Mac might be a stud

jgb

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Uh, no. Mac knows Fitz is a backup, hence the backup money. And I'll call him a stud if he can find a decent player in the draft outside the top 6 pick. 

Hold your horses. Mac agrees with me. Fitz is nothing more than a backup QB wanting to get paid Brady money. 

Fitz will start for a team next year week one this he is a starter. Apology accepted in September

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

26 minutes ago, jgb said:

Fitz will start for a team next year week one this he is a starter. Apology accepted in September

I like him and have been on your side with him, but you're wrong here.  If it was that cut and dry he'd have a contract in hand by now.  A fairly lucrative one at that.  The reason there's been such delay is because teams are not convinced 100% that he's an undoubted day 1 starter.  You my be right in that he will be starting day 1, but the only team where that's pretty much a guarantee is the Jets. 

A good percentage of Fitz's career he's been a starter. Not easy being with so many teams and winning a starting Qb job like that. He's been typecast as a backup (mostly by fans) because he was a 7th round pick out of Harvard. But he's been better than that. What Bowles had to say about him during the season to me made a lot of sense. That some players take time to find their true landing spot. And when they do they can play up to or even better than their talent level. I thought that was a pretty smart thing to say about Fitz and true. The players want him back, the coaches want him back and most of the fans do, too. There are some fans who can never be happy. If a Qb throws a pick esp in a crucial game like all of them have they want them out. Actually in that Buffalo game despite a poor game Fitz had them in a position to win and that's sometimes not bad because games don't always go your way. And the Bills are not bums. They are talent wise a good team (despite the coaching).

57 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

I like him and have been on your side with him, but you're wrong here.  If it was that cut and dry he'd have a contract in hand by now.  A fairly lucrative one at that.  The reason there's been such delay is because teams are not convinced 100% that he's an undoubted day 1 starter.  You my be right in that he will be starting day 1, but the only team where that's pretty much a guarantee is the Jets. 

denver has shown interest in fitz. if infact, denver does sign fitz, he would be the day 1 starter,imo. they would have to up thier offer from what the jets offer is, and i dont see the broncos paying that much for a back up qb

2 minutes ago, ylekram said:

denver has shown interest in fitz. if infact, denver does sign fitz, he would be the day 1 starter,imo. they would have to up thier offer from what the jets offer is, and i dont see the broncos paying that much for a back up qb

They already said they won't pay his asking price - which leads him back to us.

Just now, BklynJetsFan85 said:

They already said they won't pay his asking price - which leads him back to us.

the jets wont pay his asking price,either. nobody will. denver is still very much in play if/when fitz reduces his asking price

7 minutes ago, ylekram said:

Here's my invitation for negative rep today: I wouldn't be so certain that Fitz beats out Sanchez. 

4 minutes ago, ylekram said:

the jets wont pay his asking price,either. nobody will. denver is still very much in play if/when fitz reduces his asking price

if he lowers his asking price down to something reasonable the jets grab him...Sanchez could take his job in denver imo... He has only been really good under chan gailey's system, and looked really good last year due to having a marshall/decker tandem with a strong run game and defense. He can build on that or go to a team where he has no chemistry and a qb who could potentially take his job if he starts off slow the first 4-5 games. He doesn't have to worry about that in new york

One thing I've noticed about some of the Fitz detractors. A lot of them are Sanchez fans. They won't really give Fitz the cred he deserves and keep saying he is not a long term Jets Qb. Well, who really cares about that. 2016 is about winning games not developing young talent. Plus we have Petty and even Geno who are in that category and maybe we'll even draft a Qb this year. To me Fitz was our best starting Qb since Chad (and Brett). I think if Denver signs Fitz he's the starter. 

1 minute ago, slats said:

Here's my invitation for negative rep today: I wouldn't be so certain that Fitz beats out Sanchez. 

never happen. not from me, anyways. yea, i kinda forgot about sanchez being traded there. i like fitzpatrick more than sanchez, but you never know. i always felt that sanchez had potential, but then resorted back to him being damaged goods. if denver believes that sanchez and fitz can duke it out, than its not going to happen with fitz. denver wont pay more than the jets and i dont think fitz want to battle it out,either. could be denver rolls with sanchez and looks to the draft

22 minutes ago, slats said:

There's a difference between a journeyman and a career clipboard carrier. Teams actually want Fitz to start for them.

Meanwhile, it's always bad news when Sanchez is under center. It means something has gone terribly wrong for your team.

Its possible there was too much love for Fitz last year, including from yours truly. But at this point it's clear its gone in the opposite direction, to too much hate. People up-repping the idea that Sanchez could beat out Fitz after the season Fitz just had (while Sanchez rode the pine then was traded basically for a bucket of balls) is absurd.

