Francessa: Jets called Bucs about Glennon: MERGED

AFJF

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

True except for Manning,Bree's,Brad Johnson,Farve,Jim Plunket etc Just kidding Fish I agree keep the 2nd one of these years we may get a 2nd rd pick right..;)

Manning was a detriment to Denver, he most certainly didn't factor as to why they made it or why they won it.  also, he was the greatest QB (or close to it) of all time.  Is Glennon a proven first ballot HOF'er?  No, he's a failed 2 year backup.

Brees wasn't a castoff, he was a playoff starter with a quality resume.

Brad Johnson?  He had a 4,000 yard 24 TD season for Washington.  He wasn't a great, but his resume was "good enough" to give a try.  He was alot like Fitz, a journeyman reuninted with a favored coach who was in the right place, right time, for a good run (his Super Bowl).

Favre?  Did he win anything of note after he left the Packers?  Also, all-time great.  is Glennon an all-time great?

Plunkett, before my time, but lets take a look......5 year starter in New England, 2 year Starter in San Fran before going to Oakland.  Another late-blooming Journeyman, but started for 7 years.  Glennon started for what, a year and bit total?

And lets be clear, these are the exceptions, not the rule.  The rule is an endless assortment of guys like Boomer Eisiason,  Neil O'Donnell, etc. etc. etc.  Both of whom, it should be pointed out, had vastly better resumes than Glennon and still failed here.   

If Macc and Bowles think Glennon is the man, fine, if they think he's worth a 2nd, fine.  All trust in them till the prove otherwise (and they havn't proven otherwise yet, I think they're doing a very good job thus far).

I just don't see it.  The guys you mention, all moderalty to amazingly successful long-time starters.  Glennon isn't, he's a failed 2 year partial starter.  He's Glenn Foley the year he lost his job in NY.

7 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

In that case the team is better off with Geno having a full camp with the number 1 team something he didn't have last year..

Geno is better than Hoyer did you see that playoff game?!?!  He could have thrown ten picks at least 5 got dropped.  And he was at home doing this.

The texans got lucky that the AFC south was a joke and backed into the playoffs.  Hoyer didn't even play in some of their games

18 minutes ago, Gangrene said:

I would risk a third on Glennon, but I prefer that we continue this staring contest with Fitzpatrick all the way to the draft... if needed.

If Fitzpatrick signs with the Broncos or the LA Rams and we can't pry Glennon for less than a 2nd round pick... I think we should draft a developmental (Paxton Lynch or Dak Prescott) have Petty and Ohno  fight it out in training camp. Signing rookies means four years with minimal salary cap implications. Signing Glennon likely comes with a price, one if I was the GM, I am only willing to take with a third round pick.

End result if we strike out with Fitzpatrick or signing Glennon... we have a training camp  fileld with daily interception reports and an ugly 2016 season in store for us ... yes, agreed. As much as people talk about the talent on the Jets roster, it is aging and it needs an injection of youth across the board.

I think Glennon is worth a look on a third round pick if Mac thinks he can get a contract signed that reflects what Glennon has done in the league rather than what he hopes Glennon will do in the league. If the contract is set by Osweiler's inflated contract then I have a hard time getting on board with anything more than a fourth. The combination of draft pick plus cap space is a lot of sacrifice for a guy who, by his prior performance, is definitely a long term question mark.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Implying one cannot be relaxed and hold the opinion I hold?  What an odd claim.

2nd round picks are important.  Geno Smith's cost is already sunk, it cannot be recovered.  If he is a poor player, the team is better off acquiring a better player to replace him, no matter what he cost us back when.  The concept of addition by subtraction is not a new one.

Yes, Fitz was a 10 year loser before he came here, and as I've said if he costs too much I'm fine with abandoning him.  I will have to live with whomever the have at QB, as all options are poor IMO, Fitz is tolerable based on last year, RGIII is a complete bust with a tiny upside based on his first year, Glennon is a bust who failed at starter, Kaep is theoreticly a Super Bowl QB, but has been badly exposed the last couple of years. And Geno is worse than all of them.

