McShay likes Correa to Jets

AFJF

http://jetswire.usatoday.com/2016/03/02/boise-states-kamalei-correa-could-be-perfect-pick-for-new-york-jets/?utm_content=buffer46852&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Forget Noah Spence for just a second. Don’t think about Leonard Floyd or Shilique Calhoun, either.

While all could develop into solid NFL players after their selection in the 2016 NFL Draft, non quite stick out as much as Boise State’s Kamalei Correa, according to ESPN Draft expert Todd McShay.

There’s just something special there about the versatile linebacker that has caught McShay’s eye ever since he turned on the tape a few weeks ago.

“I was pleasantly surprised,” he said via conference call Wednesday.

Last year with Boise, Correa recorded 36 tackles, nine tackles for a loss and six sacks as a junior. During his three-year collegiate playing career, he brought the quarterback down 19 times, including 12 as a sophomore in 2014.

Scouts have ranted and raved about Correa’s “long speed” and “pursuit motor,” highlighted by a play in which he chased down aUtah State running back 51 yards down the field. McShay has seen all of those same things, and it’s why he believes, with a little work, he could develop into one of the better players to come out of the draft this year.

“I love the way he plays,” McShay said. “He’s aggressive, physical, he’s got some quick-twitch to him. I think the one thing he’s going to continue to prove upon is his hand use and his array of pass-rushing moves.

“I think he fits perfectly when you start to look at him as a 3-4 outside linebacker in a scheme where he can get up the field. ”

Correa’s stock rose just a bit at the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis last week. There, he ran an impressive 4.69 in the 40-yard dash, bench-pressed 225 pounds 21 times, jumped a 33-inch vertical and had a 108-inch broad jump.

What Correa showed scouts is that his physical ability matches what has been displayed on tape.

“He told me he’s got it in his arsenal to drop into coverage and also to play the run,” McShay said. “Physically, I think he has all the tools to be a good starter in this league…Really, over the last two years, he’s just been a dominant player.”

McShay isn’t the first draft analyst to speak glowingly on the 6-3, 243-pound pass rusher. Prior to the combine, the NFL Network’sMike Mayock had nothing but good things to say when it came to him.

Mayock praised his versatility, and highlighted specifically, like McShay, Correa’s never-ending motor.

“He’s one of those 3-4, outside linebacker types,” Mayock said. “Really quick and twitchy off the edge. He’s a tough kid. I like him a lot. I think he makes some sense with what the Jets do.”

So could Correa be the Jets pick? Maybe… the question is just when New York would take him.

Correa will almost certainly be there with the 20th pick, but he could also be there in the second round, too. Just as easily, he could not. Would New York consider reaching a bit to ensure they get him on the team? What about trading up in the second if he gets out of the first? Would they sit pretty and just see what happens?

Well, those are questions Jets GM Mike Maccagnan will certainly be asking himself several times in New York’s war room come the end of April.

Connor Hughes is the New York Jets beat writer for the USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties. He can be reached on Twitter (@Connor_J_Hughes), or via email (chughes@usatoday.com)

As a guy who has played both standing up and with a hand in the dirt, I figured Correa may be an option for the Jets, so I asked him which role teams seemed to be most interested in having him fill...for some reason, he didn't want to talk about it.

2 minutes ago, pointman said:

Why is he mum on that topic?

No idea...it caught me off guard....didn't really see a reason not to answer.  If he didn't want anyone to know, he could've just said "It's been 50/50"

Probably doesn't want to pigeon hole himself as a 3-4 O:LB.  Might be some one who has talked to he about a role in a 4-3.  

Really can't see the Jets taking him at 20.  Unlikely he'll be there in the 2nd.  If he is it will be a blessing, he'll be a contributing player.  Imagine if they take a player like Jaylon Smith, who's played inside well at 20  , and then Correa is there in the 2nd.  Do the Jets really go LB , LB?

Fan base would go insane.  LOL 

1 minute ago, flgreen said:

Probably doesn't want to pigeon hole himself as a 3-4 O:LB.  Might be some one who has talked to he about a role in a 4-3.  

Really can't see the Jets taking him at 20.  Unlikely he'll be there in the 2nd.  If he is it will be a blessing, he'll be a contributing player.  Imagine if they take a player like Jaylon Smith, who's played inside well at 20  , and then Correa is there in the 2nd.  Do the Jets really go LB , LB?

I wouldn't mind LBers in rd 1 and 2 TBH.

33 minutes ago, cant wait said:

His workout numbers aren't all that impressive and the tape doesn't really seem to be either. Seems a little stiff 

Agreed. 

Theres only one OLB that is worth a damn right now at 20 and its Floyd. This pick is gonna come down to him vs a Lineman and he barely is mentioned. 

26 minutes ago, flgreen said:

I think the fanbase would go insane simply due to Jaylon Smith at 20.

52 minutes ago, AFJF said:

No idea...it caught me off guard....didn't really see a reason not to answer.  If he didn't want anyone to know, he could've just said "It's been 50/50"

Agent probably told him to do so. COuld affect draft position and cost him money

Just now, BroadwayJets said:

Agent probably told him to do so. COuld affect draft position and cost him money

Teams are going to see him however they see him.  No competent FO is going to not draft a guy because another team asked him to do something else.  Just my opinion of course.

2 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Teams are going to see him however they see him.  No competent FO is going to not draft a guy because another team asked him to do something else.  Just my opinion of course.

