Should we trust Mac Daddy?

BowlesMovement

Slightly different approach to should we do this, or should we do that..... I am looking at this as, should we trust Mac? Has he done enough to earn our trust, or not? At the end of the day, if he loves Lynch, and trades the farm for him, or if he takes Cook, or Hackenberg, or none of these guys, should we trust his judgement? We all have our opinions, but none of us is a GM, none of us is a scout. I think with good reason we all questioned previous GM's decisions.

I personally trust Mac for now, he has done nothing to lose my trust, and so far he seems to be a solid professional, and seems to be able to evaluate talent. Has he been perfect, no, but nobody is, even the best GM's make mistakes. But I do think we as a fan base should trust him, and hope we have a solid GM for once.

Go Mac Daddy!

We don't have a choice BUT to trust Mac, he is the GM of the Jets and if we are loyal fans you have to hope he knows what he is doing will be for the betterment of the team. Believe me, he knows more about all the players in this draft than any of us possibly could. It is his full time job.

Hard to judge him off of last years draft. 

Williams was a no brainer that fell into his lap.  

Smith while the early returns are questionable, the jury is still out.  I personally would have prefer DGB there.  And now with hindsight and what I expect in the future, we probably missed here and passed on some guys that could have really helped this team. (Smith, Goldman, DGB, Kendricks, Collins, Kikaha, Perryman, Darby, Phillips). 

Maudlin looks like a nice player.  

The rest of the draft more than likely never sniffs the field. 

So, yeah, we dont have much of a choice.  He really needs to hit a homerun in this one because this team is old and getting older and there are a sh*t ton of inhouse decision to be made. 

Macc's scouts didn't even draft for us last year.  They were holdovers from the previous regime.  This is his first real draft.

Macc did make some nice trades and signings. (Fitz and Brandon Marshall) but we don't have too much else to go on.   He sounds like a competent guy but the draft can be a crap shoot anyway (even if he is competent).  

And like someone else said, he's our GM so it's not like we have a choice.   

The Jets certainly have to do a few things they have not done for a while in drafts.  Hit with about the 1st three rounds all with good players that will be starters, get at least one lower round guy that turns into a great player.  Can he do it?  Ell if I know.

20 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Macc's scouts didn't even draft for us last year.  They were holdovers from the previous regime.  This is his first real draft.

Macc did make some nice trades and signings. (Fitz and Brandon Marshall) but we don't have too much else to go on.   He sounds like a competent guy but the draft can be a crap shoot anyway (even if he is competent).  

And like someone else said, he's our GM so it's not like we have a choice.   

Baloney! He had his own scouts the entire year back in Houston. 

1 minute ago, j4jets said:

Baloney! He had his own scouts the entire year back in Houston. 

Maybe I'm wrong then but from the article below it sounds like he kept the previous regime of scouts for the draft and then fired them a couple of days later (apparently this is customary in the NFL).

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/mike-maccagnan-fires-jets-pro-personnel-director-5-scouts-article-1.2209545

It is not unusual for a new general manager to keep much of the previous administration’s scouting department until after the draft, though this is the second round of firings for Maccagnan. Early on, he fired senior director of college scouting Terry Bradway and director of college scouting Jeff Bauer. All of the personnel fired on Monday, with the exception of Hufnagel, were hired by John Idzik.

Just b/c Mac was the Jets GM, doesn't mean the fans have to trust him. They can't CHANGE the fact that he is the GM, but they don;t have to like him or agree with him. 

RE: his one and only draft, fact is, whether Mac had his own scouts or not, he had final call on who to take. 

L.Williams: You could argue that yes, it was a no-brainer. But it was still a gutsy call to pull the trigger, b/c the Jets had one of the best D-lines in the NFL at the time and much bigger needs. This was before Snacks left in FA, before Wilk had one foot out the door, before Richardson got suspended. 

D.Smith: So far, he has not looked great. But the injury and Fitz not being able to play to his strength (the deep ball) really hurt Smith. He simply never got on track with Fitz. The jury is still out.

L.Mauldin: Jury is still out but so far he has looked good. No complaints here, and he looks like a more complete linebacker than I though he would be. 

B.Petty: Jury is still out. But I think this was a great pick in the 4th. The Jets are simply being careful with this kid and want to make sure they bring him up slowly. I actually think they are overstating how 'not ready' he is. I think he wants to come out and play and if given the chance could do well.

