Jets 2016 Salary Cap

j4jets

Yeah I know Sperm and if it were to come down to the field goal and we still lost due to a buffalo TD it would have been "Damn Fitz could not get us in the endzone" it never ends just be happy we have a good QB on a win now team. There will be no rookies stepping in Geno is a hot ******* mess and there are no free agents worth a crap and even if they were they would have to learn a new offense Fitz already knows. You will have to deal with Fitz for at least the next 2-3 years and once we get a real weapon in the backfield and out TE back things may get even better. Early on Fitz knew the offense the team was still learning as the year progressed the fit seemed perfect to me. ALL QB's have good days and bad days just that with this ridiculous fan base a few bad days = a terrible QB then all the bullsh*t starts spewing out. Even when the QB in question just had the best year this franchise has ever seen.

The buffalo loss was a team loss and were most of the other losses and yes Fitz is part of this team but we had 2 losses due to Special Teams break downs and 2 other loses due to ridiculous turnovers and dropped passes Guess those were Fitz fault too.

You have made up all these scenarios in your head of what would have happened. 90% of NFL QBs would have made the same decision and would have thrown an interception there. If we only got a FG then everyone would have blamed Fitzpatrick for not getting a TD. It's baseless straw man stuff. You have nothing to back it up, it didn't happen, and you are making arguments against things that didn't happen. What did happen is he blew it. HE knows he blew it. But you know better than he does himself. 

The Buffalo game certainly was a team loss. But the biggest play of the game, causing a difference in the score and the momentum when it was on the line, was Fitzpatrick throwing the first of his 4th quarter picks. 

And thank you for illustrating my point to JF80 that if you don't want Fitz to return no matter what then we can only end up with Geno Smith starting. 

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was the other thing I forgot to mention was the down. This wasn't the last play of the game or even in the series. It was freaking 2nd down on Buffalo's 14 yard line. We didn't need a TD for a lead, or even to get a new set of downs.

Completely moronic, and Fitzpatrick is more than aware of it. It is ludicrous that Gailey's call was for Fitzpatrick to throw it no matter what and let the chips fall where they may.

Screw-ups do happen, but a smart + veteran QB is not supposed to make those types of screw-ups. 

It was not only a horrendous play on its own, it was worse given the situation.  There's no way to defend it or blame anyone other than Fitz.  It shouldn't happen, you're right.  But unfortunately it did.  

But that "wiggle room" requires that those who want to let Fitz walk for any reason other than wanting too much money provide an option for us.  With Drew Brees likely returning to New Orleans, I just don't see the options out there.  It's not black/white thinking, it's pragmatism.  Going into mid-March with only Petty and Geno on the roster doesn't leave us any of that "wiggle room".  It means we start Geno, Petty, a rookie, or a terrible free agent.  None of those choices are better than Fitzpatrick.

Not necessarily. Too big of a contract for Fitzpatrick and we're not contenders anyway (frankly we're still probably not without a joke schedule next year, but that's different). 

It's not just too big of a contract next year. It's that it could be too big for next year and the year after that.

You never know what other options will be in front of you if you make your decision too abruptly. That happened when the team guaranteed Sanchez for 2 more seasons in early-mid March. It happened when Fitzpatrick thew the ball before assessing whether or not Decker was wide open enough to unnecessarily risk the game on one throw. This time last year was Brandon Marshall an option for this team (for only a 5th round pick at that)?

There will be other options. Better options than guaranteeing Fitzpatrick multiple seasons at $12M (if not more). You just don't know what they are right now.

I'm just going to sit here and refuse to believe you exist.

SOJF would be correct then. Any mediocre season by a Jet QB n SOJFs think they found a HoF. Please also refuse to believe we missed the playoffs. 

You're correct.  I'm just not sure why so many are extrapolating that because of this mistake, we need a change at QB.  I remember you yourself saying in the game thread after that pick that "Fitz sucks".  Is that fair?  Fitz had something like 4-5 moments this season where I wanted to cover my face in shame.  There's been about 20+ moments per season like that with our previous QB's.  That's a pretty substantial difference between Fitz and a QB that "sucks".

No, he's just not an elite or great QB.  We've known this from the start that he has limitations that makes this impossible.  I'm just not sure what the plan would be at QB if Fitz isn't the guy in 2016.

I agree, am of the mistakes happen and you weigh what he accomplished for us vs the bad plays.  It also doesn't mean you get rid of Fitz

But there's also the blame everyone else or blindly defend the throw in that situation.  That's wrong.  

