Report: Fitzpatrick Prepared to Accept One-Year Deal From Jets

JetNation

24 minutes ago, Mainejet said:

You're stuck in 1st gear. When you can start to comprehend "betting on yourself" come back to me. It's obvious you do not understand right now.

Lol maine I'm well past 1st.. I'm very aware of the notion of " betting on yourself " but that is not what fitz is doing. He clearly is just trying to milk the best deal he can get from the jets because that is his only option. He knows the jets are not committed to him being the starter after this yr.. Their offer was 24 mil over 3 years.. Fitz counter was 12 mil for one.. Any fool can see 12 mil for 1 is the much better deal than 24 over 3. So that isn't " betting on yourself " that's taking the best deal. That is why he sat on the 24/3 offer for a long time.. He liked the years just not total value..  The jets didn't budge so he threw out a counter offer.. which the jets rejected just like many other counters we didn't hear about.. I still think he will take the 24 over 3..  He is getting desperate.. 

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I think they could be within 2-4 million of making a deal. I don't know if the Jets are firm with the 3-24. It looks like Fitz does not want to be tied into a 3 year contract. If the Jets insist his value is only 8 mil and refuse to sweeten that then offer him a 1-8. Considering the weak job market I think he'd end up taking it..Personally I think the Jets owe him at least 2 mil for starting last season on a 3.25 contract. They should bump it up to compensate him for that. He was hired as a backup and paid that way. 

The Bills paid him $59M for being being mediocre, I do agree he outperformed the $3.25M lasy year, but if the Jets owe him money, how much does he owe the Bills?

7 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

IF this were the case he would have been signed months ago 

If this weren't the case they wouldn't have made him an offer at all. And in June still saying they want him back to be the starter. The team could have said forgetaboutit. It's a question over money and the team wanting control over a player basically as an insurance policy in case their plan to start Hack in either 2017 or 2018 falls through. 

9 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

The Bills paid him $59M for being being mediocre, I do agree he outperformed the $3.25M lasy year, but if the Jets owe him money, how much does he owe the Bills?

I don't know exactly what went down with him in Buff. It obviously hurt his career and he ended up signing with teams as a journeyman and being paid lower backup wages. He paid the price career wise if it was his fault. I never really watched their games and wasn't ever a fan of Fitz until last season. What we're talking about is right now. Not 5 or 10 years ago. He's a player to me who has improved. He actually played well with the Texans. So again if the Jets are going to play hardball with him and not give him one penny over 8 million give it to him on a one year deal. He doesn't want to be tied into a multi year deal as a future backup. He wants the opportunity if he plays well to market himself as a starter. Fitz could end up losing money but he's willing to bet on himself. Hey look I might be totally wrong and he might not sign a 1-8. But right now it looks like he isn't getting more than that. Unless a starting Qb goes down on another team and he is in demand. I mean there have been multiple times over the past few seasons when starting Qbs went down for the year and the team basically fell apart. So this could be Fitz's game plan.

8 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

If this weren't the case they wouldn't have made him an offer at all. And in June still saying they want him back to be the starter. The team could have said forgetaboutit. It's a question over money and the team wanting control over a player basically as an insurance policy in case their plan to start Hack in either 2017 or 2018 falls through. 

Are you his agent?  The Jets dont have the money to waste on Fitzpatrick. 

11 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

He still owes them money.

How's that. He was on a contract so how does he owe them money. Anyways after he signed that Bills deal for the 59 things went south. And on paper he was pretty bad. I mean I think he led the league in turnovers. (you know kind of like Geno Smith bad). The rumor is that Buff wanted to redo his deal he refused so they cut him. Also there was a new HC, Gailey was fired so Marrone (maybe) wanted his own Qb and they drafted EJ Manuel. Anyways you can hate the guy if you want I don't care. But based on 2015 he was a very good Qb and a good leader on our team. His Bills tenure is in the past. Sometimes people improve with time. I guess Geno Smith could improve, too. But he might have to go the  journeyman route the way Fitz did and try to work his way back.  

38 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

He knows the jets are not committed to him being the starter after this yr..

And FITZ does not want to be their starter past 2016 unless they pony up MORE dough than what they are offering right now. He wants a ONE year deal so he can leave the Jets and cash in through FA in 2017. That's called "betting on yourself" and up until this very second I don't think you ever understood. Do you understand now? He figures he'll have more suitors next yea in FA and I tend to believe it.

10 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

How's that. He was on a contract so how does he owe them money. Anyways after he signed that Bills deal for the 59 things went south. And on paper he was pretty bad. I mean I think he led the league in turnovers. (you know kind of like Geno Smith bad). The rumor is that Buff wanted to redo his deal he refused so they cut him. Also there was a new HC, Gailey was fired so Marrone (maybe) wanted his own Qb and they drafted EJ Manuel. Anyways you can hate the guy if you want I don't care. But based on 2015 he was a very good Qb and a good leader on our team. His Bills tenure is in the past. Sometimes people improve with time. I guess Geno Smith could improve, too. But he might have to go the  journeyman route the way Fitz did and try to work his way back.  

