Passing on Lynch

BowlesMovement

1 hour ago, PepPep said:

HA! Not true at all. I guarantee you Bowles can't wait to see how he can utilize Lee. I don't care what he said last night at the draft. He is an old school coach and Lee will have to EARN playing time. He DOES need to wrap up better and add strength. That doesn't mean he will be a 'backup for a year or two'. Just watch, Lee has good field awareness and there's no reason to think he will struggle in our defense. Not with OUR D-line. Bowles will use him THIS season plenty. And Lee will make an impact. You will probably see him mostly on passing downs, either falling back into coverage or coming in on a blitz. But I GUARANTEE YOU he will be used early and often this season. Especially with th elack of speed the Jets have at the LB position. Pryor and Lee will be absolute terrors for opposing offenses on that side of the field.     

Exactly. Nothing like Rex coming out and making every first rounder a starter from the moment they were drafted.

43 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

Elway drafted Osweiler.  And then let him go.  I'm not saying Elway doesn't have a better eye for the position than most, but he's by no means fail proof just for the fact he was a QB.  Hell, Ron Jaworski is a former QB and supposed "draft analyst" and he raved up and down Kellen Clemens was the best QB of his draft.  Our scouting staff clearly did not feel Lynch was a franchise caliber QB.  Neither did CLE or BUF, who both are starved for a QB as well, nor NO who is going to need one in just a couple years (in a perfect spot to let him sit and be groomed).    We'll know in a few years, and it will hurt if he becomes a top 15 QB and we're still searching. 

Weird, I quoted @JOJOTOWNSELL but somehow BowlesMovement came up??

he did not "let him go" he wanted him back and offered him a contract but he was given BIG MONEY

Just now, kmnj said:

he did not "let him go" he wanted him back and offered him a contract but he was given BIG MONEY

And if he was a "franchise QB" you pay him that money without blinking.  Elway let him go because he didn't think he was franchise worthy.

39 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Osweiller was no big deal in college. But Lynch is a similar player in terms of size, etc. The contract he got was crazy, like he won the lottery considering his lack of experience or accomplishment. I have nothing against Lynch but glad we passed on him. I'll take Lee over him.

lynch took over a GARBAGE program and made them winners-he is the real deal and you cant coach size, big hands and the ability to run

jet fans will HATE watching lynch play for denver

1 minute ago, kmnj said:

lynch took over a GARBAGE program and made them winners-he is the real deal and you cant coach size, big hands and the ability to run

I have no problem if he is great. I have nothing against him. But right now I'm rooting for Lee over Lynch or any of those other guys. Unlike you I can't predict the future. 

2 minutes ago, kmnj said:

Yes, those are certainly the positives. Lynch also had terrible receivers and not the best O-line. I don;t think many can argue that Lynch has great upside, is a winner and put up great numbers at Memphis. I also don't think many will argue that he is a project and will need to learn and re-learn a lot of things before he can play a single snap in the NFL. I think the bottom line is that Mac looked very closely at Lynch and in the end decide to pass. We won't know if that was a mistake until Lynch proves it was a mistake. So all this talk is really for naught.   

Lets see what the plan is for QB going forward because we are not going with just Geno and Petty. does Mac like one of the other QB in another rouns d or is Fitz going to come to terms or something out of the blue happens

1 minute ago, faba said:

Lets see what the plan is for QB going forward because we are not going with just Geno and Petty. does Mac like one of the other QB in another rouns d or is Fitz going to come to terms or something out of the blue happens

There's still a lot that can happen. 

A trade AFTER the draft.

FItz is resigned.

Jets draft a QB in Rd. 2, 3, whatever. 

Jets decide to sign a vet who is cut sometime after the draft to compete with Geno and Petty (unlikely)

Geno is proclaimed the starter on day one. 

1 hour ago, JOJOTOWNSELL said:

I was fine with passing on him.....but not gonna lie, it stung a bit more knowing that elway was cool with trading up for him.....legitimizes Lynch a bit more

I've seen this a few times. 

When did Elway become the QB whisperer? Because he brought in  Manning? Because the Texans gave $18 million a year to a former 2nd round pick Osweiler, despite so far showing that he's nothing more than a fringe starter in this league? Who has Elway hit on? I don't get it

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

We simply don't know if that's true...We don't know the way these guys think yet.  How do they value QB? They may be Rex like and think they can win with sub-par QB play and a strong defense.  They certainly seem to be satisfied with Fitzpatrick - and that's a worry for me. 

Macc has said that a top QB is an essential piece of a winning team.  He knows but obviously doesn't like Lynch.  I read or heard that the Jets thought he had issues, was not immature and not too smart.

19 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

I've seen this a few times. 

When did Elway become the QB whisperer? Because he brought in  Manning? Because the Texans gave $18 million a year to a former 2nd round pick Osweiler, despite so far showing that he's nothing more than a fringe starter in this league? Who has Elway hit on? I don't get it

he was the gm of the superbowl winning team-that is why elway's name is brought up-he did something in a few short years that the jets failed to do-also in addition to having a gm ring on his hand, he knows the qb position so if superbowl winning gm and a hall of fame qb trades up for a guy , people will say yes this is a guy that maybe might be "it"

Unless the Jets believe that Petty is ready to start in 2016 and beyond, they are going to have to trade for a QB, resign Fitz, or some other veteran, or draft a QB this year that they feel can have a legit impact on the team by next year. Can they really believe in Petty? 

23 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I'm not sure I trust anything, but I am sure holding out on hope that they have a plan for quarterback over the next couple years. Because dealing with yet another FO turnover is kinda horrible to fathom.

