Francessa: Jets called Bucs about Glennon: MERGED

AFJF

11 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Quite simple.

His team replaced him and not one of the other 31 teams have valued him highly enough to trade for him.

If he was truly considered a franchise QB in waiting I'm pretty sure they'd be spoiled for trade offers. No NFL team seems to value him as highly as you do.

Not saying they're definitely right or you're definitely wrong and I haven't seen enough of him at NFL level to claim to know anything you don't - But it see his valuation around here as pretty mythical based on anything the guy has actually done. 

Yes, but it was new HC, new staff who wanted to go with their guy over Shianos guy.  

Once again, the why haven't others traded for him or kept him as number 1 is great only if you think L. Smith and whoever else in charge is smarter than Macc & Bowles.  That you want to point to two groups of fired FO personnel and what they think is important.  

When the Steelers, perennial losers at the time cut Johnny Unitas, you would have stayed away because Pitt didn't like him and no other team tried to trade for him?  

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

The reason why people take a negative position with Glennon only comes down to the asking price. If the asking price was a 7th rounder, based on the opportunity to keep Geno off the field (Jets fans) most here would be jumping at the opportunity

I'd agree, thats accurate.  Although "jumping" is a bit strong.  Supportive of the trade is more apt a way to say it.  Low risk, low potential for reward.

"If Mike Glennon is traded for a 2nd rounder and he fails then we just threw away a 2nd round pick"? Are you seriously going to say that yet not say "If we trade for Glennon and we hit then that was the best 2nd round pick we've had in almost 20 years". Is it really hard to say that part? Also, are you saying that without also mentioning the fact that the rookies that we've taken with the 2nd round pick the overwhelming majority of the time has been a waste of the pick? Why not mention this? This is called pessimism. 

Past picks in past drafts by past administrations are 100% irrelevant to today's picks by today's staff and front office.  Because we made a bad 2nd round pick in 1974 doesn;t mean we will in 2016.  I mean really.

If we "hit" with Glennon, and he became an All-Pro QB, sure, it would be a solid use of a 2nd round pick.  No problem agreeing to that.

I simply do not buy your excuse-making for him and your projectionism that he is a sure-thing.  Till otherwise shown, he is what he is, a failure and a benched #2 QB.

People want to keep the topic negative because that's what Jet fans (generally speaking) are good at. Glennon can only be a risk and a failure, he could never be a risk but a successful risk. Chan Gailey can get the best out of every QB...unless that QB's name is Geno Smith. Same negative position because Jet fans are just a negative fanbase, that dont want to risk anything or spend any money.

I hope we spend every penny of our cap space every year.  It's not my money.

I just want it spent wisely crafting a contender.  Not tossed about on backup QB's other teams think so little of they bench him at every chance they're given.

And Geno Smith IS unsalvageable.  Not because i am a pessimist, but because Geno Smith is a sh*tty stupid dispassionate QB.

If its not "a 2nd is risky" then its "if he has a great year then we have to pay him all this money". Some of the stuff I see just makes me shake my head.

Heaven forbit we consider fully what a QB with only one year left on his deal might htink is best for him.

You've yet to really explain to my satisfaction why a QB as amazing as Glennon would take less money now in a trade & sign, rather than wait a year or play out his year, then get  "one of the biggest contract in NFL history".

I dont mind the negative, but you can tell its purposeful when the positive is left out of a possible equation every single time. 

Odds my friend.  They don;t favor your rosy green glasses outlook on this player, I'm sorry.  In a bad bad weak QB market, he's in the middle of the pack of a bad bunch of journeymen, backups and failures.

I'll put it another way, if Glennon was as potentially great as YOU think......why has John Elway not traded for him yet?  I trust Elway's judgement over yours or mine and Denver desperately needs a #1 QB.  Elway has a very strong team that could afford to risk it's #2 pick.  Doesn;t it thus speak volumes Denver is not even looking at Glennon at all.

38 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I'd agree, thats accurate.  Although "jumping" is a bit strong.  Supportive of the trade is more apt a way to say it.  Low risk, low potential for reward.