Harrison: Another developmental prospect. I think he is very much in the Jets future plans. He will not only see the field but probably get a chance to break into the starting lineup at OG. Especially if Winters struggles in camp or gets injured.

D.Simon: A 7th round pick and all I've heard is that the Jets love this kid. A pure NT with a ton of strength and a ton to learn. My belief is that he too will not only see the field but get a shot to fill in at NT for McLendon if he impresses in camp and McLendon gets injured. 

So yeah, I trust Mac. And I believe he had a pretty good draft so far. Time will tell how far some of the developmental prospects will go and if D.Smith can have a bounce back season. But so far, it looks like L.Williams and L.Mauldin are primed to make an impact in the 2016-17 season.  

Trust does not mean we cannot hold opinions, even critical opinions, on specific moves or decisions.

I trust Macc thus far, but if he drafts Lynch, I'll be critical of it.

Others here trust Macc too, but if he pays Fitz 12 mil. a year to play in 2016/2017, they'll be critical of it too.

etc.

52 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

We need to trust him until he gives us a reason not to trust him.  Big draft for him and the Jets. 

I trust his as well but he has given me a least one reason not to trust him.  I do not like the way he handled the whole Mo situation re not having the cap available for the first few days of FA.  I think that everything else he's been tasked with he's done well.  

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Trust does not mean we cannot hold opinions, even critical opinions, on specific moves or decisions.

I trust Macc thus far, but if he drafts Lynch, I'll be critical of it.

Others here trust Macc too, but if he pays Fitz 12 mil. a year to play in 2016/2017, they'll be critical of it too.

etc.

Totally fair, and to your point, if he pays Fitz $12M/year for 2 years I'll be plenty critical of it (and I'll have plenty of company as well). This is a dream offense to put a young QB into for him to learn the ropes, not waste on going nowhere with Fitzpatrick. It'll only be made worse after we see the team go nowhere with him by the first half of this upcoming season, showing the folly of bringing him back in the first place, and knowing we still have him for another year & a half at starter money.

Bring him back at $7M for a year or two, I'm on board. Bring him back at $12M for 2 years, I'm not. If it's $12M for just one year, I'm on the fence (leaning against the move, but it's not nearly as tragic as a 2 year commitment). 

JMO.

Mac and company are doing a great job at sealing up the leaks. 

Matt Miller did a team by team report a couple days ago, it was really good, with sources inside almost every NFL team. Almost. 

New York Jets: The Jets are a true "best player available" team now, so don't expect a reach for a quarterback at No. 20 if they don't have that player atop the board. The Jets were an anonymous-source dream under the last regime, but good luck getting anyone in that building to talk now. Since general manager Mike Maccagnan put together a mix of young and veteran scouts to assist in his rebuilding efforts, led by his top lieutenant Brian Heimerdinger, they have locked down the rebuilding effort. All is quiet coming in Florham Park. 

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2634911-scouting-notebook-matt-millers-final-team-by-team-reports-jared-goff-qa

Smith will never turn into a good player. I saw everyone of his games in college, he's a one trick pony.

At best he turns into a 30 reception, hit the big one here and there player. Just like he was his entire college career, up until his last 5 games.

I was shocked an experienced scout like Mac fell for it last year, seemed like more of a Tanny type of move.

But I still have full trust in Mac.

2 hours ago, ChuckkieB said:

We need to trust him until he gives us a reason not to trust him.  Big draft for him and the Jets. 

Very true. He didn't make an egregious blunder in his first year. His trades were great, his first draft was pretty solid. He does need to continue to execute.

3 hours ago, BowlesMovement said:

Slightly different approach to should we do this, or should we do that..... I am looking at this as, should we trust Mac? Has he done enough to earn our trust, or not? At the end of the day, if he loves Lynch, and trades the farm for him, or if he takes Cook, or Hackenberg, or none of these guys, should we trust his judgement? We all have our opinions, but none of us is a GM, none of us is a scout. I think with good reason we all questioned previous GM's decisions.

I personally trust Mac for now, he has done nothing to lose my trust, and so far he seems to be a solid professional, and seems to be able to evaluate talent. Has he been perfect, no, but nobody is, even the best GM's make mistakes. But I do think we as a fan base should trust him, and hope we have a solid GM for once.

