Tom Brady, NFLPA granted extension for rehearing request

Jetfan13

Tom Brady was just granted a little more time in the pocket for his last Hail Mary in getting his four-game suspension overturned, Adam Kurkjian of the Boston Herald reports.

His new attorney, Ted Olson, was granted his request today for a 14-day extension for the NFLPA to formally file a motion for a rehearing by the Second Circuit Court of Appeals. The deadline for that request is now May 23.

If the motion passes, the NFLPA will have another shot at having Brady's four-game suspension by the NFL for the quarterback's involvement in Deflategate overturned. Brady's only other option would be to take the case to the Supreme Court.

Olson filed the request on Friday and the NFL filed one yesterday for the motion to be denied. However, the court ruled today in favor of Brady and the NFLPA, marking a small win in Olson's first battle in this case.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

This has become nothing more than a waste of resources.

And all to prove that a Crook and a Liar is not what he is .

When it's all said and done, what should happen to This Player is what happened to Barry bonds, but it won't .

1 hour ago, Jetfan13 said:

Tom Brady was just granted a little more time in the pocket for his last Hail Mary in getting his four-game suspension overturned, Adam Kurkjian of the Boston Herald reports.

His new attorney, Ted Olson, was granted his request today for a 14-day extension for the NFLPA to formally file a motion for a rehearing by the Second Circuit Court of Appeals. The deadline for that request is now May 23.

If the motion passes, the NFLPA will have another shot at having Brady's four-game suspension by the NFL for the quarterback's involvement in Deflategate overturned. Brady's only other option would be to take the case to the Supreme Court.

Olson filed the request on Friday and the NFL filed one yesterday for the motion to be denied. However, the court ruled today in favor of Brady and the NFLPA, marking a small win in Olson's first battle in this case.

A grave injustice will have been done if the world can't hear the opinion of the Supreme Court on this crucial matter.

Seriously, and I am speaking to no one in particular here, can we let this ******* topic die already? Who gives a sh*t?  Good Lord, how long can we collectively focus on this. I think he's now had more court time than Aaron Hernandez, who is technically a serial killer by definition if convicted for the charges for which he is currently being tried.

To play Devil's advocate with myself, I guess 4 games is a quarter of a season, and mr Brady ain't getting any younger.  That said, sweet merciful crap, who cares at this point? And someone should be disbarred for even mentioning having the Supreme Court weigh in on this nonsense.

7 minutes ago, Cornfed said:

A grave injustice will have been done if the world can't hear the opinion of the Supreme Court on this crucial matter.

Seriously, and I am speaking to no one in particular here, can we let this ******* topic die already? Who gives a sh*t?  Good Lord, how long can we collectively focus on this. I think he's now had more court time than Aaron Hernandez, who is technically a serial killer by definition if convicted for the charges for which he is currently being tried.

To play Devil's advocate with myself, I guess 4 games is a quarter of a season, and mr Brady ain't getting any younger.  That said, sweet merciful crap, who cares at this point? And someone should be disbarred for even mentioning having the Supreme Court weigh in on this nonsense.

Being you replied I am guessing you care.

33 minutes ago, Jetfan13 said:

Being you replied I am guessing you care.

3 minutes ago, Cornfed said:

Oh, look at you.  You got me there!

To clarify, my rant was not directed at you for posting this message.  Great post, good sir.  Rather, I was trying to express frustration that this is still "a thing" at all.  Suspend him.  Or don't suspend him.  It's obvious they cheated.  I personally think most teams are constantly trying to get an edge and that this whole thing is overblown.  But you know what, after like 2 years, I'll concede anything.  Suspend, don't suspend, fine, whatevs (as the kids say).  I just think it's insane that someone is pondering taking this to the supreme court when anyone casually following the Pats and this situation probably was able to form an opinion in like 30 seconds.  How can this take so long and be so involved?

I can rant on this all day, and say the same thing in 1000 different ways.  That will help no one and, to your astute point, have me contribute to continuing the global conversation about which I'm ranting (in a bit of delicious irony).  As John Goodman's character would say to Lebowski, "**** it, dude.  Let's go bowling."

2 hours ago, Jetfan13 said:

The two sides seem to fighting different battles. For his side Brady is going the 'legal' route and is trying to get the court to determine his actual guilt or innocence by law, whereas the NFL is arguing that the commissioner has the right to suspend players for "the integrity of the game". The NFL suspension is based more on Brady's attitude toward cooperation with the league's investigation and when he smashed his cell phone that made him look very uncooperative hence the suspension. I think at some point Brady is going to serve a four game suspension that I think he deserves whether or not he had anything to do with Deflategate. He snubbed the commish and you don't do that no matter how big a star you are.

38 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

Look, compromise is obviously needed here.  Instead of 4 game suspension, make it 4 games with no Offensive Line and the Roughing the Passer penalty suspended.  Fair, balanced, entertaining for all!

No need for compromise.  This is a very long shot for Brady.    

The Supreme court has requests for about 7,000 cases a year, hears about 50 of them.  This certainly isn't a vital case for the interpretation of a constitutional matter.