You have made up all these scenarios in your head of what would have happened. 90% of NFL QBs would have made the same decision and would have thrown an interception there. If we only got a FG then everyone would have blamed Fitzpatrick for not getting a TD. It's baseless straw man stuff. You have nothing to back it up, it didn't happen, and you are making arguments against things that didn't happen. What did happen is he blew it. HE knows he blew it. But you know better than he does himself. 

The Buffalo game certainly was a team loss. But the biggest play of the game, causing a difference in the score and the momentum when it was on the line, was Fitzpatrick throwing the first of his 4th quarter picks. 

And thank you for illustrating my point to JF80 that if you don't want Fitz to return no matter what then we can only end up with Geno Smith starting. 

Do you think for one second we'd get even one these excuses for that throw if Geno thew that pass for the INT in that or any other game?   I'm guessing the 90% of all QBs would throw that pass would never see a post by anyone

You're correct.  I'm just not sure why so many are extrapolating that because of this mistake, we need a change at QB.  I remember you yourself saying the game thread after that pick that "Fitz sucks". 

Fitz had something like 4-5 moments this season where I wanted to cover my face in shame.  There's been about 25+ moments per season like that with our previous QB's.  That's a pretty substantial difference.  No, he's just not an elite or great QB.  We've known this from the start that he has limitations that makes this impossible.  I'm just not sure what the plan would be at QB if Fitz isn't the guy in 2016.

But that's the reality for 2016. We had no one else in 2015 other than Geno Catpiss Smith, and there is no one else in 2016.  We were fortunate to have Fitzy come in and exceeded expectations.  So he made a bad play and it cost us the game BUT he didn't lose it alone.  Blame goes to everyone....Ivory for being hurt all the damn time, blame Revis for being used like a rag doll by Watkins, blame Bullhead for missing a chip shot, blame Bowles for a terrible D scheme, blame the wr's for the droppsies.  Fitz doesn't take ALL the blame here.  And for 2016, there is no one else just like 2015.  Mac isn't going to mortgage the future for a QB.  He may draft another but it will take another year to develop Petty or a new guy.  With all his flaws, Fitz had an amazing season.  Is he in the class of the elite QB's? No, but can you win a SB with him if you have a more complete team? YES!  This team improved considerably from 2014 but  significant weaknesses reared their ugly head in 2015. With some tweaks, FA's, draft signings we can improve those areas...OL, LB, WR, K, ST depth.  Bowles and Gailey have a year under their belt together and should improve their chemistry with the players on O and D.   With one year in, Mac also will make changes to the roster as he sees fit.  Everyone wants to make Fitzy the scapegoat here.  He was the reason we were even entertaining playoff talk.  Finding an elite or even very good QB is not very simple.  If it was that simple every team would have one. FitzyMagic will return and we will be better next year.          

Not necessarily. Too big of a contract for Fitzpatrick and we're not contenders anyway (frankly we're still probably not without a joke schedule next year, but that's different). 

It's not just too big of a contract next year. It's that it could be too big for next year and the year after that.

You never know what other options will be in front of you if you make your decision too abruptly. That happened when the team guaranteed Sanchez for 2 more seasons in early-mid March. It happened when Fitzpatrick thew the ball before assessing whether or not Decker was wide open enough to unnecessarily risk the game on one throw. This time last year was Brandon Marshall an option for this team (for only a 5th round pick at that)?

There will be other options. Better options than guaranteeing Fitzpatrick multiple seasons at $12M (if not more). You just don't know what they are right now.

I don't advocate spending $12M+ on Fitzpatrick.  Hopefully he gives us a decent hometown discount for the ability to not have to play for his 4th different team in as many years.  And if he does then he's clearly the best option. 

Your statement that "there will be better options" simply isn't true.  We have the 20th pick in a questionable QB class and no one is letting halfway decent QB's go at this point.  The Redskins aren't letting Cousins walk, the Saints aren't trading Brees, and the end result in the free agent market will be a whole mess of trash.  So we'd go into camp with Geno, Petty, and an equally unappealing 3rd option as our QB's. 

There's a huge difference between 30 and 40 traders. And as a kicker, you are expected to make such a kick with ease...every time. 

He's the same guy who missed a 40 in Dallas and an extra point.

Look, it was a bad pass.  No debating.  Bad pass.  I do understand going for it though.

How'd the chip shot to win go last night for the Vikings?

