Jets cant seem to seal deal when best players are due big pay days.

joewilly12

There was a window when Tannenbaum had a lot of power and the goal was for the Jets to win a championship.  So they locked down Mangold and Brick (and Sanchez) to large contracts that today look too rich-they basically borrowed from today so the Jets could drive for a Super Bowl later.

The second Revis contract was another exception-Without a QB, the Jets needed a face of the franchise, and someone to set the tone.  But on the other hand, Myers does point out instances where the Jets should have locked down the home grown players to long term contracts.

Given out the competitive environment and salary cap works, a team is going to write sign big contracts-they can be for your own players, or FAs.  If a team is scouting well-for the draft, and your own and other players after the draft, a team should be able to figure out, on average, who are the players that they want to extend before they get too expensive, and in the long run save money.   Because of management transition and confusion, the opportunity to do that with Mo was lost.  

I still think the call with Mo is to either sign him long term and perhaps trade Sheldon, or let him sign somewhere else and free the cap space.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, PatsFanTX said:

Why do the Jets wait so long to deal with their best young players when they are still on their rookie contract?

Because it was a different GM until last year. I have faith that Maccagnan knows what he is doing, but this is still very frustrating. Especially if the Jets go into the season with Mo on his tender offer and Fitz unsigned. I really have to put the blame on the greed of the players. Why hasn't Mo signed the one year tender yet? Does he think he is worth MORE than 15.8 M? No one else in the league seems to think he is and Fitzpatrick is out of his freakin mind if he thinks he is getting 14 M. Myers obviously doen't know how cash strapped the Jets are or he wouldn't write assinine columns like that.

Because it was a different GM until last year. I have faith that Maccagnan knows what he is doing, but this is still very frustrating. Especially if the Jets go into the season with Mo on his tender offer and Fitz unsigned. I really have to put the blame on the greed of the players. Why hasn't Mo signed the one year tender yet? Does he think he is worth MORE than 15.8 M? No one else in the league seems to think he is and Fitzpatrick is out of his freakin mind if he thinks he is getting 14 M. Myers obviously doen't know how cash strapped the Jets are or he wouldn't write assinine columns like that.

Mo doesn't care about $15.8MM for one year, he's looking for a long term contract that pays big guaranteed bucks.

Nothing any other player in his position would do.

Jets should have had this wrapped up a year and a half ago if they thought Mo was the guy.

4 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Mo doesn't care about $15.8MM for one year, he's looking for a long term contract that pays big guaranteed bucks.

Jets should have had this wrapped up a year and a half ago if they thought Mo was the guy.

You mean wouldn't do? :blink:

58 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

If he signs, he has to take part in all offseason activities or get fined.

57 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

It's totally ridiculous that Mo isn't signed long term. If they worked out the right long term deal it wouldnt start weighing heavy on the cap for three years or so. Even hiding behind the Richardson situation doesnt make sense. There are other areas on the team that could be trimmed next year to make room for a new Richardson's deal. Even though Richardson is a better player, the Jets should be the one they try to get at a discount and play hard ball with him. I would think it would be easier considering his off field issues. Its almost as if Jets fans and the front office forget what it's like to have a defense where no one player can obtain 12 sacks in a year.

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

it's absolutely true. The draft is such a crapshoot. When you find a difference maker, pay and keep him. 

Those are the guys who generate points or sack the QB....and occasionally the Safety. Revis has had a really good career and had an ungodly 09, but he's never been a guy who's created turnovers. And someone like Deion gave a lot as a returner, which Revis has never done.

23 minutes ago, RSJ said:

It's totally ridiculous that Mo isn't signed long term. If they worked out the right long term deal it wouldnt start weighing heavy on the cap for three years or so. Even hiding behind the Richardson situation doesnt make sense. There are other areas on the team that could be trimmed next year to make room for a new Richardson's deal. Even though Richardson is a better player, the Jets should be the one they try to get at a discount and play hard ball with him. I would think it would be easier considering his off field issues. Its almost as if Jets fans and the front office forget what it's like to have a defense where no one player can obtain 12 sacks in a year.

Actually, I can see a scenario whereby either Wilkerson or Richardson  gets the long term deal and the other is gone from the team .  The problem is, if you gave Wilkerson that long term deal today or last yr, that scenario  doesn't exist .  The Jets recently picked up the option on Richardson's 5th year meaning that he is signed to the team for next yr at that figure whatever it is.  Wilkerson and Richardson both have 2016 to determined who stays and who goes bases on their play on the field .  Late in this coming year, the Jets will either offer a long term deal to Wilkerson or Richardson . The other will get us either a draft pick or a comp pick .