Past picks in past drafts by past administrations are 100% irrelevant to today's picks by today's staff and front office.  Because we made a bad 2nd round pick in 1974 doesn;t mean we will in 2016.  I mean really.

If we "hit" with Glennon, and he became an All-Pro QB, sure, it would be a solid use of a 2nd round pick.  No problem agreeing to that.

I simply do not buy your excuse-making for him and your projectionism that he is a sure-thing.  Till otherwise shown, he is what he is, a failure and a benched #2 QB.

I hope we spend every penny of our cap space every year.  It's not my money.

I just want it spent wisely crafting a contender.  Not tossed about on backup QB's other teams think so little of they bench him at every chance they're given.

And Geno Smith IS unsalvageable.  Not because i am a pessimist, but because Geno Smith is a sh*tty stupid dispassionate QB.

Heaven forbit we consider fully what a QB with only one year left on his deal might htink is best for him.

You've yet to really explain to my satisfaction why a QB as amazing as Glennon would take less money now in a trade & sign, rather than wait a year or play out his year, then get  "one of the biggest contract in NFL history".

Odds my friend.  They don;t favor your rosy green glasses outlook on this player, I'm sorry.  In a bad bad weak QB market, he's in the middle of the pack of a bad bunch of journeymen, backups and failures.

I'll put it another way, if Glennon was as potentially great as YOU think......why has John Elway not traded for him yet?  I trust Elway's judgement over yours or mine and Denver desperately needs a #1 QB.  Elway has a very strong team that could afford to risk it's #2 pick.  Doesn;t it thus speak volumes Denver is not even looking at Glennon at all.

Going back and forth is meaningless. Eventually we'll see about this. And I never said my projectionism is a sure thing, I simply stand behind my projection and support it with facts and gameplay footage. The only projectionism thrown around here that is presented like a sure thing is yours, for example..."Geno Smith IS unslavageable, not because im a pessimist, but because Geno Smith is a sh*tty stupity dispassionate QB". The master debater at his finest right here!!! 

Thats hypocritical of you, which along with the pessimism and questions that prove nothing, makes conversing further with you meaningless. So like I said, eventually we'll see. 

6 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Going back and forth is meaningless. Eventually we'll see about this. And I never said my projectionism is a sure thing, I simply stand behind my projection and support it with facts and gameplay footage. The only projectionism thrown around here that is presented like a sure thing is yours, for example..."Geno Smith IS unslavageable, not because im a pessimist, but because Geno Smith is a sh*tty stupity dispassionate QB". 

Thats hypocritical of you, which along with the pessimism and questions that prove nothing, makes conversing further with you meaningless. So like I said, eventually we'll see. 

Geno is unsalvageable but McCown who has been bad to horrible for 10+ years is the hidden treasure 

5 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

You know it. 

Either start Geno or trade for Glennon I'm so tired of these moronic GM's hijacking the market every 2 days with insane contracts for mediocre qb's.

RG3 barely deserves to even be a backup in the NFL 

20 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Going back and forth is meaningless. Eventually we'll see about this. And I never said my projectionism is a sure thing, I simply stand behind my projection and support it with facts and gameplay footage. The only projectionism thrown around here that is presented like a sure thing is yours, for example..."Geno Smith IS unslavageable, not because im a pessimist, but because Geno Smith is a sh*tty stupity dispassionate QB". The master debater at his finest right here!!! 

Undoubtedly I'm projecting on Geno.  A projection every fact to-date supports, a projection I am happy to stand by.

You're quite right, we'll see.

When no one trades for Glennon, you can admit his potential is viewed closer to my viewpoint than your own at current.

If Denver trades for Glennon and pays a 2nd round pick, I'll admit my analysis is inaccurate, because John Elway sure knows more about QB's than I do.

And of course if WE trade for him, we'll both get to see every second of how he does here.  I fear, of course, the same old "just needs a fair chance" excuses will fall like rain, as they did with Sanchez and as they do with Geno.  Just as we have some Jets fans who appear consitently pessimistic, we also have some who are endlessly making excuses for failures.

