Wilkerson deal; what does this say about Macc & front office?

Paradis

I'm trying to wrap my head around just what the heck these guys are doing and their style/strategy... I'm somewhere between mesmerized and stumped.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE that we resigned Mo Wilk. I'm all about signing homegrown talent. 100% it's the way to to go. But I can't read the tea leaves or tarot cards.

1- he was dangled heavily as trade bait... Was that legit? Or was that just checking to see value for contract reasons?

2- if they always wanted to resign Mo, and picked up Sheldon's 5th year, then why did we draft Williams? There's a fine line between depth and redundancy. The difference between having Mo, Sheldon and Williams -- and having Mo, Sheldon and Gurley on Sundays is a question worth asking. That's the truth.

3- the decision to talking up Fitz as the desired starter, part of the plan after signing Mo Wilk? But why so public given how quiet he is about everything else.

Every time I think I have this guy figured out, something like this happens and I'm at a loss

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It means that as a GM with a scouting foundation, he knows HOW to CORRECTLY value NFL players and their worth without compromising the team as a whole. Prudent and Firm. 

Maccagnan!!!!!!

13a503dd753b51a9225f1ebd5371acf0.jpg

A Scot that will DEFEND THIS GREEN & WHITE CLAN!!!!!

J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS!!!!!!!

jets22-1-web.jpg

After years of watching Rex bumble about, and the NY Media eat the Jets for breakfast. It's finally great to see a real GM at work. Not a leak, rumour, or hint of what's going on. Maccagnan just punk'd Cimini, he's not got a clue what's going on at 1 Jets Drive.

Jmo ( could be wrong) Only thing that makes sense what happened with signing Wilkerson, is the Jets know something about Sheldon Richardson that we aren't aware of right now.     I wouldn't be surprised if Sheldon Richardson failed another drug test( facing a 10 game suspension).  IT's in the appeal stage right now, and won't hear about it till that process is finished.( league will announce it at that point).

2 hours ago, Paradis said:

I'm trying to wrap my head around just what the heck these guys are doing and their style/strategy... I'm somewhere between mesmerized and stumped.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE that we resigned Mo Wilk. I'm all about signing homegrown talent. 100% it's the way to to go. But I can't read the tea leaves or tarot cards.

1- he was dangled heavily as trade bait... Was that legit? Or was that just checking to see value for contract reasons?

2- if they always wanted to resign Mo, and picked up Sheldon's 5th year, then why did we draft Williams? There's a fine line between depth and redundancy. The difference between having Mo, Sheldon and Williams -- and having Mo, Sheldon and Gurley on Sundays is a question worth asking. That's the truth.

3- the decision to talking up Fitz as the desired starter, part of the plan after signing Mo Wilk? But why so public given how quiet he is about everything else.

Every time I think I have this guy figured out, something like this happens and I'm at a loss

Thoughts?

1) I think they wanted him all along. Plus with Wilkerson leg injury I think the market wasn't there for trade value.

2) The proverbial best player available was Macc thinking. I'm certainly not a fan of the BPA theory. Just because it could overload either one side of your team. In our case DL. We have major issues on the OL and it got even worst with the sudden retirement of D'Brick. Yes, Todd Gurley would look great on this team right now.

3) I wish he can work more magic and bring Fitz back in. With NE having Brady out for 4 games this year we can make it to the playoffs. Messing around with Geno will set the franchise back a little.

I'm still solidly behind Macc. I think he is a true scouts, scout and can fill this team with talent. We haven't really had too many of those around here. Dick Steinberg was probably the last real GM we had and before him we had Kensil and Hickey and some of their drafts were just awful. Although they did draft Klecko, Gastineau, Walker. But passed on Marino and took O'Brien...yikes.

Mac is the anti-Rex.  A soft spoken, quiet smart guy.  Glad he's our GM.

Signing Mo and not forcing the tag on him has now freed up cap space to give Fitz a one year deal and let him go prove himself.

Mac killed 2 birds with one financial stone with this one.

I like him, Bowles and the front office.

I'm ready for the dynasty and I'm holding on to my STs.

2 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

Jmo ( could be wrong) Only thing that makes sense what happened with signing Wilkerson, is the Jets know something about Sheldon Richardson that we aren't aware of right now.     I wouldn't be surprised if Sheldon Richardson failed another drug test( facing a 10 game suspension).  IT's in the appeal stage right now, and won't hear about it till that process is finished.( league will announce it at that point).

The "only" thing that makes sense? Producing since his rookie season, being a consistent player, being a top 100 player the past couple seasons, a probowler and a 2-time 2nd team all pro doesnt warrant a signing? Dude, even I've said in the past that I wouldnt pay him Watt/more than Watt money, but now that Macc has paid him "more than Watt money", im not going to pretend like he didnt deserve that contract. This has everything to do with Mo Wilkerson and his contribution. 

Yeah, I think you could be wrong as well. 

Thank you for the negative slant, it helps keep us grounded

5 hours ago, Paradis said:

Thoughts?