I agree, am of the mistakes happen and you weigh what he accomplished for us vs the bad plays.  It also doesn't mean you get rid of Fitz

But there's also the blame everyone else or blindly defend the throw in that situation.  That's wrong.  

It's a pity it was intercepted but here is a bit of back round on the play:

Fitzpatrick's end-zone interception. The Jets used a play they saw from the Washington Redskins two weeks earlier. In that game, Jordan Reed beat Bills cornerback Leodis McKelvin on a post route with a single-high safety in the middle of the field -- an 18-yard touchdown. McKelvin defended it so poorly that it's easy to see why the Jets dialed up the same play. They tried it from the Bills' 14 -- against the same coverage, no less. This time, McKelvin saw it coming. He was in better position than receiver Eric Decker and ... well, you know the rest.

Fitzy getting anywhere close to the $12 mil range you mentioned would be a crime. Take it to the bank. 

just like your phantom pick six that didn't happen ??? You're made up scenarios are no better than mine bud :P

I don't advocate spending $12M+ on Fitzpatrick.  Hopefully he gives us a decent hometown discount for the ability to not have to play for his 4th different team in as many years.  And if he does then he's clearly the best option. 

Your statement that "there will be better options" simply isn't true.  We have the 20th pick in a questionable QB class and no one is letting halfway decent QB's go at this point.  The Redskins aren't letting Cousins walk, the Saints aren't trading Brees, and the end result in the free agent market will be a whole mess of trash.  So we'd go into camp with Geno, Petty, and an equally unappealing 3rd option as our QB's. 

I will also say this 80  Lets say a guy like Drew Brees is available do you sign a guy like that at 37 years old who does not know this offense and that will probably be coming off foot surgery when you already have a QB that knows the offense and has shown to have a very good chemistry with his receivers ? Also Brees is not immune to the interception so the guy would come here become a NY Jet and Sperm Edwards would then give us lectures on how much he sucks.

Keeping in Mind Fitz did this with no TE no real H-back and no real receiving back .... You fill those spots and Fitz improves on what he did this year.

I think the money spent of Fitz will be in the 8-10 mil range with the possibility he takes less for the team

What were the better options available for the 2013 season, after Manning said no thanks, in March of 2012?

You simply are unaware of what you're unaware of. You don't know who will clearly be a good starter as a rookie in 2016 any more than you clearly know what veteran is attainable. Every year there are players who we shoulda/coulda gotten instead.

Fitz being a better QB than Smith doesn't come close to meaning you lock the team into him for the upcoming year (let alone the upcoming 2 seasons). 'Cause we're not getting to a Super Bowl with Fitzpatrick and a normal difficulty NFL schedule anyway. 

I'd cap the offer at $7-8M with no guarantees beyond the upcoming season. If he scoffs at that, so be it. 

I will also say this 80  Lets say a guy like Drew Brees is available do you sign a guy like that at 37 years old who does not know this offense and that will probably be coming off foot surgery when you already have a QB that knows the offense and has shown to have a very good chemistry with his receivers ? Also Brees is not immune to the interception so the guy would come here become a NY Jet and Sperm Edwards would then give us lectures on how much he sucks.

Keeping in Mind Fitz did this with no TE no real H-back and no real receiving back .... You fill those spots and Fitz improves on what he did this year.

Yes, I would get Brees, even after adding to your list the fact that he is a dome QB who doesn't perform well in cold weather outdoor games.  While I think we have a GM and HC in place who have a long term plan, sometimes it's worth it to "go for it" while you can. With guys like Marshall and Revis, who won't be here 5 years down the road, a move for Brees is a move to maximize our window to win a title in the next 2 years.

i can't possibly imagine Brees coming available, but if he does, that would be the only reason in my mind to let Fitz walk, other than Fitz asking for too much money.

Yes, I would get Brees, even after adding to your list the fact that he is a dome QB who doesn't perform well in cold weather outdoor games.  While I think we have a GM and HC in place who have a long term plan, sometimes it's worth it to "go for it" while you can. With guys like Marshall and Revis, who won't be here 5 years down the road, a move for Brees is a move to maximize our window to win a title in the next 2 years.

i can't possibly imagine Brees coming available, but if he does, that would be the only reason in my mind to let Fitz walk, other than Fitz asking for too much money.

