Devin Smith ~ ~ ~

kelly

Tearing his anterior cruciate ligament was bad enough. But what made it infinitely worse for Devin Smith was the timing: toward the end of what had been a trying rookie season, but right when he felt like things were finally starting to click.

Smith, a Jets wide receiver and 2015 second-round draft pick, was hurt while covering a punt in a Week 14 win last season against the Titans. He's still rehabbing, and he told NJ Advance Media at organized team activities last week that there's no timetable for his return. "It was bad timing because I felt myself coming along and getting better," Smith said. "I was really looking forward to the rest of the season. I was really trying to maximize my talent. It was unfortunate that it happened."

The missed time at training camp proved to be especially costly for Smith. The Jets' offense demands versatility from its wideouts, and Smith was left with a lot of catching up to do. As late as October, in fact, offensive coordinator Chan Gailey said Smith was only getting to the point he might have otherwise been at by the end of training camp, had he been able to participate.But Smith was frequently able to get open—his speed sometimes allowed him to stretch the field too much for quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick, whose arm strength is indeed a liability. And just two weeks before the knee injury, Smith caught his first touchdown pass.

Then, just like that, it was over.

"I knew I was gonna have my ups and downs," Smith said. "It didn't catch me by surprise, and I knew that I just had to fight through it. I've fought through so much stuff—not just with football, with my life."

Smith has been at OTAs, but he's been working exclusively in the rehab area off to the side. Still less than six months removed from the ACL tear, he said he's just sticking to the protocol the training staff has given him, and that there's no telling when he might be ready to practice again in full. It's likely—though not absolutely certain—Smith will begin the season on the physically unable to perform list.

In the meantime, Smith will be working toward getting back what he's missed."After I had surgery, I was just sitting back and just thinking about me not being here and actually not practicing and all that," he said. "It made me miss the game a lot. I did a lot of thinking in the offseason, and I was able to start doing more stuff. It just made me go harder and make sure I'm ready."

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/06/jets_devin_smith_still_no_timetable_on_return_from.html#incart_river_index

This isn’t exactly how Devin Smith envisioned the start to his NFL career.

After having surgery in December to repair a ruptured ACL that cost him the majority of the 2015 season, Smith isn’t close to returning to the field. In fact, according to NJAM, it’s “likely” Smith starts the year on the physically unable to perform list.

If that were to happen, Smith would be sidelined Weeks 1-6.

Selected by the Jets in the second round of last year’s draft, Smith arrived in Florham Park with high expectations. Coming off a stellar four-year career at Ohio State where he established himself as one of the nation’s best deep threats (averaged 28.2 yards per catch as a senior), Smith had Jets fans dreaming of what he could bring to the team’s offense.And during the offseason of his rookie year, there were visual glimpses. Near every practice, the wideout made some play that had all reporters in attendance ooh-ing and ahh-ing.

“He’s fast, all the things that you’ve seen on film in college,”Jets coach Todd Bowles said during Jets rookie camp last year. “He’s fast, and we know that. It’s about understanding the offense right now and they’re not going to get it in two days.“He’s a tough kid. He’s smart. He’s a hard worker. That’s what I like about him and we’ll see going forward what he does.”

Unfortunately for Smith, the early signs of promise came to an abrupt halt.

Early in training camp, Smith got deep behind cornerback Marcus Williams during a team drill and quarterback Geno Smith threw it up. Geno Smith’s pass was behind Smith, which forced the wideout to cut his route short, and jump back to the ball.Smith went up, collided with Williams in the air and pulled the ball into his body before coming crashing to the ground. The play was one of the best in all Jets practices last summer. . . And it was also the last Smith made.

Upon crashing to the ground, Smith fractured his ribs and punctured his lung. He missed the remainder of camp, and didn’t return to the Jets lineup again until Week 3 against the Philadelphia Eagles.While Smith was technically “on the field,” he wasn’t much help to New York’s offense. It was very clear the time missed had the receiver behind the eight ball. Then, just as he started to get comfortable again, another setback.

Against the Tennessee Titans Week 14, Smith ruptured his ACL. He’s been sidelined ever since.“It was bad timing because I felt myself coming along and getting better,” Smith told NJAM. “I was really looking forward to the rest of the season. I was really trying to maximize my talent. It was unfortunate that it happened.”

Now, Smith’s playing the waiting game.With Smith sidelined, and his return date a giant “TBD,” Kenbrell Thompkins has been stepping up in his place.The Jets will conclude their OTA workouts this Thursday, report for mandatory veteran minicamp next week (June 14-16), then break before coming back to Florham Park for training camp.

>     http://jetswire.usatoday.com/2016/06/07/jets-devin-smith-likely-to-miss-first-6-games-of-2016-on-pup-list/

The timing of his injury is very unfortunate.  If they were willing to redshirt second round pick Amaro his second year, I can see them doing the same thing with Devin Smith.  I just don't see him getting enough quality reps during OTAs/training camp to justify pushing him in 2016.  

2 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

He is a Homerun great deep threat . However fitz will never reach him. This kid could be huge for geno if fitz isn't around

Hackenberg is going to love this kid

He's just about a bust. He was not that impressive last year at all. I didn't see him running over the top much at all, or "stretching defenses" like he was supposed to.

Didn't see him that open much of the time. And no we know he's fragile.

DC

7 minutes ago, Dcronin said:

He's just about a bust. He was not that impressive last year at all. I didn't see him running over the top much at all, or "stretching defenses" like he was supposed to.

Didn't see him that open much of the time. And no we know he's fragile.

DC

How is he suppose to run over the top when you have Fitzpatrick as your qb ?

59 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

How is he suppose to run over the top when you have Fitzpatrick as your qb ?

Well if you remember how he punctured his lung, he ran a route, was wide open, smith way under threw him, he had to come back for the ball. was hit, and got hurt.  So there's that

7 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Oh so you just posted the headline in bold and big letters of an article that was already posted in the thread adding nothing new? Cool. 

Yes I posted the latest news I saw on Yahoo Sports providing information instead of drivel and hate,

51 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

There's a better chance neither of them are on the field at the same time as Jets than there is this becoming a legit connection.

No there isn't.  There's little to no chance that neither sees the field.  Common sense says they'll be on the field sometime in the next 2 years. Both will still be Jets at that time.  

I get it. Devin Smith has all the physical potential in the world but certainly he does not have more of that than Stephen Hill did a few years ago.

I get it, our starting QB last year had a pop gun for an arm and that impacted the Jets offense's ability to threaten the deep ball.

But with that said, there were quite a few catchable balls that Smith flat out dropped and at least a couple of others where he allowed the interception because he would not or could not fight a defender for the ball.  That is flat out not giving effort on the field.  WTF?  All of this separate and aside from his "made of glass" start to his career.  Personally I expect receivers drafted that high to maybe have problems on blocking assignments or with route running in a pro-style offense.  I do not expect them to have problems bringing in very catchable passes or giving effort to fight defenders for the ball.  Not a good start at all.

Smith has all the potential in the world but year one was not a good year and much of that is down to Smith himself.

On 6/7/2016 at 4:24 PM, Jetsplayer21 said:

He is a Homerun great deep threat . However fitz will never reach him. This kid could be huge for geno if fitz isn't around

Geno can throw the ball farther than Fitz but is not accurate. Smith will be pushed by Peake in training camp. Peake is fast and is bigger and more physical than Smith who is a one trick pony as far as I am concerned.

Archived