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

You'll be VERY hard pressed to find me saying such jibberish, mate.

I hope so.  I guess I know nothing because the Josh McCown I saw last 10 years has been trash yet people are preparing a wing for him in canton now

35 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Undoubtedly I'm projecting on Geno.  A projection every fact to-date supports, a projection I am happy to stand by.

If you can't answer, so be it.  You're quite right, we'll see.

when no one trades for Glennon, you can admit his potential is viewed closer to my viewpoint than your own.

If Denver trades for Glennon and pays a 2nd round pick, I'll admit my analysis is inaccurate, because John Elways sure knows more about QB's than I do.

Cant answer? The question was meaningless to the topic and was only used as a way to say "see, Glennon cant be good because Elway would take him". That proves nothing and therefore is meaningless in that regard, but here's my answer. 

Elway hasnt traded for him or anyone as of yet because #1. There is need to rush, and #2.Elway has a situation unlike any other team in the league, and its really a rare situation. He has to give a SB winning team to a new QB. Elway has everything to lose because he's already at the top. He can only tread water or sink. His situation isnt as easy as you'd like to put it, nor is it the same as other front offices in the league. Elway understands that its a risk, whether to trade or to pass because nothing is certain (unless its Geno Smith, then of course you cant salvage that). 

If Elway trade for Glennon the risk would be just the same as if we traded for him. Either it would be a good trade or not. The only difference is how that result impacts your franchise...and when you're at the top its not the same as when you're trying to move on from Ryan Fitzpatrick. That doesnt make your analysis inaccurate. You see, thats your problem. You look at Elway as a guy who CANT get it wrong, so if he trades for him then because you respect him you're willing to say that your own analysis was inaccurate before actually looking at the results. If thats the case then you really didnt believe in your own analysis in the first place, or atleast in the way that I believe in my own. I respect Macc, but if Macc doesnt trade for Glennon and we end up with what I believe is a lesser talent then im not going to think that my analysis was wrong, Im going to think that Macc made the wrong decision....just like I felt he did last year. 

Yet another reason why Im saying that the conversation is meaningless, not because I dont want to talk about the situation or to you generally, but I dont know how to show you that your thinking is contradictory on this topic. 

The fact that if Macc were to trade a 2nd ffor Glennon then that wouldnt impact your analysis of Glennon being a failure yet if Elway did suddenly you're wrong. To try debating against that logic would just cause a headache. 

3 hours ago, ChuckkieB said:

I think they'll pick Lynch at 20, unless they decide to package Wilkerson and picks to a team in the top 10 to grab one of the top two QB's. 

It's Possible, Who knows what's going to happen I really think it depends on how the board falls. 

NFL Trade Rumors: Mike Glennon for Muhammad Wilkerson speculation starts

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers want to trade Mike Glennon, and the New York Jets need a quarterback. The Jets also have a top-notch player on a one-year contract in Muhammad Wilkerson. Both teams and players have been mentioned in various trade scenarios, so it was only a matter of time before someone would speculate that the Bucs and Jets would swap Wilkerson and Glennon. And so Manish Mehta did, in the New York Daily News -- as speculation, mind you.

The Jets still want to retain Ryan Fitzpatrick, but they're considering alternate options if the veteran doesn't return. The team has done their due diligence on available signal callers, including the Bucs' backup. Tampa Bay head coach Dirk Koetter all but admitted that Glennon, who won't see the light of day for the Bucs unless Jameis Winston gets injured, can be had in a trade.

The feeling around the league is that the Bucs don't have to get a first-round pick in return for Glennon, who is entering the final year of his rookie contract. Would the Jets be willing to dole out a second-rounder for Glennon? A third-rounder is a no-brainer for a player, who can start right away and have a chance to be your long-term answer at quarterback.

Why this makes sense

The Buccaneers need a defensive end, the Jets need a quarterback, and both Wilkerson and Glennon have only one year left on their contracts. The Bucs have publicly acknowledged that they've been talking to teams about Glennon, and they need to find a trade partner -- or let Glennon walk away next year, with the only compensation a potential compensatory pick in 2018.

