could jets trade for Sam Bradford & dump Ryan Fitzpatrick ? ? ?

kelly

Reaching into the New York Jets mailbag, one last time before the draft :

@RichCimini Any chance the Jets give up on Fitz and try to trade a pick for Bradford? #jetsmail

@RichCimini : I don't see this happening for a few of reasons, Bryan. ThePhiladelphia Eagles say they're not trading Sam Bradford and the Jets say their primary focus is re-signing Ryan Fitzpatrick. I'm going to take their comments at face value and assume neither side will pursue your proposed trade.

The Jets' patience with Fitzpatrick will run out at some point, but I don't think it will happen before the draft, which is only five days away. I also don't think they're keen on giving away draft picks. They have only six picks, including two seventh-rounders -- not exactly a treasure trove of draft capital. They'd probably have to give up a third- or fourth-rounder for Bradford, and that would create a sizable hole in the middle of their draft. The Jets, an older team, can't keep trading away draft picks.

If they trade for Bradford, they'd inherit the two-year contract he recently signed with the Eagles. That would mean adding $11 million in guarantees to the payroll -- his $7 million base salary this season, plus $4 million of his $13 million base in 2017. There's also a $4 million roster bonus next year. All told, it's two years, $24 million -- not a bad deal for a 28-year-old starting quarterback. But can you count on Bradford, considering his injury history and inconsistent play?

The Eagles say Bradford will be their starter this season, but it's only a temporary gig. After trading up to No. 2, they will pick a quarterback -- probably Carson Wentz -- and make Bradford a very expensive placeholder. Financially, it would be very difficult to trade him. His contract includes an $11 million signing bonus, and the Eagles are on the hook for that amount. Right now, he's counting $12 million on the cap. If they trade him, they'd save $1.5 million, but it's insane to take an $11 million cap hit for a guy you signed only two months ago. They'd have to be blown away by a trade offer to eat that kind of dough, and I don't see that offer coming from the Jets.

>     http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/59932/could-jets-trade-for-sam-bradford-and-dump-ryan-fitzpatrick

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eagles quarterback Sam Bradford doesn't feel very wanted in Philadelphia and now, it seems that he wants out.

According to Bleacher Report's Jason Cole, Bradford is likely to "ask for a trade" or "some way to get out of Philadelphia so that he can move on with his career somewhere else, with a team that is going to be invested in him long-term."If Bradford does want out of Philly, it wouldn't be a complete surprise. The Eagles quarterback was reportedly upset on Wednesday after his team made a trade with theBrowns that gave the Eagles the No. 2 overall pick in the NFL Draft.

The reason Bradford's upset with the trade is because Eagles executive vice president Howie Roseman made it clear that Philly's going to take a quarterback with the second pick, which means more competition for Bradford.If the Eagles do grab a quarterback with the second pick, that means they'd have three well-paid quarterbacks on the roster, which is one too many, according to Jon Gruden."The problem I see right now in Philadelphia is they have too many quarterbacks to be friendly with," Gruden said on Thursday, via ESPN.com. "How are they going to distribute any reps and get anybody ready when you've got Sam Bradford making $18 million, you gotChase Daniel, who's a backup, making $7 million?"

It's actually worse than that: Daniel's contract includes $12 million in guarantees, Bradford's includes $22 million in guarantees, and whomever comes in with the No. 2 pick will get a contract that includes at least $24 million in guarantees.

That's a lot of money for a position where only one guy can play at a time."I don't know how you're going to get these guys all reps and get them all ready, but Doug Pederson will have to answer that," Gruden said. "That will be a challenge."

Gruden, who now works for ESPN, hasn't coached since 2008, but he has a theory on what might happen, and it meshes with what Cole reported."There could be a trade," Gruden said. "I don't want to start any rumors in Philadelphia, but if they do draft a quarterback, with all they have invested in him, I'm sure they want to get him as many reps as possible. That's going to make somebody unhappy and perhaps expendable."

The biggest thing holding the Eagles back from a Bradford trade is probably his contract.

