Setting up for 2017

CanadaSteve

We may not like it, but it would seem the Jets are (perhaps) taking a step back this year.  There was not a lot of money, with Mo's franchise tag and D'Brick's price-tag, and no starting QB. 

That said, I wonder if the idea for this season is to evaluate young talent, get more young talent in here through the draft and UDFA, with an eye to 2017.

As of right now, the Jets only have 40 players under contract in 2017, with Bryce Petty being the ONLY QB.  I think it is fair to assume that a high draft pick is going to be spent on a QB, with perhaps Geno getting one last chance if Fitz does not re-up.

Presuming (for ease of numbers) the salary cap was to jump a small amount to $160 million for the season, that would give the Jets roughly $36 million to start.  We can then assume the following will happen:

Cutting D'Brick = $13 million save

Cutting Mangold = $9 million saved

Cutting Folk = $3 million saved

Cutting Harris = $6 million saved

Cutting Breno = $4 million saved

That extra $35 million would give the Jets $71 million for the year.  Add to that, if they REALLY wanted to clean up, they could cut Brandon Marshall, Buster Skrine and Marcus Gilchrist and save another $17.5 million. 

With the talent drafted last year, a bit of the young talent from before, the talent from this draft AND next years draft, and almost $75 million dollars to spend, the Jets could be getting set up for a good streak.  

Personally, the key to all this, I think, falls into three categories:  1) Putting up with this year    2) Spending the money wisely and not throwing it at just big names   3) drafting a QB.

It will all go for naught if this team cannot find themselves a QB that can win.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

Breno will probably be cut this year imo.  Would have to look at level of performance for some of these other guys.  It would only make sense to cut a guy like Marshall if his play really fell off.  I can see Mangold being replaced, DBrick for sure next year if not this year.  Skrine is paid a fair bit.  I think a lot will depend on if draft picks from last year and new ones this year show they can play at a good level.

8 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Breno will probably be cut this year imo.  Would have to look at level of performance for some of these other guys.  It would only make sense to cut a guy like Marshall if his play really fell off.  I can see Mangold being replaced, DBrick for sure next year if not this year.  Skrine is paid a fair bit.  I think a lot will depend on if draft picks from last year and new ones this year show they can play at a good level.

Yeah, Breno will probably go this year, but as of right now, his number would save over four for next year. 

I hope that with all that money, the Jets play this smart.  Just because you have the money doesn't mean you have to spend it all.  Keep some in the bank to pay Sheldon, Mauldin, Williams, or franchise QB (who and whenever that will be)  :)

9 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

We may not like it, but it would seem the Jets are (perhaps) taking a step back this year.  There was not a lot of money, with Mo's franchise tag and D'Brick's price-tag, and no starting QB. 

That said, I wonder if the idea for this season is to evaluate young talent, get more young talent in here through the draft and UDFA, with an eye to 2017.

As of right now, the Jets only have 40 players under contract in 2017, with Bryce Petty being the ONLY QB.  I think it is fair to assume that a high draft pick is going to be spent on a QB, with perhaps Geno getting one last chance if Fitz does not re-up.

Presuming (for ease of numbers) the salary cap was to jump a small amount to $160 million for the season, that would give the Jets roughly $36 million to start.  We can then assume the following will happen:

That extra $35 million would give the Jets $71 million for the year.  Add to that, if they REALLY wanted to clean up, they could cut Brandon Marshall, Buster Skrine and Marcus Gilchrist and save another $17.5 million. 

With the talent drafted last year, a bit of the young talent from before, the talent from this draft AND next years draft, and almost $75 million dollars to spend, the Jets could be getting set up for a good streak.  

Personally, the key to all this, I think, falls into three categories:  1) Putting up with this year    2) Spending the money wisely and not throwing it at just big names   3) drafting a QB.

It will all go for naught if this team cannot find themselves a QB that can win.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

We had a ridiculously easy schedule last year and on paper, a tough one next year. I expected a step back even before the offseason began. This draft will be big mac's most important draft he will ever have. He has to hit on all these picks, and grab us a qb. I think his plan is to make a real run in '17

9 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

Yeah, let's cut all the players and we can have over a 100 mil in cap. Happens all the time in the NFL because if you don't have a franchise QB, you cut any player that resembles any talent. You don't wanna be sh*t at just one spot. You wanna be sh*t all around. 

I'm all for cutting dead weight of overpaid players who will rob us of future flexibility; who are/will be top-heavy salaries we simply don't need to carry; plus not getting younger guys reps because the old one might today be a hair better (or a safer known quantity devil-you-know).

Lastly, cutting still-productive veterans entering the last year of their contract ends up throwing likely compensatory draft picks right into the garbage.