Meanwhile, the Jets don't have a starting quarterback. They need to find one. And they'd prefer not to be pigeonholed into taking one in the draft -- with the risk of missing out on a signal caller if they are. Mike Glennon is probably the best quarterback available in trade. Someone with starting experience who has the potential to turn into a reliable game manager, given the opportunity.

Why this doesn't make sense

The Jets really want Ryan Fitzpatrick back, and there's no reason for them to give up assets for Glennon when they can simply pay Fitzpatrick what he wants. For the Jets to actually pull the trigger on a Glennon trade, they'd have to give up on the prospect of re-signing Fitzpatrick. That's not going to happen -- at least not for a while yet.

In addition, Wilkerson doesn't quite fit what the Bucs need. They need an edge rusher, someone who can line up outside of an offensive tackle and beat him around the corner with consistency. Wilkerson's a very good player, but he's a 3-4 defensive end who can play defensive tackle on passing downs. That's a valuable skillset, but the Bucs just signed someone who fits that in Robert Ayers, and have William Gholston on the roster. In addition to that, they still have Akeem Spence and Clinton McDonald at defensive tackle as well.

And then there's the matter of financial compensation. The Bucs would have to pay Wilkerson close to what they're paying Gerald McCoy to get him to sign a long-term contract. That's an absurd financial commitment at defensive tackle -- and it still doesn't bring them any closer to having an explosive edge rusher in the fold.

Odds of this happening: 5%

4 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

NFL Trade Rumors: Mike Glennon for Muhammad Wilkerson speculation starts

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers want to trade Mike Glennon, and the New York Jets need a quarterback. The Jets also have a top-notch player on a one-year contract in Muhammad Wilkerson. Both teams and players have been mentioned in various trade scenarios, so it was only a matter of time before someone would speculate that the Bucs and Jets would swap Wilkerson and Glennon. And so Manish Mehta did, in the New York Daily News -- as speculation, mind you.

The Jets still want to retain Ryan Fitzpatrick, but they're considering alternate options if the veteran doesn't return. The team has done their due diligence on available signal callers, including the Bucs' backup. Tampa Bay head coach Dirk Koetter all but admitted that Glennon, who won't see the light of day for the Bucs unless Jameis Winston gets injured, can be had in a trade.

The feeling around the league is that the Bucs don't have to get a first-round pick in return for Glennon, who is entering the final year of his rookie contract. Would the Jets be willing to dole out a second-rounder for Glennon? A third-rounder is a no-brainer for a player, who can start right away and have a chance to be your long-term answer at quarterback.

Why this makes sense

The Buccaneers need a defensive end, the Jets need a quarterback, and both Wilkerson and Glennon have only one year left on their contracts. The Bucs have publicly acknowledged that they've been talking to teams about Glennon, and they need to find a trade partner -- or let Glennon walk away next year, with the only compensation a potential compensatory pick in 2018.

Meanwhile, the Jets don't have a starting quarterback. They need to find one. And they'd prefer not to be pigeonholed into taking one in the draft -- with the risk of missing out on a signal caller if they are. Mike Glennon is probably the best quarterback available in trade. Someone with starting experience who has the potential to turn into a reliable game manager, given the opportunity.

Why this doesn't make sense

The Jets really want Ryan Fitzpatrick back, and there's no reason for them to give up assets for Glennon when they can simply pay Fitzpatrick what he wants. For the Jets to actually pull the trigger on a Glennon trade, they'd have to give up on the prospect of re-signing Fitzpatrick. That's not going to happen -- at least not for a while yet.

In addition, Wilkerson doesn't quite fit what the Bucs need. They need an edge rusher, someone who can line up outside of an offensive tackle and beat him around the corner with consistency. Wilkerson's a very good player, but he's a 3-4 defensive end who can play defensive tackle on passing downs. That's a valuable skillset, but the Bucs just signed someone who fits that in Robert Ayers, and have William Gholston on the roster. In addition to that, they still have Akeem Spence and Clinton McDonald at defensive tackle as well.