The quarterback has already collected an $11 million signing bonus from the team, which means if the Eagles were to trade him, they'd have paid him $11 million on his new contract to play zero snaps. That kind of deal isn't great for business if you're the Eagles.On the other hand, Bradford is set to count $12.5 million against the salary cap in 2016, so the Eagles would save $1.5 million in cap space. Also, if the trade went down after June 1, the Eagles could spread the $11 million cap hit over two seasons ($5.5 million a year).

Plus, any new team would pick up the rest of Bradford's $11 million in guaranteed money ($7 million in 2016 base salary plus $4 million roster bonus in March 2017).Basically, a new team would pay Bradford $7 million for 2016, which is interesting because that's the exact number Broncos general manager John Elway wanted to pay Colin Kaepernick. If Bradford wants out and a team is willing to pay a price the Eagles can't refuse (second- or third-round pick), it wouldn't be a shocker to see Bradford get traded.

>      http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25563553/report-sam-bradford-likely-to-ask-eagles-for-trade-out-of-philadelphia

If I am the Eagles I am trading Chase Daniels.  Possibly even to the Jets.  They should get someone to take his guaranteed salary.  If Fitz does not sign, send them Geno for Chase Daniels, and draft another QB, preferably round 2 or 3.

I'd like to ask a serious question. What has Sam Bradford done in his career? Why would we trade for and pay Sam Bradford that amount of money? When has he been the answer? I mean, because if he was ever the answer then why is he being traded? I could understand if you're taking a chance on a guy that you dont have to pay an average of 17 million dollars to. But this guy wasnt the answer in St. Louis, not the answer in Philly with what they just did yet he's been paid as if he's been that guy. 

No. 

4 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

I'd like to ask a serious question. What has Sam Bradford done in his career? Why would we trade for and pay Sam Bradford that amount of money? When has he been the answer? I mean, because if he was ever the answer then why is he being traded? I could understand if you're taking a chance on a guy that you dont have to pay an average of 17 million dollars to. But this guy wasnt the answer in St. Louis, not the answer in Philly with what they just did yet he's been paid as if he's been that guy. 

No. 

Sam Bradford in signing with the mismanaged Eagles made a very big mistake.  Let's see if it affects the Eagles to sign players going forward.  But in any event, he should realize that he is in a priviledged position to play this game, and he should do his best, count his money and be quiet.  

The Eagles at 2 are likely playing Wentz.  Wentz sits for at least a year.   Bradford gets to start and show what he can do, if he does not get hurt.  If and when Wentz is ready, the Eagles will trade or cut Bradford.  Bradford is doing fine in the big picture.

The Giants are lucky to be in the same division as the Eagles, Redskins and sometimes Cowboys.

Eagles are going to shock the world and draft Elliot. Doesn't make sense to sign two QBs to big contracts where you over pay them and then move up in the draft to get a franchise QB. yes I know it is stupid think they would trade that much for a RB but I mean any way you slice it the Eagles are stupid for making this trade (Even if it pans out for them it is not worth the risk they took). The contracts they dished out to their two QBs will make it hard for them to trade them and if they do it will be for little to no compensation.

If we were to trade a player whose salary is also fully gauranteed (like Harris) I wonder if that helps balance things out?

In essence, they'd be paying for our QB (at least a sizable portion of his contract) and we'd be paying for their MLB. 

It wouldn't be a straight-up trade, there would still be some pick fodder tossed in, and only if Mo gets moved, for MUL-TIPLE picks, But I could see something creative happening along those lines. 

17 minutes ago, varjet said:

Sam Bradford in signing with the mismanaged Eagles made a very big mistake.  Let's see if it affects the Eagles to sign players going forward.  But in any event, he should realize that he is in a priviledged position to play this game, and he should do his best, count his money and be quiet.  

The Eagles at 2 are likely playing Wentz.  Wentz sits for at least a year.   Bradford gets to start and show what he can do, if he does not get hurt.  If and when Wentz is ready, the Eagles will trade or cut Bradford.  Bradford is doing fine in the big picture.

The Giants are lucky to be in the same division as the Eagles, Redskins and sometimes Cowboys.

I agree with all of this, for as long as the Jets have nothing to do with him 

If the Jets can't move Mo before/during the draft, and Bradford continues to bitch in Philly, a straight up trade would give the Jets Bradford at the money they want to pay Fitz (this year) and actually save $8M against the cap. Maybe not the worst consolation prize, especially if they don't land a decent QB prospect in the draft. 