Go Mac Daddy!

I can see no reason why not, can you? As far as I am concerned he shot aces in FA and in the draft last offseason. Spending a lot of money on making this team competitive was long overdue for this team. I thought he spent the money wisely also. In regards to earning everyone's trust.... All I can tell you is, he hasn't done anything thus far  to violate you trust now has he? And last but not least, if you can't wrap your arms around the logical statements I just made to you? It doesn't matter anyway. Because Mac probably doesn't give a flying f*ck what a few fans think. He cares if what he's doing for the team is the right thing in his mind.

The jury is still out on his first draft: 

• Let's see how Beasley develops.  If he becomes the EDGE we could have used, and Leo does not dominate, that was a miss
  • I can see Devin Smith not even playing this year.  I see that pick going down as a miss/reach
  • Mauldin should go down as a great value at 3, particularly is he starts at that spot.
  • Petty is Petty-worth the shot.  They need to keep taking shots until they have 3 functional QBs.
  • If Harrison can play, that helps the grade out alot.

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

This is a dream offense to put a young QB into for him to learn the ropes,

I fundamentally disagree with the concept of unprepared rookie QB prospects "learning the ropes" by being put in no-competition spots, handed starting jobs, and allowed to fail for years on end as some form of "learning".  It's proven here it does not work, and it only works elsewhere if the prospect acquired is truly elite to start with.

How man Sanchez's and Smiths have to fail before we wise up?  You can throw a Petty, or a Lynch, into the job 1,000 times, and he'll fail there 999 times.  

Sit, learn, under a good, solid leader/veteran for a few seasons, that's the way the Jets must go.  Compete now, compete later.  Not sacrifice now, draft again later.

So far I feel that yes, he has earned trust.  He seems to have a plan for the team and seems to have a professional approach to the position. I can't say I'm incredibly impressed with the situation with Mo's contract but I'm not privy to all the details so it may be a case where there is a plan in place that is unfolding that we can't see. I'd rather hope that plan is there than assume we're in for another garbage GM.

The big issues on the table that will determine whether he continues to earn that trust are:

1. Wilkerson's contract issues

2. The plan for QB

3. The overall drafting

Obviously. 

I do not hold him to the standard of having to build a super bowl team in year two but to see smart decisions made that build long term success. 

25 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I fundamentally disagree with the concept of unprepared rookie QB prospects "learning the ropes" by being put in no-competition spots, handed starting jobs, and allowed to fail for years on end as some form of "learning".  It's proven here it does not work, and it only works elsewhere if the prospect acquired is truly elite to start with.

How man Sanchez's and Smiths have to fail before we wise up?  You can throw a Petty, or a Lynch, into the job 1,000 times, and he'll fail there 999 times.  

Sit, learn, under a good, solid leader/veteran for a few seasons, that's the way the Jets must go.  Compete now, compete later.  Not sacrifice now, draft again later.

I didn't say - or even suggest - we hand them the starting job despite showing they're clearly unready. I mean if they look decent enough to warrant putting them on the field I give them some brownie points over a full-on competition against someone with years of experience. (The idea being, he may be a little worse today, but he'll be even - and then better - before long, once he gains some on-field experience).

I also just don't agree that a sample size of 2 out of 2 means something doesn't work. Particularly when the sample is comprised of Sanchez and Geno, two stupid QBs (not necessarily IQ stupid, but football stupid, and frankly so is Fitzpatrick, who is merely more experienced).

There are also plenty of QBs who are put in right away who don't bust. I think it's more how good the prospect is than some golden rule of 'thou shalt not start a rookie qb' that must be adhered to. Because the other side to that coin is we just sit someone for longer than necessary, and in doing so a GM under pressure drafts someone else.

Unless they get totally shellshocked like David Carr, which isn't a frequent occurrence anyway, this whole idea of them getting ruined is overblown beyond belief, not to mention wholly unprovable. The reality is this is a great situation for a young QB, and such an opportunity like this rarely presents itself. 

Personally I'd like to waste the first month & a half on someone else - I don't care if it's Geno or Hoyer or whoever - and then go with Petty or a rookie. If neither looks like they've got a clue this summer, then make a trade for some veteran (e.g. Glennon) who will last the season, or sign Fitzpatrick who no one is in any rush to sign.

Archived