fasted and lighter at LB over time as we sign guys that can cover.  So that means our LB's will be less efficient at run stopping.  Harrison is out best run stuffer.  Enough said.   

I got news for ya every QB in this league needs the whole offense firing on all cylinders not just Fitz ..... if you want a QB that does it all and wins a bunch of games every single year then gets exposed in the playoffs because one or 2 of those so called "cylinders" is not firing its going to be the same outcome . Would have been nice to have Dan Marino back in the day ...right ? would it also have been nice not to win a SB because we failed to surround said QB with what was necessary to win ? Think a QB like Aaron Rodgers is not missing Jordy Nelson ? It goes both ways you can't win without a QB and you can't win with a QB and no talent around him. QB's that so called "do it all" wind up getting their asses beat in the playoffs. They always do. We all know the Mannings Bradys Brees Rodgers Rothlesbergers of the world can win SB's but we have also seen them fail when the parts around them start to get older or traded or hurt. They can't do it themselves and the proof is out there every single year. Not to mention most NFL players get nic'd up and beat up year after year they just can't perform at the level they did when they won a SB. Sometimes everything needs to click just right to win a SB just ;look at the lucky ass Giants to figure that out .

if were talking "its all about the QB" then the greatest regular season QB should have a boat load of SB's right ? Well how many Does Peyton Manning have ? Dan Marino ?

Now in tha case of Fitz ...you know the guy you wont watch for 10 mil per ... he did what he did this year with no TE and no receiving back for about 80 percent of the season. He accounted for 33 TD's do you think that number wont go up if we fill those holes with some dynamic players ? Will he be worth 10 mil a year if he throws 30 + TD's every year ? I think he would because in reality who else you going to get that kind of production from on short notice ? The answer is no one. Also keep in mind the odds of drafting the next Tom Brady or any other elite QB for that matter are very very low and even if we do or even if Petty is that guy you may not see that for 2-4 more years if Fitz keeps up what he did this year .

WTF are you talking about? If you pay Fitz 10 million, you won't be able to field a team good enough to win the Super Bowl so who cares? Chris Ivory was wide open in the flat on that forced throw to Decker. For a Havard Grad it was a horrible decision, for a veteran like Fitz it was STUPID, but it's not like he hasn't melted down before. 

Im all in on Fitz at 7 million with incentives, (TDs, win, playoffs, SB).

WTF are you talking about? If you pay Fitz 10 million, you won't be able to field a team good enough to win the Super Bowl so who cares? Chris Ivory was wide open in the flat on that forced throw to Decker. For a Havard Grad it was a horrible decision, for a veteran like Fitz it was STUPID, but it's not like he hasn't melted down before. 

Im all in on Fitz at 7 million with incentives, (TDs, win, playoffs, SB).

So dump our 30 TD QB because your worried about 3 mil ? tell me man WTF are YOU talking about ...

I don't give a flying **** that he went to Harvard so stop with that ridiculously stupid crap. The games we lost this year were a team effort . We played bad football as a team in most of our losses Fitz was the least of our problems.

As for the Pass to Decker and your explanation why he should have gone another direction exposes your lack of football knowledge. The pass to Decker was a timing play the pre snap read was a one on one situation Fitz NEVER looked at Ivory because he had the Matchup he wanted with Decker being one on one. The defender in that case made a fantastic play and the ball was thrown before the WR/DB even made a break on the ball. You do realize defenders make great plays from time to time no matter how good a match up you may think you have. Maybe if Decker looks up a split second earlier he could have shortened his route and made a play on the ball. Either way that's the worst example of blaming Fitz because 90 % of the QB's in the NFL would have made that same throw in that situation based on what the defense was showing pre snap. Now if that was a double or triple team I would agree with you 100 % but it was not. Fitz made the right read and throw and the defender made a great play.... end of story.

So dump our 30 TD QB because your worried about 3 mil ? tell me man WTF are YOU talking about ...