This plan doesn't read like that, Canada. This is more like just cutting for the sake of cutting, in the absence of having any goal or plan in using all this cleared-up cap room once it's done.

terrible post each year the jets and knicks appear to be "setting up for a future run" gets old 

Jets have the talent to win now-get rid of noodle arm fitz and trade for kap a qb that has actually won big games that count unlike Fitz that looses must win and in games vs scrub teams at half strength

11 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

That plan isn't setting up the Jets for success in 2017, but more like 2020 .      You don't win in the NFL by having the most cash in Fa( those contracts are really expensive- players going on their second contract.     You win in the NFL by drafting very well.( those are the cheap contracts that bring long term success)  Having a couple very good drafts in a row change a teams fortune more, than having so called cap space.

Also hitting on the Qb position is very important for long term success also.

The plan you want the Jets to follow would be a disaster. It takes talent to win in the NFl or teams would be signing 53 up drafted free agents.

5 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I am starting to wonder if the Jets missed out on their window to just let themselves be bad. 

ship has sailed with the signing of forte. team likely to muster 6 wins with no hope of getting top 5 pick

45 minutes ago, afosomf said:

ship has sailed with the signing of forte. team likely to muster 6 wins with no hope of getting top 5 pick

Earlier. I think that ship sailed when Woody refused to fire Rex at the bye week of Idzik's last year. Now the organization is stuck in this we kind of have to try but we can't really try because we can't figure out how to get a quarterback-type period. Fingers crossed that they make some moves on draft day for something going forward because by all appearances right now it looks like we're in for a pretty ******* dull era of Jets football.

17 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

But who will play with all those cuts?

7 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Pretty much this. The Jets haven't exactly been doing much to dispel the notion that this is a throwaway season and it's pretty pathetic. If I was a season ticket holder I'd be livid.

I AM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:censored2::censored2::censored2:

On 3/22/2016 at 1:27 PM, CanadaSteve said:

I'm shocked that a few of these guys haven't been cut already.  

On 2016-03-23 at 1:17 AM, Sperm Edwards said:

I'm all for cutting dead weight of overpaid players who will rob us of future flexibility; who are/will be top-heavy salaries we simply don't need to carry; plus not getting younger guys reps because the old one might today be a hair better (or a safer known quantity devil-you-know).

Lastly, cutting still-productive veterans entering the last year of their contract ends up throwing likely compensatory draft picks right into the garbage.

This plan doesn't read like that, Canada. This is more like just cutting for the sake of cutting, in the absence of having any goal or plan in using all this cleared-up cap room once it's done.

Not cutting for the sake of cutting at all.  We all know Brick and Geno are goners, if not this year then next.  Mangold will be replaced soon too.  His play is going to start to decline.  I was just pointing out that Marshall could be cut.  Not saying he will, but the fact is these contracts are beneficial to the Jets because there is no dead money.  IF, and that is the key word, the Jets can get better for cheaper, you do it.  If not, then you keep the guys because they can afford them.

I think Mac will definitely draft a QB early this year, and I think he will be looking for a replacement for Brick.  But this draft is also quite deep at centre.  I would not be surprised if he drafts one with an eye to the future in getting younger at the position, and saving money. 

On 3/23/2016 at 8:07 AM, RutgersJetFan said:

Pretty much this. The Jets haven't exactly been doing much to dispel the notion that this is a throwaway season and it's pretty pathetic. If I was a season ticket holder I'd be livid.

Serious question. You have over 24,000 posts, and are NOT a season ticket holder? Please tell me that was a joke. PLEASE!

On March 23, 2016 at 8:11 AM, RutgersJetFan said:

Earlier. I think that ship sailed when Woody refused to fire Rex at the bye week of Idzik's last year. Now the organization is stuck in this we kind of have to try but we can't really try because we can't figure out how to get a quarterback-type period. Fingers crossed that they make some moves on draft day for something going forward because by all appearances right now it looks like we're in for a pretty ******* dull era of Jets football.

Rex...... Infamous for having his team play the hardest only after they ve been eliminated from playoff contention. 

21 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

Not cutting for the sake of cutting at all.  We all know Brick and Geno are goners, if not this year then next.  Mangold will be replaced soon too.  His play is going to start to decline.  I was just pointing out that Marshall could be cut.  Not saying he will, but the fact is these contracts are beneficial to the Jets because there is no dead money.  IF, and that is the key word, the Jets can get better for cheaper, you do it.  If not, then you keep the guys because they can afford them.

I think Mac will definitely draft a QB early this year, and I think he will be looking for a replacement for Brick.  But this draft is also quite deep at centre.  I would not be surprised if he drafts one with an eye to the future in getting younger at the position, and saving money. 

Cutting players who are still useful - like Marshall and Mangold - before their contracts are up makes no sense unless the team cannot afford them and they are both being paid well above market for what they bring. Consider:

You are considering cutting Marshall on 3/1/2017 in anticipation that he is going to start to decline. He was due to make $7.5M ($0 guaranteed). He will surely get re-signed by someone else unless he retires, whether playing through 2017 or being cut on 3/1/2017. What I'm getting at is you are giving up a mid-round compensatory pick for no reason. Unless Marshall is suddenly unworthy of his contract with 1 year $7.5M remaining, it would be foolishness to cut him just for savings we'd typically need to spend anyway to get his production (and would almost assuredly fall short of doing so unless we just get plain lucky in FA or the draft).

