Ryan Fitzpatrick: MERGED

kelly

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

What does it matter how I would react? I'm not the owner of the Jets, nor am I a member of the Jets' FO, nor do I represent the team in any way. It is totally different to compare that to how any fan would respond.

Well I was attempting to put you in their shoes there, and imagine how they would react. I think you would get an eye roll, or a forced laugh, like That isn't even funny Woody. At most you'll get a please we are working on getting a starter. No way they are going to sit down and explain why it would be a mistake to go into the season with Geno as the #1. That would be like trying to explain that fire is hot. If you don't understand it by now then you never will.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, NYs Stepchild said:

Well I was attempting to put you in their shoes there, and imagine how they would react. I think you would get an eye roll, or a forced laugh, like That isn't even funny Woody. At most you'll get a please we are working on getting a starter. No way they are going to sit down and explain why it would be a mistake to go into the season with Geno as the #1. That would be like trying to explain that fire is hot. If you don't understand it by now then you never will.

My point is he's supposed to keep the team's position to himself. He gains nothing for his team by saying what they would or wouldn't do if their present attempts fail. The upside for him speaking his mind, in telling how the team really feels about players it's trying to acquire or move on from, is that it has no effect. That is the upside. The downside is that people will not only see how they feel, but perhaps how strongly they feel that way by his tone, choice of words, or both. In other words, he should just be quiet and direct all personnel questions to his generally tight-lipped GM. The reporters ask him because he answers them.

6 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

I understand the argument that uncertainty might complicate the way the Jets look at the draft.  But I am not sure that is the case as long as both Fitz and Hoyer are unsigned as of the draft.  Whether before or after the draft the Jets can still play one off the other in negotiating their price.  All they really need is some sense that Hoyer would sign at a reasonable number. 

8 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

I understand the argument that uncertainty might complicate the way the Jets look at the draft.  But I am not sure that is the case as long as both Fitz and Hoyer are unsigned as of the draft.  Whether before or after the draft the Jets can still play one off the other in negotiating their price.  All they really need is some sense that Hoyer would sign at a reasonable number. 

I guess any interest in Fitz and Hoyer can also be used in any negotiations to trade up the draft order. The more options the Jets are perceived to have, the better 

26 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

I dont know if it complicates the way the Jets look at the draft, but it complicates the mockers into who they will draft.

The Jets and Ryan Fitzpatrick are still far apart on a potential new  deal .

Barring a massive alteration in general managerMike Maccagnan's spending plan, a pact will not be reached before the NFL draft, NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Monday, leaving a potential move up for a rookie quarterback wide open for speculation.Fitzpatrick, who is 33, had arguably the best season for a quarterback in franchise history last year, hurling 31 touchdowns over 3,905 yards en route to 10 wins. Only Joe Namath threw for more yards in a season (4,007 in 1967), but that year also came with 28 interceptions. Nobody has thrown for more touchdowns in a single season for the Jets.Last year was the perfect marriage of scheme, timing and talent as the Jets were a game away from reaching the playoffs for the first time since 2010.

Fitzpatrick's relationship with offensive coordinator Chan Gailey goes way back, and it is safe to say that finding an able replacement would be difficult this close to the season. Like most people expected, this will be a waiting game. One side needs to come up and one side needs to come down.As we noted before, Fitzpatrick doesn't have the best record against the common opponents in his division, especially Rex Ryan. He also didn'tperform as well against the better half of the Jets' schedule in 2015. Add in the fact that the team has lost a franchise left tackle and will face Seattle, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Kansas City and Los Angeles, and we might have part of the reason why the team is hesitant to spend too much money.

The Fitzpatrick situation is almost like that of Redskins quarterback Kirk Cousins. In Washington, general manager Scot McCloughan wasn't afraid to overpay for the production. In New York, Maccagnan is biding his time to see if he has to.

>     http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000653687/article/fitzpatrick-jets-likely-wont-get-deal-done-before-draft

Fitz has 3 options:

A. Start for the NYJ and make 7-10 mil for the season

B. Back-up any other team at QB and make 2-4 mil a season

C. Retire

....up to him but the choice seems pretty obvious to me. If you want to play football this year, you take what Mac is offering you. It's way more than you will get anyplace else.

As the Jets begin their offseason program on Monday, the contract limbo they're in with quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick is expected to continue.