And then there's the matter of financial compensation. The Bucs would have to pay Wilkerson close to what they're paying Gerald McCoy to get him to sign a long-term contract. That's an absurd financial commitment at defensive tackle -- and it still doesn't bring them any closer to having an explosive edge rusher in the fold.

Odds of this happening: 5%

TB is a 4-3 scheme.  Wilk doesn't fit.  At all.  So this whole article is stupid to begin with.  Leave it to Manish peckerhead.  

Plus, Wilk is a proven solid player, Glennon has proved nothing.  So if we were to do something as dumb as trade Wilk for Glennon, then I'd want a 2nd rounder back.  Frankly, I still wouldn't do this.  Don't want to give up Wilk for a one year loner of Glennon. 

4 minutes ago, Dcat said:

TB is a 4-3 scheme.  Wilk doesn't fit.  At all.  So this whole article is stupid to begin with.  Leave it to Manish peckerhead.  

Plus, Wilk is a proven solid player, Glennon has proved nothing.  So if we were to do something as dumb as trade Wilk for Glennon, then I'd want a 2nd rounder back.  Frankly, I still wouldn't do this.  Don't want to give up Wilk for a one year loner of Glennon. 

i didnt write the article I just posted it,if you see at the very bottom it says  Odds of this happening: 5%

6 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

i didnt write the article I just posted it,if you see at the very bottom it says  Odds of this happening: 5%

maybe 0.01% And I didn't call you a peckerhead, I called Manish Mehta a peckerhead.  I guess you are so used to ridicule that you didn't even notice.  It's ok.  You can be your very own peckerhead right next to Manish if you want.

55 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Cant answer? The question was meaningless to the topic and was only used as a way to say "see, Glennon cant be good because Elway would take him". That proves nothing and therefore is meaningless in that regard, but here's my answer. 

I removed the "can't answer" portion prior to your reply.

But the question is spot on, despite any discomfort with it.

If Glennon is what you claim, why would the Super Bowl champs, now without a QB, not be willing (nay, hungry!) to trade their 2nd for Glennon, when the cost to them (a VERY strong team) is less than the cost to most teams?

Elway hasnt traded for him or anyone as of yet because #1. There is need to rush

How so?  If Glennon is the best candidate, of course there is a rush, a rush to acquire him before other teams (like say, the Jets) can do so.  This claim is illogical.

and #2.Elway has a situation unlike any other team in the league, and its really a rare situation. He has to give a SB winning team to a new QB. Elway has everything to lose because he's already at the top. He can only tread water or sink. His situation isnt as easy as you'd like to put it, nor is it the same as other front offices in the league. Elway understands that its a risk, whether to trade or to pass because nothing is certain (unless its Geno Smith, then of course you cant salvage that).

So with more than anyone on the line, Elway still seems to have no interest in your man Glennon.  He appears thus far to be unwilling to agree with you that he (Glennon) is the clear cut best available option.  Despite the cost meaning the least to him (since his team is already very strong and his job not under any pressure and with a roster that can better afford the risk) and despite having a very talented roster, elways appears to not want Glennon.

People can make all the excuses they like, but that says something.  Same way is says something that Elway doesn't seem to want Fitz either.

If Elway trade for Glennon the risk would be just the same as if we traded for him. Either it would be a good trade or not.

Does something this grossly obvious really need stated?  This is true for all teams and all trades/aquisitions universally.

You see, thats your problem. You look at Elway as a guy who CANT get it wrong, so if he trades for him then because you respect him you're willing to say that your own analysis was inaccurate before actually looking at the results.

Yes, I look at Elways as what he is.  A man who played QB at an elite level beyond 99% of other QB's in history, and a GM who has built multiple Super Bowl teams as a GM.  I am happy to admit if he thinks I am wrong, I could very easily be wrong.  Hardly a crime, that.  I defer to HIS superior knowlegde of the game till the facts (how the player plays) proves him or my initial analysis accurate..