Right after he signed his contract, his play dropped considerably. I believe he actually signed it during the season.  I'm not anti Fitz, he gave us a good season last year.  I'm leery that he can repeat, and there is a part of me that would like to see if Geno has progressed.  Other than brief spurts, Geno did not play well in 2013 & 2014 but he should not have been thrown to the wolves that early in his career. I believe Geno is physically gifted and I want to erase all doubt before letting him go.  Gailey's system should suit Geno's ability and this would be the most talent surrounding him.  Just my opinion.  I will support any QB that starts for us.

9 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Wait so Fitzpatrick led the league in turnovers he was also cut by the Bills. 

Isn't Genos mistakes in the past also. 

Please make up your mind. 

13 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Wait so Fitzpatrick led the league in turnovers he was also cut by the Bills. 

Isn't Genos mistakes in the past also. 

Please make up your mind. 

So that means that if Fitz deserves to be cut for mediocrity then so does Geno. But Fitz worked his way back to being a starter and earned a job. 

58 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I don't know exactly what went down with him in Buff. It obviously hurt his career and he ended up signing with teams as a journeyman and being paid lower backup wages. He paid the price career wise if it was his fault. I never really watched their games and wasn't ever a fan of Fitz until last season. What we're talking about is right now. Not 5 or 10 years ago. He's a player to me who has improved. He actually played well with the Texans. So again if the Jets are going to play hardball with him and not give him one penny over 8 million give it to him on a one year deal. He doesn't want to be tied into a multi year deal as a future backup. He wants the opportunity if he plays well to market himself as a starter. Fitz could end up losing money but he's willing to bet on himself. Hey look I might be totally wrong and he might not sign a 1-8. But right now it looks like he isn't getting more than that. Unless a starting Qb goes down on another team and he is in demand. I mean there have been multiple times over the past few seasons when starting Qbs went down for the year and the team basically fell apart. So this could be Fitz's game plan.

No team will guarantee him a multi-year starting role when he failed to hold the job for five other teams.

Even Charlie Whitehurst beat him out as the backup to Jake Locker. 

Backup duty is simply the reality for him no matter where he goes.

Fitz is another Kyle Orton / Jon Kitna, but even Kitna has playoff experience. Should change his name to Kryan Kitzpatrick.

In other more important news:

Ryan Wilson cbssports.com:

If the Jets and Fitzpatrick can't come to terms, it looks like former second-rounder Geno Smith will be Plan B. And safety Calvin Pryor says -- publicly, anyway -- he's perfectly comfortable moving forward with Smith

"I do [believe in Smith]," Pryor told NJ.com last week. "He has to believe that as well. I think he's very confident. Before the [Enemkpali] incident happened last year, I think he was having a great camp. I think he was buying guys in. In this locker room, guys were believing in him. I'm pretty sure everything happens for a reason. "He learned from that moment. And I think he's better. Guys are confident that he can get the job done. He just has to be confident in himself, and I think he is. So far, I'm happy with the results."

The good news is that the Jets' defense should again be one of the best in the league. And the offense has playmakers in Brandon Marshall, Eric Decker, Matt Forte, Jace Amaro. And perhaps most importantly, Fitzpatrick was a replacement-level player before last season; if Smith can be that -- and there's reason to think offensive coordinator Chan Gailey can make it happen -- then maybe the Jets can again battle for a wild-card spot.

3 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

So that means that if Fitz deserves to be cut for mediocrity then so does Geno. But Fitz worked his way back to being a starter and earned a job. 

No, it means he deserves to be dumped because he wants money he doesn't deserve. 

You Fitznatics really struggle with this stuff, don't you?

1 hour ago, Rangers9 said:

I think they could be within 2-4 million of making a deal. I don't know if the Jets are firm with the 3-24. It looks like Fitz does not want to be tied into a 3 year contract. If the Jets insist his value is only 8 mil and refuse to sweeten that then offer him a 1-8. Considering the weak job market I think he'd end up taking it..Personally I think the Jets owe him at least 2 mil for starting last season on a 3.25 contract. They should bump it up to compensate him for that. He was hired as a backup and paid that way. 

31 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Hmmmmm?

1 hour ago, Mainejet said:

You're stuck in 1st gear. When you can start to comprehend "betting on yourself" come back to me. It's obvious you do not understand right now.

Actually thinking that he's betting on himself asking for one year at $12mil pretty much says you don't understand betting on yourself.  Or more to the point what Fitz is trying to do with this counter. 