That's according to Ian Rapoport of NFL Media :

Barring a significant breakthrough, #Jets & Ryan Fitzpatrick are not expected to have a deal before the draft. Adds intrigue to their draft

I'm not so sure this news affects the Jets' draft strategy all that much, though. Part of the reason the Jets have drawn a line in the sand with Fitzpatrick is because they don't view him as their long-term answer. General manager Mike Maccagnan believes in developing young quarterbacks. Whatever the Jets plan to do to get a quarterback in this year's draft, then, ought not to be affected by whether Fitzpatrick is back in the building.The real intrigue lies in whether the Jets bring in a veteran. The Texans on Sunday released quarterback Brian Hoyer, and Hoyer had been on the Jets' radar last year, before they swung a deal to trade for Fitzpatrick. Josh McCown of the Browns and Mike Glennon of the Bucs are also possibilities, but the Jets would have to trade for either of them. Here is a complete list of Fitzpatrick fallback options.

Fitzpatrick reportedly wants to be paid on the order of what other NFL starting quarterbacks got this offseason. The Jets are offering far less, no doubt because they realize they're bidding against themselves because Fitzpatrick has no other suitors.How much longer can the Fitzpatrick wait continue? The Jets' offseason program entails just strength and conditioning work these next two weeks. The draft is 10 days away, and the first permissible on-field workouts will be soon after that.

>    http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/04/ryan_fitzpatrick_jets_not_expected_to_reach_terms.html#incart_river_index

8 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

Fitz has 3 options:

C. Retire

....up to him but the choice seems pretty obvious to me. If you want to play football this year, you take what Mac is offering you. It's way more than you will get anyplace else.

At this point If we draft a quarterback in the first two rounds we should decrease our offer to fitz to no more than 7/8. Reports states that MAC offered more than that and since no one else wants him, he can follow your list of options which are spot on. He waited too long. 

Last year, quarterback Brian Hoyer chose the Texans over the Jets. This year, the Jets are still looking to sign a quarterback. And that quarterback could be Hoyer.With the Texans not getting any trade offersand likewise unwilling to risk owing Hoyer $4 million if he drops a dumbbell on his foot on the first day of offseason workouts, the veteran isonce again a free agent, able to sign with any team.

The Jets, who currently are at impasse with 2015 starter Ryan Fitzpatrick, could make a quick move to get Hoyer. Or, alternatively, the availability of Hoyer could get Fitzpatrick and the Jets to find a way to make the two circles of their Venn diagram smooch.The Broncos also could make a play for Hoyer, who was the starter in Cleveland before winning the starting job last year in Houston.

>      http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/04/17/fitzpatrick-jets-talks-could-quickly-get-interesting/

45 minutes ago, kelly said:

As the Jets begin their offseason program on Monday, the contract limbo they're in with quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick is expected to continue.

That's according to Ian Rapoport of NFL Media :

Barring a significant breakthrough, #Jets & Ryan Fitzpatrick are not expected to have a deal before the draft. Adds intrigue to their draft

I'm not so sure this news affects the Jets' draft strategy all that much, though. Part of the reason the Jets have drawn a line in the sand with Fitzpatrick is because they don't view him as their long-term answer. General manager Mike Maccagnan believes in developing young quarterbacks. Whatever the Jets plan to do to get a quarterback in this year's draft, then, ought not to be affected by whether Fitzpatrick is back in the building.The real intrigue lies in whether the Jets bring in a veteran. The Texans on Sunday released quarterback Brian Hoyer, and Hoyer had been on the Jets' radar last year, before they swung a deal to trade for Fitzpatrick. Josh McCown of the Browns and Mike Glennon of the Bucs are also possibilities, but the Jets would have to trade for either of them. Here is a complete list of Fitzpatrick fallback options.

Fitzpatrick reportedly wants to be paid on the order of what other NFL starting quarterbacks got this offseason. The Jets are offering far less, no doubt because they realize they're bidding against themselves because Fitzpatrick has no other suitors.How much longer can the Fitzpatrick wait continue? The Jets' offseason program entails just strength and conditioning work these next two weeks. The draft is 10 days away, and the first permissible on-field workouts will be soon after that.