Well I can tell you this Brees relys a lot on TE's and RB's more so than any other QB in the NFL. He was the dump off king for years using his RB's more than anyone. If you think he would come in here with a new offense and a 20 mil salary and get anything done then you're thinking too much in the way of what Brees did in the perfect scenario that fit him well. This offense does not fit him and to have him at 37 learning this new offense taking him out of the game hes been playing for 10 + years would be an epic mistake. Same way I bashed Kubiak for trying to change Peyton Manning . This would turn into a media frenzy that would read only the Jets can screw up Brees and we most certainly would. Not to mention we would have zero money to sign anyone

Brees is one of those guys who would have worked 5 years ago at the age of 32 not 37

I think Fitz gets even better next year and I think Macc will get him what he needs to succeed at TE at #3 WR and ant RB .

'Cause we're not getting to a Super Bowl with Fitzpatrick and a normal difficulty NFL schedule anyway. 

Of course we can. Even average QBs can and have made the super bowl in recent years by elevating their play and getting hot at the right time. Just another example of you not letting facts be facts because you're letting your eyes see only the negatives. All year long you complained about how many points we "left on the board" with Fitz while ignoring that in the categories that mattered (like 4th quarter performance) Fitz was good enough to be a playoff QB. Meanwhile, QB play around the rest of the conference was less than stellar as Peyton and Brady age and other teams go through the QB carousel.

This is a pretty solid situation we have here, but you prefer the devil we don't know. That's fine for thinking beyond 2016, but you fail to acknowledge that if Fitz accepts s reasonable deal, we can still draft a QB early and plan ahead anyways.

What were the better options available for the 2013 season, after Manning said no thanks, in March of 2012?

You simply are unaware of what you're unaware of. You don't know who will clearly be a good starter as a rookie in 2016 any more than you clearly know what veteran is attainable. Every year there are players who we shoulda/coulda gotten instead.

Fitz being a better QB than Smith doesn't come close to meaning you lock the team into him for the upcoming year (let alone the upcoming 2 seasons). 'Cause we're not getting to a Super Bowl with Fitzpatrick and a normal difficulty NFL schedule anyway. 

I'd cap the offer at $7-8M with no guarantees beyond the upcoming season. If he scoffs at that, so be it. 

I think $8 is where many sane people think he can be signed for, but ask yourself this; what other team in the league is going to pay Fitzpatrick $8 mil a year? I'd bet it's close to zero.

His situation with this team would not be similar with many others; solid WR duo, running game and defense, thus leaving many other teams less enticed to want to sign a player like him at this stage of his career.

I would not be surprised to see him sign at $5-6 mil to stay with the Jets, or at the very least they will low ball him on the initial offer.

I think $8 is where many sane people think he can be signed for, but ask yourself this; what other team in the league is going to pay Fitzpatrick $8 mil a year? I'd bet it's close to zero.

His situation with this team would not be similar with many others; solid WR duo, running game and defense, thus leaving many other teams less enticed to want to sign a player like him at this stage of his career.

I would not be surprised to see him sign at $5-6 mil to stay with the Jets, or at the very least they will low ball him on the initial offer.

I've said this many times. Of the other 32 teams, name me ONE where bringing in Fitz as a STARTER makes sense? The answer is ZERO. The Jets are his perfect opportunity & no doubt the best most comfortable fit. So while his agent might be licking his chops, there's really no where else for him to go. Not one team is signing him for over 6 million to be their backup.

Jets are getting a hometown discount on his base salary filled with performance based incentives. Cause there ain't no way he's choosing to move his family to Cleveland & the Texans already got rid of him for a 7th round pick (now a 6th). Seriously, where else is he going?

Of course we can. Even average QBs can and have made the super bowl in recent years by elevating their play and getting hot at the right time. Just another example of you not letting facts be facts because you're letting your eyes see only the negatives. All year long you complained about how many points we "left on the board" with Fitz while ignoring that in the categories that mattered (like 4th quarter performance) Fitz was good enough to be a playoff QB. Meanwhile, QB play around the rest of the conference was less than stellar as Peyton and Brady age and other teams go through the QB carousel.

This is a pretty solid situation we have here, but you prefer the devil we don't know. That's fine for thinking beyond 2016, but you fail to acknowledge that if Fitz accepts s reasonable deal, we can still draft a QB early and plan ahead anyways.

Uh, Fitz's "4th quarter performance," with the season on the line, is the reason you're projecting his perceived sunny side instead of watching the Jets in the playoffs. 

