jets 2017.. free agents ~ ~ ~

kelly

It was pretty well known the struggles the Jets were going to have in retaining their own this past offseason. With limited cap space, and more than 20 unrestricted free agents, the Jets were forced to let quite a few of their own big-name “UFAs” venture to other teams.Damon Harrison signed with the Giants. Chris Ivory to the Jaguars. Demario Davis to the Browns. The list is quite long.

But who likes to live in the past? Instead, let’s look forward a bit. . . 11 months, to be exact. How many Jets are going to be free agents after next year? Let’s take a look :

Starters whose contracts are set to expire :

Offense: Brian Winters (OG), Geno Smith (QB), Tommy Bohanon (FB), Kellen Davis (TE),

Defense: Muhammad Wilkerson (DE),

Special Teams: Tanner Purdum (LS)

Reserve whose contracts are set to expire:

Offense : Kenbrell Thompkins (WR), Khiry Robinson (RB), Ben Ijalana (OT), Zac Stacy (RB), Adrien Robinson (TE), Jeremy Ross (WR), Zach Sudfeld (TE)

Defense : Dee Milliner (CB), Darryl Morris (CB), Bruce Carter (LB),  Josh Martin (OLB)

Analysis :
Like every year, there are still some big names the Jets are going to have to make some decisions regarding. Wilkerson, who was franchise tagged this offseason, cannot financially be tagged again, so New York will either need to re-sign him, or let him walk for free. Bohanon has been a solid fullback during his time with the Jets, and could be a reasonably-priced re-sign.Winters improved on the offensive line last year, but the Jets may look to upgrade the position next offseason, which could lead to Winters testing the open market.

Outside of that, just some reserves that the team may look to bring back depending on what they do in 2016. Guys like Khiry Robinson, Thompkins and Carter.

Odds are quite good that this is the last season in green for both Milliner and Smith.

Project Cap Space:
$25.861 million

>     http://jetswire.usatoday.com/2016/05/05/geno-smith-muhammad-wilkerson-among-jets-2017-free-agents/

Wilkerson will be signed, thanks the gods. The rest can walk unless they show something in 2016.

Pretty good situation we're in with the cap room and retention of key players. Gotta hope some of the older guys don't drop off too much.

6 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Wilkerson will be signed, thanks the gods. The rest can walk unless they show something in 2016.

Pretty good situation we're in with the cap room and retention of key players. Gotta hope some of the older guys don't drop off too much.

What makes you think this offseason will be the one this front office caves to his demands? 

Also, after the Jets cut Harris, Breno, etc they'll have a ton more money free next season. Clash on the chopping block too if he isn't good this season. 

That's not a lot of cap space considering that the going rate for a league average QB is starting to push $20 million and we may need one of those things next year. It's sad that we are in sh*tty cap shape and aren't even paying a damn QB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

45 minutes ago, The Troll said:

That's not a lot of cap space considering that the going rate for a league average QB is starting to push $20 million and we may need one of those things next year. It's sad that we are in sh*tty cap shape and aren't even paying a damn QB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also doubt Mo's $19m/ 2nd Franchise Tag contract is in there.

2 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Yeah, I really like what Maccagnan's done. He's slowly but surely building up depth behind stars and competent vets, like good teams do, and he isn't afraid to pay quality talent. With no QB to pay the money has to go somewhere, and that somewhere should be high quality talent like a Revis, Forte, and soon enough the youngest one in Wilkerson.

2 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

What makes you think this offseason will be the one this front office caves to his demands? 

It's never been that dramatic. We're supposed to pretend it is as good little fans looking to pass 8 months, sure, but it's just not. We can add all the emotion and drama we want to these things at a safe distance for entertainment purposes, this guy feels slighted and angry at this guy because blah blah blah if you *really* look and listen maaaan, but at some point it's just corny, tired, and nobody actually thinks that way.*

*I reserve the right to still be an ass if Wilkerson is not a Jet past 2016. I'm not actually worried about that, but am obligated to keep the door open on the tiny possibility the imagined soap opera drama is real and he hates them and they hate him and everyone hates each other and anger and other emotions.