39 minutes ago, varjet said:

If I am the Eagles I am trading Chase Daniels.  Possibly even to the Jets.  They should get someone to take his guaranteed salary.  If Fitz does not sign, send them Geno for Chase Daniels, and draft another QB, preferably round 2 or 3.

Why would we want Chase Daniels, or Bradford himself for that matter?

This is really getting sad, we have NY media and fans who literally pop up every time ANY QB is released, rumored to be released, or even mentioned saying "Jets will/could/should trade for him!"

Yeah, no.  Just stop, please.  We're not trading draft picks for other teams castoff #2/#3's, and we're not signing other teams unwanted released fodder when we have equally bad but experienced in our system losers like Geno Smith already.

I'm beginning to wonder if there is any QB some Jets Fan somewhere doesn't think we should sign.  Hey, I hear Browning Nagle might be available......

38 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

No. 

The only question that Bradford is an answer for is" who is one of the worst 1st picks in NFL history?"

6 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Mo to Philadelphia makes perfect sense he played college ball at Temple and its close to his NY/NJ roots.

Bradford id take any day of the week over Fitz a change of scenery might do him good. 

You're literally unbelievable.

43 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

Eagles are going to shock the world and draft Elliot. Doesn't make sense to sign two QBs to big contracts where you over pay them and then move up in the draft to get a franchise QB. yes I know it is stupid think they would trade that much for a RB but I mean any way you slice it the Eagles are stupid for making this trade (Even if it pans out for them it is not worth the risk they took). The contracts they dished out to their two QBs will make it hard for them to trade them and if they do it will be for little to no compensation.

They didn't trade up to draft a running back.  They could've gotten Elliot if they stayed where they were.

1 minute ago, adb280z said:

They didn't trade up to draft a running back.  They could've gotten Elliot if they stayed where they were.

Unless they were scared that the Chargers or Cowboys wanted him. Chargers weren't going to draft a QB now all of a sudden they have their pick of anyone in the draft they could possibly want and they are looking to trade down?

Based on those money figures that Bradford contract isn't prohibitive. I'd definitely give up a pick for him. It would probably take a 3rd rounder at least to get him. I don't think Philly would deal him but maybe they're lying. Bradford as starter with Geno as backup and Petty who Mac said he's glad he's on the Jets wouldn't be bad. To me Bradford is better than Fitz. But the advantage to Fitz is his relationship with the players esp Marshall and Decker. And his knowledge of our system and background with Gailey. I think that Fitz or Bradford are our two best scenarios.

1 hour ago, PatsFanTX said:

Jets need to do what it takes to grab Lynch.

Fitz, Bradford, Hoyer, Glennon, Geno, etc. are not the answer.

I give it exactly one hour after we draft him before you'll have several paragraphs explaining why he's the next Erik Ainge.

I give it exactly one hour after we draft him before you'll have several paragraphs explaining why he's the next Erik Ainge.

I would never do that.

Lynch has all the physical skills to excel in the NFL.

Unless he is dumber than a door nail, he should have a very solid NFL career.

5 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

I would never do that.

Lynch has all the physical skills to excel in the NFL.

Yep, that's all it takes, be tall,  able to throw a football, and read, you'll have a solid career in the NFL

6 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

*Lynch stutters in the post draft interview, Tex sees his opening.

"Congrats guys, you drafted a f*cking window licker to win you a Superbowl, LOL"

2 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

No. 

I just do not like him.  He seems ineffectual to me---when he is not in a cast.

The Jets currrent qbs are Geno and Petty.  To our knowledge, Fitz wants to be paid an amount that would force the Jets to mortgage their future and cut and/or restructure players in an irresponsible way.  

So, if we can't get Fitz signed for a reasonable amount, perhaps Daniels could be added to the mix for a fair amount?

Bradford could be reasonably priced after Phila takes the hit for his bonus.  

Another option would be to draft someone and go into the season with Geno, Petty and draftee.  

There are many options.

2 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Mo to Philadelphia makes perfect sense he played college ball at Temple and its close to his NY/NJ roots.

Bradford id take any day of the week over Fitz a change of scenery might do him good. 

does a different hospital room count as a change of scenery?

Archived