#1. I think the trade bait was legit. I dont think Macc "wanted" to trade Wilk, but I think he was most definitely looking at all options available to him. I think Wilk not being under contract, meaning that the team trading for him would had to have also giving him a blockbuster deal such as what we seen yesterday, along with his broken foot really destroyed the value in return. Why give up a first rounder just to trade for a guy that you must give a blockbuster deal to and him coming off a broken leg when this particular draft strength was the defensive line? Might as well draft a guy and save the money. 

#2. I think they drafted Williams because they seen him as a special talent, and not just the "best player available". It reminds me of the Houston draft a few years back. The Texans needed a QB BADLY, and they also needed a reliable LB'er given Cushing's age and constant injuries. They have the 1st pick in the draft and Jadaveon Clowney is there for the taking. Sure you could draft Bridgewater and take care of your QB situation, sure you could have drafted Khalil Mack who also seemed to be a special talent, but playing at a small school just left some doubts. At the end of the day, this is Jadaveon Clowney. Houston tried to trade down because they didnt want to have this problem. Imagine being the team to actually utilize the pick and pass on Jadaveon Clowney. Houston couldnt trade out of the position and they took the "cant miss" talent. This is similar to the Jets. The world was shocked with the Redskins took Brandon Scherff with the 5th pick in the draft. The Jets didnt expect arguably the best player in the draft to be sitting there at #6. The Jets tried to trade out of the position to see if they could leverage this unexpected situation to their advantage but didnt find a suitor for a trade, so the Jets drafted the special talent. Its hard to argue with it when you decide to take arguably the best talent in the draft instead of a RB already coming in with a serious injury (Remember Dee Milliner?). Dont get me wrong, in hindsight, Gurley is worth that pick, but so was Big Cat. But in the moment you kinda look at it as "having Mo, Shell and Williams is a good problem to have". I most definitely agree, Gurley on this team may have been more valuable when looking at the results, but Big Cat hasnt disappointed. At the time though, Williams was #1 on many peoples big board. Thats hard to ignore, when you're sitting at the 6th spot in the draft and Amari Cooper, Jameis Winston and Marcus Mariota are already off the board, yet arguably the best player in the draft is staring you right in the face. 

#3. Talking up Fitz was to set up Fitz. I think that its now safe to say that contractually Macc knows what the heck he's doing. I think that Macc wanted Fitz back but at his price. Fitz and his agent wanted to cash in and Macc wasnt having it. Decker/Marshall constant man-crush over Fitz caused a blemish on the front office given that it made them look bad as if they werent trying to pay Fitz a fair wage. Macc then went on the defensive. He basically got Decker/Marshall/Bowles/Woody to shut up, provided numbers regarding negotiations publically and basically put the ball in FItz court. Remember, its just recent (about a 5-6 weeks) that we heard anything regarding to numbers from either side. They were silent the entire time during negotiations (like Macc was with Wilk). The problem was Fitz going to charity events talking, Marshall talking, Decker talking, Woody talking, Bowles being questioned about confirming Fitz being the starter if he returned etc. Macc had to fix the perception given that the "word on the street" (Rich Cimini) was that the Jets didnt offer a dollar over 8 million. Macc used all of those negative stories to his advantage when he released what he actually was offering. When people realized that Fitz turned down 12+ million dollars (with incentives based on performance) along with 1 Jets Drive going dark on the topic, Fitz was stuck between a rock and a hard place because now the media cant make up stories of trying to underpay him because now its been made public that not only did he turn down 12+ million, but he also turned down a multi year contract at that. Then you begin to hear the reports about Geno's performance and how he's "light years" ahead of where he was last year as well as virtually no information on the Jets website about Fitz. . Macc played his hand way better than the Harvard grad. Outside of convo's here, generally Jets fans are now beginning to warm up again to Geno Smith just for the fact that "RYAN FITZPATRICK" of all people turned down 12 million dollars. Macc played that sh*t perfectly lol. 

The dude doesnt operate like the typical "genius", given thats what we like to call folks who we really like. He's more of the mad scientist type. He's the type of guy to have Jets fans pissed that he signed Cro to 8 million per season but smart enough to construct the contract in such a way that if Cro doesnt work out its basically a glorified 1 year deal. The type to pay Wilkerson more than JJ Watt when he has Williams and Sheldon on the team both under rookie deals, but smart enough to line up the option year in 2017, the same year that Revis time is up (freeing up cash) and Richardson's rookie deal is done (Possibly being able to sign and keep Sheldon as well). 

Macc is a f'ing winner, but his style is unorthodox, either that or maybe we've had such sh*tty GM's for so many years that having a good one seems hard to understand!

3 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

The only thing that makes sense?  Personally I Think it was just a little game of chicken in the beginning to put the "JJ Watt money" nonsense to rest. This is a pretty fair deal for both sides.  Does not look like a panic move.  If Jets knew something wasa foul with Richatdson I'd assume Mo would probably as well and this deal would look forced.  This just looks like competent from office work.  It's ok though, we are all shocked by it as well.  

3 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

Thanks Nostradamus!!! 

4 minutes ago, JETSfan4life_1 said:

This says the JETS have a GM in place, he keeps business behind close doors and don't expose the organization to garbage media and the likes of reporters like cimini who have no clue whats about to happen.  Thank you Woody, Macc and the rest of the FO team.