2 hours ago, JiF said:

I dont think they're trying to create a win now type of team.   They didnt even make the playoffs last year with the easiest schedule in the NFL, the best offense they've had since the 80's, a top 10 D, controlled their own destiny, etc.

They're doing what they can with very limited resources.  Mac doesnt have much of a choice and nothing they've done screams "WIN NOW"...if they were, Fitz would have been signed. 

Point taken. I guess I don't see these guys making us better and would rather give young guys even UDFA types a chance over plaYing veteran JAGS 

1 hour ago, Rangers9 said:

One thing I've noticed about some of the Fitz detractors. A lot of them are Sanchez fans. They won't really give Fitz the cred he deserves and keep saying he is not a long term Jets Qb. Well, who really cares about that. 2016 is about winning games not developing young talent. Plus we have Petty and even Geno who are in that category and maybe we'll even draft a Qb this year. To me Fitz was our best starting Qb since Chad (and Brett). I think if Denver signs Fitz he's the starter. 

Def not what you would call a fan of Sanchez... he's an average QB... BUT when given talent around him and a solid defense.... he has shown he can do just enough to take a team deep into the playoffs.

6 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

the debate is, do you pay fitz based on other qbs or what the market will pay in general?  what fitz is finding out is that it has nothing to do with what osweiler or bradford makes.  

fitz is in a more precarious position than he realizes.  mccags is very focused on drafting a qb and fitz may start training camp waiting for another qb to get injured before he signs.  

But think about it, Fitz is used to this.  Throughout his career he's been sitting around waiting to be signed or traded.  Mac is playing this correctly but he's up against a pro here.  Anyone who thinks this bothers Fitz is not considering his history.  I previously thought the Jets would sign him at some point, but now not so sore and I'm okay with that.

Again signing Fitz to more then 7 for 1 year is insane. I personally want to move on, unless your happy winning 8 or 9 games and going home again. No playoff, poor draft position and nothing to show but a wasted season.

Fitz is a backup QB he was brought in as a backup and paid like on last season.

If Mac is looking for long term answers then trade for one of the young prospects such as Glennon and let's get on with the future.

39 minutes ago, BklynJetsFan85 said:

Def not what you would call a fan of Sanchez... he's an average QB... BUT when given talent around him and a solid defense.... he has shown he can do just enough to take a team deep into the playoffs.

I give Mark credit for accomplishishments sure but that was 7 years ago. Many of his teammates like Thomas Jones who had as much if not more to do with those playoff Ws are retired. Mark's fans keep living in a past that wasn't really that great.

7 hours ago, gEYno said:

Honestly don't care what we pay him this year.  Just don't want to be attached to him for the following season.

I don't think there's much of a chance of that. He's the last average starting quarterback on the market. He's going to get years from somebody. The prices have gotten kind of screwy. This draft is going to be interesting.

2 hours ago, slats said:

Clearly nobody can be especially certain of that considering he's coming off a competition in which he apparently hadn't been beating out Geno Smith who is pretty much equally terrible. Be that as it may, I am very certain that Fitzpatrick is better than Sanchez.

11 hours ago, KRL said:

Credit also goes to Maccagnan as he works the cap this off-season.  Because it's obvious
he has opened up cap space (with all the players we've signed) but they aren't revealing
it to the media.  Which gives us a competitive advantage over the agents looking for
deals because they really don't know what we have to spend

Mac put us in this position in the first place. Not sure why I should give Mac any credit for anything cap related this year. He was handed $50mil in cap space and went crazy in the FA without regards to the following year's cap situation.

13 hours ago, jgb said:

I was promoting jets signing fitz early and paying him but damn they might get their man at the right price. If he brings him back sub 10MM then he is a poker master.

Yeah, I would have to agree with that. But if Fitz gets more money some other place and leaves, what will Mac be then? Something in the vicinity of chump I would think.....

But really I don't care who wins this fight, I just want to see both sides reach an agreement for the betterment of the team.

10 hours ago, Beerfish said:

10 wins coming off a 4 win season, 31 td passes, 3,900 yards, sacked only 19 times, 2 to 1 td to int ratio, 2 lost fumbles. at least 17 points every game, Only one game all year without a td pass, 3rd in the league in red zone efficiency, long time star receiver has his best year as a pro.

Besides defeating two teams with a winning record (one of which were the Deadskins with a losing record at the time), we lost a bunch of games to teams with a losing record. We had the easiest schedule in the league. 10 wins mean nothing without a playoff birth in such a year. His 31 TD passes and 3900+ yards rank him near the middle of the pack. Considering he faced 9 teams ranked 21st and worst (13 teams ranked in the bottom half of the league), those 'accomplishments' aren't so much of an accomplishment.