If thats the case then you really didnt believe in your own analysis in the first place, or atleast in the way that I believe in my own.

I absolutely believe my analysis.  But I am also humble enough to know John Elway knows better than I.

You appear to feel differently, that if Elway does not persue Glennon, Elway (not you) has made the error in analysis and judgement.

The fact that if Macc were to trade a 2nd ffor Glennon then that wouldnt impact your analysis of Glennon being a failure yet if Elway did suddenly you're wrong. To try debating against that logic would just cause a headache. 

Elways has how many rings?  How many does Macc have?  Thats why I hold the two in different regard as to their judgement.  One is a multiple-Super Bowl winning QB, multiple Super Bowl GM.  One is Macc (whom I like just fine, but he's no Elway).

It's deflective foolishness like this I find so dumb.  Rather than face criticism for Glennon, you have to deflect defelct deflect and dismiss rather straitforward and logical points like well, why hasn't Elway gone for this great QB if it's as OBVIOUS as you consistently claim it is? 

Sorry about your headache, perhaps you're taking all this FAR too seriously in forum chat causes you pain.  I can do this all day, on a thousand topics, and never break a sweat nor feel the remotest hint of pain over it.  It's just opinions my friend, the fun is in the debating of them.

Report: Jets souring on Fitz, could pursue Bucs QB 

The New York Jets are no longer “urgently” pursuing a new contract with quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick and could be interested in acquiring Mike Glennon to replace him, according to a report by Bleacher Report on Friday.

The club is offering the veteran around $7 million annually, a number that could increase to near $9 million with incentives for playing time and statistical success, according to a source near the team, but Fitzpatrick is angling for almost twice that much.

He broke the Jets’ former franchise record in completing 31 passing touchdowns last season.

Glennon, 25, is in the final year of his original four-year rookie deal worth $3.104 million, an arrangement that will pay him $675,000 in base salary for the 2016 season. He appeared in six contests for the Buccaneers, completing 57.6 percent of his pass attempts for 10 touchdowns against six interceptions.

Tampa Bay, who are fully behind Jameis Winston as their franchise starter, has not been shy about confirming their desire to do a deal for Glennon should any interest arise.

Notably, according to Bleacher Report, the Jets have “little or no faith” in Geno Smith to succeed Fitzpatrick to the position, despite a number of public endorsements of and expressions of confidence in their former starter.

http://nyj.247sports.com/Bolt/Report-Jets-souring-on-Fitz-could-pursue-Bucs-QB-44474468

34 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I removed the "can't answer" portion prior to your reply.

But the question is spot on, despite any discomfort with it.

If Glennon is what you claim, why would the Super Bowl champs, now without a QB, not be willing (nay, hungry!) to trade their 2nd for Glennon, when the cost to them (a VERY strong team) is less than the cost to most teams?

How so?  If Glennon is the best candidate, of course there is a rush, a rush to acquire him before other teams (like say, the Jets) can do so.  This claim is illogical.

So with more than anyone on the line, Elway still seems to have no interest in your man Glennon.  He appears thus far to be unwilling to agree with you that he (Glennon) is the clear cut best available option.  Despite the cost meaning the least to him (since his team is already very strong and his job not under any pressure and with a roster that can better afford the risk) and despite having a very talented roster, elways appears to not want Glennon.

People can make all the excuses they like, but that says something.  Same way is says something that Elway doesn't seem to want Fitz either.

Does something this grossly obvious really need stated?  This is true for all teams and all trades/aquisitions universally.

Yes, I look at Elways as what he is.  A man who played QB at an elite level beyond 99% of other QB's in history, and a GM who has built multiple Super Bowl teams as a GM.  I am happy to admit if he thinks I am wrong, I could very easily be wrong.  Hardly a crime, that.  I defer to HIS superior knowlegde of the game till the facts (how the player plays) proves him or my initial analysis accurate..

I absolutely believe my analysis.  But I am also humble enough to know John Elway knows better than I.

You appear to feel differently, that if Elway does not persue Glennon, Elway (not you) has made the error in analysis and judgement.