If that's it then I'm totally fine but I don't know if that's the case. All it takes is one desperate team to see 30+ TDs and say he's therefore worth Alex Smith (or Alex Smith-light) money. A team now, with the kind of cap space we had a year ago, in disarray, who is willing to forgo the chance at better talent and ability just to get some immediate needed leadership n the huddle, like SF (with or without dumping Kaepernick).

The good news - which I didn't really look at until your post - is there aren't too many teams who would even want him at average (FA) starter money because they already have better, already have their young up-and-comer, or are already too locked into someone else; and then sift through any remaining, with the cap space to overpay/overbid for Fitzpatrick. 

My concern isn't (or wasn't) so much throwing an extra $3M at him (above $5M). It was more in locking us into him so much that we don't make as much of an attempt to find an upgrade.  But the numbers you're talking about are a no-brainier since it's high end backup money.

Uh, Fitz's "4th quarter performance," with the season on the line, is the reason you're projecting his perceived sunny side instead of watching the Jets in the playoffs. 

Week 2:  After the Colts cut the Jets lead to 10-7 with 10:16 remaining in the game, Fitz leads a TD drive where he goes 4-6 for 56 yards, finishing with a 15-yard TD to Marshall.  On his next possession he leads a FG drive to seal the game.

Week 13:  Trailing 20-10 to the Giants with 8:42 remaining in the game and starting from his own 14, Fitz leads a FG drive with only pass plays, going 7-11 for 80 yards to cut the lead to 20-13.  He then ties up the game with a TD drive where he goes 6-8 for 61 yards, along with a 15-yard run of his own, to tie up the game with 32 seconds remaining.  In OT he leads what turns out to be the game-winning drive, going 5-8 for 53 yards. 

Week 15:  With the game tied 16-16 @ Dallas and 2:00 left in the game, Fitz leads the game-winning FG drive, going 3-3 for 52 yards, including a 43-yarder to Kenbrell Thompkins.

Week 16:  After the Patriots send the game into overtime, the Jets drive down the field in 5 plays, with Fitz going 3-3 for 74 yards and the game-winning TD to Decker.

In these game-tying/game-winning/game on the line situations above, Fitz was 28-39 (71.7%) for 376 yards (9.6 ypa), 3 TD's, and 0 INT's.

In short, without these 4 late wins, we're not in position to have a "win and in" situation against Buffalo in the first place.  Those were playoff-caliber performances.  I don't understand where your negativity comes from, especially given how badly our QB's have played in ALL situations the last 6 years, but it's not steeped in reality. 

I get that you don't want to overpay the guy, and I don't either, but this is about the best QB play you could ask for out of a guy who has bounced around the league, was had for a 7th rounder, and likely won't break the bank on a 2-3 year deal.  Meanwhile, we once invested a top 5 pick and a massive contract extension to Mark f-ing Sanchez.  And $64M to Chad Pennington.  Etc etc.

Our Free agents:

Wilkerson - We will tag him by all indications, that is what probably $15,000,000?

Fitz - This will be interesting, probably offer him a two year deal, tough to nail down the price becasue there are a lot of medium level or worse QB's who 'got paid' driving up the price for a QB.  Hopefully Fitz will realize this is the best place for him and not try and grind the team too badly, 7.5 per year maybe?

Ivory - Another interesting one, the guy has produced and despite his slow down at years end I still value him, I'd offer him a 2 year deal with a reasonable raise. 4.25 perhaps?

Snacks - I think he is an absolute goner, he is going to want big dollars and this is his best pay day chance.  Some team is going to offer him something we cannot compete with, let him walk.

Pace - Goodbye, don't even make an offer.

Powell - I'd like to keep him for sure based on his 2nd half season play.  I would not over pay him though, make a reasonable offer with a raise (2.5?)

D. Davis - Let him walk

Antonio Allen - I like the player so I'd make an offer but a modest one.

J. Jarrett - Only one of him or Allen should be around, if Allen leaves then make an offer.

Douzable - Let him walk

Walls - For the sake of Crazy Carl I would have to make an offer but a modest one.

Ridely - Let him walk

Ijalana - Would make a modest offer, we do need someone that can play tackle.

Bowen - Let him walk

Colon - More lives than a cat.  Perhaps make a vet minimum offer but if we draft oline be ready to turf him.

Lattimore - Vet min offer

Owusu - Too bad, I really like this guy but time to move on, let him walk

Kellen Davis - Let him walk

Zach Sudfeld - Modest offer

Erin Henderson - Make a decent offer, would like to keep him.