Yes, we need a QB.  No, there is no actual evidence than Glennon is worth a 2nd round pick, can or will develop into a Franchise QB or even a reliable starter QB, and very few teams are going to offer up such a high pick for a QB who failed, utterly, as a Starter and will be a free agent (i.e. cost-free) one year hence.

If we all have massive hard-ons for Glennon, wait a year and sign him next offseason for no draft pick loss, and use the 2nd this year to acquire say, a Brick replacement, or a franchise RB, or another CB, or a #3/#4 WR or a LB etc, etc, etc.

Teams don't win titles chasing other teams castoffs and demanding to pay above market value for them.

The reason to get Glennon now is to see if he's worth the big contract next year and sign him to one if he deserves it, because next year the Jets will be competing with the other QB-needy teams willing to give Glennon more than what Ostweiler got without knowing if he's any good. I also believe a 2 is too much and would sacrifice a Brick replacement as you say. I could see a 3 with a conditional pick the following year based on playing time.

I don't believe that Glennon will be going to the Pro Bowl (if it even exists)...but someone else said it well that we don't need an elite QB;  just solid QB play like we saw with Fitz last year (up to the Bills game). I believe Glennon will provide that based on what I saw of him.

15 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Manning was a detriment to Denver, he most certainly didn't factor as to why they made it or why they won it.  also, he was the greatest QB (or close to it) of all time.  Is Glennon a proven first ballot HOF'er?  No, he's a failed 2 year backup.

Brees wasn't a castoff, he was a playoff starter with a quality resume.

Brad Johnson?  He had a 4,000 yard 24 TD season for Washington.  He wasn't a great, but his resume was "good enough" to give a try.  He was alot like Fitz, a journeyman reuninted with a favored coach who was in the right place, right time, for a good run (his Super Bowl).

Favre?  Did he win anything of note after he left the Packers?  Also, all-time great.  is Glennon an all-time great?

Plunkett, before my time, but lets take a look......5 year starter in New England, 2 year Starter in San Fran before going to Oakland.  Another late-blooming Journeyman, but started for 7 years.  Glennon started for what, a year and bit total?

And lets be clear, these are the exceptions, not the rule.  The rule is an endless assortment of guys like Boomer Eisiason,  Neil O'Donnell, etc. etc. etc.  Both of whom, it should be pointed out, had vastly better resumes than Glennon and still failed here.   

If Macc and Bowles think Glennon is the man, fine, if they think he's worth a 2nd, fine.  All trust in them till the prove otherwise (and they havn't proven otherwise yet, I think they're doing a very good job thus far).

I just don't see it.  The guys you mention, all moderalty to amazingly successful long-time starters.  Glennon isn't, he's a failed 2 year partial starter.  He's Glenn Foley the year he lost his job in NY.

I said I was kidding Fish... However Jim Plunkett was a failed QB and Farve was taken from the Falcons but I agree with you so no reason to defend your position that I agree with..:)

1 minute ago, drdetroit said:

Geno is better than Hoyer did you see that playoff game?!?!  He could have thrown ten picks at least 5 got dropped.  

The he texans got lucky that the AFC south was a joke and backed into the playoffs.  Hoyer didn't even play in some of their games

Also when I looked it up a week or two ago (when he started to emerge as a backup plan to not re-signing Fitz), a good number of his TDs were garbage time or when the game was already well out of hand:

• vs Miami: Hoyer threw the first of his 3 TDs after they were already down 41-0 with the game 2/3 over. 
  • vs Atlanta: Hoyer threw the first of his 2 TD passes came with Houston down 42-0 in the 4th quarter

Remove these 100% useless TDs from these two games, and the rest of the way he put up 12 TDs and 9 INTs. Not a horror show, but doesn't have the same ring as 17:9 either. It's also not good enough to offset his injury risk (really, his injury inevitability). Even if he starts the season, no other QB in the league is as likely to force the team to already be starting the #2 QB by week 2. Best case scenario we'd have a right to expect, in using him as our stopgap over Fitz, is that the next man up takes over in early October.  