Elways has how many rings?  How many does Macc have?  Thats why I hold the two in different regard as to their judgement.  One is a multiple-Super Bowl winning QB, multiple Super Bowl GM.  One is Macc (whom I like just fine, but he's no Elway).

It's deflective foolishness like this I find so dumb.  Rather than face criticism for Glennon, you have to deflect defelct deflect and dismiss rather straitforward and logical points like well, why hasn't Elway gone for this great QB if it's as OBVIOUS as you consistently claim it is? 

Sorry about your headache, perhaps you're taking all this FAR too seriously in forum chat causes you pain.  I can do this all day, on a thousand topics, and never break a sweat nor feel the remotest hint of pain over it.  It's just opinions my friend, the fun is in the debating of them.

ok.

39 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

The New York Jets are no longer “urgently” pursuing a new contract with quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick and could be interested in acquiring Mike Glennon to replace him, according to a report by Bleacher Report on Friday.

The club is offering the veteran around $7 million annually, a number that could increase to near $9 million with incentives for playing time and statistical success, according to a source near the team, but Fitzpatrick is angling for almost twice that much.

He broke the Jets’ former franchise record in completing 31 passing touchdowns last season.

Glennon, 25, is in the final year of his original four-year rookie deal worth $3.104 million, an arrangement that will pay him $675,000 in base salary for the 2016 season. He appeared in six contests for the Buccaneers, completing 57.6 percent of his pass attempts for 10 touchdowns against six interceptions.

Tampa Bay, who are fully behind Jameis Winston as their franchise starter, has not been shy about confirming their desire to do a deal for Glennon should any interest arise.

Notably, according to Bleacher Report, the Jets have “little or no faith” in Geno Smith to succeed Fitzpatrick to the position, despite a number of public endorsements of and expressions of confidence in their former starter.

http://nyj.247sports.com/Bolt/Report-Jets-souring-on-Fitz-could-pursue-Bucs-QB-44474468

This is great news. The best thing Fitz may have done. 

58 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

there is no credible source here.  the link just brings you somewhere that refers you to bleacher report, without any link no less. Bleacher report is not much more than articles quoting other news sources or silly unsubstantiated opinions of BR's staff.  

20 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

yeah, because thats what 31 other teams did with Drew Brees right? Or was that just "different"??? Just another play on words my friend. 

lol. 

He was offered a 5 year, $50m contract from the Chargers despite the fact they had a franchise QB in waiting, he was not ignored - He was actually signed pretty much right away - Only Miami passed him up. Nice job ignoring the potentially career threatening injury Brees had to his throwing shoulder too - Wouldn't suit the narrative at all.

He'd also had at least one spectacular season and was a pro-bowler who had previously led his team to the playoffs. Very comparable to Mike Glennon indeed.

What am I missing here? Where is this pro-Glennon propaganda coming from?

1 hour ago, JetsFanatic said:

I hate Jason Cole and everything he stands for, but if it IS true that Fitz wants $$$ in the 14-18 million range, then he can go f*ck himself with a steak knife.

Bleacher Report's Jason Cole reports the Jets have offered free agent Ryan Fitzpatrick a $7 annual salary but are willing to go up to $9 million a year.

Fitzpatrick is asking for $16 million a year. The two sides are miles apart and both seem willing to wait it out. Cole reports there is "little or no faith within the organization" that Geno Smith is capable of taking over the starting job, which means the Jets will have to look elsewhere if Fitzpatrick doesn't agree to their terms. One replacement option Cole mentioned was Mike Glennon, who is entering the last year of his deal with Tampa Bay.

Mar 25 - 6:24 PM

1 hour ago, Irish Jet said:

He was offered a 5 year, $50m contract from the Chargers despite the fact they had a franchise QB in waiting, he was not ignored - He was actually signed pretty much right away - Only Miami passed him up. Nice job ignoring the potentially career threatening injury Brees had to his throwing shoulder too - Wouldn't suit the narrative at all.

He'd also had at least one spectacular season and was a pro-bowler who had previously led his team to the playoffs. Very comparable to Mike Glennon indeed.

