The Jets QB Situation

joewilly12

Currently on the roster and under contract is Geno Smith and Bryce Petty 

Fitzpatrick isn't worth throwing big money at to win us 9-10 games and not make the playoffs

The 2016 schedule is a lot tougher 

Why not draft a rookie and let the 3 QBs in camp battle it out for the top spot and use the cap money for other glaring needs OL,LB,RB a pass rusher

Until we can acquire a franchise QB if none of the 3 are them 

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with your premise. Most posters having suffered through 40 years of nothing would rather be competitive than do what is really needed to build long term success. Our owner is the same way. i dont see them rebuilding or handling the QB position like they should.

Why not do both? Have Fitz stay and be a guide for Petty and the draft pick and ease the guy who wins #2 QB into the starting spot on the teams terms. You can rebuild and reload and still be competitive. Lots of teams do it every single season. Hard to get FAs to come to the Jets knowing they're just going to wing it at the most important position in professional sports. 

3 hours ago, faba said:

whatever rookie you would draft is not going to be ready to start- so you have geno and Petty= you like those options?

Yes actually I do Fitz had a great season won us 10 games everyone was giddy but we sat home watching the playoffs do not want to repeat that in 2016. 

Ah yes all the boxes are checked off by the fitz haters closet geno lovers in this one.

1) Totally dismiss Fitz because he is going to cost too much and only win 10 games and essentially have 2 td passes per game.

2) Closet lover of geno by not at all stating the fact that he sucks, is no more of a future of this team than a 2nd year guy and a rookie.

3) Are perfectly happy to sewer a couple of seasons with a team with some age that actually has some pieces to make the playoffs,

I swear some of you guys deserve exactly what the jets have gotten for about 6 or 7 years rookies and youngsters that we have to live with awful awful play for 3 or 4 years until we find out they suck,

Be ready to carve up fitz good next year and the year after because the jets are going to sign him and grossly over pay him  (according to you).  Game on!

32 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Yes actually I do Fitz had a great season won us 10 games everyone was giddy but we sat home watching the playoffs do not want to repeat that in 2016. 

I completely agree with you. Fitz with full camp as undisputed starter, Amaro back, Enunwa getting better, Smith with a full camp, a stud rookie RB, Powell back, Gailey expanding the offense, probably new BETTER RT. 

CANT WAIT!

An NFL team trying to be competitive or even realistic needs to pay its QB a substantial sum of money.   If they can get Fitz to take 8 per year for 2.5 years, I think that is a reasonable cost.  If Petty is better in 2017, Fitz can be an expensive backup.  

To pay Fitz more than that is basically overpaying to have a competitive team that may not make the playoffs.  In the long run, that money is better spent on DL that will be here a long time.

We will know where everyone stands in the next few weeks.  A smart team will realize that Fitz had a good year with alot of help from Gailey, Marshall and Decker.  Without them, he was what he was 2 years ago.  If the Browns, Eagles or someone else want to overpay him, that puts the Jets in a bad spot.

The salary cap will go up over time, and some expensive contracts the Jets gave out (Revis, Gilcrist, Skrine), will run off.  I think the key here is to keep Fitz' cost reasonable on an annual basis, give him the guaranteed money he needs for his family, and extend him the contract out for a longer period than would make sense.  That is basically what Tannenbaum did with Brick's contract.

16 minutes ago, varjet said:

An NFL team trying to be competitive or even realistic needs to pay its QB a substantial sum of money.   If they can get Fitz to take 8 per year for 2.5 years, I think that is a reasonable cost.  If Petty is better in 2017, Fitz can be an expensive backup.  

To pay Fitz more than that is basically overpaying to have a competitive team that may not make the playoffs.  In the long run, that money is better spent on DL that will be here a long time.

We will know where everyone stands in the next few weeks.  A smart team will realize that Fitz had a good year with alot of help from Gailey, Marshall and Decker.  Without them, he was what he was 2 years ago.  If the Browns, Eagles or someone else want to overpay him, that puts the Jets in a bad spot.