You guys continually make yourselves look utterly stupid with your comments about Fitzpatrick's last year.  Trying to diminish a very good year as a Qb becasue you don't like other things about the guy makes a person look like a fool.

He was bailed by Brandon Marshall several times on sh*tty throws. Yeah, it happens often in the NFL but the rate it happened at in NY was pretty high. Plus, I just showed why his statistical facts don't tell the whole story. I don't look at stats to know he's a backup QB. Fools are those that think Fitz somehow revived his career at age 33 and should be paid 'Brady money' annually.

Don't like fitzpatick?  fine.  don't want to resign him under any situation? fine.  Think he was greatly helped buy what ever metric you want?  fine.  To ignore his last year as being pretty damn good for a backup....very weak.

over the course of the year, accumulated an 88.0 passer rating, finishing as the 24th best passer in the league by that metric. He also completed 59.6 percent of his passes (29th in the league), averaged 6.9 yards per attempt (27th in the league), threw 31 touchdowns (tied for 10th in the league) and 15 interceptions (tied for the fifth-most in the league).

Those figures are borderline starter/backup stats. I could be wrong though.

Do you know what matt moore is being paid? 

Matt Moore has thrown for 219 yards in the last 4 years. I doubt there was a long list of teams wanting his 'clip-holding' services.

See my reply in RED.

8 hours ago, slats said:

Sanchez' best season in his 7 year career:
2011: 3,474 yards, 32 TDs (26 passing, 6 rushing), and 18 ints.

Fitz' best season in his first 7 years:
2010: 3,000 yards, 23 TDs and 15 ints.

So yeah, Fitz hasn't proven he can beat out Sanchez yet.

14 hours ago, Beerfish said:

10 wins coming off a 4 win season, 31 td passes, 3,900 yards, sacked only 19 times, 2 to 1 td to int ratio, 2 lost fumbles. at least 17 points every game, Only one game all year without a td pass, 3rd in the league in red zone efficiency, long time star receiver has his best year as a pro.

You guys continually make yourselves look utterly stupid with your comments about Fitzpatrick's last year.  Trying to diminish a very good year as a Qb becasue you don't like other things about the guy makes a person look like a fool.

Don't like fitzpatick?  fine.  don't want to resign him under any situation? fine.  Think he was greatly helped buy what ever metric you want?  fine.  To ignore his last year as being pretty damn good for a backup....very weak.

Do you know what matt moore is being paid? 

this !!

I think Macc knows exactly what he's doing and so does Fitz and its nothing like what's being described in this forum. He will be our QB this year

2 hours ago, j4jets said:

Sanchez' best season in his 7 year career:
2011: 3,474 yards, 32 TDs (26 passing, 6 rushing), and 18 ints.

Fitz' best season in his first 7 years:
2010: 3,000 yards, 23 TDs and 15 ints.

So yeah, Fitz hasn't proven he can beat out Sanchez yet.

Maybe you should post about Rich Gannon's career he was a late bloomer, is it so hard to believe Fitz might be in the same boat ??? Gannon never had a strong arm but he did well with good talent on the Raiders. Fitz never had the talent to play with and in some years where he was doing very well in Buffalo that team got decimated with injuries.

Fitz is a good QB and will continue to be one if the Jets handle it right. Should be interesting to see how he does with Forte, Robinson and hopefully  a healthy Powell for a full season adding a TE will also help a ton . Fitz did what he did with no check down options.

16 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Not liking our offseason at all. We should be getting younger and faster not signing 30+ year old running backs and more D lineman. Dumb to try and create a win now type of roster with this team. If he spends future money on Fitz I will be really disillusioned 

These are supporting building blocks, not splashy overpays just to throw a bone to fans who want headlines. He went a bit too far with that last year (particularly in our secondary) and I think he's already seeing the constraints that put on building the rest of the team just 1 season later. 

The RBs are cheap enough and short-term enough to still grab a RB no matter where that value presents itself (other than maybe round 1 this year), but useful and long-term enough to not force our hands in the draft this year or next year. We had a hole at NT and you couldn't solve that by doing nothing. Facts are facts: Snacks was not under contract anymore and bringing that same player back would have cost more for a NT than we're prepared to offer last year's starting QB.

I look at these same moves and I think it looks like they are NOT trying to build a win-now roster, otherwise they'd have just sucked it up and made a $12M offer to Fitzpatrick instead of risking maybe better/maybe worse, or would have restructured other players to make it possible to re-sign Snacks.

They want to build the team with the draft, but not leave gaps open so we are forced to take the best NT or RB or OLB instead of the best prospects we can get our hands on. Because 3+ years down the road, when those draftees are hopefully in or entering his prime, you're not going to care what our immediate "needs" were back in 2016. 

Archived