ESPN's Rich Cimini does not think the Jets are interested in building an option year into free agent Ryan Fitzpatrick's contract.

With Fitzpatrick unwilling to accept backup money after this season and the Jets unwilling to do a one-year deal, one possible compromise is a contract with team options after this season. That structure would give the Jets both the security of knowing they have a starter if they need one after this season and the ability to get out of the deal if Christian Hackenberg or Bryce Petty develop into starter-quality options. It would also allow Fitzpatrick to get the starter money he wants after the first year of the deal. Despite how much sense that arrangement would make, it does not seem likely to happen.

The Jets want Fitz as starter next year not Geno even though he looks good in OTAs which means nothing. But there's a good chance Fitz won't sign and Geno starts. Right now it looks that way. I am not curious to see how Geno does I want to go with our best available Qb. The 2016 season isn't supposed to be a try out season for Geno or whomever. As for saying that Fitz is a bum your opinion not mine or most fans. We saw our best offensive production in years and he had a lot to do with that. 

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

ESPN's Rich Cimini does not think the Jets are interested in building an option year into free agent Ryan Fitzpatrick's contract.

With Fitzpatrick unwilling to accept backup money after this season and the Jets unwilling to do a one-year deal, one possible compromise is a contract with team options after this season. That structure would give the Jets both the security of knowing they have a starter if they need one after this season and the ability to get out of the deal if Christian Hackenberg or Bryce Petty develop into starter-quality options. It would also allow Fitzpatrick to get the starter money he wants after the first year of the deal. Despite how much sense that arrangement would make, it does not seem likely to happen.

This is like the Revis-NEP deal. I think it allows them also to spread the cap hit into 2017 if they decide to cut him. I think it was Gary Myers who first brought this up earlier in the week. 

4 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

The Jets want Fitz as starter next year not Geno even though he looks good in OTAs which means nothing. But there's a good chance Fitz won't sign and Geno starts. Right now it looks that way. I am not curious to see how Geno does I want to go with our best available Qb. The 2016 season isn't supposed to be a try out season for Geno or whomever. As for saying that Fitz is a bum your opinion not mine or most fans. We saw our best offensive production in years and he had a lot to do with that even though we had the easiest schedule in the league. 

Fixed 

Just now, Rangers9 said:

This is like the Revis-NEP deal. I think it allows them also to spread the cap hit into 2017 if they decide to cut him. I think it was Gary Myers who first brought this up earlier in the week. 

Any proof or a link Meyers reported this other than what I posted from Cimini. 

11 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Sorry I'm on an IPhone but I'm pretty sure it was Myers who talked about it a few days ago. And on some thread I mentioned it. Imo it's a fair solution. 

13 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

1 minute ago, Rangers9 said:

Sorry I'm on an IPhone but I'm pretty sure it was Myers who talked about it a few days ago. And on some thread I mentioned it. Imo it's a fair solution. 

It was Myers, I saw that also. This was Myers responding to Cimini about putting in a phony option year to spread the cap hit. Jets are not interested in that either.

Don't be so sure. If they put in phony option year and don't pick up like Pats with Revis, easily works under cap.

9 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

It was Myers, I saw that also. This was Myers responding to Cimini about putting in a phony option year to spread the cap hit. Jets are not interested in that either.

Don't be so sure. If they put in phony option year and don't pick up like Pats with Revis, easily works under cap.

Look if the Jets want him back there should be a solution. Maybe a 2 year deal for under 12 per season with a team option on year 2. Or something like that. Maybe a 2 for 20 @10 per.  With another 2 in incentives. 

So even if the Jets do sign Fitz which doesn't at this time look like it's going to happen they've taken a positive situation and turned it into a potential negative. As usual under this owner a losing kind of prescription when things were looking up. 

18 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Look if the Jets want him back there should be a solution. Maybe a 2 year deal for under 12 per season with a team option on year 2. Or something like that. Maybe a 2 for 20 @10 per.  With another 2 in incentives. 

you are arguing with guys who don't like Fitzpatrick and don't think he is worth 8m a year. these same people are convinced that geno will go from worst to 1st on hopes and prayers. and weapinz, with nothing to back that besides that geno throws a nice ball playing pitch and catch in ota's. your not going to win. after this 3-24 deal was on the table, mac himself said that both sides need to compromise to get the deal done. but somehow, the guys you are arguing with see the deal as a line in the sand. it is not. we both know fitz wont sign the 3-24 deal on the table because it makes no sense to one side. there will be a compromise. I could see maybe a 2 yr. 20m deal, with 8m in the 1st year, up to 12m if he makes the playoffs, and a team option on the 2nd year. basically, a 1 year deal.

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Actually thinking that he's betting on himself asking for one year at $12mil pretty much says you don't understand betting on yourself.  Or more to the point what Fitz is trying to do with this counter. 