Actually that isn't a bad scenario because it gets the next guy up with plenty of games remaining, without having to throw him in there from week 1. A lot less pressure on him (and Bowles) from the rest of the team as well as the media. And from some fans; just not necessarily the fans on this site lol.

On March 22, 2016 at 10:20 AM, slats said:

What other avenues would you rather explore? 

You keep repeating this risk line. Of course there's risk. There are only a handful of legitimate franchise QBs in the league. You have to take chances to land one. Drafting one is the ideal, but that's looking pretty risky this year. Hoping Petty is the answer? Seems like there's some risk there. The time has passed, but $17-18M/year for Bradford or Osweiler seems pretty risky, too. 

Fitzpatrick is the low risk option, I guess. Kinda like its low risk to put your life savings into a savings account

It actually isn't low risk if you have your savings in USD (which will be greatly depreciated by Quantitative Easing (when the inflation finally kicks in) or if you keep your money in US banks and we have Greek style bail-ins.  

5 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

It actually isn't low risk if you have your savings in USD (which will be greatly depreciated by Quantitative Easing (when the inflation finally kicks in) or if you keep your money in US banks and we have Greek style bail-ins.  

Lol, thanks for agreeing with my point - even if you didn't know it at the time. 

1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Dude. Not here. Understand that the lack of other people commenting on things like this doesn't mean no one else knows anything and the stupid, unwashed masses need you to educate us. It just means we're showing restraint because this is a Jets/football site. 

As far as his analogy, it's a good one. Just because your $ is in a savings account doesn't mean it has to stay there forever. Inflation doesn't happen one day when you wake up like a light switch. Likewise, signing on for another year of Fitz doesn't tie us to him forever. He won't cost $18M/year, and whenever the team wants it can put him on the bench and give someone else a go at it.

30 minutes ago, jetrider said:

Why ... it's the old "if you can't afford one buy them both" trick.

tve54-19660409-133.jpg

:) 

Loved that show!!

My only concern with Fitz is lets say he goes 8-8 or even 9-7 next year do we role the dice and do this whole thing yet again?

Will the Jets be in the position of yet again having not cultivated a young QB?

The interesting subplot to this whole thing is this; if they put Fitz out there without getting another young gun next year it signals IMO that they are actually higher on Petty than they have let on.

50 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

I think Glennon is worth a look on a third round pick if Mac thinks he can get a contract signed that reflects what Glennon has done in the league rather than what he hopes Glennon will do in the league. If the contract is set by Osweiler's inflated contract then I have a hard time getting on board with anything more than a fourth. The combination of draft pick plus cap space is a lot of sacrifice for a guy who, by his prior performance, is definitely a long term question mark.

Agreed on a third for Glennon. Given the cautious nature of the Jets FO, I expect they are unlikely to give Glennon an Osweiler contract. They are more likely going to ask Glennon to prove himself for a year and pay a premium for him if it works out. I can't see Tampa Bay accepting a fourth for Glennon as they may get a third round comp pick the following year - however a pick this year rather than waiting a year... who knows?

It's  an entertaining if slightly annoying offseason for Jets fans : )

58 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Dude. Not here. Understand that the lack of other people commenting on things like this doesn't mean no one else knows anything and the stupid, unwashed masses need you to educate us. It just means we're showing restraint because this is a Jets/football site. 

As far as his analogy, it's a good one. Just because your $ is in a savings account doesn't mean it has to stay there forever. Inflation doesn't happen one day when you wake up like a light switch. Likewise, signing on for another year of Fitz doesn't tie us to him forever. He won't cost $18M/year, and whenever the team wants it can put him on the bench and give someone else a go at it.