This really isn't a big name list. Maybe 1 or 2 critical guys. It is nothing like this year. I say we are setup nicely for the future. All we need is Petty or Hack to show that they are the long term answer. With hopefully Brady gone in 2 years, we can win the division regularly. Future is bright for the Jets 

2 hours ago, SenorGato said:

The idea that the Jets will be dropping $20 million on some nameless average QB is laughable at best. They just got a good season out of Harvard and don't even want to drop $15m a year or 3 years on him.

21 vs 34 I think its an easy decision

3 hours ago, SenorGato said:

Yeah, I really like what Maccagnan's done. He's slowly but surely building up depth behind stars and competent vets, like good teams do, and he isn't afraid to pay quality talent. With no QB to pay the money has to go somewhere, and that somewhere should be high quality talent like a Revis, Forte, and soon enough the youngest one in Wilkerson.

It's never been that dramatic. We're supposed to pretend it is as good little fans looking to pass 8 months, sure, but it's just not. We can add all the emotion and drama we want to these things at a safe distance for entertainment purposes, this guy feels slighted and angry at this guy because blah blah blah if you *really* look and listen maaaan, but at some point it's just corny, tired, and nobody actually thinks that way.*

*I reserve the right to still be an ass if Wilkerson is not a Jet past 2016. I'm not actually worried about that, but am obligated to keep the door open on the tiny possibility the imagined soap opera drama is real and he hates them and they hate him and everyone hates each other and anger and other emotions.

I really don't think its about emotion here...Mo has a number in mind he wants to sign for...the Jets don't want to pay it, and if he hits the open market next year someone will. It happens every year. This is not emotion this is business.....

3 hours ago, carlito1171 said:

I really don't think its about emotion here...Mo has a number in mind he wants to sign for...the Jets don't want to pay it, and if he hits the open market next year someone will. It happens every year. This is not emotion this is business.....

Of course it's not, which is why imagining there is is a complete waste of time. This isn't some unprecedented event. I think the Jets want to keep him, obviously given the sheer amount of opportunity they've had to trade him, and eventually they'll get something done. That it hasn't happened according to imagined deadlines isn't a thing and doesn't mean there's animosity.

3 hours ago, Ghost said:

I remember reading a report saying we're supposed to have more cap space than 25,000,0000. 

Are there vets that are overpaid we can possibly cut? David Harris? 

Yes Harris is gone 6.5 mil no dead cap. 

Breno could save 4mil

Clady 10 mil

Mangold 9mil

Henderson 2.75

2 hours ago, SenorGato said:

Of course it's not, which is why imagining there is is a complete waste of time. This isn't some unprecedented event. I think the Jets want to keep him, obviously given the sheer amount of opportunity they've had to trade him, and eventually they'll get something done. That it hasn't happened according to imagined deadlines isn't a thing and doesn't mean there's animosity.

Jets would love to keep Mo...but it ain't happening unless Mo comes down from his demands and seeks middle ground. If Mac wanted to pay Mo what he's asking he'd have inked a long-term deal already...

2 hours ago, carlito1171 said:

Jets would love to keep Mo...but it ain't happening unless Mo comes down from his demands and seeks middle ground. If Mac wanted to pay Mo what he's asking he'd have inked a long-term deal already...

If the Jets were actually turned off by Wilkerson's demands they would have given him away a long time ago. They'd take whatever sh*tty pick someone offered or - more likely - never slap him with the tag in the first place. You have no idea idea what his demands actually are, just as nobody here has any idea if Wilkerson and the Jets actually have animosity between them (probably not since that would be way more heavily reported) or actually had an arbitrary deadilne or three that passed. It's all in a handful of imaginations. What some of you just don't want to register is that the offseason is 7+ months for the Jets this year and the deadline to have anything done with a tagged player is sometime in June or July. There's never been any obligation this offseason to work on the non-specific deadline/s of the fans.

10 hours ago, Fibonacci said:

@Maxman

if this isn't trolling, what is? What does this low life bring to the board that you keep him? It really is a shame sir. 

The jets haven't won the division in 800 years. There are like 40,000 examples of posts by TX to be outraged over. This isn't one of them.

Archived