Yes.  But as a fan base we sit here astounded by front office competence. Circus has left towns.  Look like Jeys are focusing on building a competitive team and not fishing for headlines .  

We need Mo. Maybe next year we could do without him, but right now he's the most important player on defense. This was a really good deal for us and it makes him tradable in a year or two. 

Sheldon has more talent but is no where near as wise or disciplined. 

Williamson is raw but is all that Mo and Shelly are with edge rushing ability. That's right I said he could be a monster sized edge rusher. You could not pass on him. He could be a game changer this year or next. Then we can flip him around the line like JJ Watt. If he reaches his potential we could keep all 3 of them and have a monster super unit. 

Most likely we'll decide which of these guys to trade in next year or two. Meanwhile we have amazing flexibility. 

5 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

No, the only thing that makes sense is another one of your Jets predictions turned out wrong.  Who would have guessed?

Everyone. 

5 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

Haven't you been talking about how great Wilkerson is all off-season?

I frankly thought we wouldn't get the deal done and that since Fitz isn't here and they have no faith in Geno, we would pull the tag save the money send a message to other players and rebuild. I am glad I was wrong. The only thing better than signing Mo is that I think this deal is great for the Jets. I think this is a good deal for Mo too (a total professional about all of this), but I thought he would hold out for 100m with almost twice the guarantees. This deal keeps Mo here, but it also opens the door for us keeping Sheldon or Leonard. It also shows that Macc can get it done, but without giving away the store.

I hope Mo is happy with his deal. Macc held firm, but sometimes it doesn't work out and you have to walk away. I am glad that neither Mo or Macc felt that way and the deal got done.

Macc for a new comer has done well with some tough situations, took the Brick retirement in stride; he just seems knowledgable and prepared,

As has been said on some of the sports news sites things are usually done at the last minute in the NFL. That goes for everywhere when there's a deadline things get done. But maybe waiting so long and following the Cox and the Miller deals he didn't get the best possible price. The new price for DLs went up during this offseason. Considering what Cox got it's not a bad deal for the Jets. As for the Fitz situaton. Whether you're pro or anti Fitz most of us would have to agree that it's been much too long (6 months) and has added to uncertainty and if Fitz is the starting Qb didn't allow him to practice with the team. Also there could be locker room ramifications. It's different when it's a Qb because he is a leader and runs the offense.You want him on the same page with the coaching staff and with the FO. And in a positive state of mind not feeling that he's at war with the org. 

I'm impressed with Mac's ability to get this massive deal done completely under the radar. I read a few days ago that Wilk's camp was expecting a last minute offer - and that's all I heard. I mean, it's not just the Rex years, this team has been all about very public flashy news going back to Herm. These guys are all business. Loved that news of this deal came right on the heels of Cimini reporting there would be no deal. 

I think the Jets very much did want to trade Mo, though. Mac failed to get his asking price and had to regroup. Having him signed long term is better than having him play on the tag for a year or two before losing him for nothing but a comp pick down the road, so he got it done. Mo's a great player, a total professional on and off the field, really the exact kinda guy you wanna give big money to. 

Having Mo, Sheldon, and the Big Cat continues to be a good problem to have. This contract will look like a bargain by the time we start talking about extending Williams. 

2 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

As has been said on some of the news sites things are usually done at the last minute in the NFL. That goes for everywhere when there's a deadline things get done. But maybe waiting so long and following the Cox and the Miller deals he didn't get the best possible price. The new price for DLs went up during this offseason. Considering what Cox got it's not a bad deal for the Jets. As for the Fitz situaton. Whether you're pro or anti Fitz most of us would have to agree that it's been much too long (6 months) and has added to uncertainty and if Fitz is the starting Qb didn't allow him to practice with the team. Also there could be locker room ramifications. It's different when it's a Qb because he is a leader and runs the offense.You want him on the same page with the coaching staff and with the FO. And in a positive stage of mind not feeling that he's at war with the org. 

It's an offseason contract negotiation yo

lets see what happens around July 27th ... Only 11 days to wait

7 minutes ago, ljr said:

It's an offseason contract negotiation yo

lets see what happens around July 27th ... Only 11 days to wait

Still whichever way it goes it's way too long. And created the one thing all teams don't want: a QB controversy. 

Just now, Rangers9 said:

Still whatever way it goes it's way too long. And created the one thing all teams don't want: a QB controversy. 

Except it hasn't bro

outside of a very small vocal minority ... Mostly at this website ... Almost everyone knows Fitz will be our QB in 2016

there is 1 very bad option & 2 young kids on the roster ... No controversy at all

4 minutes ago, ljr said:

Except it hasn't bro

outside of a very small vocal minority ... Mostly at this website ... Almost everyone knows Fitz will be our QB in 2016

there is 1 very bad option & 2 young kids on the roster ... No controversy at all

Believe me I don't count them. But in the press (which means the entire NFL fan base) and among Jets players there is a Qb controversy. I'm not sure it's going to be settled intelligently. So far mishandled. 

Archived