>    http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/04/ryan_fitzpatrick_jets_not_expected_to_reach_terms.html#incart_river_index

Its obvious Fitz is NOT the long term answer but he is the short term answer and the philosophy goes along with the fact they are signing a bunch of 30 year old players to try and win this year. If we draft a QB like Lynch that's great but we still have to win this year and I think with a good draft and young fast players that can contribute this team can be pretty damn good. It really is about time this team had a good draft with some young players that can step in just like San Fran Did

Amazing that a thread about Fitzpatrick is over 140 pages!!!  How is that even possible???
With the off-season program starting today, every day Fitzpatrick isn't in Florham Park he
opens up an opportunity for someone else to take his job

1 hour ago, BigRy56 said:

Fitz has 3 options:

C. Retire

Or D - he waits for desperation to set in when we don't draft anyone decent and he gets a two year deal on better money that's currently being offered.

If our GM really thought we had a legitimate shot to make a run this year then I think Fitz would be worth more to this team and maybe a deal would already be done.  I would love to think that we could improve on the 10 wins we got last year but with our schedule I just do not see that happening.

16 minutes ago, EM31 said:

If our GM really thought we had a legitimate shot to make a run this year then I think Fitz would be worth more to this team and maybe a deal would already be done.  I would love to think that we could improve on the 10 wins we got last year but with our schedule I just do not see that happening.

I don't think that has anything to do with it.  if he thought we could make a run w/ Fitz then he'd be signed.  There is not any evidence to suggest any team could make a run w/ Fitz.

30 minutes ago, EM31 said:

I understand what you're saying but it does sound a bit crazy.

You're saying that if Macc thought the Jets could make the playoffs, the best option would be to pay big money to a QB who's 33 and has NEVER made the playoffs. ...  We need to let that sink in.

Instead I hope Macc n Bowles see that last season was the best possible opportunity for Fitz and he still couldn't get it done.  The stars aligned for him yet he failed.  End of story.  Hopefully they realize this season will be tougher and to have a fighting chance the Jets have to choose a QB who is more of a threat.

Typical logic seems to be that the Jets should choose Fitz if the goal is to win this season.  To me that's just nuts.

Other than being a way to play it safe for Macc n Bowles, there is no upside at all to re-signing Fitz for more than 5mil with the intention of being a quality backup.

Should Ryan Fitzpatrick be worried  ?

Brian Hoyer is on the verge of being released by the Houston Texans, according to multiple reports. It means the New York Jets have a fallback option and/or negotiating pawn in play as they attempt to resolve the contract stalemate with Fitzpatrick.

Anyone who says the Jets already have expressed interest in Hoyer is wrong.

He won't be on the waiver wire until 4 p.m. Monday. Once he's officially a free agent, it wouldn't be a shock if the Jets reach out to him. A year ago, the Jets and Texans were the two teams bidding for his services as a free agent. The Texans got him with a two-year, $10.5 million contract, prompting the Jets to trade for Fitzpatrick.Now the situation is reversed. Fitzpatrick is the Jets' No. 1 priority, but his asking price is a lot more than what the Jets are offering. The Jets could make an immediate move to sign Hoyer or they could use him as leverage against Fitzpatrick.

Hoyer, 30, went 5-4 as a starter last season, finishing with 19 touchdowns and seven interceptions. He didn't play poorly -- until the playoffs, when he played worse in the wild-card game than Fitzpatrick did in the season finale, four interceptions to three.

>      http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/59790/qb-brian-hoyer-released-by-texans-could-be-option-for-jets

1 hour ago, EM31 said:

The Jets will want to be as competitive as they can be even if an SB is not likely.  Imo if they did not feel they will be competitive they would not even be trying to bring Fitz back.  He's their best short term answer for most competitive option at Qb.

3 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

The Jets will want to be as competitive as they can be even if an SB is not likely.  Imo if they did not feel they will be competitive they would not even be trying to bring Fitz back.  He's their best short term answer for most competitive option at Qb.

giphy.gif

20 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet  12h12 hours ago
Barring a significant breakthrough, #Jets & Ryan Fitzpatrick are not expected to have a deal before the draft. Adds intrigue to their draft

Yes it does it could be QB or bust for Macc!!!!

Locked in a two-month contract stalemate with Ryan Fitzpatrick, the New York Jets are investigating other quarterback options, and one of those options is coming to town later Tuesday to meet with the team.Former Houston Texans starter Brian Hoyer is scheduled to visit One Jets Drive, a league source said Tuesday morning.

This makes the Fitzpatrick drama a bit more interesting.