8 hours ago, PatsFanTX said:

For $15.8MM for one year with the distinct possibility he walks away for nothing.

Mo is yet another example of a very good player they drafted and can't sign to a long term contract.

Why do the Jets wait so long to deal with their best young players when they are still on their rookie contract?

Mo should have been signed long-term prior to the start of last season. What were the Jets waiting for? To see if he is the real deal?

too much talent on the defensive line.....no need to pay that kind of money to wilkerson imo. 

2 hours ago, Tinstar said:

Actually, I can see a scenario whereby either Wilkerson or Richardson  gets the long term deal and the other is gone from the team .  The problem is, if you gave Wilkerson that long term deal today or last yr, that scenario  doesn't exist .  The Jets recently picked up the option on Richardson's 5th year meaning that he is signed to the team for next yr at that figure whatever it is.  Wilkerson and Richardson both have 2016 to determined who stays and who goes bases on their play on the field .  Late in this coming year, the Jets will either offer a long term deal to Wilkerson or Richardson . The other will get us either a draft pick or a comp pick .

If Wilkerson(  a decent guy and very good player as is Richardson, though Richardson seems like very stupid guy off the field)  was worth the contract he is looking for, another team would've already traded for him . Let's face it; the jets have a lot of money tied up in the DL and yet they don't have one guy in the unit that keeps OCs up the night before they play the Jets. The Texans game was instructive; we do not have a JJ Watt, and paying either of these guys at that rate without that ability would be a huge mistake.And no other team is gonna jump up to pay either of them Watt-type money (except perhaps the Redskins, a team run by idiots). 

12 minutes ago, Bugg said:

If Wilkerson(  a decent guy and very good player as is Richardson, though Richardson seems like very stupid guy off the field)  was worth the contract he is looking for, another team would've already traded for him . Let's face it; the jets have a lot of money tied up in the DL and yet they don't have one guy in the unit that keeps OCs up the night before they play the Jets. The Texans game was instructive; we do not have a JJ Watt, and paying either of these guys at that rate without that ability would be a huge mistake.And no other team is gonna jump up to pay either of them Watt-type money (except perhaps the Redskins, a team run by idiots). 

Someone paid 17 mil per for Jackson who's not the player Wilkerson is.  The problem is not paying the player, but playing the player and parting with a high draft pick . Wilkerson will get paid provided he doesn't get seriously hurt, but it may not be by the Jets. I think this coming season will decide who gets the contract between these 2 players .

Apparently,  in the off season beat writers and some jets fan forget that free agency applies to all teams.  

Sure we've lost a couple of big time players but so have all teams. That's what free agency is. 

If we ever lose a franchise QB to free agency I'll complain but letting a high priced wr, cb or even DL (when we are stacked on defense) is par for the course. 

2 hours ago, SenorGato said:

They'll be down to one of those guys by January 2018. Too many lame excuses to not pay him.

bullsh*t.....you don't pay a d-lineman 100 million dollars (unless he's jj watt) when you don't even have a qb and there are 2 other high level d-linemen still on the team. its stupid.

reality is they should have negotiated with him last year and when they found out he wanted 100 million they should have traded his ass. 

11 hours ago, Bugg said:

Mo is not JJ Watt, no. But if you separate the contract from the player, JJ Watt is worth more than JJ Watt money. The cap continues to increase, and the contract Watt signed two or so years ago is no longer indicative of his value. Or, to put it another way, if JJ Watt became a FA tomorrow, what sort of contract would he sign?

As Tinstar mentioned above, Malik Jackson just got signed to a Watt-esque number. He's not Watt, I'd say he's not even Mo, but the price for that sort of player at that position has gone up due to cap inflation.

Another example - Flacco earned a new contract after his SB win that seemed crazy at the time, but now he's only a bit higher on average yearly $$ than the likes of Tannehill, Kaepernick and Osweiler.

10 minutes ago, no psls said:

Woody should sell to a football owner . Woody doesn't know the difference between a nickel defense and a wooden nickel  ( and Woody probably still has EVERY nickel that he's ever earned ) !!!

What exactly constitutes a football owner

I appreciate the point the article makes about how Idzik's first off season went down.  It seems obvious now that the Jets picked Milliner, having two first rounders after trading Revis, to replace Revis.  I said at the time and to those who pointed out technically that it was the pick obtained from TB that was used to pick Richardson, that the Jets could/should have used the earlier pick to pick Richardson, and there would have been no need to pick Milliner if Revis was still on the team.  Then there was the fact that the Jets did not even try and negotiate a deal with Revis, which was all on Woody.