SHHHHH Let the adults talk...

1 hour ago, Mainejet said:

And FITZ does not want to be their starter past 2016 unless they pony up MORE dough than what they are offering right now. He wants a ONE year deal so he can leave the Jets and cash in through FA in 2017. That's called "betting on yourself" and up until this very second I don't think you ever understood. Do you understand now? He figures he'll have more suitors next yea in FA and I tend to believe it.

Wrong again.. I see you are more pro-fitz than you are pro -jets ? Betting on yourself would be to take the one yr deal  for 7 -8 million the jets would sign off on today and play for a multi -yr deal next yr. But fitz would rather gamble his chance at by far the perfect opportunity with the jets and holdout for more $$$ than "bet on himself "as  you pathetically claim he is doing.

He is risking the chance that the jets may cut off negotiations and go with geno. Their patience is running thin and he is smart enough to know this.. The players or management may say " ok enough is enough we are now comfortable going with geno" these guys are bonding with him every day while fitz cries over a few mil. what they are saying about geno is encouraging.. Fitz is playing a dangerous who will blink 1st game.. He is doing the opposite of "betting on himself". He can sign for 8 mil one year instead of playing games holding out for a few more million .. That would be betting on yourself to say " I"ll take the 8mil one year deal and be underpaid because I'm betting on myself that next yr I'm going to cash in " he isn't doing that.. It's sad you can't see that because you are so in love with fitz. 

17 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:
17 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Wrong again.. I see you are more pro-fitz than you are pro -jets ? Betting on yourself would be to take the one yr deal  for 7 -8 million the jets would sign off on today and play for a multi -yr deal next yr. But fitz would rather gamble his chance at by far the perfect opportunity with the jets and holdout for more $$$ than "bet on himself "as  you pathetically claim he is doing.

He is risking the chance that the jets may cut off negotiations and go with geno. Their patience is running thin and he is smart enough to know this.. The players or management may say " ok enough is enough we are now comfortable going with geno" these guys are bonding with him every day while fitz cries over a few mil. what they are saying about geno is encouraging.. Fitz is playing a dangerous who will blink 1st game.. He is doing the opposite of "betting on himself". He can sign for 8 mil one year instead of playing games holding out for a few more million .. That would be betting on yourself to say " I"ll take the 8mil one year deal and be underpaid because I'm betting on myself that next yr I'm going to cash in " he isn't doing that.. It's sad you can't see that because you are so in love with fitz. 

besides disagreeing with your entire post, to the bolded. how the **** do you know this? I can answer that for you. you don't. stop spewing your nonsense as fact

3 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

The QB is the most important position on the team, sure. But like in chess the most important piece on the board could be nothing less than a victim of circumstance if the rest of the pieces have no clue what to do on the board. The QB only places for one half of the team, and Geno specifically was a rookie an 2nd year player with not a coach that any Jets fan respects in regards to their offensive knowledge...and Rex was straight incompetent on that side of the ball and he'll flat out tell you he is. 

So how much blame does Geno get here? It gets to a point where those general rules are just ridiculous given the specific circumstance. Im not saying that Geno is great, I still think that Glennon is better and Glennon has never won 8 games and his circumstance in many ways were just as impactful. At the end of the day no one can sit here with a straight face and say "Geno's 2013/14 environment was conducive for a young QB. If that was the truth then everyone would have kept their jobs. 

By my response was more directed to Ranger9 and his favoritism of Fitz while at the same time blatantly ignoring questions asked to him.

Next time you want to direct your response to Ranger9 just quote him instead of me & I won't think it's directed towards me ;)

14 minutes ago, ylekram said:

besides disagreeing with your entire post, to the bolded. how the **** do you know this? I can answer that for you. you don't. stop spewing your nonsense as fact

Lol ok another fitz lover.. It would be  obvious if you actually can comprehend reading through the lines.. Jets want fitz but at the right price. They don't have much cap space this yr if you don't realize.. They were willing to spread 24 over 3. get out your calculator. What is 24 divided by 3? The only thing we do know for sure is the jets refused 12 for one year. For cap reasons and because he isn't worth it. We know fitz is making counter offers now.. Just nowhere near still what jets want to pay him.. I highly doubt fitz proposed he would play 1 yr for 8. If he leaked that to the media like he did for 1 yr for 12 he would be putting the jets in a tough spot not to accept.. I think the players, fans, and media would be all over jets to sign off on it.. 

3 minutes ago, ljr said:

Next time you want to direct your response to Ranger9 just quote him instead of me & I won't think it's directed towards me ;)

Well, my latest response was directed to you....yet you ignored 2 paragraphs just to comment on the very last sentence of my quote. 

But I'll take that into consideration, the next time I respond with a quote to Ranger9, dont quote it expecting not to get some of the conversation that you originally wasnt part of. ;)

Archived