The salary cap will go up over time, and some expensive contracts the Jets gave out (Revis, Gilcrist, Skrine), will run off.  I think the key here is to keep Fitz' cost reasonable on an annual basis, give him the guaranteed money he needs for his family, and extend him the contract out for a longer period than would make sense.  That is basically what Tannenbaum did with Brick's contract.

2.5 years?  LMAO.  How great would that be 3 years from now when his contract is up week 8.  I love it!

9 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Why not do both? Have Fitz stay and be a guide for Petty and the draft pick and ease the guy who wins #2 QB into the starting spot on the teams terms. You can rebuild and reload and still be competitive. Lots of teams do it every single season. Hard to get FAs to come to the Jets knowing they're just going to wing it at the most important position in professional sports. 

For one, we will not be competitive next year. Second, we really will not be competitive with Fitz next year. We also dont really need to sign FAs especially any of the Tier1 and Tier 2. We need to rebuild. Completely.

5 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Ah yes all the boxes are checked off by the fitz haters closet geno lovers in this one.

1) Totally dismiss Fitz because he is going to cost too much and only win 10 games and essentially have 2 td passes per game.

2) Closet lover of geno by not at all stating the fact that he sucks, is no more of a future of this team than a 2nd year guy and a rookie.

3) Are perfectly happy to sewer a couple of seasons with a team with some age that actually has some pieces to make the playoffs,

I swear some of you guys deserve exactly what the jets have gotten for about 6 or 7 years rookies and youngsters that we have to live with awful awful play for 3 or 4 years until we find out they suck,

Be ready to carve up fitz good next year and the year after because the jets are going to sign him and grossly over pay him  (according to you).  Game on!

I am not sure if you blindly hate Geno more, or just blindly love Fitz more because you are wrong on both.

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

For one, we will not be competitive next year. Second, we really will not be competitive with Fitz next year. We also dont really need to sign FAs especially any of the Tier1 and Tier 2. We need to rebuild. Completely.

Didn't you say they wouldn't be competitive this year with Fitz too? 

Who do you really think will agree with you that we need to blow the team up, rebuild completely because we won only 10 games last season? 

Who actually believes that and team needs to be blown up in this day and age?  Do you actually watch the games, the league etc?  

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Didn't you say they wouldn't be competitive this year with Fitz too? 

Who do you really think will agree with you that we need to blow the team up, rebuild completely because we won only 10 games last season? 

Who actually believes that and team needs to be blown up in this day and age?  Do you actually watch the games, the league etc?  

Well we can keep chasing our tails and never be crap. Just because we rebuild does nor mean we will be uncompetitive long, but if we think we have another "run" in us we are in for a very rude awakening.

12 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Fitzpatrick isn't worth throwing big money at to win us 9-10 games and not make the playoffs

Why not draft a rookie and let the 3 QBs in camp battle it out for the top spot and use the cap money for other glaring needs OL,LB,RB a pass rusher

Out of all of the possible QB options for 2016 this is THE WORST!!!!!

1 - don't pay reasonable starting QB money to the QB who did an above average job for you last season

2 - have 2 young QB's that won't be ready yet battle a very bad QB  to start for 2016instead !?!?!?!

not only is that going to give us very bad QB play for the year ... It's also more likely than not going to ruin the development of either Petty or a rookie ... So they will be less likely to possibly show promise in future seasons.

somebody been eating retard sandwiches again?

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

Well we can keep chasing our tails and never be crap. Just because we rebuild does nor mean we will be uncompetitive long, but if we think we have another "run" in us we are in for a very rude awakening.

We have more than enough talent to make another run.  There's no chasing our tails.  At this point it's about filling holes.  Not rebuilding the team.   And no rude awakening.  The ones in for a rude awakening are the ones who think there is even a chance that the FO is thinking about a total rebuild.  Ain't happening.  

We can draft another quarterback. We can bring in a bunch of Hall of Famers for Old Timer's Day and imagine what could have been..... But come August, Fitz will be signed and taking his reps. And Bryce will still be studying film with Kevin Patullo. And Geno will be nowhere near starting except maybe in Cleveland.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

16 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

You don't want to miss the playoffs again in 2016 but you think it's okay to go into the season with Geno, Petty, and a draft pick fighting for the starting job? Do you see why those two things don't make sense?