Not criticizing anyone. Just trying to look out for my fellow JN'ers.   :)

4 hours ago, GoingToMyGraveGreen said:

The reason to get Glennon now is to see if he's worth the big contract next year and sign him to one if he deserves it, because next year the Jets will be competing with the other QB-needy teams willing to give Glennon more than what Ostweiler got without knowing if he's any good. I also believe a 2 is too much and would sacrifice a Brick replacement as you say. I could see a 3 with a conditional pick the following year based on playing time.

I don't believe that Glennon will be going to the Pro Bowl (if it even exists)...but someone else said it well that we don't need an elite QB;  just solid QB play like we saw with Fitz last year (up to the Bills game). I believe Glennon will provide that based on what I saw of him.

I keep coming back to this, there is no reason whatsoever for Glennon to sign an extension now.

If you think he's due a big payday (a la Osweiler) when he hits the FA market next year, why on earth would he sacrifice that to extend at small-dollars with us?

He wouldn't.

So we'd be spending a 2nd round pick (which should be a 5-10 year O-lIne or LB starter) for a 1-year rental at QB.

And if your answer is "well, we'll pay him a good Osweiler salary now so he'll reup!" then we're not "seeing if he deserves" anything, we're hitching our wagon to him long-term.  Not a test, a commitment.  A 2nd and a big salary for a guy who hasn't played a full season, and was so bad his team replaced him first chance they got.  The Bucs, at that.

No, pass.  Mid-rounder, a 4th, 5th or 6th, sure, ok, take a swing and a 1-year run then pay him if he earns it.  But no more.

6 hours ago, Warfish said:

I keep coming back to this, there is no reason whatsoever for Glennon to sign an extension now.

If you think he's due a big payday (a la Osweiler) when he hits the FA market next year, why on earth would he sacrifice that to extend at small-dollars with us?

He wouldn't.

So we'd be spending a 2nd round pick (which should be a 5-10 year O-lIne or LB starter) for a 1-year rental at QB.

And if your answer is "well, we'll pay him a good Osweiler salary now so he'll reup!" then we're not "seeing if he deserves" anything, we're hitching our wagon to him long-term.  Not a test, a commitment.  A 2nd and a big salary for a guy who hasn't played a full season, and was so bad his team replaced him first chance they got.  The Bucs, at that.

No, pass.  Mid-rounder, a 4th, 5th or 6th, sure, ok, take a swing and a 1-year run then pay him if he earns it.  But no more.

Why would he be a one year rental?

He plays for a season and if he does well, if he earns the job you pay him, if not you pass him along.  

Kind of like you do with every singly player under contract.  

4 hours ago, Powpow said:

he said he was playing lights out ?

Then maybe the Jets seriously feel as though moving forward with Geno is more viable than entering further negotiations with FItz outside their initial offer. If there was ever a year for Geno to convince the Jets/league this will be the year since he's entering the last year on his contract. 

Fitz may be better in the short/intermediate game than Geno, but the fact that Geno opens up the offense in terms of adding the deep game to the offensive repertoire it could open up things for Geno in the short to intermediate game as well as for Forte/Powell/Robinson in the backfield and make Devin Smith's speed an actual concern. 

Geno may not be a franchise QB, but if Chan Gailey is the guy we always love to compliment regarding his history with every QB he's been with, then I would assume that it would be beneficial to have Geno on the field because his ability opens up the offense even further. 

Unless we're saying that Chan Gailey can get the most out of every QB he's been with except for Geno because that would be impossible to do.

52 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Then maybe the Jets seriously feel as though moving forward with Geno is more viable than entering further negotiations with FItz outside their initial offer. If there was ever a year for Geno to convince the Jets/league this will be the year since he's entering the last year on his contract. 

It was a pun on words - lights out- as in knocked out. The best Geni will ever be is a back in the NFL, the Nerf Football League.