I don't disagree, but I still think it's the agents' doing. Wouldn't put it past some of these kids to say something along the lines of "I feel like I play better standing up", or "I only like putting my hands in the dirt" and have teams second guess. Who knows.

EZ Elliot will be the pick @#20. 

The more I read, see, and hear about the OSU product, the more it seems he's a legit Top10 talent that can carry a team on his shoulders to alleviate the pressure on whoever our starting QB is in 2016 and remain on the field for all 3 downs. I'm starting to become a believer in his abilities. All the better if we get a blue chip talent by staying put at #20. I just hope he's more Todd Gurley than Melvin Gordon. This team has lacked Offensive playmakers for quite some time and EZElliot looks like a plug & play starter from day 1 - which is what you want from your 1st round pick. 

MacCags can pick players later in the draft who can be developed and eventually produce as they mature into their position - Mauldin and I'll bet Deon Simon will do likewise in 2016. This isn't a spectacular draft for PassRushing OLBs and most think Correa will last well into round 2 - Boise St. FB Players havent particularly impressed at the pro level as far as I can remember. 

I LOVE Tyler Ervin from SJS as a late round pick, but Elliot is really starting to grow on me and his attitude of never being satisfied with his performance is very encouraging: Baller Mentality. Hell, I'd draft both if it were upto me.

A STUD RB will alleviate the pressure off the starting QB and present a well balanced offensive team that will humble defenses from over committing to defending only one facet of our offense. 

So if we were to take Elliot in the 1st, like Wu-Tang, "we'll keep feeding you, and feeding you, and feeding you" carries to wear out opposing defenses all day every Sunday. 

3 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

EZ Elliot will be the pick @#20. 

The more I read, see, and hear about the OSU product, the more it seems he's a legit Top10 talent that can carry a team on his shoulders to alleviate the pressure on whoever our starting QB is in 2016 and remain on the field for all 3 downs. I'm starting to become a believer in his abilities. All the better if we get a blue chip talent by staying put at #20. I just hope he's more Todd Gurley than Melvin Gordon. This team has lacked Offensive playmakers for quite some time and EZElliot looks like a plug & play starter from day 1 - which is what you want from your 1st round pick. 

MacCags can pick players later in the draft who can be developed and eventually produce as they mature into their position - Mauldin and I'll bet Deon Simon will do likewise in 2016. This isn't a spectacular draft for PassRushing OLBs and most think Correa will last well into round 2 - Boise St. FB Players havent particularly impressed at the pro level as far as I can remember. 

I LOVE Tyler Ervin from SJS as a late round pick, but Elliot is really starting to grow on me and his attitude of never being satisfied with his performance is very encouraging: Baller Mentality. Hell, I'd draft both if it were upto me.

A STUD RB will alleviate the pressure off the starting QB and present a well balanced offensive team that will humble defenses from over committing to defending only one facet of our offense. 

So if we were to take Elliot in the 1st, like Wu-Tang, "we'll keep feeding you, and feeding you, and feeding you" carries to wear out opposing defenses all day every Sunday. 

I see your quote of Wu-Tang and raise you one quote from NWA "We want EZ, We want EZ!"

13 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Related: Todd McShay looked at the Internet, saw someone mention that Correa will be drafted at some point, googled how to spell "Correa," then found a way to slide him into a mock draft. 

I can't be the only one that wishes auto-correct changed it to gonorrhea. 

14 hours ago, flgreen said:

Imagine if they take a player like Jaylon Smith, who's played inside well at 20  

Jaylon Smith will be lucky to go 120. 

as for this player i wonder how bad the 3-4 OLB need is anyway. They have Mauldin. They have Reilly and Catapano. They signed Freddie Bishop from the CFL. They also have Deion Barnes, Julian Stanford and Taiwan Jones. Obviously there's no Von Miler in the group but the team has worse needs. It would have to be a clear case of BAP at 20 and im not sure this guy McShay is mocking meets that criteria. 

It's all nonsense until he starts playing on a football field. But I would 100% consider this guy long before I would consider Jalon Smith and his f*cked up knee. The Jets should NOT be in the business of drafting PROJECTS with 1st round draft choices. It's the surest way to insure the Jets NEVER get better.

1 hour ago, pointman said:

Did he have an attitude about it??

Just said he'd rather not discuss it.  I Didn't think the question was out of line at all.

19 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I think the fanbase would go insane simply due to Jaylon Smith at 20.

Yeah, your probably right most of the fan base would much rather have a completely healthy pass rusher, like say Gholson, or Coples.

7 hours ago, bitonti said:

Jaylon Smith will be lucky to go 120. 

The draft breakdown podcast told a grizzly story of jaylon smith at the combine.  Apparently he couldn't walk up a set of stairs to take the medical tests.  He also had some kind of brace on his foot because with the nerve damage his ankle might not actually respond when he tries to bend it in some ways.  The guy is a really long way off.  

Not only that, they compared him to Marcus lattimore the talented running back that the 49ers took in the 3rd round a few years ago.  He had the same nerve damage and the nerve never came back.  Apparently lattimore also came out after retiring and said he didn't understand why the 49ers even drafted him because his knee was just so bad.  His expectation was to go I drafted. Jaylon smith might go way later then anyone is imagining.  It's not when the nerve will heal that's making smith drop, it's if the nerve will ever respond at all.  Really sad.

Archived