So a year later the Pats get Revis, who helps them win their only SB win achieved after Spygate, so Woody overreacts to that and overpays Revis to bring him back.

No way you can make sense of that scenario.  It's all about Woody meddling in the strategy and negotiations.

That doesn't mean they should overpay Wilkerson now, of course.  But it does make you wonder what they thought was the right approach when they were not able to reach a deal with him last off season.

21 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Revis has had a really good career and had an ungodly 09, but he's never been a guy who's created turnovers. And someone like Deion gave a lot as a returner, which Revis has never done.

Revis not only created turnovers he created game winning turnovers. But even if what you say is true, there's no way of defending the way the Jets handled the Revis situation. He won the SB with Bellichek two years after being traded. Meanwhile the Jets drafted Dee Milliner. And then gave Revis the money anyway. Total hack job. 

14 hours ago, neckdemon said:

bullsh*t.....you don't pay a d-lineman 100 million dollars (unless he's jj watt) when you don't even have a qb and there are 2 other high level d-linemen still on the team. its stupid.

reality is they should have negotiated with him last year and when they found out he wanted 100 million they should have traded his ass. 

I'm calling bullsh*t on this. Why would you care if it was this year or last if you're already set on not paying? Where do these numbers even come from? Literally the only people that insist Wilkerson's demands are cartoonish are Sheldon Richardson, who does not even kinda sorta represent WIlkerson, and a handful of posters. It's stupid not to pay him based on a fantasy of excess talent, temporary at best, and imagined, arbitrary deadlines. That there's no QB to pay is *all the more reason* to pay up and keep the best player on the team.

The question of Mo...in my opinion isn't that they don't want him....It's that they don't need him.  They are stacked at the position and can spend the money better at a position of need.  It really is that simply, too many people are trying to make more out of it.  

Home grown or not.  

Here's the question I would ask the people that want to break the bank to pay the guy.  If Mo was a free agent would we even consider signing him?

8 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

The question of Mo...in my opinion isn't that they don't want him....It's that they don't need him.  They are stacked at the position and can spend the money better at a position of need.  It really is that simply, too many people are trying to make more out of it.  

Home grown or not.  

Here's the question I would ask the people that want to break the bank to pay the guy.  If Mo was a free agent would we even consider signing him?

Not the same thing, not even close to the same thing, but the answer is of course. He's one of the 3 or so best 300+ pounders in the league, no way you don't consider it if they strongly considered someone like Vernon. They'll need him in ~20 months from now once Richardson bounces, maybe less than that if Richardson is traded before the 2017 draft. The thing about spending at another position is that the talent has to actually be available, signing imaginary FAs is as much as a thing as the temporary/momentary depth of high quality DL talent or meeting imaginary deadlines.

1 minute ago, SenorGato said:

Not the same thing, not even close to the same thing, but the answer is of course. He's one of the 3 or so best 300+ pounders in the league, no way you don't consider it if they strongly considered someone like Vernon. They'll need him in ~20 months from now once Richardson bounces, maybe less than that if Richardson is traded before the 2017 draft. The thing about spending at another position is that the talent has to actually be available, signing imaginary FAs is as much as a thing as the temporary/momentary depth of high quality DL talent or meeting imaginary deadlines.

Why is it not even close to the same thing?  Why does home grown matter?  So fans and the media can say the Jets suck?  In actuality they are professionals and should step in.  

Quality free agents are always available every year.  You can certainly find highly talented players in positions of need.  Mo will be kept as a franchise player this year and we can make a decision on him or richardson.  Richardson won't be traded for the same reason Mo wasn't traded this year.

None of us know Macs plan but I would like to think he has one...and I'm sure he's done his research on who will be a free agent next year when they'll a lot have money to spend.

8 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Why is it not even close to the same thing?

The idiom "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush" has lasted so long for a reason. Quality FAs are always available, sure. True elite ones are rarely available. You're not getting an equivalent.

I agree that Mac has done his research - hence not trading him, not giving him away for sh*t as some hoped to do here, and having plenty of time and 2017+ space to work out something sensible. He's probably also noticed that the Jets tried pulling this nonsense twice already. One directly resulted in the Pats winning a Super Bowl while the other has never been close to replaced a decade later.

Archived