After reading the comments in this topic, I can now see why it's so easy for fans and NFL execs alike to make the mistakes they make on certain prospects minus those prospects who can't seem to stay out of trouble .  Football isn't about stats folks but about people doing the Job they have been assigned to do and doing it well..  Sometimes a player can do his job extremely well and not make a single tackle in a football game. 

What would the stats say about that player  ?

If it takes 10 mil per to sign Fitz I'd do it because it's not really that much for a starting Qb. I'd take winning ten games, too because it usually gets you into the playoffs. We barely missed it in 2015. As for Geno the coaching staff constantly praised him last year and he didn't look bad in the one game he played in. So maybe the guy was on the bench learning after playing his first two seasons and not learning. I wouldn't throw out his development as a player because these are the years that Qbs start to understand how to play Qb in the NFL. This will be his 4th season. Since we suffered thru the learning curve why toss him out when at least the coaching staff publicly is saying he is doing well. Apparently he looks ok in practice and is being a good citizen (and maybe even a good teammate). I'd keep him for 2015 unless the coaching staff believes that Petty right now is better than Geno. 

9 hours ago, ljr said:

Out of all of the possible QB options for 2016 this is THE WORST!!!!!

1 - don't pay reasonable starting QB money to the QB who did an above average job for you last season

2 - have 2 young QB's that won't be ready yet battle a very bad QB  to start for 2016instead !?!?!?!

not only is that going to give us very bad QB play for the year ... It's also more likely than not going to ruin the development of either Petty or a rookie ... So they will be less likely to possibly show promise in future seasons.

somebody been eating retard sandwiches again?

First I hate the use of the word, so lets throw big money at Fitz a mediocre QB who  has never made the playoffs in his career instead of signing other position players that we need and hope Fitz can repeat the best year of his career or do better with a tougher schedule...........yea sign me up ))))))))sarcasm alert((((((((((((((

2 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

You don't want to miss the playoffs again in 2016 but you think it's okay to go into the season with Geno, Petty, and a draft pick fighting for the starting job? Do you see why those two things don't make sense?

Fitzpatrick isn't capable of getting us to the playoffs why waste big money on him we know the outcome he has never made the playoffs in his career. How does the 20th pick look this years and the fact we sat home last season watching the playoffs see any different results coming our way this season. 

22 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Most years, 10 wins gets you into the playoffs.

Mangini's last year, and Rex's first year... we won the same amount of games. Only made the playoffs once.

And...

Oh for ****'s sake, I can't even pretend to want to entertain this with a rational response.

3 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Most years, 10 wins gets you into the playoffs.

Mangini's last year, and Rex's first year... we won the same amount of games. Only made the playoffs once.

And...

Oh for ****'s sake, I can't even pretend to want to entertain this with a rational response.

Almost doesn't count only in horse shoes and hand gernades.....rational response is we didnt make the playoffs nothing more to be said. 

2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Almost doesn't count only in horse shoes and hand gernades.....rational response is we didnt make the playoffs nothing more to be said. 

No, the rational response is "stop whining".

The person being generous in tolerating the whining might say "10 wins a year is going to get you into the playoffs more often, than not".

Just now, Integrity28 said:

No, the rational response is "stop whining".

The person being generous in tolerating the whining might say "10 wins a year is going to get you into the playoffs more often, than not".

Not whining trying to debate my opinions thats all. The fact that this happened isn't whining is it. 

19 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

We missed the playoffs by one game. Fitz was 10-5 as a starter and 5-1 down the stretch, largely playing hurt. Geno was 0-1 as a starter. Draw your own conclusions.

Just now, UpstateJetsGuru said:

We missed the playoffs by one game. Fitz was 10-5 as a starter and 5-1 down the stretch, largely playing hurt. Geno was 0-1 as a starter. Draw your own conclusions.

Thats great!!  Good but not good enough. In the final game when we needed him most he FAILED.

Archived