Hoyer, officially released Monday by the Texans, has always been a name to watch because the Jets made a play for him last offseason. He opted to sign with the Texans (two years, $10.5 million) and the Jets quickly traded for Fitzpatrick.As soon as Hoyer was released, the Jets pounced. A leverage play against Fitzpatrick? That certainly could be part of the Jets' motivation, but Hoyer's presence in the building shouldn't be underestimated. Six weeks have passed since Robert Griffin III's visit, which was leverage-driven, and now the offseason program is underway. The Jets still want Fitzpatrick, but they'd also like to resolve the matter.

Hoyer was the Texans' opening-day starter, but was the victim of a quick hook. He eventually got back into the lineup and won five of his nine starts. He had 19 touchdown passes and only seven interceptions, but he imploded in the playoffs, a four-interception disaster against the Kansas City Chiefs. He became expendable when the Texans signed Brock Osweiler and re-signed Brandon Weeden.

>     http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/59826/source-former-texans-qb-brian-hoyer-will-make-visit-to-jets

Lost in the kerfuffle of the Denver Broncos' quarterback mess is that we've gotten to tax day and the New York Jets still don't have a quarterback either.Perhaps it's that we all think that eventually Ryan Fitzpatrick and the Jets will find some kind of middle ground and come to a deal, but there hasn't been a Broncos level of public worry about who will start for the Jets.

Fitzpatrick is unsigned, the very little information that has leaked out has indicated the sides aren't close, and NFL Network's Ian Rapoport said Monday there's no deal expected by the draft. That seems clear, given how little movement there has seemingly been, but it is putting the Jets in a rough spot.The only quarterbacks the Jets have on the roster are Geno Smith and Bryce Petty. How does that make you feel? The Jets need to figure out if they need to draft a quarterback, or even whether to sign one of the few competent free agents on the market, like Brian Hoyer, who was released by the Houston Texans on Sunday.

It's rare for a team to get this deep into the offseason without any idea who its quarterback will be, but here the Jets are.

On one hand it seems like the Fitzpatrick-Jets reunion is inevitable. There aren't many other places for Fitzpatrick to go, and certainly not for the money he's rumored to be asking for. But the Jets don't seem to be offering a ton. Rich Cimini of ESPN said it's more than $7 million to $8 million that has been reported in some places, but that still might mean a low offer (relatively speaking) for a quarterback who threw for 3,905 yards and 31 touchdowns last season and had the Jets on the verge of the playoffs. Then again, Fitzpatrick has been mostly a journeyman in his career, will turn 34 this season, and probably isn't worth close to the $18 million per year handed out to Sam Bradford and Brock Osweiler this offseason.

If Fitzpatrick refuses to play for millions less than he thinks he's worth, or unless the Jets panic and pay him a ton, it's possible the stalemate could continue for a while.Either way, we've made it to April 18 and the Jets have no quarterback, unless you're ready to jump on the Geno train for another season. It certainly adds some intrigue to the Jets' draft plans, if Fitzpatrick remains unsigned for another week-and-a-half.

>     https://www.yahoo.com/sports/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/oh-right--the-new-york-jets-still-don-t-have-a-quarterback-150507746.html

13 minutes ago, kelly said:

Lost in the kerfuffle of the Denver Broncos' quarterback mess is that we've gotten to tax day and the New York Jets still don't have a quarterback either.Perhaps it's that we all think that eventually Ryan Fitzpatrick and the Jets will find some kind of middle ground and come to a deal, but there hasn't been a Broncos level of public worry about who will start for the Jets.

Fitzpatrick is unsigned, the very little information that has leaked out has indicated the sides aren't close, and NFL Network's Ian Rapoport said Monday there's no deal expected by the draft. That seems clear, given how little movement there has seemingly been, but it is putting the Jets in a rough spot.The only quarterbacks the Jets have on the roster are Geno Smith and Bryce Petty. How does that make you feel? The Jets need to figure out if they need to draft a quarterback, or even whether to sign one of the few competent free agents on the market, like Brian Hoyer, who was released by the Houston Texans on Sunday.

It's rare for a team to get this deep into the offseason without any idea who its quarterback will be, but here the Jets are.