Ryan Quigley - Tell him the 1st game of the years is in London and that we will meet him there, do not give him return air fare.

Kenbrell Tompkins - Let him walk.

Fat kicker - Let him walk.

Our Free agents:

Wilkerson - We will tag him by all indications, that is what probably $15,000,000?

Snacks - I think he is an absolute goner, he is going to want big dollars and this is his best pay day chance.  Some team is going to offer him something we cannot compete with, let him walk.

Douzable - Let him walk

Bowen - Let him walk

I pretty much agree with your whole post.  I don't have a problem re-upping guys like Colon and Pace who you obviously don't like, but they should be replaced.  My only real question about your philosophy is below:

Are you letting Bowen and Douzable walk because you don't like them or because you are counting on having Wilkerson back with Sheldon and Williams?  I think Douzable played fairly well, he is cheap and played a bunch of specials. I think they will make a fairly sizable offer to Snacks, but if he walks they will need to throw some money or picks at NT.  I have no faith in Deon Simon and I didn't have much in TJ Barnes either.   I think they will tag Wilkerson and explore trading him, so I would like to have some depth guys around.  Douzable is a nice depth player that you'd prefer to replace with someone younger and more athletic.  I'd want him and/or Bowen back and try to replace them with mid to late draft picks and younger guys.  I think Douzable signed a modest deal 1-year deal with a roster bonus and that would be perfect. 

Our Free agents:

Fitz - This will be interesting, probably offer him a two year deal, tough to nail down the price becasue there are a lot of medium level or worse QB's who 'got paid' driving up the price for a QB.  Hopefully Fitz will realize this is the best place for him and not try and grind the team too badly, 7.5 per year maybe?

Ivory - Another interesting one, the guy has produced and despite his slow down at years end I still value him, I'd offer him a 2 year deal with a reasonable raise. 4.25 perhaps?

Pace - Goodbye, don't even make an offer.

Powell - I'd like to keep him for sure based on his 2nd half season play.  I would not over pay him though, make a reasonable offer with a raise (2.5?)

D. Davis - Let him walk

Antonio Allen - I like the player so I'd make an offer but a modest one.

J. Jarrett - Only one of him or Allen should be around, if Allen leaves then make an offer.

Douzable - Let him walk

Walls - For the sake of Crazy Carl I would have to make an offer but a modest one.

Ridely - Let him walk

Ijalana - Would make a modest offer, we do need someone that can play tackle.

Bowen - Let him walk

Colon - More lives than a cat.  Perhaps make a vet minimum offer but if we draft oline be ready to turf him.

Lattimore - Vet min offer

Owusu - Too bad, I really like this guy but time to move on, let him walk

Kellen Davis - Let him walk

Zach Sudfeld - Modest offer

Erin Henderson - Make a decent offer, would like to keep him.

Ryan Quigley - Tell him the 1st game of the years is in London and that we will meet him there, do not give him return air fare.

Kenbrell Tompkins - Let him walk.

Fat kicker - Let him walk.

Love the Quigley line :D I'm in!

I pretty much agree with your whole post.  I don't have a problem re-upping guys like Colon and Pace who you obviously don't like, but they should be replaced.  My only real question about your philosophy is below:

Are you letting Bowen and Douzable walk because you don't like them or because you are counting on having Wilkerson back with Sheldon and Williams?  I think Douzable played fairly well, he is cheap and played a bunch of specials. I think they will make a fairly sizable offer to Snacks, but if he walks they will need to throw some money or picks at NT.  I have no faith in Deon Simon and I didn't have much in TJ Barnes either.   I think they will tag Wilkerson and explore trading him, so I would like to have some depth guys around.  Douzable is a nice depth player that you'd prefer to replace with someone younger and more athletic.  I'd want him and/or Bowen back and try to replace them with mid to late draft picks and younger guys.  I think Douzable signed a modest deal 1-year deal with a roster bonus and that would be perfect. 

Douzable and Bowen I suppose could be retained but I just don't think they bring tons to the table and for sure bring no future improvement.  Now that our front office is well in place I see late round picks or UDFA or even value free agents that are younger taking their place.

Re Snacks, when you look at what DT's and NT's are getting around the league I think he is going to ask for the moon and some team will give it to him.

Wilkerson is our best D lineman and he proved it last year with a full season of production, it would have to be a heck of a trade offer for me to even listen.  I'd trade richardson before Wilkerson no question in my mind.

Archived