Tampa has officially came out and said Glennon is on the Block (PFT). Mac needs too seriously consider this, as much as I wanted us to take Glennon in the Draft I have to leave it up to our FO. I would no doubt be pissed if we didnt at least try to get him. I personally feel this is a no brainer for us. We all know Geno is not the answer he does not have the mental fortitude in my opinion to be a leader in the NFL. This is the one move I hope the Jets at make. Our second should get it done. Just my opinion.

41 minutes ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

Tampa has officially came out and said Glennon is on the Block (PFT). Mac needs too seriously consider this, as much as I wanted us to take Glennon in the Draft I have to leave it up to our FO. I would no doubt be pissed if we didnt at least try to get him. I personally feel this is a no brainer for us. We all know Geno is not the answer he does not have the mental fortitude in my opinion to be a leader in the NFL. This is the one move I hope the Jets at make. Our second should get it done. Just my opinion.

Do you add Geno to the trade to sweeten the deal?

9 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Why would he be a one year rental?

He plays for a season and if he does well, if he earns the job you pay him, if not you pass him along.  

Kind of like you do with every singly player under contract.  

If you do that, he hits the open market after "playing well", and he will go to the highest bidder.  Which almost assuredly won't be Mac and Co.  Some horrid team would throw the bank at Glennon, driving up his price beyond his worth once again.

So in your scenario, we overpay to get to test drive a failed backup (2nd round pick or higher) and then we have to overpay against the worst managed teams in the NFL to retain him IF he plays well (Osweiller money at a minimum, likely far more).  And if he doesn't, or we can't afford his asking price, we move on with nothing for our 2nd.

I just do not see that as smart management.  You really must believe, before you make this deal, that he is a sure-thing franchise QB to pay that price and start this stream of overpayments.  If not, you simply don't make the deal.

20 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Also when I looked it up a week or two ago (when he started to emerge as a backup plan to not re-signing Fitz), a good number of his TDs were garbage time or when the game was already well out of hand:

• vs Miami: Hoyer threw the first of his 3 TDs after they were already down 41-0 with the game 2/3 over. 
  • vs Atlanta: Hoyer threw the first of his 2 TD passes came with Houston down 42-0 in the 4th quarter

Remove these 100% useless TDs from these two games, and the rest of the way he put up 12 TDs and 9 INTs. Not a horror show, but doesn't have the same ring as 17:9 either. It's also not good enough to offset his injury risk (really, his injury inevitability). Even if he starts the season, no other QB in the league is as likely to force the team to already be starting the #2 QB by week 2. Best case scenario we'd have a right to expect, in using him as our stopgap over Fitz, is that the next man up takes over in early October.  

Actually that isn't a bad scenario because it gets the next guy up with plenty of games remaining, without having to throw him in there from week 1. A lot less pressure on him (and Bowles) from the rest of the team as well as the media. And from some fans; just not necessarily the fans on this site lol.

hey SE; what do you think of the Jets trying to obtain THIS guy from the Bengals? A.J. McCarron

http://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/aj-mccarron/

18 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

Man, WE NEED A QB and won't know What's the 

UNTIL THE DRAFT!!!!!

So I wanted to get in some of that young Tribe just now, clicked on the video and was hit with the "this video is not available in your country". 

Someone needs to inform youtube that Phife recently passed and the impact of that is "also available" in my country. 

******* youtube! 

1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

So I wanted to get in some of that young Tribe just now, clicked on the video and was hit with the "this video is not available in your country". 

Someone needs to inform youtube that Phife recently passed and the impact of that is "also available" in my country. 

******* youtube! 

YOU MEAN the INTERNET isn't a FREE FORM of UNCENSORED CONTENT CONTROLLED BY GOVTs?!?!?!?!? :jawdrop:

In my mind the only real options at this point are come up and compromise with Fitz, trade for Glennon, or draft a QB. Hoyer and McCown are terrible. I'd rather have Geno and Petty battle it out than one of them. Kaepernick will cost too much since Chip has too big of a hard on for him, and honestly I don't know how much of an upgrade he'd be over Geno.