What am I missing here? Where is this pro-Glennon propaganda coming from?

You said  "Franchise QB in waiting". The fact is teams dont let go of franchise QB's dead in their prime right? Teams dont trade for other "potential franchise QB's" while currently having one on their roster, which is exactly what San Diego did for Rivers right? 

Actually, Brees wasnt comparable to Glennon. Brees went to the probowl in his 4th season, Glennon is currently in his 4th season. Brees first 2 seasons (17 games total) looked pedestrian in comparison to Glennon's first 2 years. and he had guys like Tomlinson, Seau and Edwards on those Charger squads.  And though Glennon didnt play in his 3rd seasons, the funny thing is...Brees 3rd year was his worst year of his career. So what's your point? 

Furthermore, since you talk about probowls....After the Chargers found a way NOT to give Brees that 50 Millions (Rivers), Brees ended up hitting the market and do you know how many teams in 2005 needed a franchise QB YET didnt even contact Brees? Matter of fact, a team contact hiim and still passed on him. Who passes on Franchise QB's Irish? You tell me bro. More than half the league needed a franchise QB fin 2005....MORE THAN HALF.....where were the 16+ other offers looking to sign this "Franchise QB in waiting" as you like to put it? Let me break it to you....Drew Brees wasnt looked at like a "Franchise QB in waiting" my friend. I know its hard to believe, but its true. 

Of all teams, a lowly Saints franchise with nothing to lose took a risk on a guy that they had a hunch on and it worked. The league didnt believe that Brees was a franchise QB because if they did then Miami wouldnt have passed on him, he would have received calls from every team looking for a franchise QB/"Probowler (lol) and he surely wouldnt have ended up in a place like New Orleans...a team that at that time was about nothing. They took a chance and it changed that entire franchise. They seen something and ran with it while 31 other teams found excuses on why this dude is a failure. Probably saying the usual that we hear today "He only won because of Tomilinson, or look at his first 3 seasons"...etc., etc. 

Mike Glennon will most likely be traded, mostly because it would be stupid of the Bucs to hold on to a guy that at max could return you a 3rd round compensatory pick when you can trade him now for a 2nd. So he most likely will be traded. We will see for sure. And as I said, if I looked at Brees first two seasons and compared it to Glennon's....Glennon won. So people can throw in hindsight with Brees career all they want, but the fact is, for Drew Brees to have those first 3 years, then basically get tossed to the side before his injury by watching his team look for what he was supposed to be for the Chargers in the draft, and then watch as the entire NFL by passes this dude....we need to stop acting as if the NFL never got it wrong before. 

Russell Wilson was over looked round after round, Brees was thrown away, The Bucs traded away Steve Young, The Falcons traded away Brett Favre, The Bucs let Doug Williams walk, the greatest QB of the modern era was a 6th round pick, The Steelers cut Johnny Unitas, one of the best quarterbacks EVER, Kurt Warner was undrafted. Aaron Rodgers was almost a 2nd round pick. 

It happens. Im not saying concretely that this is the scenario with Glennon, what im saying is that just because people arent knocking down the Bucs door looking give up anything in a trade isnt an indictment. It just means that they dont see it yet. And like in life, most dont see it until afterward. 

11 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

Bleacher Report's Jason Cole reports the Jets have offered free agent Ryan Fitzpatrick a $7 annual salary but are willing to go up to $9 million a year.

Fitzpatrick is asking for $16 million a year. The two sides are miles apart and both seem willing to wait it out. Cole reports there is "little or no faith within the organization" that Geno Smith is capable of taking over the starting job, which means the Jets will have to look elsewhere if Fitzpatrick doesn't agree to their terms. One replacement option Cole mentioned was Mike Glennon, who is entering the last year of his deal with Tampa Bay.

Mar 25 - 6:24 PM

Fitz is not worth 16 million IMO.  Period. 

2 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Fitz is not worth 16 million IMO.  Period. 

Agreed....I like the guy, but if he's thinking he's getting $16 mil...move on and trade for Glennon.

Archived