Unless BS political union/management issues get involved in the minds of the "justices"   Turn out the lights

Edit:  I know most of what you said was humor

It's pretty obvious he's going to push this as far back as he can. He's got great lawyers and he just hired Olson and you never know he could upend the NFL again. It's just the kind of guy he is. 

Actually he didn't hire Olson, the NFLPA did. You gotta remember that the whole purpose behind this is to overturn the decision which gave total control back to the commissioner as indicated in the new CBA.

Besides, this is only a 14 day delay to allow Olson time to file the new motion. This in no way shows a change in decision or weather or not the appeal has been issued for the entire circuit court of appeal.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Cornfed said:

It is bigger than 4 games because this will forever tarnish Brady's legacy.

11 minutes ago, BaumerJet said:

Actually he didn't hire Olson, the NFLPA did. You gotta remember that the whole purpose behind this is to overturn the decision which gave total control back to the commissioner as indicated in the new CBA.

Besides, this is only a 14 day delay to allow Olson time to file the new motion. This in no way shows a change in decision or weather or not the appeal has been issued for the entire circuit court of appeal.

I'm not an expert but I think the bottom line is to convince the appeals court to accept their plea for a new hearing. A lot of experts think they the court won't go any further with this. And Olson of course is connected and might be able to help them esp if they want to appeal to the Supreme Court. 

I'm not an expert but I think the bottom line is to convince the appeals court to accept their plea for a new hearing. A lot of experts think they the court won't go any further with this. And Olson of course is connected and might be able to help them esp if they want to appeal to the Supreme Court. 

They will never file with the US Supreme Court. Should the court take this case under review, Brady would still have to take the 4 game suspension. The US Supreme Court could only judge the CONSTITUTIONAL ramifications of the current CBA in reference to the final decision authority given to the commissioner. Not DEFLATEGATE, just the legal aspect of power as indicated in the current CBA.

If Brady can drag this out another year, who knows maybe he retires next year and doesn't want to serve the

suspension, retirement is the answer Brady,   - and Cheating Tom - you've got nothing left to prove, you can win when you  cheat, you lose when you don't.  Spygate and Deflategate are your legacy, get used to it.    

3 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

If Brady loses he can always retire rather than face a suspension. Hey Tom, you're such a man of principle. Yeah, right.?

If he retires, only those of us who are paying attention will know that he retired to stave off the suspension. 

I want him to play through the suspension and forever have the suspension for cheating attached to his legacy. It will never be forgotten. 

Look if Brady hadn't fought this so vigorously and the union and Tom hadn't challenged Roger he would have gotten a game or two and his team wouldn't have lost a 1st round pick. They probably would have lost the 4th rounder which is really no big deal. But they wouldn't know how to tell the truth if it hit them right in the face. 

16 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

If he retires, only those of us who are paying attention will know that he retired to stave off the suspension. 

I want him to play through the suspension and forever have the suspension for cheating attached to his legacy. It will never be forgotten. 

It won't be forgotten either way

1 hour ago, flgreen said:

No need for compromise.  This is a very long shot for Brady.    

The Supreme court has requests for about 7,000 cases a year, hears about 50 of them.  This certainly isn't a vital case for the interpretation of a constitutional matter.

Unless BS political union/management issues get involved in the minds of the "justices"   Turn out the lights

Edit:  I know most of what you said was humor

Thank god you added the edit lol!  I was like wtf I thought it was funny!

2 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

Thank god you added the edit lol!  I was like wtf I thought it was funny!

LOL

Actually what happened was I read the first line in your post, and thought BS, NO Compromise!.    Rushed off an made the post.  Then read the rest of your post, and thought "OH crap".

LOL Bad choice on my part.  i thought it was funny to

If Brady can drag this out another year, who knows maybe he retires next year and doesn't want to serve the

suspension, retirement is the answer Brady,   - and Cheating Tom - you've got nothing left to prove, you can win when you  cheat, you lose when you don't.  Spygate and Deflategate are your legacy, get used to it.    

(1) This can not drag out for a decision by the entire US 2nd Court of Appeals and will be resolved by law in August of this year (2016.)

(2) Even by the remote chance he seeks a US Supreme Court decision, he would have to still take the suspension because the only issue would be to see if the power of the Commissioner is in any way Unconstitutional, based on the writing of the current CBA.

I don't care about Brady's legacy. The bottom line is he's a great Qb. That will supersede Deflategate which was an embarrassment to the NFL. Him and his team have brought down the league a few notches with this and other shenanigans over the years. As for Brady the person I don't like the guy but character wise other than lying through his teeth about this and other NEP tricks he's ok. No legal issues etc. 

47 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

It won't be forgotten either way

Not by us, but our kids, and their kids, and NFL fans who were born in the last 5 years; they won't have any indication of the suspension if he retires without serving it. It'll go down as a mere footnote.

However, if he serves it and continues to play, then even 100 years from now, he'll be the only player in Canton to be suspended for literally cheating. It won't be a footnote, it'll be a scar. That, will forever be a part of his legacy, and will unquestionably never be forgotten. 

Archived