Re Mangold, if we draft a center and he looks good enough in practice this year, then that may change things. But right now, with meh or worse at both tackle positions and one guard position, Mangold is uncuttable because of what might be. You can't draft 3 offensive linemen this year and expect to start all 3 next year. You can do that with 1, but 2 or more 1st year starters you should expect some growing pains. Certainly with 3. If we picked up a veteran OT who we'd keep thru 2017, that would make Mangold more expendable. Problem is, like Marshall, he doesn't cost much that year. His cap charge is high, but that's because of past bonus $ that is coming off the cap whether you keep or cut him. You only save his new money, which is around $6.5M (after which, we'd get a comp pick because someone will sign him after that unless he retires; he's still a very good player). 

You need to forget about prior SB paid when worrying about cutting someone because there's no dead cap space. That leads to emotional decisions not rational ones. Going forward, which is all that matters rationally, the only thing you should take into consideration is how much more we're scheduled to pay. Why? Because that's how much more is going to come off the cap. The past bonus money, amortized into their current cap charge, is gone. It was paid to the player so it's got to come off no matter what. So unless you're the one who wrote the check, and want full value for the amount paid previously, ignore it for the purposes of keeping or letting someone go. Going forward, though, it should have no bearing beyond emotion. Unless there is future guaranteed money, cutting a $5M player saves $5M whether there was $1M in past signing/option bonus money paid, $10M in past bonus paid, or $0 in past bonus paid. If you pay him $5M again for the coming season, then another $5M comes off the cap. If you cut/trade him, then it doesn't.

19 hours ago, whodeawhodat said:

oh, and fvck that plan.  looks like you sorted the NYJ roster by salary and just chopped the top 10 players on the list. Marshall? Really? 

And again, I never said anything about it.  I was pointing out what could happen.  They could also restructure Marshall. 

Whatever the Jets do, there are players that are not going to be on this team in 2017 (Breno, D'Brick), and a lot of the contracts are set up so they can be cut or restructured.  They will have a boat-load of money, and will have (hopefully) two more drafts full of good young (and cheap) talent.

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Cutting players who are still useful - like Marshall and Mangold - before their contracts are up makes no sense unless the team cannot afford them and they are both being paid well above market for what they bring. Consider:

You are considering cutting Marshall on 3/1/2017 in anticipation that he is going to start to decline. He was due to make $7.5M ($0 guaranteed). He will surely get re-signed by someone else unless he retires, whether playing through 2017 or being cut on 3/1/2017. What I'm getting at is you are giving up a mid-round compensatory pick for no reason. Unless Marshall is suddenly unworthy of his contract with 1 year $7.5M remaining, it would be foolishness to cut him just for savings we'd typically need to spend anyway to get his production (and would almost assuredly fall short of doing so unless we just get plain lucky in FA or the draft).

Re Mangold, if we draft a center and he looks good enough in practice this year, then that may change things. But right now, with meh or worse at both tackle positions and one guard position, Mangold is uncuttable because of what might be. You can't draft 3 offensive linemen this year and expect to start all 3 next year. You can do that with 1, but 2 or more 1st year starters you should expect some growing pains. Certainly with 3. If we picked up a veteran OT who we'd keep thru 2017, that would make Mangold more expendable. Problem is, like Marshall, he doesn't cost much that year. His cap charge is high, but that's because of past bonus $ that is coming off the cap whether you keep or cut him. You only save his new money, which is around $6.5M (after which, we'd get a comp pick because someone will sign him after that unless he retires; he's still a very good player). 

You need to forget about prior SB paid when worrying about cutting someone because there's no dead cap space. That leads to emotional decisions not rational ones. Going forward, which is all that matters rationally, the only thing you should take into consideration is how much more we're scheduled to pay. Why? Because that's how much more is going to come off the cap. The past bonus money, amortized into their current cap charge, is gone. It was paid to the player so it's got to come off no matter what. So unless you're the one who wrote the check, and want full value for the amount paid previously, ignore it for the purposes of keeping or letting someone go. Going forward, though, it should have no bearing beyond emotion. Unless there is future guaranteed money, cutting a $5M player saves $5M whether there was $1M in past signing/option bonus money paid, $10M in past bonus paid, or $0 in past bonus paid. If you pay him $5M again for the coming season, then another $5M comes off the cap. If you cut/trade him, then it doesn't.

I am not considering cutting Marshall everyone!!!  Just pointing out that his contract is completely non-guaranteed and that it is an option.  If he is still performing at a high level, I would prefer they restructure his deal slightly.  I say Mangold because this draft is deep with centers and it COULD be a possibility that they replace Mangold before it gets to the position that we have seen with Ferguson where his play has dropped significantly.  Mangold isn't going to get better as a player.

1 hour ago, bealeb319 said:

we better draft some offensive lineman if we are going to cut our entire o line next year.

We will be.  Ferguson and Breno will not be on this team within 1-2 years, and I bet Mangold will be gone in 3 max

Archived