On one hand it seems like the Fitzpatrick-Jets reunion is inevitable. There aren't many other places for Fitzpatrick to go, and certainly not for the money he's rumored to be asking for. But the Jets don't seem to be offering a ton. Rich Cimini of ESPN said it's more than $7 million to $8 million that has been reported in some places, but that still might mean a low offer (relatively speaking) for a quarterback who threw for 3,905 yards and 31 touchdowns last season and had the Jets on the verge of the playoffs. Then again, Fitzpatrick has been mostly a journeyman in his career, will turn 34 this season, and probably isn't worth close to the $18 million per year handed out to Sam Bradford and Brock Osweiler this offseason.

If Fitzpatrick refuses to play for millions less than he thinks he's worth, or unless the Jets panic and pay him a ton, it's possible the stalemate could continue for a while.Either way, we've made it to April 18 and the Jets have no quarterback, unless you're ready to jump on the Geno train for another season. It certainly adds some intrigue to the Jets' draft plans, if Fitzpatrick remains unsigned for another week-and-a-half.

>     https://www.yahoo.com/sports/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/oh-right--the-new-york-jets-still-don-t-have-a-quarterback-150507746.html

Denver doesn't have a QB mess, they won a SB w/ the worst QB play possibly ever(for a SB champ) and have upgraded w/ the possibility of selecting a young guy to develop or making a deal down the road.  I envy Den's QB situation.  

25 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Denver doesn't have a QB mess, they won a SB w/ the worst QB play possibly ever(for a SB champ) and have upgraded w/ the possibility of selecting a young guy to develop or making a deal down the road.  I envy Den's QB situation.  

NotSureIfSerious.jpg

With free-agent quarterback Brian Hoyer visiting the Jets, free-agent quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick’s dilemma could soon be fully crystallized. Does he take what the Jets are offering, or does he let them sign Hoyer  ?

Hoyer was due to make only $4 million in 2016, but the Texans were unable to find a trade partner for him. Which suggests that the market for Hoyer is less than $4 million.Let’s assume Hoyer would take $3 million for 2016. Let’s assume Fitzpatrick wants $15 million. Would a team rather have Hoyer for 20 percent of what it would cost to get Fitzpatrick? The Jets may soon be answering that question.

For Fitzpatrick, the real question is how little he is willing to play for? With the Jets believed to be somewhere in the range of $8 million and no one else putting the kind of offer on the table to prompt Fitzpatrick to make that team his fifth in five years, Fitzpatrick can wait for things to change, or he can take the best deal he can get andcontinue with his career.

That’s not criticism. It’s reality. We’re all worth whatever someone will pay us. Despite the absence of sufficiently good quarterbacks in the NFL and notwithstanding Fitzpatrick’s career-high numbers in 2015 (3,905 yards passing, 31 touchdowns), the demand isn’t there, at least not at the level Fitzpatrick apparently is targeting.

So he either cuts his best deal or he keeps waiting. If he waits too long, the seat that makes the most sense for him could end up getting filled.

>      http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/04/19/fitzpatrick-has-a-pretty-simple-decision-to-make/

I agree they would be slam dunk #1 all time but as it is they are still in the discussion.

I don't see how you can say that when they've lost SBs to less-than-great teams. That takes them right out ofbthe argument as opposes to the others. With the others, you knew they were going to win the SB, and when they didn't they lost to another great team and/or dynasty (Cowboys, Steelers, 49ers, etc) not a team that limped into the playoffs and took advantage of a weak conference to get to the SB. When the AFC was weak, those Cowboys/Redskins/Niners teams wiped the floors with them (Bills, Broncos, Bengals etc)

Just now, isired said:

I don't see how you can say that when they've lost SBs to less-than-great teams. That takes them right out ofbthe argument as opposes to the others. With the others, you knew they were going to win the SB, and when they didn't they lost to another great team and/or dynasty (Cowboys, Steelers, 49ers, etc) not a team that limped into the playoffs and took advantage of a weak conference to get to the SB. When the AFC was weak, those Cowboys/Redskins/Niners teams wiped the floors with them (Bills, Broncos, Bengals etc)

how could those great teams have lost SBs when the faced such inferior competition in SBs?  

we have to remember this is the parity era, designed to end dynasties and allow everyone to compete and in that span they have won 4 SBs, reached 6 and won how many div titles and been to how many conf title games?  to win at that level for that amount of time is astounding.  Do I think they are/were better than those other teams? No but as a pure dynasty they very well may be the best of all time.

Archived