If the option is a 2nd rounder then no way. Nothing shows Glennon is worth that no matter how you slice it. You're taking a wild barely educated guess on him. Winston had all sorts of question marks coming into the league, if Tampa felt Glennon was worthwhile they could've easily traded down for a kings ransom. Now if Tampa wants a 2017 4th rounder that can escalate to a 2nd or even a first based on performance then I'm listening. But zero chance I'd give them a 2nd up front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's the way I look at it.  I have seen a few mocks that have Paxton Lynch being taken by the Jets at 20, If he fell to 51 and the Jets took him, it would be widely felt that Lynch was a steal.

Right now if I had a free pick of either Lynch (a talented project) or Glennon, I would take Glennon.  He's looked pretty good in his limited opportunities.  He looks like he belongs in the NFL.

If the CS has a high opinion of Glennon, yeah i give them a 2nd   

Jets Mailbag: Mo Wilkerson for Mike Glennon trade speculation, Buster Skrine's role and early draft talk 

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Thursday, March 24, 2016, 12:34 PM
  • A
  •  
  • A
  •  
  • A
SHARE THIS URL
Mo Wilkerson trade speculation continues to swirl around the Jets this offseason.BRYN LENNON/GETTY IMAGES

Mo Wilkerson trade speculation continues to swirl around the Jets this offseason.

This week’s Jets mailbag features an intriguing quarterback option, a cornerback dilemma, an organizational fumble, a food comparison and much more.

Continue to tweet questions about all things Jets at @MMehtaNYDN and use the hash tag.

We're expanding our Jets coverage on Facebook with more analysis, opinions and fan engagement with chats. Like our Gang Green page atnydn.us/ManishMehta

2016 NFL FREE AGENT TRACKER: FOLLOW THE FRENZY HERE

Any chance the Jets can trade Mo Wilkerson for Bucs QB Mike Glennon? - Cheryl barnett ?@cbarn24

Bucs QB Mike GlennonJUSTIN K. ALLER/GETTY IMAGES

Bucs QB Mike Glennon

I’ve said it before and will say it again: Mike Maccagnan would be the happiest man on Earth if he could trade Wilkerson for, say, a Top 15 pick in the upcoming draft. He would no longer need his beloved coffee to get through the day: He would be on a natural rush for weeks, months or maybe even years.

Maccagnan recently said that the Jets are not actively pursuing a trade involving Wilkerson, but let’s get real for a moment. They have done their homework on the matter and simply don’t know of a team willing to pay that price to trade for Wilkerson.

Frankly, it still makes sense to trade Wilkerson for a package (second-round pick + late-round pick) at this point. It’ll be more valuable than the compensatory pick that the team would get if Wilkerson walks as a free agent after the season.

A Wilkerson-for-Glennon scenario makes for great discussion, doesn’t it?

JETS MAILBAG: LUKEWARM TRADE MARKET FOR MO WILKERSON

The Jets still want to retain Ryan Fitzpatrick, but they’re considering alternate options if the veteran doesn’t return. The team has done their due diligence on available signal callers, including the Bucs’ backup. Tampa Bay head coach Dirk Koetter all but admitted that Glennon, who won’t see the light of day for the Bucs unless Jameis Winston gets injured, can be had in a trade.

The feeling around the league is that the Bucs don’t have to get a first-round pick in return for Glennon, who is entering the final year of his rookie contract. Would the Jets be willing to dole out a second-rounder for Glennon? A third-rounder is a no-brainer for a player, who can start right away and have a chance to be your long-term answer at quarterback.

Could the Jets dodge giving up any premium draft picks if they dangle Wilkerson? The biggest stumbling block, of course, would be Tampa’s willingness to pay Wilkerson the $40+ million in guarantees that he desires in a long-term deal. Remember, the Bucs gave defensive tackle Gerald McCoy a 7-year, $95.2 million extension two years ago. Upon first glance, it seems that ponying up big-time loot for another defensive lineman would be unlikely.

Archived