Sup

image.jpeg

8nntd.gif

"Everyone said that if Marino was around we would select him. Obviously the Jets knows something that, y'know, the people up here don't."

Well, hopefully Lynch sucks or the QB we do draft is better. Because I just keep hearing/picturing this in my head. Along with the other voices, that is.

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

We simply don't know if that's true...We don't know the way these guys think yet.  How do they value QB? They may be Rex like and think they can win with sub-par QB play and a strong defense.  They certainly seem to be satisfied with Fitzpatrick - and that's a worry for me. 

Reports have come out that the team value Lynch as a mid rounder, in other words, a developmental QB. From a QB standpoint Lynch is developmental. He holds the ball too long, doesn't anticipate and has problems under pressure. Most of his positive qualities come more from his physical traits than anything else. So they passed on him essentially because they don't think his actual QB ability was worth the pick.

I have no problem passing on Lynch.  He's not going to help out this season (I predict some bad offensive games, even with Denver's weapons) and next year is better suited for a QB.  Yeah, it's a risk to pass on a guy with high potential, but it's worth it.   To me, Lynch reminds me of a bigger Brett Hundley.  Is there potential to blow up and be a star?  Yes, but it'll take time and too much risk.  

I think it was a mistake passing on him.  He’s got the tools (arm + athleticism) to be a nightmare match up problem for other teams.

He’s a guy who can tip the field (the same thing that was said of Namath in college before the knee injury).

The Lee pick reminds me of the 2014 Calvin Pryor selection.  Most think it was a good pick and I think it was, except he needed a few years to develop.

It’s going to be the same thing with Lee, the Jets have said as much themselves.

If we are developing a guy, why not make it a QB??  As good as the Pryor pick was, Derek Carr was a far better pick in hindsight.

Feeling we will look back similarly with Lynch vs. Lee…  we’ll see how the rest of the draft unfolds.

2 hours ago, BowlesMovement said:

I am not going to lie, I wanted Lynch, and was really hoping they were going to take him there. After thinking about it, its not because I think he is going to be good, its because it would have meant they are thinking he is going to be good, and that would have been exciting. All I can assume is they are not high on him, and if that is the case, better to pass on him and go a safer route. For all we know they might have a deal in the works for Glennon, or they may like Hackenberg better, or even Cook. So while I am disappointed they passed on him, I still trust that they have a plan for the QB position that will be made clear by tomorrow at the latest. Keep in mind, the day a regime makes a high draft pick on a QB is the day the clock starts ticking on them. Its easy for us to say take a chance, but its not our livelihoods that are on the line. You very rarely get the opportunity to pick two QB's high in the draft.

And we did it in 1965 with Namath in the 1st rd 2nd rd was John Huarte the Heisman winner and QB's as well in rd 4 and 7..:)

The Lee pick instead of Lynch will basically be the basis upon which MacC will be evaluated in terms of whether he gets another contract.

He had his own staff and spent time himself evaluating the prospects.

If Lee turns out to be ineffective, and Lynch turns out to be a Franchise QB, MacC and Bowles should be fired.

If Lee turns out to be good and Lynch is also good, he gets a pass if they are able to find someone else to QB effectively.

If Lee is good and Lynch is not, the game continues.

1 minute ago, varjet said:

The Lee pick instead of Lynch will basically be the basis upon which MacC will be evaluated in terms of whether he gets another contract.

If Lee turns out to be ineffective, and Lynch turns out to be a Franchise QB, MacC and Bowles should be fired.

If Lee turns out to be good and Lynch is also good, he gets a pass if they are able to find someone else to QB effectively.

What if they are both bad?

I really wanted Lynch as well and think it was a huge mistake to pass on him (even if he ends up being a bust).  It was similar to the 2008 Flacco draft we had a chance to grab ourselves stability and a part we could have built our offense around for many years to come.  I don't even need to mention who we drafted that year instead as the similarities are eerie.   This game favors the offense the rules are set up in the offensive favor.  It makes no sense to pass on a person with the abilities of Lynch even if he is a project.  This team isn't winning a Super Bowl this year and I doubt they will even make the playoffs which makes passing on someone with as much upside as Lynch even more damning.

I know all the defensive nuts now have the Broncos to hold up as their poster child for "defense wins championships" but would Denver have been able to build the Defense they did without the stability of a franchise QB over the past 4 seasons?  Would they have been able to attract the same free agents?

7 minutes ago, varjet said:

He definitely went for the 'safe' pick here.

I can only assume he has a plan for QB, either Connor Cook, Fitz returning or Glennon...

4 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

We don't know how serious they were....They did a lot of looking around but never came close to doing anything.  They were never closely tied to anyone...That could very well be just noise, PR - BS.  

I'm not saying they think that way, but it is a worry.  It's not like there isn't recent history of this team thinking that way.

You would never know

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

Good post. 

It's hard, we fans want that excitement, that spark of hope that we're acquiring a difference maker at the most vital position on the field, our Manning, our Brady, our next Namath.

Given how weak our QB's have been for the vast majority of our existence, it only further stresses our...deficiency.  So much so that I think it causes us to over-react, and over-value any number of possible "answers".  And when we fail to get those answers, we're dissapointed.  we feel an opportunity may have been missed, and we (often) lament previous (hindsight) missed opportunities.

But we simply have to have faith, no matter how hard, that our Front Office and Coach know best for them, and have a plan.  When we reach the point where we don't trust in that, we should want them replaced.  Till then, faith is the only real option.

If they passed on Lynch, we have to presume they had good reasons, and a plan for the QB position for the future.  

Archived