I don't give a flying **** that he went to Harvard so stop with that ridiculously stupid crap. The games we lost this year were a team effort . We played bad football as a team in most of our losses Fitz was the least of our problems.

As for the Pass to Decker and your explanation why he should have gone another direction exposes your lack of football knowledge. The pass to Decker was a timing play the pre snap read was a one on one situation Fitz NEVER looked at Ivory because he had the Matchup he wanted with Decker being one on one. The defender in that case made a fantastic play and the ball was thrown before the WR/DB even made a break on the ball. You do realize defenders make great plays from time to time no matter how good a match up you may think you have. Maybe if Decker looks up a split second earlier he could have shortened his route and made a play on the ball. Either way that's the worst example of blaming Fitz because 90 % of the QB's in the NFL would have made that same throw in that situation based on what the defense was showing pre snap. Now if that was a double or triple team I would agree with you 100 % but it was not. Fitz made the right read and throw and the defender made a great play.... end of story.

I'm all for keeping Fitz but I find it hard to believe that throwing an interception when you're staring at a chip shot field goal to take the lead late in a win and in game because you pre programmed yourself to throw the ball and didn't deviate from that one inch is a normal football play, so "Oopsie! Great play defender!"

I'm all for keeping Fitz but I find it hard to believe that throwing an interception when you're staring at a chip shot field goal to take the lead late in a win and in game because you pre programmed yourself to throw the ball and didn't deviate from that one inch is a normal football play, so "Oopsie! Great play defender!"

agreed that was a $h*tty decision & $h*tty play

he had much more good decisions & good plays in crunch time though out the year than bad ... And more good plays at the QB position than we've seen since at least '98

bringing him in at 10 mil a year is well worth it ... If Big Mac gets him to sign for anything lower than that I would fly him & Grimace out to Key West and give them both handy' at the same time while they drink margarita's and watch the sunset !

Good post OP but I think you are a little short on Fitz's eventual #'s.

i also think Ivory is the 1st guy gone ... Sad to see ... But due to the nature of his position, age, & running style ... It will be the right move.

i don't see both Mo & Sheldon being in the longterm plans ... If they think Sheldon can stay away from bong rips after a full season with him, then I agree with letting Mo move on & getting what we can for him (plus keeping snacks)

I hate the term edge rushers I like the term LB . Edge rushers are always a gamble its much easier to target guys who can actually play the position all over the field rather than looking for some part time edge rushing specialist. In a defense that pushed the limits with aggressive play and blitzes you can create your own pressure with fast LB's that can play every down .... What that does is also help disguise such blitzes without having to bring in the edge rushers therefore losing the element of surprise. Sure in cases where you have a Charles Haley or another HOF type pass rusher where it does not matter are few and far between I think trying to draft those guys with all the projects we have seen fail in present years is a big mistake. Draft football players not projects and not edge rushers.

When I say edge rusher, I really mean an OLB that can actually get to the QB. Of course, we want him to be able to bring down the RB or run with the TEs. 

Good post OP but I think you are a little short on Fitz's eventual #'s.

i also think Ivory is the 1st guy gone ... Sad to see ... But due to the nature of his position, age, & running style ... It will be the right move.

i don't see both Mo & Sheldon being in the longterm plans ... If they think Sheldon can stay away from bong rips after a full season with him, then I agree with letting Mo move on & getting what we can for him (plus keeping snacks)

Thanks. I've been told about Fitz' numbers. I feel 6 mil per plus an extra 1-2 mil in incentives is more than fair for a QB severely limited to the talent around him (while also limiting the talent around him at the same time). 

Thanks. I've been told about Fitz' numbers. I feel 6 mil per plus an extra 1-2 mil in incentives is more than fair for a QB severely limited to the talent around him (while also limiting the talent around him at the same time). 

So, if Fritz wants market value you let him walk?  Who is your starter?  Geno? Some other FA that you can get for your 6m+2m price?

Dream on.   

Archived